Remember how optimistic and futuristic the year 2000 felt? Whatever happened with that?

Remember how optimistic and futuristic the year 2000 felt? Whatever happened with that?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1glM0LgjCOY
youtube.com/watch?v=Dlde5Ovqp8E
cybercemetery.unt.edu/archive/fcic/20110310173720/http://c0182732.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/fcic_final_report_chapter8.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=Div0iP65aZo
wsj.com/articles/subprime-auto-loan-loss-expectations-rise-1468341801
usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/10/02/delinquency-rates-rise-riskiest-auto-loans/91427770/
usa.streetsblog.org/2016/06/10/car-dependence-and-the-troubling-rise-of-subprime-auto-loans/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

9/11
How could you forget that leaf

>9/11
>invaded Iraq
>2008 financial crisis

that

Boomers crashed the party with the greatest heist of the 21st century, the Financial Crisis of 2008.

>9/11
>mass data collection
>Iraq, Libya, Syria
>Terrorism
>2008 crash and slow """recovery"""

People became disillusioned m8.

My first memory was on April 17, 2000. So I have no clue.

We're picking back up where we left off with Trump. It's gonna be a fun 8 years!

>terrorism
>the solution is to bring in more muslims though, trust me -merkel, hrc, obama

Pretty much this but I still feel like the early to mid 2000s (2000-2006) weren't all that bad

It wasn't until the social media boom, recession and the SJW takeover that shit really took a downturn.

>we must also (((liberate))) Muslim lands
>By removing stronk leaders who have crushed dissenting Islamic cells with force
>Bet we can arm those guys too
>[SHEKEL COUNTING INTENSIFIES]

Yeah. This mostly. Pre-9/11 was completely different, you almost had to try hard to fail. Now failure is status quo and we are even importing people who are used to failure. How can we even compete?!

But seriously 2000 was pretty comfy.

>failure is status quo

I know a lot of young white males with good degrees from reputable universities who looked for a job and failed, found a job and gave up, or never even started to look. There's a really palpable malaise. Lots of people (white people, uncharacteristically considering our past) just seem hopeless now. Wonder (((why))) that is and (((whom))) is to blame.

I remember 2000. I feels much like that now, but more victorious, legit, and optimistic.
But then came 911

Fire up the oven, burger.

Infact, fuck it. Let's just throw them into an active volcano. Or that Xbox sized pit mine in Siberia. I am so fed up, and (((mass media))) has made them so stupid and apathetic, it irks me how the white men have fallen so far. We were such sheep.

What was this memory?

>It will never be 1999 again

youtube.com/watch?v=1glM0LgjCOY

Sister's birthday.
My second memory was less than a month later of my cousin's birth.

yuck
youtube.com/watch?v=Dlde5Ovqp8E

Jews don't like when we have fun. Notice how all the tech companies are pro-kike faggot producers now?

I was only two, so I have no memories earlier than 2007.

Your first memory was when you were 8-10?
I was 3.

Fuck i spent all of 2007 in iraq and already had a kid at that point. I didnt even use the internet till i was 15.

What? I can remember things from when I was 2 years old, how can you only remember things from when you were 9?

No, what I meant was I can vividly remember most of my life after 2007. Sure I can remember certain events before 2007, but its mostly a blur.
Merry Christmas Grandpa. Should I be worried about your image's filename?

aka

>jews

um things did go better for digital music

but the creative content got shittier

all new music is shitty and pretty much free from the artists

Itl happen to you. 4chans all fun and games until your in your 30s and you are tired at work because you stayed up all night giving your spirt to kek to form a genki dama of meme magic

No. 2000 has become too distant in the past for me to feel nostalgia. I have only memories of suffering.

>calling a full grown adult grandpa on a 13yo anonymous shitposting website

go back to redit piss pants

A lot of what's in that video is from way before 1999. Or it feels like it. Damn, 18 years already. Was it last month or forever ago?

Literally Jews.

The year 2000 looked optimistic mostly because the implications of our domestic / foreign policy plans had not come to light.

Direct funding of mujahideen groups in Afghanistan to counter Soviet control by the US gov't led to the formation of terrorist cells that blamed American intervention policies for escalating the fighting.

We just did not know that.

