Red Pill me on Green Power special interests

Arguing with someone about how carbon taxes are a scam. I need memes, links and articles.

I can't seem to find the guy who is pro-green energy in the United States but is also investing in Coal industry in China, can anyone help me?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/environment/2015/aug/19/climate-philanthropist-george-soros-invests-millions-in-coal
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_electricity_by_source
businessinsider.com/the-cost-of-solar-power-is-now-cheaper-than-coal-in-this-country-2016-4?client=safari
m.miningweekly.com/article/csir-cost-study-shows-new-solar-wind-to-be-40-cheaper-than-new-coal-2016-10-17/rep_id:3861
oilprice.com/Alternative-Energy/Solar-Energy/Solar-Really-Can-Be-Cheaper-Than-Coal.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The ultimate argument is that you can't fix the acidifying oceans, runaway warming, and the mass extinction of species with taxes or laws.

It's like trying to negotiate with a hurricane.

Anyone familiar with the science knows we've already passed the tipping point.

desu i don't see anything wrong with exploring alternate energy as long as we don't neuter our fossil fuel shit

Bump, I'm trying to redpilll him on Nuclear but I need to prove to him that most people who support green energy are corrupt

>runaway warming meme

t. pseudo intellectual cuck

If runaway warming was a thing it would have happened millions of years ago when there was far more CO2 in the air, and the sun was more intense.

I love it when people always take a picture of the cooling towers. It's just water vapor.

Thats like saying we cant stop hurricanes, so we should just repeal the building codes that require buildings be able to resist them, and quit funding the agencies that detect them and warn people.

Yea potentially radioactive water vapor. Enjoy your radiation leakage.

Not how it works.

theguardian.com/environment/2015/aug/19/climate-philanthropist-george-soros-invests-millions-in-coal

Old money has a monopoly on energy. New money wants to get in on the big energy bucks. New money creates climate change narrative and pushes for "clean" energy. New money now controls their own energy monopoly.

That is and isn't how it works. There are open loop and closed loop nuclear plants. Neither give off any level of radiation that is dangerous to humans.

You have to define corrupt.

I mean, our new Secretary of State stands to earn billions of dollars in a deal with Russian oil companies that is currently on hold, if the sanctions against Russia are repealed.

The guy in charge of helping Trump decide if we should lift sanctions will make a fortune if they are lifted.

Is that corruption?

There is no such thing as an "open loop" nuclear plant.

In any case water vapor from a cooling tower is never radioactive.

I said "potentially".

As in if something goes wrong.

Well yea. Any technology comes with a risk/benefit analysis.

But considering that there are 450 commercial nuclear reactors worldwide and in over 60 years of civilian nuclear power generation there have been only 3 major accidents, the safety record is quite good.

>I'm arguing a position that I don't have facts to back up
>Quick somebody educate me so I can keep going

Sounds like Sup Forums to me.

What's #3?

3 mile? I'm not sure that qualifies as major.

>Nuclear's perfectly fine, and people supporting green energy aren't necessarily corrupt. Both things can be okay.

that's kind of the problem, there's definitely potential in renewable energy sources and damn good reasons to invest in them, but they're not up to snuff right now and people want to force everyone to stop using actually cost/ energy efficient fuel right now because of bad omens that were supposed to have happened a decade ago

Lets see, 450 reactors, 60 years, three accidents.

That means there is only a 4% chance every year that a city with a nuclear reactor gets wiped out!

You didn't read my post faggot

Thanks, I need more though

The only method we have currently of generating green energy capable of base-load capacity is nuclear. Nuclear plants do not emit greenhouse gases as there is no combustion to generate the heat necessary for steam for a turbine.

Solar panels as they are now have incredibly low efficiency and are not useful in areas where sunlight does not happen consistently. Also 99.999 percent pure silica is necessary to make key components of most solar panels. To do this silica needs to be smelted, which releases more CO2 then will be saved during a solar panel's lifetime.

Wind turbines have similar efficiency and also are only useful in certain areas that get high enough, and regular enough wind speeds. Making them also useless in a lot of areas.

Most other green energy sources are only in the prototype stage.

In summary, only nuclear power is capable of meeting the energy needs of the present and future without producing greenhouse gas emissions. However uneducated leftist cunts will never let it happen because their mind goes straight to Fukushima, and if they are even more retarded, Hiroshima.

t.Chemical Engineer

It doesnt, strictly speaking.

But even if it didnt cause permanent evacuations and contamination like fukushima and chernobyl it was still a partial meltdown.

It still resulted in a wrecked reactor and in a 1$ billion dollar cleanup.
It also caused a media frenzy which impacted the industry greatly so i think it deserves to be called a major accident.

Is cleaner but in general it can't compete with carbon or nuclear because these r cheaper, maybe hydroelectric can in long term, here we got a lot, but wind or sun must be subsidized

Thats a bad calculation.

Nuclear power reactors have now racked up 16947 combined reactor-years of operation.

Now do the same calculation again.

The industry was started by (((leftists))) to make bank on a lie.

Dunno man, the CEI and AEI is usually the one in charge of anti-science propaganda go check their resources

Best of luck

Bad goy, there are too many shekels in play to risk letting oil futures sink

>implying we shouldn't

Fuck the liberal coast scum

Gas the atmosphere, eco-war now

>yfw solar is now cheaper than coal (at least in the US)
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_electricity_by_source
businessinsider.com/the-cost-of-solar-power-is-now-cheaper-than-coal-in-this-country-2016-4?client=safari
m.miningweekly.com/article/csir-cost-study-shows-new-solar-wind-to-be-40-cheaper-than-new-coal-2016-10-17/rep_id:3861
oilprice.com/Alternative-Energy/Solar-Energy/Solar-Really-Can-Be-Cheaper-Than-Coal.html

>If runaway warming was a thing it would have happened millions of years ago

Except it did happen you illiterate eater, that's partly how the 'snowball Earth' period ended. The planet's environment has changed multiple times and ecosystems change over millions of years, which is why the atmospheric composition of Earth has changed over time. But this isn't just about runaway warming, this about a mass extinction event we're already balls deep in.

No, because none of the 'regulations' are actually helping people prepare for what's coming. If everyone shut down and went full anarcho-primitivist tomorrow it wouldn't stop the momentum.

Thats bullshit. Let me tell you why.

What they never put in these calculations is how much more it costs to run a grid on intermittent electricity sources. They never put the cost of the massive expansion of grids and the construction costs of the energy storage facilities (often pumped hydro) into the end result.

What they also forget is that renewables have lower capacity factors.
So you end up needing 7GW of solar to replace 1GW of coal/nuclear.

So it isnt as easy as these apple to orange comparisons make it seem.

why would u argue with someone when u don't know what you're talking about