Why do millennials earn so little?

Why do millennials earn so little?

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3511431/Inside-eight-foot-bedroom-pod-built-San-Francisco-apartment-s-equipped-sliding-door-LED-lights.html
archive.fo/IDBh5
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because they got degrees that take them nowhere. Also I drive down PA's median a metric fuckton since I make like, 9k a year

Turns out, that social justice degree isn't worth as much as the university that sold it to you said it was. Also, being unable to handle ideas that conflict with your own doesn't set you up well for interviewing.

"Hey, instead of getting a STEM job, I'll go into gender studies and psychology instead!"

Outsourcing, Illegal immigration, and automation

Also, the government has constantly denied me any benefit for 4 years now so I just gave up. Gonna try to lose this fat then get a better job , but we both know I won't get anywhere, whether I weight 100 or 300 pounds

>cant get job without experience
>cant get experience without education
>cant get education without money
>cant get money without a job
>cant get good grants without being a minority

all thanks to the prior generations

Median =/= arithmetic mean
>american education

>I drive down PA's median a metric fuckton since I make like, 9k a year

You could make 1k a year and it would have the same effect on the median. That might be why you're making 9k a year.

>my state is tied with the evil empire
Yankees suck, and fuck your $15 tolls.

hur ur not trying hard enough

Interestingly, if you adjust for cost of living, millennials in the South and Midwest are basically living like kings compared to their counterparts in the Northeast and West Coast. Those $22,000 in California or $25,000 in New York go a lot less far than those $20,000 in Alabama or $23,000 in Nebraska.

Because boomers were the first generation to do no training or helping of thier kids
They've all voted for mass immigration so wages & quality of life are WAY FUCKING DOWN from when they were growing up

Lotta people who spend productive years in schools getting useless degrees

Mostly because they think Social Studies are actually worth something in CIS White male world.

I guess those living in Alaska are the top 1%.

Alaska actually has an average cost of living similar to New York due to its relative isolation and environmental factors, but even taking that into account they are doing fairly well. Looking at that map does help to explain why so many millennials are moving to the South and Midwest though. With wages that flat across the country for them and cost of living being so drastically different, who can blame them?

Many reasons.

>College degrees became little more than a piece of paper in exchange for a mountain of debt.
>Inflation.
>Quality jobs became less available, while competition for the well paying jobs increased beyond the need of the market.
>Baby boomer parents caring more about their own satisfaction of "work/life" balance instead of teaching their kids about the world.
>Older generations allowing our political system become the stagnant sewer it is.
Eisenhower , and JFK warned them but they cared more about taking drugs and listening to rock while thinking they actually made a deference by being degenerate hippies for the first quarter of their lives.

Basically we were given a shitty hand in the game of life because the people who came before us care more about themselves than the generation that would proceed them. This went against many generations of hard work to carry the burden of hard work to ensure a better life for the children of the future. They were handed the world on a golden platter by the GI and silent generation, people who lived through two world wars, and the great depression, only to horde it to a point beyond reconciliation.

These are pre-tax numbers, correct?

>How small is too small? Inside the 28 sq ft, $500-month 'pod' an illustrator built into his friend's San Francisco apartment
>Peter Berkowitz, 25, constructed a tiny bedroom pod in the living room of his friend's San Francisco apartment
>One bedroom apartments in the city rent for $3,500 per month compared to his $508 per month to live in a pod
>The pod is equipped with a fold-down desk, cushioned backboard that's slanted and LED lights for reading
>He believes pods can provide a 'needed fix' for people who want to add a bedroom to apartments without rent rising
>His eight-foot-long pod is also equipped with a sliding door and has room to store his books and clothing

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3511431/Inside-eight-foot-bedroom-pod-built-San-Francisco-apartment-s-equipped-sliding-door-LED-lights.html

this

millenials are caught in between

there is no place for us

If you pick clinical or social psy. you can earn mighty dollars.

