So, only 50% of the population seems to vote. People say, "If you don't vote...

So, only 50% of the population seems to vote. People say, "If you don't vote, you have no right to complain about a government." What do you think Sup Forums?

For the record I did vote

All citizens should be forced to vote.

I vote but always hate when people say that. Anyone can complain about whatever they want, it's a free country.

I think not voting if you don't understand the issues or candidates is preferable to voting randomly or voting for your "team". Ideally you would educate yourself about each issue and person running but frankly that's not always easy or practical. Also for a lot of states your vote really doesn't count as much (especially for senate, president etc.)

No. explains why.

Our constitution sets limits on the government. Not on the citizens. No one should have to do anything to assure it runs smoothly if we do then it is broken and must be changed.
I also voted.

If we did that there would be a higher percentage of niggers voting. Bad idea.

This, I would hate if my vote was negated by someone who doesn't know what they are voting for

Why bother yourself with voting, when you only have two options that are pretty much the same?

Australia does that

Certain states like mine (tx) are horrible about voting a straight republican ticket. I'm generally a conservative moderate, middle of the line voter. I really liked Wendy Davis so much better than Abbott so I voted for her as governor. During the presidential election I voted all over the place because we had other state representatives and judges on the ballot. I voted Republican, libertarian, and I believe one democrat (judge.) I don't like straight party options on ballots at all. It's a lazy way to vote and It puts a lot of unqualified people in positions they shouldn't be in.

>Also for a lot of states your vote really doesn't count as much

This. I live in california and I know a lot of people who very much wanted Trump to win, but didn't actually vote for him because this state is such a blue hellhole it wouldn't have made a difference.

The more people vote the less my vote counts. This was the worst election I can remember. At least they don't know about the elections that happen between those 4 years which are the only ones that actually matter.

So far, the arguments in this thread point to why democracy is bad.
:^)
Don't get me wrong, if you don't pay taxes, if you didn't serve in the military, if you never lifted a finger to build a community building, you don't have the right to vote.

This. It's common fucking sense, just like it's common sense to raise the voting age or screen people to assure that they're even mentally for enough for the task. Requiring voter ids in every state is another necessity.

Liberals seem to really love not having any of the above go through

I thought Gary Johnson was going to wind up with a lot more votes than he did. The "what is Aleppo" was the MSMs gotcha moment for him tho. Everyone seemed to hate Trump and Hillary equally this election year. It was pretty bizzare how it all went down imo. I didn't want Hillary to win but at the same time I never thought Trump would win. In the beginning I thought Trump was a plant to help the Democrats. I was so wrong. I'm willing to give the dude a chance though. I'd still rather it be him than her.

You are responsible for the government weather or not you exersize your right so don't complain be constructive.

If you lost your rights still your fault.

Only the underage are innocent.

I voted for Trump and dragged my brother with me to vote for him to. We helped put the blue Georgia meme to rest, in our own small way

>I really liked Wendy Davis

How could a Texan be this much of a Cuck

probably lives in Austin

Johnson turned off a lot of Libertarians and potential Libertarians. Trump was more Libertarian than Johnson, especially with that gun-grabbing cuckold Bill Weld on his team.

Only taxpayers should be able to vote. The more taxes you pay, the more your vote ahould count. Not in a linear way, though, it would taper off at a certain point.

I will admit it was an unusual pick for me as I almost always vote libertarian or republican. It had more to with Ken Paxton being indicted, dan Patrick being uber conservative, the accidental social security numbers leak, and the good ole boy system between Perry and Abbott. I was bothered by the corrupt nature of our state legislature at that time especially.

If you didn't vote because you thought both of the candidates are terrible and couldn't imagine voting for either, then you can still complain and criticize. If you were a partisan all along who's willing to protest the incoming party before it actually had a chance to do anything, then you have no right to complain if you didn't vote.