When 9/11 happened the common American was not cognizant of the fact that their tax dollars had been used to create these groups as a proxy to deter Russian control in the Middle East.

Post 9/11, most focus was drawn towards foreign policy, hinging on blind faith in the strength of the American Housing Market.

It is true that the Housing Market was strong, but the advent of CDC portfolios stuffed full of shitty subprime mortgages coupled with rating agencies that did jack shit to prevent such a thing from happening caught the average American off guard in 2008 too.

Read this: cybercemetery.unt.edu/archive/fcic/20110310173720/http://c0182732.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/fcic_final_report_chapter8.pdf

It is only until you read the reports, that many people don't bother with, that you learn the true extent of these events.

>>There could have been a future. A good future, where the optimism of 2000 could have continued.

I was 1 so idk

Damn, that link explains so much.

>Remember how optimistic and futuristic the year 2000 felt? Whatever happened with that?

White people developed a fetish for multiculturalism.

Now we fall over backwards to let brown people colonise our countries.

jews happened

in 1999, Çlinton was bombing serbia in support of a bunch of stinking Muslin Albanians. For what, I still don't know. Milosovich was the Hitler of the day and the Middle East was being completely ignored, except for the "sanctions" on Iraq, which caused the death of 500,000 children by witholding medical supplies and food to them. So they would "rise up" or some shit. But no one gave a shit.

the great sand wars happened

I can't understand anything that PDF is saying. Do you need a degree in economics to understand it or am I just full retard?

No, you should not need a degree. Take it slowly. The language is slightly academic but it is geared towards the average reader.

If you need a 10-12 sentence TLDR I can make one for you.

Brilliantly written piece for sure.

I'll give it another shot later when this Christmas stuff is over and I can focus better. Usually I can make heads or tails of things pretty good so I'll try again later.

america has been constantly reminded of our middle eastern actions since the '70s

it was never not a well known thing.
I'm going to guess you just happened to be quite young at the time.

As a society we failed to meet even the lowest interpretations of our expectations about how sophisticated we would prove ourselves to be as technology swarmed everyday life.

Nearly all of us turned to be slackjawed morons when it came to even the simplest attempt to comprehend or understand technology.

Marketers took it from there. Why do you think we pay $100/month for phone service with the audio quality of Motorola radios at an oil refinery?

Jews did 9/11

9/11
iraq
Obama

>Remember how optimistic and futuristic the year 2000 felt? Whatever happened with that?

I just finger blasted Santa in Virtual reality

2000 can suck it

All of that is happening again, only this time, the bubble is bigger and more widespread. Instead of just housing, it has moved into student debt, pension funds, public works and other "collateralized" DOs, with fewer financial institutions covering the debt and the futures. The next crash will be 100x bigger and probably bring down FDIC.

From what I understand, the way people invest in the housing market is by purchasing tranches, or insurance on bundles of houses with a certain amount of liability (A+=mortgage is always going to be repaid, F=owner is a black single mom on welfare buying mansion using a government loan to purchase the house). Of course, the A+ tranches get sold easily, but firms were left with a bunch of shitty tranches which no one wanted to buy. Thus, they swept up all the shitty tranches of various housing groups into a brand new bundle, calling it a CDO, and now everything which was once an F tranch is now subdivided into "A+ CDO", "A CDO" etc.

But I like it better now. We could have remained in the blissful ignorance of the blue pill, but these events led us all here to the red pill. So now we can see clearly that even back in the 90s shit was horrible there was never any hope.

Before 2008, we were riding a few bubbles that masked the underlying decline of our economy, so lower real incomes, benefits, and a declining prime age labor force participation rate-- all thanks to market fundamentalism (laissez-faire & free trade)-- were masked by rising home values and easy access to credit. After 2008, we were hit with the reality of the economy and didn't have a bubble that everyone could ride to carry us. Today, real median incomes are still lower than in 1999, the prime age labor force participation rate is lower still, benefits are lackluster at best, home ownership rate is back to 1990s lows, rents as a percentage of incomes are near all time highs, and now tons of people have a bunch of student loan debt without real job prospects because companies want to exploit cheaper labor via h1b visas. Really, the underlying economy is sickly and it can definitely be felt and seen, especially with such a defeatist culture these days; you can even see it in interior decoration ideas where everything has a look of impoverishment about it (excessive use of plastic, re-use of garbage or reclaimed items, things painted in a way that looks amateurish (solid color, matte) or like it has been dunked in a vat of paint).

