What does Sup Forums think about asteroid mining? Is it a viable solution to the depletion of Earth's natural resources...

What does Sup Forums think about asteroid mining? Is it a viable solution to the depletion of Earth's natural resources? Asteroids are known to contain VAST quantities of metals and minerals (including rare earth elements that are essential for electronic appliances like smart-phones!). Not only that, but we can unfreeze the ice on asteroids so that we have water to drink. We can also split the water into its constituent elements, hydrogen and oxygen, and use the hydrogen as rocket fuel while using the oxygen to breathe. Also, daily reminder that the asteroid 253 Mathilde has an estimated value of over 100 TRILLION dollars and is thus the most valuable asteroid we currently know about. So maybe it's time to start mining asteroids.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_(rocket_family)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outernet
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Working as a chemist. I must say the thought of palladium and platinum being much cheaper is very exciting.

Sadly since we spend so much supporting negroes, we will never reach the stars.

>asteroid 253 Mathilde has an estimated value of over 100 TRILLION dollars
This is only true if they don't flood the pmg market. Which means tht 100 Trillion would take tens of thousands of years to materialize.

If they dump the asteroids worth of palladium on the market all at once it would be worth less than Si

>we will never reach the stars.

Nah, man. Fuck that. We will reach the stars. 2016 (and continuing into 2017) is the era of the nationalist revival!

>This is only true if they don't flood the pmg market. Which means tht 100 Trillion would take tens of thousands of years to materialize. If they dump the asteroids worth of palladium on the market all at once it would be worth less than Si

I totally get what you're saying. We should put those materials on the PMG market sparingly.

I want to be an asteroid miner. It sounds fucking fun.

Unnessesary, salt mining is much easier, and Hillary supporters are much closer to us than asteroids

>It sounds fucking fun.

It is. Low gravity means you can jump higher than on Earth and just have fun doing what the fuck ever.

You won me over at "jump higher".

I'm not saying it wouldn't be incredibly lucrative. I may saying it wouldn't be out of this universe lucrative though. I can't really estimate because I dont know the numbers before me. But assuming it costs somewhere between 3-10bn to set up the equipment to be able to draw down an asteroid say into the moon. Then another 10-30bn to harvest it. Only a super state would have the resources to undertake th e mission.

Overall. I just don't see it as feasible due to negroes and muslims draining our progress bar.

They will simply use thrusters of some sort to propel it to Earth and then when it is within our atmosphere, counter thrusters/parachutes will prevent catastrophic collision.

15,342 near-Earth asteroids are currently known. We don't have to go to the Asteroid Belt to mine asteroids.

You would lose a lot of the mass. Landing it would be a complete nightmare. Slowing a large asteroid down would be all but impossible. It could easily wipe out a city, country, or our species with a tiny mistake.

Just slam the fucking thing into the moon.

40 billion eh? So the US just needs to skip building a few F-35s to fund the mission.

While I 100% in favor of asteroid mining; I can't help but see problems with it:
>super expensive to launch equipment into space
>very difficult to operate around asteroid, let alone land equipment or hold the thing in a stable orbit
>at first, asteroid mining will be janky and full of problems
>getting the gods back to earth is also super expensive
>as soon as your product reaches earth, you instantly devalue is worth by increasing supply
So there would be insane operating costs, only to be able to sell inexpensive materials. It makes me worry

>Landing it would be a complete nightmare. Slowing a large asteroid down would be all but impossible. It could easily wipe out a city, country, or our species with a tiny mistake. Just slam the fucking thing into the moon.

Or you could just land an asteroid into the Pacific Ocean. Not a hard thing to do. You could fit ALL of the land on Earth into the Pacific Ocean and STILL have room to spare.

40b sounds like a sound estimate given what I know of space exploration. The F-35 is only 137m IIRC per unit, not the project.

Assuming we can slam an asteroid into the moon and then just hurl smaller chunks down to earth into the ocean for pickup. A lot of loss but seems the safest way

I don't think it would be as difficult as you make it out to be, especially with controlled demolitions of the asteroid to make it a manageable size.

This has been done with missiles weighing around 90,000 pounds

With a bit of innovation, you could easily do hundreds of thousands of pounds and drop it into nearby pool of water without any drastic effects.

It would be much much easier to process hundreds of thousands of pounds if it were on Earth.

same. it sounds proper comfy.

Your knowledge about physics is lacking. It takes about 3 minutes to do the math for the energy of a 1km long asteroid slamming into earth at the velocity the average asteroid travels at.

Just a quick spoiler: The result is the earths crust peeling like an orange.

I heavily disagree with the difficulty of getting a large sized asteroid to earth safely. My doctorate is in chemistry not physics though so ˜_˜

>What does Sup Forums think about asteroid mining?
It's a good thing.
We need to get our species off this planet for our long term survival.

