Space Colonization

So Sup Forums, let's imagine that until the dawn of the new century we will have colonized Mars/Venus/something else.
What is your view on that? Do you think the colonization will be undertaken by governments or multinationals? Will these colonies become independent countries? How is trade going to be regulated?
Will we make the same mistakes of the colonial period here on earth?

Religions will be the first to colonize space. The two main groups will be space Mormons and space Muslims. They will do battle until all is destroyed

You can't be serious?

We can't leave earth.

WE ARE TOAST.
We will never leave the solar system, ever.
"it's simply too big"

just accept it and enjoy the show while it lasts.

The initial colonies will be public-private partnerships, but over time will become more privatised as asteroid mining becomes very profitable. At some point once the space economy/population gets large and sustainable enough, SJWs will start their autistic screech cycle and humanities professors will start calling for nationalization to prevent neo-colonialist social structures from becoming entrenched.

This. We can barely get to Mars without being irradiated to death by cosmic radiation, let alone survive getting all the way out to the Oort Cloud.

And 60 years ago we couldn't leave the atmoshpere

To much Gudam mokey bro.

Yeah fuck you--we have to try faggot.

Territories should be established to take in colonists from said countries and ethnicities. Mars would be a mostly a temperate forest world (much like north america,Europe, and east Asia), with the southern territories being arid desert (alike that of central america, east Asia, and north Africa).
So the population of Mars would be majority Caucasian/Asian/Inuit (with some smaller minority groups in their respected territories).
Venus on the other hand, being a much hotter, jungle world, would have colonists from more tropical regions.

It's fantastical thinking, selling snake-oil to fund their jobs and fun-time rocketships. Most people don't want to acknowledge how huge that Oort cloud is, for example.

The new COD was pretty cool desu

>implying humans can even leave the atmosphere
>falling for the space Jew hoax
>not realizing that any humans who leave the atmosphere die and everything you've seen is just government propaganda

Mars is too close to the sun and Venus is a toxic planet.

Everyone but Jews, no way we are going t colonize mars/venus with those rats running around.

Can't we just send VR droids into the depths O space.... and stay home, all collectively committing suicide once the suns supernova?

Eventually they will become independent countries I have no doubt about that. Curious to know how it will happen though.

Nice quads, Venus is only uninhabitable because of its CO2 concentration, takes the CO2 from venus, put it on mars, convert the rest to O2 and H2O and you got yourself a planet.

Space exploration is a lie. The best we will ever do is send some rovers to pluto and mercury and some advanced probes to the outer solar system.

I think we should work on biodome cities and countries beforehand to ensure humanity survives and suckerpunch meteor or hyper super volcanoes erupting buckets before colonizing space.
We have the tech already, really. Just no real drive to do so.

As for colonization, Venus would be almost impossible due to its heat and atmosphere.

You should. Space exploration pushes scientific advancement to its limits.

However, the cosmic radiation/occasional solar flare is the largest concern of any space mission, and only get worse the longer you stay out in space. Since the solar system is so massive, and the space between this one and the next is even worse, you'd have to contend with the fact your cancer will have cancer. Your immune system will get all kinds of fucked up (not sure why that happens), and your bones will suffer some serious remodeling.

Until we find a decent way to block that radiation, any and all space travel passed mars would just kill the astronauts.

Better repost this shit after the idiot americans go to bed

Nobody has the industrial strength for something like that.

First by government agencies like NASA, ESA, ROSCOSMOS.

Then by private companies like space-x, lockheed etc.

I guess astronauts will eventually be able to bring their families with them if they have long missions.

Building / operating facilites / science / extracting Minerals etc.

Then you will have schools for the kids and from there it takes off.

Mostly for Mars.

Only habitable places are Mars, the Moon and possibly other solar system moons.

We've not even colonized Antarctica, what makes you think we'll colonize a place 1 million times more inhospitable.

NASA is a joke in the USA. It lost so much power in the last half decade. The idea that we will make the moon livable when we can't even fix half the earth.... well buddy that's just crazy.

The solar wind would strip the atmosphere you just put on mars away in fairly short order.

Also, being on Mars isn't all that much better than being in space, not because it has a magnetosphere, but because at least the ground will protect you from getting irradiated beneath your feet as well.

What's your plan to deal with the lack of a magnetosphere?

Yes, sustainable self-contained ecosystems are probably a necessary intermediate technology for achieving sustainable space colonies and ultimately humanity's long-run survival.

Fun-fact: Donald Trump's top political advisor Steve Bannon once ran the Biosphere 2 experiment.

America does.
Shit, I'm sure others do too. All you need is to make an enclosed space, air filtration systems, artificial sunlight lamps, etc and you have a Chrono Trigger dome that will keep you and a million others alive in the event of the sun being blocked out big time.
Only issues are: does America care?
Does America want to spend money on that instead of hoarding it like it will matter when it's worthless in a scenario involving world ending events?
How will the idiots fuck it up?
And will going from dome to dome be a death walk or a cozy heated walk through underground walkways?

They probably think they can just inject a molten lead iron core and it will work and retain atmosphere. Star Trek Marxists.

We are structurally coupled to the Earth, true.

Is there any truth to the MARS series claim that we will be irradiated on the surface of Mars unless we build colonies in lava tubes / underground?

And what are humans going to do when the earth's core freezes, the Van Allen belt disappears, and our atmosphere is blown away?

Going to Mars is a lot more simple than fixing half the Earth.

Granted the process of making mars / moon liveable for family standards is going to be a long process.

The speed of it depends on how profitable it will be for private companies to pursue.

Right now NASA's goal is to get the first astronauts on Mars by mid 30's.