>paying $500/month to live in a crate inside of someone else's apartment

Shitty worthless "liberal arts" degrees and the like instead of an actual skill or trade

are you considering that many are still in school full time? so all those 0's and part time jobs are dramatically impacting the bottom line

>psychology
my friend is a shrink is she makes fucking bank.

I thought I had it tough with 75k a year. Why don't they just get a job? I have two.

Yes/no. It's incredibly frustrating to land your first job and you should apply to anything even if it's not specifically tied to what you learned at college. you can tweak your resume and talk about prior projects/classes in ways that fit whatever job you want. You have to humble yourself a bit and even when you get your first it's going to be miserable but that will motivate you to get to the next level and so on. This is my 4th job in 3 years, went from making $32k out of college to now $73k and paying my way thru grad school with no loans, etc...I'm still miserable but a little less, basically saving up to say fuck you to the corporate world, move down south and start my own business. You should be eager to get a job but also have a plan after you get it

>are you considering that many are still in school full time? so all those 0's and part time jobs are dramatically impacting the bottom line

This for real. Why even bother looking at this?

its an over saturated market
most psychology majors are just crazy chicks who get into it to self diagnose

>the people who have been advancing their careers for the past 20+ years make more money than the kids who are fresh out of college and still in low-level positions

Oh, gee, wow, how insightful, OP.

30k in California. It's chump change here.

>he took the chasing the dream bait

w
e
w

>earn 50k a year teaching high school in a cowtown

>texas property values

I'm already a homeowner, man. FEELS GOOD. Fuck your foodie apartment degenerate lifestyles.

I'm a 24 year old, I make over 70k+

None of my idiotic friends have jobs, because their dumb liberals who cry and whine and don't apply themselves.

The baby boomers fucked the economy and refuse to die. They cling onto their union 33$/hr paint chipping job while telling everyone else they should work for slave wages, go 50k into debt for a degree which then turns to being useless since everyone is doing the exact same things and le "no experience" catch 22 scam. Fuck babyboomers, dump that entire hedonistic generation into the trash can

Fuck off prick "I'm so good, look at me"

This so much. I'm 33. But all my younger millennial friends STILL don't have jobs. Hell, most of them didn't even go to university.

....It's a little lonely. They all moved to be degenerates in the big city while I'm still here in this cowtown rolling in money but with no friends, and I'm way too fat and awkward to make new friends or get a girlfriend.

How the fuck do you rack up 50k in debt getting a degree? Like holy fuck I worked two jobs to get a degree in a science, and then got certified to teach off the 10K I had saved up in the bank during my college career. Do some fucking work.

Because we're paying for insane federal salaries.

>being well above median as a 'millennial' (31)

>crate inside someone else's apartment costs $500 in Gayville, CA
>two bedroom apartment costs $500 in Whiteville, WI

Get fucked coasties.

A) MIT costs 55k/year, why would anyone bother going to shit uni that has no industry connections/prestige?

B)I have a job in engineering, went jobless after the oil crash, built my own business and now service these self righteous boomer generation which shits on everyone except themselves.

Boomers around here washed their clothes by hand and churned butter after they walked across all of Europe carrying a hundred pounds of equipment in WW2 for less than minimum wage.

Speak for yourself.

65k and own a house and wife is able to be a stay at home mom, also a college drop out

>live in kansas
>last stub states I made 20k so far this year
>no college
im making 12hr. Where I live, its impossible for me to live on my own thanks to rent being so high.

Speak for yourself.

I have no income I can save. Eggs are cheaper in the country but jobs are scarce as fuck, too so your income ends up being shared.

Compare that to urban industrial centers packed with businesses and you'll see your flawed thinking.

Prestige is a meme for privileged children who can afford to pay out the nose.

The rest of us go to a local university, put our noses to the grindstone, and get in work experience.