Software patents in the US being asserted heavily in the mid 2000s killed the rapid pace of internet innovation.

OP doesn't realize the new world order took over. The 90s were the last good decade

>(excessive use of plastic, re-use of garbage or reclaimed items, things painted in a way that looks amateurish (solid color, matte) or like it has been dunked in a vat of paint).

I like your imagery. There are large chunks of the "economy" these days that consist of poor people selling their junk to each other to convert the junk into cash long enough to buy groceries or pay the utilities or the rent.

Anyone else having huge problems with Captcha?

why does nobody ever bring up the dot-com bubble

pales in comparison to the visceral impact of shit like 9/11

DMCA passed.

tfw 30 but am unemployed

brendan looked so fucking good... people would kill for that hair...JUST

Nonsensical, loosely strung together buzzwords.

Not exactly, when you buy a mortgage bond (MBS or the now defunct CDO) you're just buying a particular composition of mortgages. If you want to invest in the 'housing market,' you'd buy a home directly or some sort or residential REIT.

Anyway, in place of buying a mortgage bond, you can sell a credit default swap which is basically just insurance against a bond default: The buyer pays a monthly premium and if the bond goes into default, the seller pays out a lump sum to the buyer.

Tranches were basically just scales of quality like the ordinary bond market where you see bonds rated from (depending on the rater's format) AAA down to CCC. So an AAA mortgage bond is implied to be as low risk as government treasuries and CCC is like... Greek sovereign debt circa 2012(ish). CDOs were basically low grade debt which didn't sell, repackaged as a new thing rather than the old thing no one wanted and functioned similarly to the standard MBS.

Synthetic CDOs (or MBSs) are just a combination of credit default swaps which were bought and sold in such a way to produce a position which mimics the underlying security; kind of like how buying a call and selling a put option at the same strike price on a stock produces a synthetic stock position which mimics the risk graph of buying stock itself.

just watch the big short

To be honest, I just envisioned IKEAs modern ideas on 'home décor.' It's total garbage. Personally, I haven't seen or heard of people selling a lot of their junk just to get by.

funny/scary thing is, a huge amount of liberals still use the Independent as their main source of info on muslims.

You're not poor. There is an entire invisible economy to people without credit.

>Remember how optimistic and futuristic the year 2000 felt?
No.

test

I think most of us realize that the world has gone to chaos and is not going to get better. Our human problems at this point have become so complex that no genius could ever solve them. What we will have is AI.. It will take over this function. For it to bring about a better world is still down the road a ways. It will be even longer before it creates a world which is orderly enough to not suffer.

No, I'm not poor. The point I was aiming at was that there's a total lack of craftsmanship and effort going into most things these days, which is a strong indication of malaise. Painting all your wood furniture white is a hell of a lot easier than the effort required to lacquer it to bring out the wood's natural beauty. So is painting over the base molding with the same color as the wall using boring matte paint. Worst of all, it's super easy to just leave untreated wood and exposed concrete as is.

MPAA
RIAA
torrent lawsuits
patent trolls
social media monopolies
9/11
worldwide Islamic caliphate
military industrial security complex
subprime mortgage crisis
professional social justice warriors
identity politics
the cult of TED Talks
jews
jews
jews
jews

It's not just student loans, car loans are fucked too.

Over the next ten years a major auto loan crisis will finally do both GM and Chrysler in.

>Remember how optimistic and futuristic the year 2000 felt?

It wasn't an optimistic time. But at least the scare campaign about the Y2K bug and the ensuing collapse was a thing of the past.

Except now it's just been replaced with another one. The "experts" are right this time, though. Last time it was only fake experts who were worried, and the story was overblown and exaggerated, because surely millions of people wouldn't be worried over nothing and if the experts and agree and the media reports it, it has to be true. We're smarter now as a people, and there's no way we're wrong too.

I wonder how 2016 will be rewritten by the time we reach 2032?

They are too big to be allowed to fail.

