Why are there so many misconceptions about hell?

Why are there so many misconceptions about hell?

Other urls found in this thread:

biblestudytools.com/topical-verses/hell-bible-verses/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because no one's ever been there and reported back to us what it's like

How can there be misconceptions about things that don't exist?

Who's the bearded dude with a scroll in the very top left?

>comceptualizing hell
Gee, I wonder why...

I hope for your sake that you're trolling, lol.

>implying god just puts you in a sensory deprivation tank while leaving you completely conscious

All in all actual nothingness has to be pretty peaceful.

is mike tyson sitting down in that first pic on the front left?

anyway how do you know what hell is actually like? do you have a best selling book where you definitely experienced hell and aren't just lying to make money?

>picture that literally says "nothing"
hmmm

#notallatheists

Some of us read Nietzsches follow up and didn't stop at the first one

He's right though. There is no afterlife, dumbass. So any concept of Hell is valid since it isn't real.

Hell is actually a giant cosmic blender of pure chaos. Everything still exists, but it's away from God so nothing is holding anything together. All the damned souls and everything completely blending together for eternity in pain and suffering

I'm quite terrified of hell. It's inevitable I'll go if it exists even though I'm not a bad person.

Yet, sin is the only thing that keeps me fucking entertained. Eternity on fluffy clouds listening to John Doe talk about how great he raised his kids or burning in fire hearing some story about he foot fucked a teenager against her will.. I might just choose the latter.

I'll never really understand religion though.

He made me. He made me feel this way. Hating your own creation or requiring me to be his cheerleader constantly is fairly immature.

Was dante an astronomer?

When does God require you to be his cheerleader? Just live a holy life and accept God.

I remember when I was 19

>requiring me to be his cheerleader constantly

grave misconception user

Not entirely sure but that's just an interpretation of Dante's work at least pic related right? The 24 divisions of hell can potentially have significant meaning in the universe as a whole.

>Why are there so many misconceptions about hell?
Mainly because it doesnt exist.

Define God, what am I accepting?

some christcucks dont believe in hell either

Keked at the south park image

Okay.

Is it not true?

Not an argument.

socrates you flithy inbred.

Two things are required to get into Heaven:

>You accept God as the creator of all things and His Son came to Earth and died on the Cross for our Sins and rose on the third day and will come again.
>You are remorseful for your sins
That's it.

everyone in that pic is a somebody

I agree with Sartre on this one, albeit in a more literal sense. You could desensitize yourself from demons and lovecraftian beings waiting beyond, because they are far too alien for human mind to grasp and realize.
What I fear the most is that, after dying, I'll just be greeted by people. There is nothing more cruel than a human mind, after all.

Implying consciousness is separate from matter.

Socrates, and that's not a scroll.... wink! wink!

Where in the bible does it say Hell is nothingness or just the absence of God?

It says lake of fire, gnashing of teeth etc

I admit hell being the absence of God, would be a much better designed Hell and would make more sense theologically, but seems like a modern invention to me.

Who are you quoting?

dante's hell is pretty dank desu

>You have to believe that specific dogma
>This lets you bypass the golden rule
>Everyone else experiences unending pain
>This is a good arrangement

You guys are fucked up in the head

This is true i used to think this when i was a atheist , if hell was real it was a place full of bad people and sin,heaven was for the faggots , better to reign in hell then to serve in heaven

Now as a christian i am pretty sure that hell is nonexistence and you only get eternal life from god as a gift

Until you're wrong and praise a false prophet then you just burn. Thanks for all the confusion creator of everything. I'm a Christian btw just don't get some aspects of it.

"You're just supposed to know and have faith".
No, you could let me know. I haven't heard anything yet and still waiting.

lel ops, was supposed to quote no one.

Unfortunately you get nothing either way even if god does exist

I really don't know what you're getting at here.

Hell isn't unending pain. Hell is just the afterlife without God's love.

God also offers purgatory as well. So suck a cock.

Answer this Christians.

>Now as a christian i am pretty sure that hell is nonexistence and you only get eternal life from god as a gift
Why would choosing a god decide whether or not your consciousness will continue to exist within another dimension?

What's the misconception?
"
Mark 9:47-48

"If your eye causes you to stumble, throw it out; it is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye, than, having two eyes, to be cast into hell, where THEIR WORM DOES NOT DIE, AND THE FIRE IS NOT QUENCHED."
Sounds pretty clear to me.

What don't you get?

Praise a false prophet? Why is God going to give a shit? Being a Christian has nothing to do with praising prophets, it's about you personal relationship with God.

That's a comfy thought. My mum feels same way. Existence in eternity with glory and God's love or nothing. I want to think this.

>God also offers purgatory
Purgatory is completely a catholic idea, there's no mention of it in the bible.

u did it champ

>The Bible should be interpreted literally

*tips fedora*

you couldn't be more wrong
the only thing required from you is not being a scumbag
as in you harm no one, nor do you wish harm upon anyone
the bible is full of symbology, it is not to be taken literally
all the books, journals, articles, letters, blogs, everything ever written in history and everything that will ever be written will never amount to an all mighty, all knowing creator
the bible is way too small and insignificant to be taken at face value
although it does a good job at teaching basic morals, like the golden rule for example
live by it and you'll be fine
the trick of coarse is to live by it naturally

Majority of everything every Christian denominations do isn't in the Bible. It comes from theologians.