I actually teach HS-level engineering. I make sure that every one of my students comes out of HS with local contacts, and if I can manage it, job experience as assistants at a local chemical engineering facility. You don't -need- a fancy privileged baby degree or prestige to live a decent, profitable lifestyle.

also:

>paid out the nose for 'prestige'

>still lost his job in the oil crash

I've got former students with better job security than you, and they did the financial aid cowtown agricultural engineering university path.

Shaking My Head, fampai.

archive.fo/IDBh5

Ai 63453 has been activated

Bye bye thread

Shoulda got skilled, my nig.

If you live in the country, you've gotta gear up for the skills that are in demand locally.

They just entered the job market, give them a fucking second.

What evidence do you have to suggest that less people are getting STEM degrees than before? I'm pretty sure it's the opposite.

Can you filter this map without blacks?

>calipoornians

That's the same line of thinking that got big city kids a useless degree they're paying off at Starbucks.

I believe people should tty to educate to be a jack of all trades and learn specialized skill on the job.

Every job trains you anyways regardless of your education. Even doctors have to regularly attend college seminars.

self employed and can confirm we get shit on tax wise.

i feel like i'm getting punished by the gov for being moderately "successful." I am unmarried, no kids, don't own a home, and don't own a car (city slicker so uber and zip car-- sometimes the subway). i should be stacking like crazy but i get fucked in my tax bracket. just to add to the insult the fact that no matter what i pay back on my federal student loans (which i pay a big chunk of monthly) my max write if is 1500 is a fucking insult. I would be so much more beneficial to the economy if they at least let me write off even just 8 percent of what i paid beyond interest last year.

Are you tards genuinely stupid enough to believe that young people, many of whom are still in school, should make more money than people older than them?

Everyone here claims to be some sort of STEM genius but none of them have any common sense.

>young

Nigger, the oldest millenials are 34, and should have been earning for 10 years now, if they went and got a master's degree. Only the bottom 15% of millenials are still in higher education.

Why don't millennials go to trade schools?

Also, that's great that you lived in an area of the country where people hire young men into the trades. Why would you think the entire US has the exact same economy as where you live? Fuck dude, so pretentious for no reason

>Why do millennials earn so little?

American education

Because so many of them are entitled pricks who pissed away mommy's and daddy's money on feminist dance therapy degrees.

Babyboomers and Boomer babies spent the fortunes of their families on cheap tricks. Most 20s-30s today had to start from scratch, with no familial support, no real world experience, and have to compete with millions of immigrants and other lowskilled workers for low supply of jobs.

>Illinois lower than Florida.

Wat the musical.

That's great, keep looking down on others douchebag

EVERY SINGLE MILLENNIAL WITH A COLLEGE DEGREE CAN GET A JOB RIGHT NOW.

The entire nation has a shortage of teachers because nobody wants those jobs, and they pay decently.

Full time, state benefits, state retirement plans.

When I got certified to teach science, I had schools COME AND BEG ME to teach for them. And that's with a provisional license as a teacher completing training.

I got certified with a fucking 1 month online course where I read powerpoints and took online quizzes. Cost me $150.

That was it.

I make over 50k a year in a cowtown, have a state retirement plan, and I also have money invested because teachers get special investment account options.

THIS IS AVAILABLE TO ANYONE WITH A BRAIN, PATIENCE, AND THE ABILITY TO DO WORK.

Or you can just do well enough in high school to get an academic grant, or just spend the first half of college collecting credits at a CC. Then attend an in state school because in state tuition is less. There's always a way, but you retards would rather blame the system on why you can't afford to get into Stanford or Harvard when you're a chucklefuck from Joe blow academy in Suburbia, Texas.

>The entire nation has a shortage of teachers because nobody wants those jobs, and they pay decently.

Pfffffthahaha, tell that to teachers in WI. It's neo-slave labor.

Fort Worth is great man. I only make 34k but have zero debt and it's comfy as fuck.