I'd love the option to get as far as fuck away from Earth as possible, once we get space-internet developed at least.

>We need to get our species off this planet for our long term survival.

I completely agree with you. Humanity's destiny is to expand out into the cosmos. I'd love to permanently leave this rock someday.

>once we get space-internet developed at least.

Space-internet sounds good. I can't wait to shitpost in space. kek

>Sadly since we spend so much supporting negroes, we will never reach the stars.
this

No manned spaceflight....
No Superpower status....
Ergo, the US is no longer a Superpower....
Thank you nigger Obama, you short sighted piece of shit.

We used to shit like pic related

>slam asteroid into the thing that controls our tides and orbits and shit

hm

hmmmmm

It's a big thing. It can take it. Tides arn't that important in a post natural world.

If you say so medpack

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_(rocket_family)

"After the U.S. Space Shuttle program ended in 2011, Soyuz rockets became the only launch vehicle able to transport astronauts to the International Space Station."

You guys are literally getting cucked by Russia.

Wouldn't it be a bit simpler to just build a station in or adjacent to the asteroid belt and have automated mines do the work there? You'd cut on the amount of fuel needed to transport the materials to earth and assuming we have the technology by then, build more mines with the materials gathered.

This is where it will begin.
The mining of the asteroid belt and the access to those raw materials will be the start of a golden age for humanity.

Forgot pic.

Is there any sort of space based private industry at all currently, besides satellites?

If we had a space elevator, we wouldn't need to worry about the risks of atmospheric entry. We could just put the stuff we mined onto the top of the space elevator and safely take them down to Earth.

>"After the U.S. Space Shuttle program ended in 2011, Soyuz rockets became the only launch vehicle able to transport astronauts to the International Space Station."
>You guys are literally getting cucked by Russia.
Exactly.
And it's all because of NIGGERS.
In particular, that nigger obama.

We can only hope that Trump makes the Solar System great again (starting with America, obviously).

Trump is already gathering all the tech heads

He'll rebuild NASA and get things running again

> be year 2420
> be a liberal
> start complaining that mining asteroids will destabilize our solar system because it acts like a natural shield from other asteroids and blah blah blah
> forget about the global warming hoax because obviously we had survived it by then

Mark my words.

>Trump is already gathering all the tech heads
>He'll rebuild NASA and get things running again
Would be very nice.
Does he understand that without manned spaceflight, we are no longer a Superpower?

We are all slowly sliding back into the third world. Not launching anywhere.....

>Is it a viable solution to the depletion of Earth's natural resources?

I don't think so other than scarce specialty resources, but I do think it's the key to getting the raw materials to build infrastructure in space. Getting the amount of shit we need out of our gravity well is fucking tough. It makes sense to use what we can that's already up there.

Very interested to see manufacturing and refining in space in the future, if it happens. Some very neat and novel processes will have to be created.

Fuck yeah, I wanna be a space miner.

>over 100 trillion dollars
it won't even be close to that given how much the price will decrease when more of the resource is made available

still, as long as it's feasible I don't see why we shouldn't go for it

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outernet

Space docks and manufacturing needs to be built. Not sure about the problems of heating and cooling but dumping a toxic mess on the moon will have far less consequences than on earth. Could build fission plants as well but that goes right back to cooling. We as a planet need to be reaching for the stars not giving rapefugees a place to live unless its a prison colony.

>Does he understand that without manned spaceflight, we are no longer a Superpower?

Yes. He had a pretty based speech in Florida about this very thing.

Think Trump doesn't want credit for a Mars landing?

Is the earth even close to being depleted of natural resources? Surely there is a plethora of them in uninhabited zones of the planet?

>Does he understand that without manned spaceflight, we are no longer a Superpower?

Of course he understands that. What do you think MAGA is all about?

>We as a planet need to be reaching for the stars not giving rapefugees a place to live unless its a prison colony.

This, except rapefugees aren't welcome in THIS prison colony.

>What does Sup Forums think about asteroid mining?
Would work as a asteroid miner if given the chance.

>Think Trump doesn't want credit for a Mars landing?
Put that way....
His name would be know for thousands of years if he were to put us on Mars!

Woo-WOOOO OVERTIME.

I'd love to wrangle and mine asteroids. I'd be down with a 12 month contract, shoot me up then let me have my leave on-planet.

Will ruin balance of power on earth, so they`ll never allow it for people to do.
also: asteroid > nuke

Ah, the good 'ol days, back when Florida was relevant.

there is. scarcity is a meme

>His name would be know for thousands of years if he were to put us on Mars!

This is why I think that Trump's ego is a good thing when it comes to his upcoming presidency. Trump will obviously WANT to be remembered as America's best President, so he's going to do all sorts of cool shit like getting us to Mars.