POLITICAL FOREIGN POLICY

So I'm working on various essay prompts for a final examination in my US foreign policy class.

With all the media coverage of how Russia is still a big bad figure towards the U.S. do you really think this is true? I personally believe our relations with Russia are tense but not nearly as tense or as bad as they were in the cold war.

What thoughts do you /pollacks/ have towards this?

The exact prompt is: Is it possible for the U.S.-Russia relationship to become, on balance, friendly instead of adversarial in the coming years, and why or why not? Either way, what foreign policy goals and tools do you believe the United States should prioritize in its relations with Moscow?

Other urls found in this thread:

time.com/17648/sen-rand-paul-u-s-must-take-strong-action-against-putins-aggression/
nytimes.com/2014/03/07/us/politics/trying-to-revive-his-prospects-rubio-pushes-strength-abroad.html
newday.blogs.cnn.com/2014/03/05/what-we-learned-from-kate-bolduans-interview-with-republican-congressman-paul-ryan/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I mean, nothing can really top the tension of the cuban missile crisis and I think we're far beyond those levels of tension with Russia

Bumpu

Checked

no one wants to discuss htis?

russia doesnt want to fight

american libs want to fight

>So I'm working on various essay prompts for a final examination in my US foreign policy class.
Pic Related
>With all the media coverage of how Russia is still a big bad figure towards the U.S. do you really think this is true? I personally believe our relations with Russia are tense but not nearly as tense or as bad as they were in the cold war.
It's worse than cold war actually. There was a degree of mutual respect and sobriety during cold war, which allowed deescalation of Cuban Missile crisis. Right now, due to overwhelming advantage of US in variety of fields, such as propaganda, geopolitical & economical influence, conventional military power and rojection, etc, it's arrogance makes situation very dangerous. Look no further than Maidan. Can you immagine reaction to communist revolution in canada during cold war? It's not hard to guess what would've happened. Right now US is confident in it's absolute supremacy and willing to take actions that not simply go against RF interests, but disregard them. This is seen as OK, because "regional power with GPD of Italy" can't possibly resist the global hegemon. Well this is where the problem lies. Russian's are culturally very paranoid, violent and ruthless compared to most others. This isn't a big difference on average, but our current leadership consists of ex-KGB and ex-mafia merged to create a state that sees it's national security as more important than any concepts of international law or human decency. They can and will fire off WW3 if they see themselves as cornered. And US is doing it's damnest to corner them.

Cold war had back channels, deescalation protocols. Last time US-RF deescalation hot line was used RF had to wait 27 minutes for a response. I hope there wasn't a decision to be made at 30 minute point of that call.

You have to stop seeing the US as an independent entity. The elites of the western world want Putin gone, because as it is, Russia is one of the only nations left that will fight to defend their sovereignty and interests. The others are Iran and North Korea. Are you seeing the theme yet? These countries are a threat to the globalist ambitions. Relations with them cannot normalize.

Putin's troll army is commandeering Sup Forums by forcing fake news and slide threads:
-->Syria General
-->Marxism/Communism General
-->REsident Trump General
-->Sup Forums Red Pill General
-->Russia/Ukraine/Crimea
-->White Phosphorus
-->Russian Hacker
-->At War With Russia
-->Russophobia
-->Media Lies about Aleppo

Kremlin hackers have literally dominated Sup Forums with dozens of threads

Very much value your opinion from a Russian's perspective of how things are, I did not look at it that way

You're right the U.S. is a conglomeration of entities at this point with global institutions but I'm not about to start writing good on North Korea, I feel there's still too much contraversy and mystery of what goes down there to write about it in this essay and it doesn't really have much to do with Russia.

Now I am very green on what's happening with syria I just figure both sides are terrible and it's a conflict that should be within Syrian govt control because >moderate rebels

Are these wars in Syria anything like the proxy wars U.S. and Russia had with uh Afghanistan war (80s one)?

lol alright man

>The exact prompt is: Is it possible for the U.S.-Russia relationship to become, on balance, friendly instead of adversarial in the coming years, and why or why not? Either way, what foreign policy goals and tools do you believe the United States should prioritize in its relations with Moscow?

Frankly - it is not. The best we can all hope for, is neutrality. Deescalation of propaganda and and some horse trading can move us away from a hot war, but not to friendship. 90s alone destroyed russian trust in the west as an honest broker, it was rolling downhill from there. further and further. The british defence minister outright stated that russia can't be treated as an equal by western nations. The amount of russophobia is staggering to be frank. Red Menace McCarthyism is back in business full force, no holds barren. Now with more bears. Russia is blamed for everything from Trump to rape of germans by refugees. Meanwhile in the motherland saying we can eradicate all life in US and we will do it if necessary is not something that leads to gulps and protest, but something to smirk at, or just call it tewsday.

>everything I don't like is propaganda by kremlin

See, that's the shit I mean. This fool probably doesn't even realise that we are the most anitmarxist country on the fucking planet because like germans know their nazies, we know what marxism really means.

