So what's the verdict on Art of War? Is it really a meme book? What are some better books on military strategy?

So what's the verdict on Art of War? Is it really a meme book? What are some better books on military strategy?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Generation-Warfare-Handbook-William-Lind-ebook/dp/B017IP1JM2
traditionalright.com/author/wslind/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Mene book.
Poor dad rich dad is better

amazon.com/Generation-Warfare-Handbook-William-Lind-ebook/dp/B017IP1JM2

4th generation warfare by William S Lind who also has a great blog

traditionalright.com/author/wslind/

overrated

Bruce Lee says be like water

Good book, but just a meme if you think it's the defenitive.

It's literally the book on war

Bump

read it nigger

For something that's over 2000 years old, I like it. I think it's something that all generals are require to read.

Hipster book

You ever read it?

meme book promoted by ((intellitegtialls)) that wanted to turn their back on their anglo history, and foster a love of 'mysterious east' the war books larenece of arabia mentions in his book are much better, and surpirse, they were all writin by anglos and euros

It's a book about the philosophy of war. It's not very useful in modern warfare except introducing the core principles of war.

Read Clausewitz. Also Le Bon had some good stories about Napoleon being a complete autist

Its shit. It's fucking retarded.

Dude fuck that old school ching chong pong bullshit, buy the best book in the policial philosophy section instead.
Pic related.

I've read
>Jomini's art of war
>Clausewitz, On War
>Seapower in the 21th century, Geoffrey Till
>Counterrinsurgency warfare, david Galula
>On thermonuclear war, Herman Khan
>book on guerilla by Mao ChingChong
>Attacks, Erwin Rommel
>The mask of command, John Keegan

Miyamoto Musashi - 5 rings

People like to jump to the conclusion of it being overrated, but who here has actually gone so far as to studying the book?
It is not a fictional adventure to be read once and be done with, if you would like to point out that we have advanced so much in modern warfare,
remember that this book was written ~2500 before you were born, so holding up to modern day standards is incredibly unfair, but that said,
it nonetheless doesn't hold up too badly.

It's written for its time, taken in that context it is genius. Trying to be all new age and claiming it somehow is a perfect tool for corporate life or whatever is stupid. Just read it keeping in mind when it is written and you will love it.

the viets were a big fan and used it extensively in the vietnam war

its just a lot of stuff about not being a stubborn brute in war and learning when to play the soft games of espionage and deception, and how to stretch your resources to the max

to sun tzu, the best way to win a fight is by not fighting at all

just read it, its not a thick book, you can finish in an hour

Lmao no Caesar or Mahan

Looking at their casualty figures, you'd think they'd be a bit more careful in applying Sun Tzu's principles. They got the job done but at a horrific price.

Seeing how they were a bunch of rice farmers fighting arguably the most advanced Military in the world at the time. I'd say they did a pretty good job on the casualty category.

no they wern't, they were big fans of the arab revolt. and of lawrence of arabia, with his 'pack of grain' being anologious to thier rice packs

True. It's an amazing (somewhat pyrrhic) victory but they'd already been at war for decades before the US entered in force.

Some basic yet important concepts.

> choose your battlefield carefully
> discipline your troops
> falseflag
> Make the ennemy run, not fight to the death

It seems obvious, yet a lot of defeats, posterior to the book, have been caused by not respecting those rules.

Now, as far as I recall, this book won't really speak about the battle herself like the strategy of the Hammer and the Anvil, the use of artillery (but you wouldn't expect during this period), or the use of fast moving troops (cavalry, motorized infantry...).

Pic sort of related.

On War - Clausewitz, is better

Underrated

Mein Kampf

>tfw all the ching chongs who wanted to make war ceremonial got btfo
noice

This man knows

>to sun tzu, the best way to win a fight is by not fighting at all

I didn't know he was canadia- oh wait
It all makes sense now.

>reading Caesar's propaganda
I have not yet read Mahan true, don't think it would be actually beneficial since I read commentaries relevant to his book on seapower

Which would you recommend?

Not precisely what he meant. He said the pinnacle of excellence was to make the enemy submit without violence.

Aside from that, he had no qualms with the employment of violence-- he just acknowledged that the enemy surrendering without violence is preferable.

There is some medieval war advise but there are timeless advices too.

I would recommend reading 48 rules of power. It contains anectodes that will help you understand the power play in daily life.

fucking kill yourself.

Lmao no Xenophon or Mackinder

I'm too poor to afford decent editions of all the anabasis books
fuck you anyway, leaf

>implying that this worked well for him

ah man you missed the joke. Sad!

What are you looking for?
Clausewitz is a must read

What a dumb thread this is.

That's good enough for a start. Thanks bro.

it is a fantastic book. i recommend you read it at a rate of one chapter per week. Find one take away from that chapter and apply it during that week. It has a lot of good advise that does not just apply to fighting wars.

>can't into proper capitalization, punctuation, or spelling
Where can I subscribe to your newsletter senpai?