It's a huge challenge, but if we don't solve it humanity will die anyways, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Go ahead and find the investors willing to do that. It's not possible, or viable. Maybe for one crazy city like San Fran, with their taxes and whatnot, but an entire population? For how long? Millenia? Are we building spaceships under the ocean now? Go write a novel, you bad hombre.

>The radiation problem is impossible to solve

Thanks for making an argument against nuclear power.

>not possible or viable
It remains to be seen, really.

>Going to Mars is a lot more simple than fixing half the Earth

for the select few astronauts you send on the earthling's dime. The rest of us will choose to starve? Shit bait, or you've never taken a real interest in astronomy.

>SJWs will start their autistic screech cycle
kek

Wait are you comparing entire Suns radiation to a nuclear plant on earth?

>And what are humans going to do when the earth's core freezes, the Van Allen belt disappears, and our atmosphere is blown away?
Here's what "humans" (Australopithecus afarensis) looked like roughly 3 million years ago. If our lineage survives long enough to see those things happen, it certainly wouldn't be human anymore.

Why would anyone colonize Mars when even a fucked up by global warming Earth is a thousand times more habitable than Mars?
And anyway, large scale colonization isn't going to happen unless we discover new physics that allows us to somehow work around conservation of momentum.

>The rest of us will choose to starve?

Why would the rest of us starve?

Did the rest of humanity starve when the Apollo astronauts landed on the Moon?

Why do these people want to be Superheros and save the earth 4 billion years from now, but not today?

Andrew procrastination, focusing on insane ideas like being a superhero futuregod, instead of focusing on bettering the world starting with their own lives.

if we can meme the presidency we can meme our way to mars

Space is inhospitable, but the idea is that we have to become a multi-planetary species to guard against existential risks that could degrade the Earth's ability to support life.

The topic, unless I misunderstand, is saving human genes to infect the solar system. You don't have much time, you'll save a few if you try your hardest, starting today, but most of us would rot here while the elites get their tickets. C'mon you know I'm right. What do we have, 2k years max before we're toast? I doubt we'll live to see the supernova Sun.
>inb4 astronomy is jewish

I think it's mostly because they don't fully understand how badly space wants to kill them. I want space programs to continue doing what they're doing, as it gives scientists a very unique set of problems to work out and solve. However, thinking that we'll be able to achieve some Legend of the Galatic Heroes levels of civilization, is more than far fetched.

Andrew=*Answer*
is that autism?

Titan is already far more habitable than our own moon. The longer time in space is more than offset by the fact that you'll have an atmosphere and literally be rolling in a source of plastics and fuel when you get there.

I was reference to a non apocalyptic scenario.

The goal the way I see it is simple curiosity. Most of our science and technology has been a result of trying to answer fundamental questions about our universe.

>Mechanics
>Thermodynamics
>Electromagnetism
>Quantum Mechanics
>Relativity Theory
>etc.

A lot of new public and private tech in recent decades was a result of the Apollo missions and Solar System exploration.

How long humanity in a broad sense has left on Earth is a question with too many variables for me to estimate.

I'm hoping we will be relatively fine for many millennia to come.

(they) don't ever state a clear end-goal. What.. to perpetuate our human life into Oort cloud, then what? What's the point?

If they have such a hardon for helping human life why don't they bump off Sup Forums and go start a for-charity moving service or something?

It's all an ego trip. They want Star Trek, and for all of us to pay for it, while they get the credit for passing our shitty DNA into space some inconsequential distance.

I don't disagree with any of this, "here's hoping"

It's not necessary to have some concrete "goal" or justification for trying to achieve sustainable multiplanetary living beyond just "we need more time to figure stuff out".

Nothing wrong with trying but space is a whole different dimension from simply discovering new continents on earth, getting something just to space or into orbit alone. All this stuff is a bad joke compared to (interstellar) space travel.
Radiation, Life support (regarding manned flights), computer system durability, time consumption and more stuff. Transhumanism is a must for this, that's for sure.

That kind of speech is not going to win your spaceboywars project many investors, taxpayers included (they won't care until the problem is on their doorstep demonstrably).

Private investors can try their hand sure. I'm sure the billionaires and investor groups will rocket their asses to some intrasolar hellscape when the time comes.

>Tfw these are the most beautiful images / responses I've seen on Sup Forums

Kek confirms hope in chaos is the way

Of course we will make same mistakes but in a different context. I think if we colonize Mars, Europa etc. in the future it will be a sovereign nation with corporatism in charge. I do not think Earth will change it is governing system but it will be different in outer human colonies. Let's pray that there will be few mistakes.

This is true, part of what I've been saying.
There IS enough gold on earth but nobody, not one group, has the power to enact and sustain such an effort (currently, as you pointed out). Hysterical thinking.

checked

Checked.

Denmark bringing it home.

If we started building craft in space we could line them with stuff like lead and make them massive enough to have hangars for smaller craft to shuttle down to planet surfaces.

All those logistics man.
I've played KSP with the RSS mod
>inb4 hurr you autist,think you're an astronaut now
and you have to plan everything very well, even if you just want to go to the Earth's Moon.
I'm fucking impressed how Space agencies send out all those probes so (relatively) precisely to their destinations out there to the other Planets, considering it is like trying to throw a ball into a basket that is millions of miles away and making not only sure that it crosses the same path that basket is moving through but that it lands there in the right time.

Yeah we could probably do that if we really tried but the more mass, the more fuel you need and that means that you would need more fuel to be able to move that mass enough to reach your destination without running out of fuel that you need to make important course corrections. There is a reason why manned space flight to further destinations is a pretty damn hard nut to crack.

I'm kind of worried that the majority of martians will be american. I'm also kind of worried the US is going to try to claim all of mars as theirs as some point.