God does not decide we the humans decide , god only made the rule book

It contains literal and metaphoric verses roo

That religion is meant to teach people not to be taken literally.
It's fucking D&D tier roleplay otherwise.

What implies those verses should be taken non-literally?

That's what you catholic cucks believe. Stop worshipping the pope.

>the only thing required from you is not being a scumbag

Nope. You have to accept Jesus Christ as the Lord and Saviour.

Not true. It's mentioned in the St Joseph bible.

>Praise a false prophet I say
>His Son came to Earth and died on the Cross

Yes, what does that have to do with anything? What if potentially mistaken? Again it's more confusion. Why can't I be certain about anything?

Being a good person has nothing to do with God either. I just question its methodology.

You should have an empty black box because hell doesn't actually exist.

>Implying I think Francis is the Pope

He's a satanic crypto-jew.

The fact that they are open ended and the fact the Bible was written in divine inspiration.

Why do you think Protestants are completely retarded? Because they believe that the Bible should be interpreted to their current standpoint.

It's literally spoken more as Hades than Hell in the bible, it's borrowed from pagan ideas (like many things in christianity), it's a very primal idea thus suffering, existential reading of it is very modern.

No, it's more about being given a set of rules to live a fruitful life, and being grateful to God is one of many aspects that strengthens man in a spiritual way.

If you were to mindlessly cheerleader God, he'd send you to hell since proper devotion has to be conscientious. You have to understand the paradoxical nature of existence to truly appreciate your place in the world.

I'm not religious by any means, but that's the meaning I've taken out of these stories.

The hell as a fiery place is the invention, a mish-mash of places like Sheol Gehenna Tartarus and Hades. In ancient Rome Catholicism basically took influence from tons of pagan cultures and incorporated it into their religion to keep the region unified

you can accept him all you like, you're still going to hell for being a scumbag

But most verses and parts of the bible that are obvious allegories or just poems usually only appears once in the bible, genesis for example.

The burning in hell are repeated throughout the bible.

I go to purgatory. ;)

Hell is populated with Africans. Why even die?

It's such a silly concept. Mice to read a manual and if they can't eternity in pain. So loving, aye?

Jesus though... love that jew.

The way I think of it is that God loves all his creations but some choose not to love him back. The rejection of his love is our own personal hell.

The fuck are you even saying?

>Bruce Lee
>Churchill
>Socrates
>Dante
>Marlon Brando
>Prince Charles
>Putin
>Charlie Chaplin
>Audrey Hepburn
>Queen Elizabeth
>Guan Yu
>Confucius
>Hitler
>Lao Tzu
>Elvis
>Pavarotti

Why are these people in hell?

hmm well it seems like there is no talk of the lake of fire or things like that in the new testament

>biblestudytools.com/topical-verses/hell-bible-verses/

Alright maybe you've got a case.

And what about people who never seen a bible or heard of jesus

You follow jesus and die as a christian and go to heaven or you live a good life without knowing jesus and you can still go to heaven after judgement,
its a lot harder because you have more chance to end up as a degenerate

Thanks for legitimate response leaf-bro.

Hey, I can help!

Old Testament verses on the afterlife (when everyone went to hell because there was no solution for sin until Christ died) are where this mostly comes from.

are the common grave of mankind. When a human dies they cease to exist. There is no going up nor going down.

>Ecclesiastes 9:10 - All that your hand finds to do, do with your very power, for there is no work nor devising nor knowledge nor wisdom in She´ol, the place to which you are going.

>Ecclesiastes 9:5,6 - 5 For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten. 6 Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they have no portion anymore to time indefinite in anything that has to be done under the sun.

>Isaiah 38:18,19 - 18 For it is not She´ol that can laud you; death itself cannot praise you. Those going down into the pit cannot look hopefully to your trueness. The living, the living, he is the one that can laud you, Just as I can this day.

>Psalms 6:5 - For in death there is no mention of you; In She′ol who will laud you?

>Psalms 88:10 - For those who are dead will you do a marvel? Or will those impotent in death themselves arise, Will they laud you? Se′lah.

>Psalms 146:4 - His spirit goes out, he goes back to his ground; In that day his thoughts do perish.

>Psalm 88:12 - Will a marvel by you be known in the darkness itself, Or your righteousness in the land of oblivion?

The verses in the new testament are emphasizing the permanence of hell, and describe it as an undying flame, an analogy to the trash heap outside of Jerusalem known as Gehenna.

looks like im well prepared for hell then

Yes, that's what hell is. Non existence, something that doesn't exist. Are you actually autistic

If your eye causes you to stumble
>hes walking on his eyes

People who cherry pick what part of the passage should be taken literally

>are the common grave of mankind. When a human dies they cease to exist. There is no going up nor going down.

didn't mean to include that

>And what about people who never seen a bible or heard of jesus

God always makes himself know to people. Whether it be through dream, vision, missionary, miracle etc.

