Son's Homework

What are your thoughts on common core, Sup Forums? Pic related is my son's homework. This is how the state of Texas is teaching your children. Let this sink in. This is why China is out-performing us in education.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ErL9zPHdH4A
icoachmath.com/math_dictionary/fair_game.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

do you mean your wife's son?

The fuck?

obviously it's your fault. You live in a spic community because you hate your son.

this can't be real

but the correct answer is not enough information

José BTFO, has to go back

Fuck off

Get your shit together José

The correct answer is that it's impossible to know, maybe the game is fair and Jose is just shit at it.

I know that you know this, but I would be interested to see how such an answer was marked.

>José

The game is fair if they both get trophies.

Mirga wins: 100%. She has won more than Jose.

The game is fair, it's just that Jose is a lazy beaner and can't compete. He has to go back.

tfw, you realize the game was how many people you could fuck in a week.

How can you know if the game is fair when they don't say what game they play?

>using beaner names
>girl wins all the time
>game is unfair if one person is better at it
So much cultural marxism in this image

Fair only has to do with money, and it is only fair if the expected value is $0

Obviously unfair. Josè cheated.

Every other problem involving mathematical probability is worded this way.

ya you laugh but this is teaching children to think in a following way "if two people don't have equal outcome in life, something is not fair".

and then be surprised when bernie stalinsky's grandson win's the presidency in 40 years.

Is this suppose to be maths?

Go by the genders. She's winning so it's fair. If he wins, tip the table over and blame Russia.

It's fair, Jose just needs to git gud.

Yes, it's his math homework.

Fpbp

texas doesn't use common core nigger

is the probably 26/32s?

Fuckin kek

Muh fair playing. I mean what the fuck does it mean? Someone has to lose the goddamn game jesus fucking nigger tap dancing christ.

Because equality of opportunity is obviously determined by an equality of outcome you insensitive cisgender neonazi!!!

If their game was fair they would have each won and equal number of times! If one of them was a fucking White Male we could put it down to the shitlord cheating but since they're both PoC is means the game isn't fair.

Fucking educate yourself.

>This is why China is out-performing us in education.

You've obviously never met a chink in your life. They are like the niggers of Asia.

youtube.com/watch?v=ErL9zPHdH4A

TRIGGEREEDD

Explain pic related then, I live in Southern Texas. Read it and weep.

this is completely unfair and shows an objective systematic failure of the justice system based solely on gender biased towards single mothers. while mirga won 26 child custody cases, jose only won 6.

theres probably a better example some clever user can come up with to demonstrate winning isnt a good thing.

>>>/reddit/
you have to go back

maybe José can learn to play better and not blame the system?

>FORCING CHILDREN TO ASK QUESTIONS AND RECEIVE CRITICISM
>WE ARE UNDER ATTACK, WE MUST PROTECT OUT SCHOOLS

how fucking paranoid are you conservatives holy shit

>Do you think the game is fair? explain
how is this even a legitimate question

What's wrong with this question?

Obviously the answer to the second question is that the game is fair and Mirga is better at it. If the kid answers that the game is unfair then the teacher can talk about equality of outcome vs equality of opportunity.

Yes the game is fair, Jose is retarded for not knowing how to cheat tic-tac-toe.

You do realize the latter isn't going to happen right? The problem is providing an irrelevant question with not enough information. You can't say said game is fair, because you don't know how they were playing the game.

It depends on how the teacher grades the 2nd answer.

The right answer for #2 is "Indeterminate, unknown factors such as type of game, skill, etc"

If the teacher agrees with that answer, then its fine.

Question 2 has literally nothing to do with mathematics, it's a philosophical discussion

ur all dum

have a math degree

what the question means by "fair" is that there is an equal chance of either person winning. I know you're trying to see how they politicized this, but yeah it's a stats problem....

mirga 26
jose 6

sample prob(mirga win)=26/32
sample prob(jose win)=6/32

now need to do a confidence test

h0= p(mirga win)=p(jose win)=.5

then you do some other shit and basically the answer is supposed to be "no it's not fair"

I meant the problem as a whole. I am very aware Question #2 isn't maths, why else would I be here?

Yes, the game is fair, as the total number of wins by both sides equals the number of games played. For example, this is in contrast to Clinton's results in some of the districts of Detroit where numbers did not match.

>why else would I be here

>probability
yeah sure that's fine, what's the bi-
>fair
holy fuck..

and you're supposed to take the meaning of fair like we use "fair die"=all 6 sides show up with equal probability, and "fair coin"= both heads and tails have .5 chance of being landed on.... so if it's a MATHEMATICALLY FAIR game, it means everyone has an equal chance of winning. that's what "fair" means if you're doing mathematics/statistics. it's different than the social meaning of "fair"

It isn't. They're injecting politics into math. We don't know what game they are playing so it could be a fair game that Mirga is (probably) better at, or a game rigged in her favor.

What they want kids to say is "The game isn't fair because José doesn't get to win as much", indoctrinating them into Marxist thought.

You don't even have enough information to even philosophically discuss it.

Two people play a game.
One person wins more than the other person.
Is the game unfair?

If could be completely fair and one person just sucks at it.
They sure are forcing lib values on young kids.

lol maybe it's just a life lesson that women and Jose's are going to be presenting their circumstances to you like this until the day you die

Then that's the correct answer. But you could also say that since both parties agreed to the rules of the game that it's safe to presume that the game is fair, even though there is insufficient information to safely conclude so. Anyways, the only answer that is indefensible is assuming that the game is unfair, why would José agree to play if that was the case? Note that fair or unfair is not the same as saying that Mirga is cheating.

see

See my other post I am aware Q2 isn't maths

#2: Jose needs to git gud

Whenever I've had ambiguous questions in tests (and it happens often) the best way of answering is

>assuming x is true answer is a
>assuming y is true answer is b

So assuming they are of equal skill level, the game seems to favor Mirga and it's unfair.

