USA scrapping F-35 program for Super Hornets

reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-defense-idUSKBN14B2GW

>"Based on the tremendous cost and cost overruns of the Lockheed Martin F-35, I have asked Boeing to price-out a comparable F-18 Super Hornet!" Trump said.

>Lockheed shares fell 2 percent and Boeing's rose 0.7 percent in after-hours trading after Trump's tweet Thursday.

>Super Hornets with F-35 capabilities

Can it be done?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/IWJeqrvoF6M
theregister.co.uk/2011/03/03/eurofighter_nao_analysis/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_SR-72
ausairpower.net/PDF-A/CRS_JSF_Program_RL30563.pdf
businessinsider.com/f-35-ejection-seat-woes-2016-6
brisbanetimes.com.au/articles/2008/09/11/1220857689496.html
web.archive.org/web/20121017174603/http://www.docstoc.com/docs/42891479/Air-Combat-Past-Present-and-Future
youtu.be/iLVAYnM7pwY?t=3m54s
cnn.com/2016/04/21/politics/f-35-software-system-gao-report/
dodbuzz.com/2015/01/08/pentagon-f-35-gun-will-fire-in-2017/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not really. Stealth isn't something that you can just throw onto an existing airframe, you need to make it from the ground up, otherwise it isn't as good. Besides, the time for "scrapping" the project has already passed. All of the F-35s and variants are already paid for, if he shuts down the production line they have another F-22 scenario on their hands with the plane that was supposed to remedy that.

Nope, but it's a threat to make Lockheed take less money for the planes.

really more of a cutting of losses. the f-35 has been comparatively shit in nearly every test.

Before anyone asks, yes, /k/ is being extremely salty about it right now.

F-15 Silent Eagle, F-16 Strike Viper.

Two easily converted existing airframes with RCS comparable to the Lightning II.

SB-3 Ghoul was designed around the SR-71's frame.

Does this mean we can make more A10's?

Nope, sadly. We do not have the tooling to produce any more GAU-8s. We can only refurb the ones that exist a few times before they're scrap.

Once we use up the reserve GAU-8s (about 1,000), the Warthog fleet will be without BBBRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrttt,

For the arm chair generals out there... Is it true that new radar and satellite technologies have made even F-22 stealth very detectable?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yes this will work just as well as a Fiero with a lambo bodykit.

Can't we just, you know, rebuild the tooling? I mean it's not like the knowledge was lost to the aether or something

Sats, no.

ELINT can grab the communications of the Raptor (and any other aircraft) and triangulate their position, unless the birds go to laser comms.

Defensive radar in the 3 metre and above range can pick up Raptors but don't see them as large enough to be a threat and filter them from tracking.

:(

I'm guessing it's going to come down to cost, but if a war happens there is no cost too high.

Fieros last longer than Lamborghinis, are more efficient, and cost less to maintain

I keep hearing the F35 is a meme plane. Can someone in the know explain to a leaf why this?

Here's a guide to F-35 memes. Most of these is true.

JUST

I still have no fucking clue what your pollies and brass were thinking. A10s are like the most effective air support available. Military should riot when they get retired.

Why do they shill so hard for this utter failure of an airplane?

Thread here:

You'd need to buy at least 500 Super hornets to match the capability of just 75 F-35 jets.

>no Typhoon

I know it's a meme aircraft, but it is pretty damn good.

God I hope so, I love the super hornet's design.

Not a fat chunky turd like the F-35.

youtu.be/IWJeqrvoF6M

A lot of these are actually valid concerns wtf

> it's not like the knowledge was lost to the aether or something
Dohohoho, I see you haven't worked with the government before.

Our biggest mistake was not funding a harrier III project and supporting the F-35 moneysink.

>Typhoon
>Good

theregister.co.uk/2011/03/03/eurofighter_nao_analysis/

Would the YF-23 be a better replacement? It's already developed.

No, they aren't.

>>Super Hornets with F-35 capabilities

You'd need a new airframe for most of the stealth capabilities, as well as the VTOL.

However, the avionics, electrical upgrades, communications, etc, can all be retrofitted to the hornet.

>Most of these is true.

Lurk on /k/ more. We have been having this discussion twice a day for the past ten years. F-35 is actually a good aircraft.

V& in 3, 2,...

This.

The Harrier was awesome.

Were as those are all good point for a car, the comparison here is all around performance.

It's a great fighter jet, they just require a massive amount of maintenance hours per hour of flight. To the point of inhibiting the amount of sorties it can do in a month.

Trump should dump some money into constructing the ADF-01 FALKEN.

Good.. But is it worth it?