Thank you for your time and perspective Russian poster

Now are there any other Americans who want to discuss this? I don't mind hearing what Russians have to say about it but it can't be leaning too much one way

Hang in Russiabro. We don't want war, the Liberals want war. We have Trump now. Once he's in, most of their nonsense and pushing for war will be over.

posting isn't hacking, moron

Ignore the threads you don't like, post your disagreement on ones you don't agree with, and sage any shill threads

Free speech board, let the Russians have their god damn say. Are you afraid that we will find out they aren't the bogeymen that the democrats and liberals say they are?

That's the point. You hear about how horrible Assad and best Korea are because they oppose western interests. We never hear anything about Kazachstan or Myanmar or any other place which doesn't adhere to western Liberal values or human rights. The West browbeats everyone into submission. Russia fights back, with Military means if need be. This is why we will never get warm relations.

OP here, I guess another question I want to pose here is what are the SPECIFIC things contributing towards hating Russia and fucking up our relations? Because I don't think sanctions and the Syrian war are helping at all. Keep in mind this is an academic kinda paper I can't just say hillary and muh libs fucking everything up.

>Are these wars in Syria anything like the proxy wars U.S. and Russia had with uh Afghanistan war (80s one)?

Very much so, but worse. Syria is quite modern, and it's infrastructure is getting levelled in the conflict. I can explain my outlook of the whole fair if you wish, but it is best you do your own research on the matter and come to your own conclusions.

I'm going to guess that Assad is pro Russia and the U.S. doesn't want any of that so they're willing to arm "moderate rebels" to destabilize the nation even more. Similar to when the U.S. intervened in Chile by getting rid of Allende. (not to sympathize with that commi fuck)

>OP here, I guess another question I want to pose here is what are the SPECIFIC things contributing towards hating Russia and fucking up our relations? It's quite simple. US wants global hegemony and empire. Russia wants its sphere of influence respected and doesn't want to bow to unipolar world for two simple reasons.

1) We did it in 90s and it destroyed what little economy survived perestroika,
2) As one Sup Forumsack apple merchant said. "Unipolar world is a shitshow'.

To elaborate on second point - US is yet to produce an intervention that improved quality of life in the region. Oh there probably is an exception or two, but it's, and it's allies, interventions and colour revolutions inevitably cause collapse of society in the region due to it's shortsightedness and the fact that it's foreign policy is aimed not to serve itself as a geopolitical entity, not to serve the world as world police, but to serve it's MIC as a corporate welfare donor or even geopolitical interests of Israel and KAS.

gonna bump this up. but anyway our textbook we use was written by this guy Jentleson who created this 4 P's framework for American foreign policy based around:

Power
Prosperity
Peace
Principles

Personally it only feels as if Power and Prosperity are the only things being pushed right now, that "peace" is only peace for our nation and allies and war for everyone else and principles seem to be thrown out the trash.

Western principles respect sovereignty and independence and it doesn't seem as if the U.S. is really doing that anymore. It feels more like if you go against the west's principles now it's war. I mean, compared to like pre WW1 era of just letting countries fuck off unless they attack us

Good post Russki. The good news is a lot of the so-called alt-right is warm towards Russia. I doubt Trump is as friendly as he seems but I'm certain he'll at least deal honestly with Vlad. The left is hostile towards you but anti-war at heart so hopefully this hostility will subside. Meanwhile the right has admired Putin's seemingly patriotic leadership and doesn't need much of a push to see Russia as they do any other European country.

In terms of geopolitics it would be very difficult for Russia/US to ally because of US allies in east Europe. It would require an immense amount of trust and for Russia to give up its regional ambitions in east Europe. A US/Europe/Russia axis aligned against China makes a lot of sense though

Bumping again on more opinions and perspectives

>Are you afraid that we will find out they aren't the bogeymen that the democrats and liberals say they are?
You probably are far too young to remember the the 2008 elections when Romney declared Russia to be the worlds #1 geopolitical enemy.

Or the Russian incursion into Georgia where the GOP, tea party, et al sided with Saakashvili's "freedom fighters".

Or Palin talking about Putin "rearing his ugly head"

Or any mainstream newspaper that was compared to state-owned "Pravda" if it didn't parrot the Republican talking points.

Or even more recently Ted Cruz calling Putin a "tyrant".

Or Rand Pauls rant against Russia:
time.com/17648/sen-rand-paul-u-s-must-take-strong-action-against-putins-aggression/

Marco Rubio and Tom Cotton?
nytimes.com/2014/03/07/us/politics/trying-to-revive-his-prospects-rubio-pushes-strength-abroad.html

Paul Ryan blames unrest on Putin:
newday.blogs.cnn.com/2014/03/05/what-we-learned-from-kate-bolduans-interview-with-republican-congressman-paul-ryan/

There has never been a single month since the Joseph McCarthy walked the halls of Congress that the right-wing conservatives weren't shrieking and shitting their shorts over whatever Russia was up to.

Besides, the "liberals" are the big tent multiculturalists who have always loved Russians but are rightfully wary of meglomaniacal leaders like Putin.

more bumps

RIP thread