>the internet was touted as this free bastion, a new world
>jewed the fuck out like every other venture
really makes you click the buy button

2001 happened

It's been a downhill slide from there.

Frankly, the way I can foresee this country's problems being remotely close to solved would be a Civil War that kills at least 30% of the populace, causes the disintegration of the United States, and forces us back to square one.

You're absolutely right. And so-called "consumer debt," too. Mastercard and Visa. With incomes flat and real costs (food, fuel, rent) rising, there is no way consumers will be able to pay off the trillions that are carried forward month by month.

>If you need a 10-12 sentence TLDR I can make one for you.

yes please

Different sector, but I see your point. It really isn't that far from Ikea to orange crates to using an old door for a kitchen table and thinking it is hipster chic. In fact, junk aesthetic does end up being more creative than bourgeois aesthetic. At least it has some thought behind it.

There's nothing notable to be worried about with those two. Federal student loans (making up most of the market) can't effectively be defaulted on and cars lack speculative activity (no one is getting a loan on a car expecting the value to increase) along with the major issuers of subprime auto loans being independent, non-depository institutions. Worst case with car loans, some of the lots would go under and the higher risk lenders may go under as well, but they pose no systemic risk. In fact, a lot of the riskier lenders would make out fine because a bunch of repo cars being sold at once has limited impact on the overall market (unlike housing for example).

>bourgeois
cancer word

>At least it has some thought behind it.
Stringing trash together requires no thought whatsoever. However, designing every intricate detail of a space, coordinating colors, and making sure you even have the craftsman skilled enough to make what you're looking for requires considerable effort.

>before 9/11 70% of american muslims vited republican

>You'll never go back to the 00s

>Our human problems

What problems? The world has never been more peaceful. Food is so plentiful Americans need little scooters to get around shartmart. Turns out "peak oil" didn't take into account technical advances in extraction. And global warming, while probably a real thing remains on the distant horizon. Even the modern plagues of SARs or whatever failed to materialise.

The only thing that really seems to have got unaffordable since 2000 is housing, and that could revert to normal if people wanted.

youtube.com/watch?v=Div0iP65aZo

Once. Obama was a Chicago Democrat and made a deal (a shitty one, though). The GOP will tell GM and Chrysler to drop dead.

further reading:

wsj.com/articles/subprime-auto-loan-loss-expectations-rise-1468341801

usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/10/02/delinquency-rates-rise-riskiest-auto-loans/91427770/

usa.streetsblog.org/2016/06/10/car-dependence-and-the-troubling-rise-of-subprime-auto-loans/

You guys are so delusional. I'm sorry SJWs hurt your feelings, but your lives aren't going to improve until you stop blaming others for your problems.

>Implying the Scooters are from places other than California
You know, for some reason, people from poor countries always have a thing against the US actually having food

>(no one is getting a loan on a car expecting the value to increase)

But people are getting loans on cars expecting to use them. If they can't pay, the car is repossessed by the bank. This leaves the buyer with shit credit and no transportation. That said it's a larger problem for car companies, which unlike Universities have to maintain positive cash flow and can go bankrupt.

>but they pose no systemic risk.

True, but it's radically change American society. The auto industry would be much smaller, while buyers wouldn't be so hot to buy new cars anymore. This means the end of auto dominance (but not the end of cars, just their dominance over American transportation).

tfw 26 but am unemployed

filthy fucking American government

Get the fuck out of here kid

Just watch pic related, it explains everything.

Oh how wrong it has turned out to be!

hng all that nostalgia

There was like five awesome games on that list. It feels like there's only an awesome game every year now

member club again.

I'm still optimistic about 2020 though.
Ai gf might be real soon

good question, here's the trufax
>9/11 (but this isn't the main reason)
>2nd great depression
>social media
>feminism, the rise of the eternal Chad, and female hypergamy
>globalism running amok
>too much (global) competition to the point of disillusionment
>forced diversity

>It wasn't until the social media boom, recession and the SJW takeover that shit really took a downturn.
Let's just be honest: The dream ended with Obama.

>1999 was 23 years ago

this
but we have to think kek for it
all the libs are from the older generations
i am stunned every time i talk to the younglings who never new the world of the 90s... they are all in the tank for Sup Forumsitics.

9/11 happened

it was a meme. the world was never good.