Can some american explain the electoral college to me?

Can some american explain the electoral college to me?

I have no idea how your government works because it's quite different from ours. Why do you have to vote twice?

What is a super delegate?

What is a senator?

What is a governor?

What is a county? Is that like a municipality?

Tell me about your willy wonka-esque democratic system.

I don't speak Canadian, sorry. All I could make out was "eh," "sorry," and "where aboots the maple syrup."

lol nice flag faggots

pic related is all you need to know.

The electoral college makes sure the cities can't rule everyone else. Each state gets some electors, according to their population. Those are the guys who actually elect the president, not the people. The general election just tells the electors who to vote for.

One vote is in the primaries, to choose the candidates from the political parties. Then you actually vote for the candidate.

A superdelegate is a way for the libtards to pick the right candidate, regardless of who the people want.

A senator is someone who is a part of the Senate, the legislative body of the US

A governor is the executive head of a state.

I see, thank you.

Sure I can help.
We vote twice, one in the primaries and one in the general. The primary is a vote not tied to the federal election, but to the political parties, it determines who the state party electors vote for. The general election selects your states suite of electors to vote for the candidate you want (hence why the popular vote means jackshit). In essence, we vote on representatives to vote for our candidate.

A superdelegates is a delegate who does not follow the primary vote to choose their candidate, this is not illegal because it's a party matter, and they can elect themselves how they please.

We have a two house congress. The house of representatives is filled based on state population (and thus, favors larger states) and the Senate is filled with 2 senators per state (and thus, favors smaller states). Senators serve 6 year terms in the Senate.

A governor is the executive leader of a state, and serves like a president of his own country, though considerably weaker (to a point where most Americans don't know who governs their state)

Counties are districts of a state. They are made up of municipalities.

The system doesn't work efficiently, but it stops the government from quickly fucking shut up, which is nice.

Thank you very much, I am learning quite a bit about your country.

basically every state gets 3 votes minimum and the popular vote in the state decides who those votes go to

>because it's quite different from ours

you do realize popular vote doesn't get you a win here either, right?

>is he patronizing us right now?
>i cant tell

>a fucking leaf

even worse you can win with 20% of the vote

In theory, in practice it has never happened and I don't see it happening any time soon.

>A governor is the executive leader of a state

How much power does that give him?
Any examples of governers using their powers for huge changes?

in practice it's more like 38% of the popular vote gets you a majority gov't

>leaf

>I have no idea how your government works because it's quite different from ours. Why do you have to vote twice?
We vote once. Out votes elect electors who then vote for the president. Yes that's a little silly.
>What is a super delegate?
A delegate is like an elector but for a primary (decides who will be a parties nominee).
A super delegate is a way of saying "screw democracy we like republics more"
They have the same voting power as a delegate but are appointed by The Party and can vote for whoever they want.

Currently the republicans don't have any but the democrats do. Because reasons.
>What is a senator?
Like an MP. Congress has two houses, the senate and the house. They both have slightly different roles in lawmaking. Each state has 2 senators but house seats are variable based of population (kindof).
>What is a governor?
They are in charge of a state. They act like a president but on a state level.
>What is a county? Is that like a municipality?
No they are bigger. A county contains municipalities. I really never bothered to figure out what they do, but I think it has to do with how your taxes are collected and spent and other Bureaucracy stuff.(ie communities colleges are on a county level and whatnot)

One thing to understand is that each state was designed to be almost it's own country, and just combine like Voltron when it's time to slap some shit. It's why each state has very different tax rules or gun laws.

Some states don't even have primaries.

yeah and that's the right way to govern imo

californians have different problems than michiganders

God damn give it a rest already

he's just mad he lost his mod privileges even tho he did it for free LOL

It's so easy. We are a republic - not a democracy. Think of it as a way to deal with multi culturalism (the original kind). In order to get states to join - the state founders insisted they be represented by more than population. Electorial college is power dividided between states and population (like the senate and the house) so that different "people" types - not JUST the masses have some influence.

>win in New York
>gain 29 electors
>win in Nebraska, Iowa, Idaho and Montana
>gain 21 electors
Still makes New York much more important causing same effect than popular vote. System is retarded desu senpai

Depends on how big your state is really. Most state governments are just modeled off the federal government. Individual states should basically just be seen as independent countries working within a federal framework. They aren't required to model themselves after the federal government but most in practice do. The governor has the same basic powers and responsibilities as the President though only in a much narrower scale and only on a state level/ They do thing like set out the direction of education, select state judges or call the state guard to action in emergencies.