>It's neo-slave labor.
You fell for the meme. Teaching is one of the highest wage to work ratios there is, unless you are absolutely retarded with how you organize your class, or your district sucks you will have one of the easiest jobs in the world

(This is not accounting for niggers)

This is true. I just graduated from a CC with an associates of arts. Yeah I know this degree is shit but I only got it so that all my shit would transfer to an in state school as mentioned. It's a pretty good deal. I was able to pay my way through CC and I owe nothing to them. However I will be going into debt for this college I'm going to to get my bachelor's. This is the best plan I can possibly think of.

>Mfw when I am a millennial in Texas that makes around double the average

Texasbros.

FUCK OFF CALIFORNIA AND APPARENTLY WISCONSIN, WE'RE FULL

Not much opportunity out there. I got a job for 60k/yr and my boomer dad is still like when are you gonna get a REAL job.

>19k Michigan
>mfw 60k right out of college with student loans paid off the first year of work
Millennials a shit.

Every district in WI sucks out the ass for funding on a public level, so you get next to nothing. Private schools simply just pay you next to nothing.

Teaching being a decent job is a Texas meme.

That is why I started working at 14
>Inb4 fucking spic
I'm white.
Started full time construction at 18.
Now at 26 I have a very useful skill and there are so many jobs available to me here in TX. $20 per hour + jobs.

And here I am age 24 no degree making $110k a year doing Hvac. People my age just don't want to work.

THIS

State teacher = propaganda machine. State science. State history. State tests. State bullshit. Fuck you, cuckstatist.

>Teaching being a decent job is a Texas meme.
I dunno here in Massachusetts it seems to be a legit deal. Although they passed a law recently requiring all teachers to have a masters.

because of faggotry

>$20 per hour
Wow ur rich. So rich you measure your wage by the hour.

LOL, we don't even teach common core here in Texas, and a major component of our curriculum is on media literacy and comparing sources.

Texas, of all states, is at the forefront of teaching students how to fight being programmed by elites.

You don't get to pass English or History these days without being able to write an essay comparing conflicting sources of information.

What's the cutoff age for millenials? I make about $50k which I thought was sort of average (wife makes about $40k so we pull in a fairly decent income) and I'm 28. I know I do okay but I never figured I'd be making more than twice as much as the average person in my cohort

WHY DIDN'T YOU GO TO A FUCKING TRADE SCHOOL YOU DUMB NIGGER?

Millenials are between 18-19 and 33-34 right now.

Why Michigan so low?
Is it because of detroit ?

DUDE RACE TO THE BOTTOM

Behavior Analyst (psych master's holder) here. My rate is $100/hr.

because they're all lazy and have shit tier college degrees

t. millenial police officer making 70,000/year

Well guess what faggot
Money isn't everything.
Plus the milf a I am banging right now makes 100k a year and buys me shit.
I don't sit on my ass and fap to anime all day.
I get to work outside, and keep in shape.

Wages have been stagnant for 35 years

it could be worse

Ignoring the meme degrees,
>I'll work minimum wage, it's the least I can do
>night shifts for minimum wage? That's fine by me boss
>minimum wage needs to be raised to $15 so we can afford to live
>oy why'd you fire me? What machine?
Rinse. Repeat. Laugh. Cry as they'll keep this up until their old age and then will demand pensions.

>20
>Make $50K
Feels good making twice as much as people of my generation

>trade schools

I graduated 6 years ago and we never got told shit about trades. It was always

>go to college
>go to college
>go to a STATE college
>hey college recruiters are coming in for a college fair, go pick one
>just go in with an undeclared major and figure out what you want to do, just go to college
>make sure you file for your FAFSA so you can go to college. You ARE going to college, right?

The only people that got any info about trade schools were people like me who went into the school engineering, welding, auto repair, and construction courses, and even then they kept hammering away at us to forget trades and just go to Purdue or Rose-Hulman.

20 bucks an hour is pretty respectable, man. Construction workers aren't salaried and generally qualify for things like overtime bonuses, so of course he'd measure his wage by the hour.

Still, people earn their highest well into their 40s and 50s.

>27 @ 46k here

This