>SB-3 Ghoul
???????????????????

If price were the only issue, yes.

The f-22 won that fight, the f35 fills another role entirely.

Also the as sexy as it was the 23 was shittons more expensive to make than the f22

Hush.

Codename for the SR 71 reboot plane.
Docs were leaked on here a while iirc

Jack of all trades, but master of none.

The exact opposite is true tho. The F35 was specifically designed to streamline maintenance.

Good. Fuck the way government contracts are handled, this is the competition that is needed.

....That would be the SR-72

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_SR-72

>There is no B-3 bomber.

user was just joking
he made it up
pay no attention
what a prankster!
hahaha have

so, who do you think will be in the Super Bowl this year?

>theregister
>2011

W
E
W

That's like going "The F-35 is shit because X" or "The Rafaele is shit because Y". Doesn't work like that.

>one of the most complicated machines knows to man
>it's really not that complicated

yeh the f 35 fills another role, but isnt it still supposed to replace it?

Kek, this. Forms in triplicate every hour of any work, and they still have no clue where anything is.

>trump fell for the russian anti-f35 memes

LEL, he really is a Russian plant.

Check the archive for SB 3 ghoul, was somewhere around January. SR 72 is a meme, the SR 71 reboot is already built and is the SB 3. They have at least 12 of iirc. Can function as high speed spy planes and intercontinental bombers

How about you get me some citations. I don't want to scrounge google for this tinfoil hattery just to find its some /x/ retardation again.

No

>sunk cost fallacy

..The f35 is not replacing the f22

There were like 50 threads about it. Guy posted his actual badge and everything.
It's a fucking classified project so ofc you're going to have to sort through bullshit. You can't just type "super secret area 51 black book usa planes" and have it come up

A shit tier roleplaying with terrible technical knowledge. He said it has a 8 shot mag like the B52 or B2. On a hypersonic bomber? LOL.

Utter retardedness. At BEST you'll get hypersonic drones.

Jesus Christ

F-35 maintainer here (ama)

I have seen firsthand what this acft can do, it truly is America's superweapon. I love it. Pilots love it. Other maintainers love it. Once trump sees its capabilities firsthand, im sure he will come around to it.

SB-3? Elaborate.

God fucking damn

It feels so fucking good to have a president like this

Common fucking sense... For once in our lives our leaders will use common sense...

The as-yet-unnamed LM 6th gen is replacing the F-22. F/A-XX or whatever it is, is replacing F-18/Super Hornet. That's made by Boeing.

Considering the best multi-role air-superiority fighter in active use anywhere in the world is based on an airframe even older than the F18, I'd sure hope so.

>He fell for the "stealth" meme.

Hey look at that, first link on google lmao

>Spend billions developing new aircraft
>Finally get it in service
>Don't buy enough to make the investment worth it
>"Common sense"

>He fell for the "stealth is just a meme" meme

Anti-stealth has already caught up to stealth.

Yeah they are.

Just to do a few of them:

The program cost is incredibly over; especially considering the unit cost has skyrocketed to well over twice what was originally promised
ausairpower.net/PDF-A/CRS_JSF_Program_RL30563.pdf

I agree war is boring is a shitty website but just dismissing everything they have to say on the topic out of hand is even shittier. Same thing with Pierre Sprey- he's an ass for basically taking sole credit for the A-10 and F-16 but at the same time they didn't hire him for no reason at all.

The ejection seat will kill the pilot
businessinsider.com/f-35-ejection-seat-woes-2016-6

Even if you want to ignore the F-16 mock dogfight, you still have to contend with the Australian one where they got "clubbed like baby seals"
brisbanetimes.com.au/articles/2008/09/11/1220857689496.html
Also the RAND study in 2008 where they got wiped by Chinese jets in a simulation
web.archive.org/web/20121017174603/http://www.docstoc.com/docs/42891479/Air-Combat-Past-Present-and-Future

F-4s WERE shit without guns and weren't not shitty until they got them. Robin Olds would agree with me
youtu.be/iLVAYnM7pwY?t=3m54s

Idk about the helmet specifically but the jet itself is laughably easy to break
cnn.com/2016/04/21/politics/f-35-software-system-gao-report/

The engine fire pic is a PAK FA, as if their jet catching fire makes our jet catching fire any better.

F-35A has a gun but the B and C need a gun pod that has a less than stellar record iirc.
dodbuzz.com/2015/01/08/pentagon-f-35-gun-will-fire-in-2017/
And even then, the number of rounds it can carry is pitiful.

The payload issue is bc external weapons ruin stealth, which is one of the aircraft's primary selling points. There's a reason the F-22 only carries weapons internally, something the F-35 doesn't.