It's up to the people to accept God.

Purgatory does not exist so you will go to non existence

>Purgatory does not exist

That's alright.

I smoked weed a few months ago and totally tripped. I didn't think that was possible, it had to be laced. Anyway, my mind started going backwards in time and and I was sort of disassociated. When my consiousness was just on a ride where I felt past events were unfolding in a backwads order, I thought I had died. And that this was going to be it, I'm in hell forever trapped with only my own memories and consciousness. Truly a horrible experience. I got out of that state in maybe 15 minutes, but it felt like hours.

This has even driven me back towards Jesus. I just seem to struggle with geniune faith and feel like a hypocrite if I don't start evagelising to everyone.

The 'fire and brimstone' hell was placed there during a certain dark period. It was a fear mongering technique. "OH YEA YOU'LL GET A HOT RED POKER SHOVED IN YOUR COCK/PUSS/ASSHOLE IF YOU DONT CONVERT!"

In reality, Hell's biggest disadvantage is being away from the light of your creator. That's what Hell really is.

That's the stupidest god damn thing I've ever read...this afternoon.

gonna plagiarize some other old post from Sup Forums

The Hebrew word translated “soul” in the Old Testament is nephesh, which simply means “a breathing creature.” Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words defines nephesh as “the essence of life, the act of breathing, taking breath … The problem with the English term 'soul' is that no actual equivalent of the term or the idea behind it is represented in the Hebrew language. The Hebrew system of thought does not include the combination or opposition of the 'body' and 'soul' which are really Greek and Latin in origin”

That nephesh doesn't refer to an immortal soul can be seen in the way the word is used in the Old Testament. It is translated “soul” or “being” in reference to man in Genesis 2:7, but also to animals by being translated “creature” in Genesis 1:24. Nephesh is translated “body” in Leviticus 21:11 in reference to a human corpse.

The Hebrew Scriptures state plainly that, rather than possess immortality, the soul can and does die. “The soul [ nephesh ] who sins shall die” (Ezekiel 18:4, Ezekiel 18:20).

The Old Testament describes the dead as going to sheol, translated into English as “hell,” “pit” or “grave.” Ecclesiastes 9:5-6 describes sheol as a place of unconsciousness: “For the living know that they will die; but the dead know nothing, and they have no more reward, for the memory of them is forgotten. Also their love, their hatred, and their envy have now perished …”

1/2

If the Old Testament describes death as an unconscious state, how does the New Testament describe it?

No one wrote more about this subject than the apostle Paul. He describes death as “sleep” (1 Corinthians 15:51-58; 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18).

Many people are surprised to find that the term immortal soul appears nowhere in the Bible. However, though the Scriptures do not speak of the soul as being immortal, they have much to say about immortality. For example: “You know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him” (1 John 3:15).

Paul told the members of the congregation in Rome to “seek” immortality (Romans 2:5-7). He taught Christians at Corinth that they must be changed and “put on” immortality (1 Corinthians 15:51-55). Paul proclaimed that only God and His Son possess immortality (1 Timothy 6:12-16) and that eternal life is a “gift” from God (Romans 6:23).

Basically, the Bible states plainly, many...many times, that you hell is complete and everlasting destruction. It is not eternal, because you are not immortal.

2/2

looooooooooooooooooooooool

When columbus discovered america god and jesus revealed him self in dreams to the indians ?

nope they all in hell now because they had bad luck for being born in the wrong place and time

Luke 16:19-31
19 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

---------------

sorry pussy, but Jesus talks a lot more, and in a lot more explicit language about the ETERNAL HELLFIRE that most are in for.

thanks!

while I got a wellread Christian, why does(did) God the creator of everything, favor such a small portion of humanity? I've been watching The Bible on Netflix and something that stuck with me is when the Pharaoh tell Moses to leave and "take his wretched God with him".

Why does this make sense? So favoring a small group of people over all other, for so long?

If you don't mind answering, or someone else

Because I don't like them
People I don't like go to the burny pit while I go to the cloudland hahaha fucking Guan Yu

I almost became Christian before I read this post

Where do people who already live in a burny pit go when they die?

fixed it

It's because it's something people literally just made up. It's easy to get something wrong when it's not even a fact in the first place. People just keep making it up as they go along. The concept is oblivious trying to control mortal behavior by scaring them into not being assholes thinking they'll suffer for eternity for it.

It's ridiculous, but it has it's function.

I'm a part of what some people call the "alt-right" and it feels punk as fuck. It feels like an actual counter culture, or rebellion against the PC culture that dominates American colleges.

Australia is the burny pit obviously.
That's why so many people there have convict ancestors.

We've already died and we are currently in hell. At least that's what it felt like after I took the red pill and saw through the horse shit.

anyway, what occurs between when you die and the last day imo isn't all that clear from the gospels. However, at the end of time there is a physical ressurection- ie, you claw out of the tomb. Then there is a general judgement. A physical lake of fire is constructed, and the damned are thrown into this lake of fire to burn for all eternity. The saved go onto the world to come, which is described not very clearly .

So...I don't need to worry about hell at all then.

and I get to make fun of the newbie souls for being soft cunts.