Watching The Man in the High Castle got me interested in reading the book...

Watching The Man in the High Castle got me interested in reading the book, and reading the book got me interested in alternate history. Certainly, there don't seem many genres of fiction quite so potentially politically charged, and I do recall you liking to debate historical subjects.

Do you like alternate history fiction, Sup Forums? Which kinds? How do you feel about the genre? What about it do you like and dislike?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C7VAxt7Dhs8
youtube.com/watch?v=_YCTxxKbTOM&t=18s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I like it when an alternative history comes into reality

How often is that?

Alternative history is fucking awesome

Read The Difference Engine by William Gibson, which is about a world where Babbage makes his mechanical computer work, it gets mass produced, and the Information Age starts in the 19th Century

See, now there's an interesting point for discussion: beyond the book, do you think that would've actually been a plausible path for history to take? Based on your own knowledge of history and the figures and technologies involved, do you think that, "had only Babbage succeeded" we really might've seen events unfolding like they did in the book?

Who knows? I think mostly it's used as a way to talk about how computers have changed society, by putting various Information Age issues into Victorian society, while telling a kickass story. The part where Sam Houston pirates the one guy's program is glorious

>he copied the cards and then returned them to me
>but isn't that... stealing, somehow?
>how? I've still got my cards, like he says

They should make this story but for the American Civil War. Foreign powers would have begun interacting with the newly defined CSA and USA. The west was still to be settled between California and Kansas, for the most part empty. You had UK and Canada still longing for Oregon country. Etc etc.

Would the transcontinental railroad ever have happened if the CSA won and there were two nations?

Dumb. Selling someone's authored words without their permission to do so was enforced in court in those days. This wouldn't have been seen any differently.

Read the series about alien invasion during world War two by Harry turtledove. It has atrocious writing but great story.

All those alternative history books and non of them mention jews winning

This is probably the only show I know of that is about alternative history. Whats sad is how much better off everything looks in the show vs reality. I mean look at the first ep of season 2. Hitler has a bigass window looking out into the german reich and it looks 100x better than the sand nigger infestation. Well anything is better than a sand nigger infestation.

I keked hard how the man in the high castle is actually a jew, who makes movies

There are literally dozens of quality alternate history titles dealing with the Civil War.

Actually, the Difference Engine involves British diplomacy keeping the USA, CSA, and Texas separate, and revolves around a trip by the President of the Republic of Texas to London

>authored words

They were punch cards. And the whole point is to illustrate a current issue by putting it into a setting where it sticks out more.

It's a great book. William Gibson is king.

I always day dream about people time traveling back to the revolutionary war with today's weapons, (Ar-15s, ak's, etc.)
Massive slaughter.

There's a fun one in which a Jewish state is founded in Alaska rather than Israel. It doesn't go into too much details about the politics of it (it's ultimately a detective story) but it's a fun idea.

Should've gone with the original Hitler plan and founded it in Madagascar. Now the only place in the world where Jews are really at risk of getting killed for being Jewish is Israel.

How the fuck does that happen

no way in hell hitler wouldve attacked the USA. And if he's dumb enough to do that theres still no way he would gain that much territories. he probably wouldve given most of france territories back to france and signed a cease-fire with the uk if he managed to do better in russia and stop normandie

I don't know, man. I've been to France last summer and shit was pretty scary. My only friend who moved there and doesn't talk about being afraid for his life happens to look very swarthy and is fluent in Arabic, so he can always disguise himself as Muslim if shit hits the fan.

Fatherland got it right. This was Hitler's big plan for postwar Europe (with a European Union, even)

That's because France has been busily turning itself into North Africa. Turns out their legal policy of not having distinct colonies, but colonies being literally French soil, has doomed their country.

Nigger that book sucked major dickcheese.

I found myself in the same position as you. The series will probably have a better development than the book. Fuck the book.

youtube.com/watch?v=C7VAxt7Dhs8

Reminder DH one is getting updated.

You should check out the alternate history .com forum they are a bunch of lefties but there are some very well researched and interesting stories.

Castro has died 3 times now.

>ctrl+f
>mfw I'm on phone and don't have ctrl+ f

Watch Jin-Roh OP, it's fucking amazing.

japan won
youtube.com/watch?v=_YCTxxKbTOM&t=18s

What would it take to convince you that Japan actually defeated the US in WWII? That since then the government has invested untold millions into a monolithic lie and doubled down every time the truth was about to be exposed.

>Emperor Hirohito was a marine biologists

>Created Unit 731 to create biological weapons that could destroy billions

>Used the natural air currents of the pacific to launch silk balloon bombs to the west coast to drop incendiary munitions to start forest fires.

>One single balloon bomb could contain an aerosolized biological load capable of infecting a major us city and inturn infecting most of the north american population

>The atomic attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were a desperate attempt to stop this and they failed to impact the Japanese war machine

>The Japanese allowed the US to lie to its population so long as it was able to dictate the terms of the cease-fire and eventual surrender.

is that why the us govt is so fucking stupid sometimes and mcdonalds is legal but raw milk isnt?