If you assume Mirga is more skilled then it is reasonable that Mirga won much more often.

Very few problems in real life are straightforward to answer so I don't see anything wrong with this as long as the teacher points out that the answer isn't straightforward.

@everyone in this thread

if you're in the context of math, "FAIR GAME" means each player has an equal chance of winning. And the math needed to solve the problem is OPs post is above what they teach to kids, so no this isn't common core bullshit.

>why would José agree to play if that was the case

forced by drug cartel at gunpoint

>what the question means by "fair" is that there is an equal chance of either person winning.

Nope. The word "fair" has a very sensitive meaning in education, if this has bypassed you maybe you need a little booking yourself.

They are also nudging the little kiddies in the direction of standard deviation and the law of large numbers.

If the rules are the same for all players then by definition the game is fair.

Can someone please tell me what Common Core is and why Trump wants to get rid of it? I tried looking it up, but I still don't understand what it is.

fucking cultural marxist indoctrination REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

This is that God damned indoctrination they always talk about. Jose the shiteating spic doesn't have enough points because he's too lazy to put in any effort however since poor wittle bitty Jose doesn't have enough points the game is unfair and should be scrapped.

>sending your kid to a shitty public school
>WAHHHH WHY AINT DA GUBBAMINT MAKING MY KID A GENIUS THERE ARE HISPANIC NAMES IN ASSIGNMENTS
lmao

>but the correct answer is not enough information

Probability is a measure of belief (if you are a Bayesian). In that case it is enough information to calculate a probability.

It's still insufficient information due to the sample size being small, maybe she just got lucky.

presumably, in the course material, they defined precisely what they meant by "fairness" in the mathematical context and that's what students are supposed to reference when answering this question.

I have a degree in math dude. Saying "fair" game is a really convenient way of writing "each of the potential outcomes is equally likely"

Do you think the game is fair?
Is any of this fair?

You best be trolling son. They're playing
>"a game"
What if they're playing chess and Mirga's a grandmaster? We don't know, so you can't calculate odds like that.

Basically this. But that axiom was not established and cannot be assumed.

Based on the data provided, it could be inferred that Mirga is more skilled at the game that she (he?) and Jose are playing, and thus, would win more often, naturally.

There is enough info for doing homework.

(jose wins)/(times played) = P
You can also multiply it by 100 if you want the result in %.

Number 2 is very simple:

You don't know about how much does individual skill influence the results of the game(fencing is entirely skill-based while dice isn't skill-based at all) and you don't know about the individual skill of the players either.

>both parties agreed
Agreeing to rules doesn't make the game fair, you're assuming that one acknowledged the unjust in the game and would refuse to play. That information isn't provided. It may be a sound assumption, but with a problem like this it shouldn't need that amount of reasoning. It can go on, did José agree to the unfair rules? How would you know? He wouldn't have played knowing they were unfair? Assumption. Agreeing to unfair rules doesn't make the rules fair. He just agreed to play an unfair game.

well, portugal, you're on the right track. but this particular problem, depending on what confidence level you use (your alpha), you're actually going to reject the null hypothesis that it's a fair game. It won't be a 100% rejection (it never is), but you WILL reject at the 95% level, which is the standard in most cases. No sample size is too small

>José

A man's life isn't fair. It's bitter and harsh like the bite of alcohol but a strong man gets over it and keeps on chugging.

Mirga may have won the most games but José won the games that mattered and therefore gets to be class presidente.

lrn2math

>fencing
>skill based

Pick one.

HEMA master race, reporting in.

chess actually is mathematically proven to not be a fair game. the person who goes first wins every time (if they weren't fucking RETARDED)

The problem with common core is that it's a lousy way to teach, and often questions are left ambiguous.

>the largest indicator of student success is parental involvement.

So get back to helping your wife's son so he passes he graduates higher in his class.

Do they want the number of times each of them won, or what?

>missing the point by a kilometer

Actually, Canada being better at Finland at hockey doesn't mean that hockey is an unfair game.

"Fair", in this context be caused we are given limited information, should be read as equal probability to win.

Say the game was flipping coins, if maria is winning 83% of the time, then you should reasonably suspect that something is unfair about the game.

Sorry you're retarded and don't understand homework designed to challenge your intuition with open ended reasoning questions.

Good luck raising a moron

>using the metric system

This is a math question though dipshit

The leaf was right and you're an idiot

it says quite clearly they played a game and completed the table below. It does not say the table relates to the game or that it relates to win or lose or times played.

> no sample size is too small
So one game isn't too small?

Well yea you're right, it was just a common sense assumption, but it leads down a rabbit hole of assumptions.

>assuming that the coin flips 50/50 even after only 32 times.
kek. It's 50/50 in the sense there are only 2 possibilities.
kek

1. Mirga: 26 / 32
José: 6 / 32
2. If the game relies purely in random mechanics then the game might be biased. If the game rewards skilled players then it means Mirga is much more skilled than José.

There is a 50/50 chance the coin will land on either heads or tails during each flip. This doesn't mean that the probability for 100 flips is 50/50. Each flip is an independent case.

Didn't mean to post kek twice.

>50/50 as lim->∞
>32 flips

Yeah was thinking about that as I was writing. Thought some smartass would respond suggesting 0 games desu, but 1 also.

Nah I think you cal still solve the problem with just 1 game, but the answer (degree of confidence) is going to change most likely.

So with the example in OP, you would find the game is not fair at 95% confidence.

If there was only one trial and maria one, you can still "solve" it, but the conclusion would be "not enough evidence to reject assumption that the game is fair" (which basically means the game IS fair...)

This is true.