What Does the Zombie Genre Say about the Modern West?

"Perhaps it is gives us hidden insight on the mass psychology of late 20th century/early 21st century white Americans and Europeans, their objective and subjective fear of imminent demographic decline, the latent fears of a people who, in 1920, comprised 35% of the world's population but who, due to 2 world wars and 30 years of negative replacement rates, now comprise no more than 10% of the world's population. The demographic vacuum left by such a state of affairs has led to massive Third World immigration to both the United States and Canada, with rising tides of xenophobia and neofascism arising as a result. Could the Zombie films be an unconscious, outward manifestation of modern white racism? A racism that serves, rather than justifying the offensive acts of colonialism, slavery and imperialism of yesterday, but as a defensive, psychological reaction that illuminates their current demographic decline and simultaneous Third World immigration rates? I am not the first who has detected the imagery of racial and class-based stereotypes in the genre. That being said, this genre is also popular in Japan and South Korea, but then again, they, too, are facing similar demographic decline and a massive influx of replacement labor from abroad, immigrants who are causing a xenophobic backlash similar to that currently seen in the U.S. and Europe."

oode.info/english/koinwnia/koinwnika/zombie_genre_modern_west.htm

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mE3OOoTatus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Its an allegory for the elites of the world. They are blue blooded, (aka why we call them bluebloods) and we are red blooded (aka why we are called zombies). They are copper oriented and we are iron oriented. They are the original human design, but have taken ancient knowledge for their own corrupt use. The natural color of blood is blue, and we live off air and light. We have fallen.

I can gladly say i don't know what the fuck you're talking about cunt.

Wat

Humans have an innate fascination with gore and death and the zombie genre allows people to explore it in a socially acceptable fashion. There's a reason why horror is one of the most successful genres in history.

it says most of you have absolute shit taste. Zombie trash is for plebs

>white americans

People in the streets walk around like zombies staring at wireless electric hallucinations

It's a critique on society and on ourselves. It makes it ok to stab your neighbor in the face and it belies the fact that everyone is a type of zombie in their own little world just try to get some brains.

>liberal university 101
>everything is racist
>everything is the white man's fault
>gib mony pls

The zombie genre is about the fear of death, a return to the constant struggle for survival that our early ancestors faced, and a longing for the times when strong, assertive men controlled virtually every functioning society by necessity because two seconds of weakness usually killed anyone and everyone who wasn't on top of their shit.

The people who fantasize about the zombie apocalypse almost unerringly believe that they'd either survive long enough to join a successful group, or thrive and become leaders of that successful group themselves.

That whole paragraph you posted reads like the pandering end-of-term papers that students who are afraid of failing write in the hopes that by appealing to their professor's socio-political beliefs they'll get their grades padded and pass the class with a higher score than they objectively deserve.

There is a lust for decay.

>That whole paragraph you posted reads like the pandering end-of-term papers that students who are afraid of failing write in the hopes that by appealing to their professor's socio-political beliefs they'll get their grades padded and pass the class with a higher score than they objectively deserve.

y-you too.

We have a fascination with undead/dead things, but at the same time, a crippling fear of it and the sort of death it brings.

That's all you can really take a way from it.

this is mental masturbation.

An expression of man's fear of, and tendency toward, unthinking, mechanical behavior that is injurious to self, other and society, from which he is unable to free himself for any significant period of time. From out right violence to consumerism (see mall settings for so many films).

this is some next level shit

Don't overthink this.

It's just conditioning humans to kill other disenfranchised humans.

Yeah, but does anyone here really need conditioning to kill mudskins?

CTR needs conditioning just to leave the basement.

> a return to the constant struggle for survival that our early ancestors faced, and a longing for the times when strong, assertive men controlled virtually every functioning society by necessity because two seconds of weakness usually killed anyone and everyone who wasn't on top of their shit.

I never really thought about it as being about immigration exactly.

Although the genre has been around since forever, the big zombie surge as a major pop cultural phenomenon happened after 9/11. I saw all the zombie stuff as being "about" terrorism. The running zombie as a metaphor for some kind of suicide bomber. Before, zombies were slow and amassing outside of a farm house. In a lot of the new zombie media, they're fast and cause confusion and panic in crowded city scenes, like a terror attack. I think the scene in World War Z of all the zombies scaling the wall in Jerusalem is revealing of this general theme.

Autism speaks, and we listen.

Its an allegory for how liberals and run of the mill Republicans see each other
Google it sometime you'll be surprised

I think in modern times it represents the mind-controlled.

They're just starving civilians. Getting people used to the idea of simply killing them.

>What Does the Zombie Genre Say about the Modern West?

This is an interesting question. I don't think OP's demographic/racism theory is the answer. I don't think it's an allegory for elites, or it's popular simply because it's within the horror genre.

I think it taps into a fear of apocalyptic destruction, and the resulting chaos and breakdown of civilization.

But that's very broad, and doesn't provide a very good answer to the question, either.

Meanwhile, the boat can leave now. Tell the crew.

youtube.com/watch?v=mE3OOoTatus

more shoehorn "x is racist, and only white people are racist, and white people are going to die out, and they need to embrace dying out, and not fight it at all"

Putting aside any point that is trying to be made, the article is already fucking stupid for trying to say the genre's popularity in Asia is because of the same stuff that's happening in the West when that is absolutely not true. Japan may have a declining population, but they have very little immigration and the country is still pretty much entirely Japanese. It is not remotely comparable to Western countries. The article just straight up lies.

>Why do people like zombies?
>Maybe the west is upset because of a demographic vacuum that nobody knows about.
>No, it must be racism.
Or maybe people like the idea of a no-obligation world where you can kill things that look like people without getting in trouble because it's actually a flesh eating monster. When you take someone's neighbor and turn them into a zombie, what you've done is give that person the moral freedom to bludgeon their neighbor back into death with the guarantee they will face no repercussions. THAT'S why people like zombies. It has nothing to do with racism or other shit that 90% of the population doesn't know about.