Do you agree?

>"and it occurred to me that there was no difference between men, in intelligence or race, so profound as the difference between the sick and the well."

F. Scott Fitzgerald.

What did he mean by this? That a sign of intelligence/race is behavior in good times or bad?

That entire book was like having to eat an entire buffet of somebody else's made up reasons to be miserable.

Why would you even go to that buffet?

>There are no differences
>Lists differences

What? It's a classic. What are even talking about?

It was was like a broken record after establishing the circumstances.

Do people actually like this book?

Some people like more than one Bronte book or to read about 500,000k pages of Dickens or to do a really good job painting the same picture of a pond for an entire lifetime.

Yeah but those all suck less than the Great Gatsby

I remember feeling that way when I read it. Maybe I was too stupid to see some hidden depth to it, but I never heard an argument to convince me otherwise.

Who else here was forced to read this shit in high school?

It's a shitty modernist classic.
Please user, pick Hemingway.

I used to fall asleep reading this book and dozed off during the movie too

That's true of a lot of classics because they were influential on later works. Basically all the depth that could be found in the whole decadent 1920s "money doesn't buy happiness" meme this book revolved around has been thoroughly explored in pop culture over the last few generations, so the original seems boring and predictable.

>german-american
>got rich in shady circumstances
>goes up against old money
>has yuge dreams
>has spirit unlike the wasps

Gatsby was the original Trump

Why not use actual classics then? Think Ovid or Aesop are ever going to get old?

>modernism is bad

fug u

Not one of my favourite, but come on, Gatsby is quite a Sup Forums guy.

>white male.
>war veteran.
>shy and autistic, isn't good with women.
>becomes millionaire.
>comes up with autistic schemes to regain the love of his life from her Chad husband.
>dies.

Too complex for high school literature classes.

Buy a copy of "The Wall" by Pink Floyd. Also buy a reasonable hi fi system. Enjoy.

Buy guitars and rock out while you're at it.

The book is literally fitzgerald fetishizing himself into a more dramatic setting until he kills himself at the end when he gets bored of the fantasy
>insert x philosophical standpoint so the book sells

My mom read them to me back when I was young enough to have my mom read books to me.

They're simple lessons told through stories that apply to even societies where we didn't have reading and writing. What you say is total bullshit. Children love stories. Just look at how they flock to movies.

beautiful usage of english but an embarassing attempt at being a british writer.

Let's all drunk-drive into Manhattan and get a hotel room and have the same conversation we're having here.

You could say that about most modernist fiction.
It's not like most authors at the time were depressed trying to imagine themselves in another man's shoes.

You're retarded.

Tom is what every person on Sup Forums dreams to be

>Let's all drunk-drive into Manhattan and get a hotel room and have the same conversation we're having here.

But user that is exactly the ideas women have and the exact types of things normies do. I have a co-worker that begs me to go to Starbucks. I tell him he's retarded since there is free coffee all over the place. He protests " I don't want coffee I want Starbucks!" So he drags me down there for a plain coffee.

God normies suck.

Literally one of the worst books I had to read in middle school or high school. I will admit, that isnt saying much since most of them were absolute shit tier reading,

>Not realizing that the lead yard idiot you are replying to is actually quoting a family guy episode because he's an idiot

What if Hitler hadn't burned the books?

It is a really fucking awful book. I didn't even notice the "message" they're trying to push.