Fuck ur job security. We need more of f 18's.

is the F35 even better than the F22?

lolno

Even if the F-35 actually works (I'll give that a 'maybe'), the cost over-runs is just Lockheed milking the system for whatever they can get.

Trump is negotiating. Watch him work

>is the F35 even better than the F22?

different roles.

The f-22 is air superiority.

the f-35 is multi role mainly ground attack.

t. Boeing

>The f-22 is air superiority.
In other words, useless, just like the entire Air Force since the ICBM

>Military industrial complex being greedy

SAY IT AIN'T SO!

You realize that none of those links mean anything right? People said the same shit about the F-14, F-15, F-16, etc when they were introduced. At the end of the day, civilians bitching never actually influences procurement policy, and that's a very good thing. You can't see the real potential of the platform because you only look at short-term obstacles whereas actual military experts look at the big picture.

The F-22 is hands down the best aircraft in existence, currently. But it is like $1BN PER AIRCRAFT. Imagine the stress of flying a $1BN aircraft in an actual combat situation. Maddening.

The F-35 is an all rounder that can do pretty much anything. It has no real competitors, maybe the SU's. For the USA it was a dumb ass project. For the UK it was great as we needed an all rounder.

From what I recall, it is like purely politicians and the military industrial lobbyists paying them that push for the retirement of the A10. Pilots love them. Ground troops love them. Actual military brass loves them. The A10 is the greatest fucking aerial weapons platform ever built. The thing is a fucking legend.

these aircrafts are nothing but bow wave expenditures and it's up to trump to put the axe on what amounts to basically welfare for the military industrial complex

I honestly just think Trump is trying to acquire leverage against both Boeing and Lockheed so he can negotiate more favorable price points for future projects.

>and that's a very good thing
Yeah, how else could we spend over $600B a year in taxpayer's money to protect other people's corporate interests?

it's named after generals (spirit of patton, washington, abrams, etc)

usaf wanted a bomber and a spy plane, only had money for one program so (((someone))) solved the problem with a modular plane

different pods, color-coordinated: red (nukes), blue (elint), ? (sigint), ? (don't remember)

it burns out one set of engines every time it flies, have to be overhauled or replaced every time (f118s)

it's hypersonic, can be anywhere in the world in i think 3 hrs tops

literally just google sb-3 ghoul Sup Forums faggot

I don't understand the problem with a rotary bomb rack in a high speed system.

While I doubt the "SB-3", that detail is a pretty reasonable design requirement.

>Can it be done?

No, but that's probably not his objective. Trump is an expert negotiator, he's just lighting a fire under their ass to make them finish the job.

Ejection seat is fine now. New TRS system and ejection prongs. ammo amount is comparable to chinese and euro equivalent planes, and it's a "never miss" with the onvoard targeting computer. Software has been fixed by the simple addition of the ability to do a complete reset in 10 mins or less.

A10 got called back to the game. It's great. I'd like something similar, but better, but that's just me.

I believe the problem is, outside bombing durka durkas, it isn't that useful. Modern AA is so good that the A10 will be fucked. That's the problem. As for bombing people without any decent AA? It's brilliant.

>it's up to trump to put the axe on what amounts to basically welfare for the military industrial complex

You're fucking delusional. Trump has repeatedly said that he wants to RAISE the military budget, not lower it. Once Trump starts talking to the Air Force, he'll understand just how important the F-35 is and this will all go away.

>Good Old Shoe

if you spent 1/4 of that budget you could pay off all student debt in the entire country.

>In other words, useless, just like the entire Air Force since the ICBM

Dude, air superiority is a MUST on the modern battlefield.

Without air superiority, your ground forces and CAS get shredded.

the f-22 is supposed to be a replacement for the f-15 at the air superiority role.

the f-15 has been protecting American airspace for decades now.

>Here's your car
>Oh yea, the engine explodes after every trip you take....
>Enjoy!!
Wow

It's a fine aircraft, but the biggest arms acquisition program in history with so much bleeding edge technology in conjunction with so many cooks in the kitchen means the biggest suite of problems and bugs in history.

The f 35 can do things the f 18 simply cannot. It can go into enemy territory with anti radiation missiles in its internal bomb bay and destroy AA, then come back with conventional bombs on external pylons and internal BB to lay waste.

"RESPECTABLE SOURCES DONT MEAN A THANG LOCKHEED DINDU NUFFIN REEEEEE"

Do you people even think before you rush to autistically defend the military-industrial complex?

It's greed not unforeseen costs and delays from trying to plan out three separate designs two decades ago. The MIC is evil.