What is the point of the electoral college?

What is the point of the electoral college?

To temper the tyranny of the mob.

to fuck californians really hard

to save the white race from savages

to fuck you in your low iq foreign asshole. you stupid, dirty, smelly fucking brown

So that retards dont vote en masse

To avoid mob rule of cities

affirmative action for low iq hicks

who is this goad toad?

give small states a bit more power.

Equally divide representation between all states in accordance to population size.

The electoral college elected Obama as well as Trump. You can't have it both ways, Liberals.

Didn't Obama win the popular vote? If they'd abolished the EC, he would've won as well.

History would've been COMPLETELY different if rules were changed at any point to accomedate a popular vote victory.

To avoid mob rule.

What is the point of continuing to ask this question over and over?

Yeah, you're right. I misphrased my sentence. I meant, the Brit gave the impression that Obama lost the popular vote but won the EC, which isn't true.

Stop posting frogs.

No, Hillary won the popular vote against Obama. Goes to show how that part isn't relevant. Maybe they will give her a bronze badge or something.

The US is a union of the states, not a union of every single person in the states.

If you still don't get it, look at the 10th amendment

Stop masturbating.

Our election system is based on the states being represented at the federal level. Each state's vote counts a certain amount. This prevents large cities or states from controlling Washington and gives a little more control to smaller, more rural locales.

ITT: Everyone mistakes the EC for the Senate

If EC was for the same purpose of Senate, why is it PEOPLE voting on behalf of the state instead of the states themselves being assigned the vote? Why can electors vote against their state's results? Because the EC is to prevent the people from electing a confirmed retard, not to prevent small states from being cucked.

Eternal Liberal Butthurt

If it wasn't for the electoral college every election would be decided by several major cities and the rest of the country would get completely ignored. It's actually a really smart system.

I'm trying

dumb frog poster

Obama lost the popular vote of the primary, going to a pure popular vote mechanic makes him not the nominee, the race becomes McCain vs Hillary.

To answer the OP's question, the executive branch does not preside over the people, it enforces federal law and acts as commander in chief of the military as such it is elected by the states. The EC exists to put emphasis on winning more states while maintaining a slight advantage for larger states to represent their larger populations. We are a group of 50 individual republics held together loosely by a federal constitution without the EC the union has no reason to continue as smaller states would be completely powerless in decisions concerning how their citizens are used in the military or how federal laws will be enforced in their states. Frankly the President should be decided on a one state one vote system wherein each state uses their popular vote to decide who their Republic backs in the election, but this would make Democrats irrelevant. Popular vote matters in state level elections for Governor and Congressional representatives, this prevents the excess bleed over of CA from influencing the election in smaller states. CA being really really really blue doesn't mean that suddenly Kentucky has to adopt democrat policies.

I do believe I understand the electoral college. However, now follow me please. If half of the country lived in cities and the other half lived in rural or poorer cities. To increasing votes in rural areas would have to have a large baby-boom and suddenly they control the congress and presidency for a while.

Then the cities would be depended on immigration to balance out the vote.

Inb4: fuckin leaf.

To avoid the tyranny of the majority.

The interesting thing is, the system was created to stop what the left are branding Trump as. So either the left are wrong about Trump (likley) or the system was completely broken from day 1.

to keep Californians (aka subhumans) from fucking up the entire country