Does /pol think we will see some full scale military exoskeleton tech in our lifespan? I don't mean the HULC project...

Does /pol think we will see some full scale military exoskeleton tech in our lifespan? I don't mean the HULC project, but a full on speed/ strength/decision making and augmented reality . I'm confident that IRONMAN shit does not exist yet. Does US military have some enhancing drugs that make you the perfect killing machine? Is it politically correct ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/HEJO8t_wCUQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_TDR
youtu.be/xMGXqT0LWUI
technologyreview.com/s/507576/nanotube-muscles-bench-50000-times-their-own-weight/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=MYGJ9jrbpvg
youtube.com/watch?v=p2W23ysgWKI
futurism.com/2018-will-be-big-on-special-forces-exoskeleton-tech/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

in the next 5 years

Why does it matter?

I already identify as a military combat vehicle

youtu.be/HEJO8t_wCUQ
All lives matter

I think that tech is available now in some skunk-work lab on a off budget government branch. Waiting for mass production.

Nah. They're clearly working on transitioning to remotely controlled ground drones. It's why they've built a 100 petabit private network across the globe and funded things like that 'pack mule' robot quadruped and real-time ballistics tracing.

Weeb armor is much less efficient, and still has the liability of carrying some transgender 105 lb woman "soldier" in it who if she's nicked will receive millions in gibs for the rest of her natural life.

Not likely. Shit like that is just too bulky, and infantry needs mobility. Besides, will something like that be able to protect from RPG's or HMG's like DSHKM? Not likely, so the entire concept is meaningless and will never succeed.

Only after there is a huge breakthrough in electro motors and batteries and generators.

I was thinking something Crysis style suit.

Ehh that's not true, having a soldier carry things with easy and get less tired is good, and it wont be bulky either.
I mean there are already tests on it, the biggest issue is electrical supply.

We may see exo skeletons in use by not frontline troops like aircraft maintenance or artillery in the next 10 years.

Most likely
RARE CENTRA

Look ahead 50-80 years, and just as now as was then, you'll see more grunt work than high tech.

>Does US military have some enhancing drugs that make you the perfect killing machine?
>Perfect
Nope, though army fags use mail order performance enhancers by the ton, rarely get prescribed anything by medics, and chair-force get amphetamines and downers for long missions and after, strictly controlled.

That requires nano machines though.

What would be the power source ? Spiral energy ?

Your new is showing, how embarrasing.

battle droids when?

I wouldn't say it already exists, but DARPA is absolutely working on it and a probably a lot closer than we assume.

Correction, advancements in Carbon nanotube actuators. Most actuators on the market today are too bulky or imprecise to be embedded on an exoskeleton, Like Iron Man suit. Once Carbon nanotubes become cheaper to manufacture, expect there to be a boom in robotics and exoskeletons.

>he doesnt know how to roadie run

Probably not, we'll see lots of cool drone tech though.

Probably. The scientific advance is accelarating.

Technological advances are always closer than perceived. Take car radios for example. Even the smartest engineers not involved in their market availability thought it was never going to happen. 5 years ago no one ever heard of a stealth chopper before. You would be amazed at the tech the word powers are keeping on the down low.

Isn't this a discussion for /k/?

Bring this to /k/. Pol is a board of peace.

Especially when it comes to military technology. That shit can stay classified for decades. They were already building drones in the 1960s.

You mean 1940s.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_TDR

Shit, I did not know that.

>I don't mean the HULC project, but a full on speed/ strength/decision making and augmented reality .

there's not all that much point

the only task within reach that an infantry soldier needs to do that *might* require more strength than a regular, very fit human can muster is carrying large loads a long distance on their back, and we already have exoskeleton tech for that

any other augmentation is kind of a waste at the levels we're able to reach now, when a vehicle or just additional men could do it better

the tech probably exists in development, but it's just not polished or commercialized without a really viable commercial use

nah, infantry relies on hitting hard and fast, which you can't do in an armored exoskeleton

most likely we'll head in the direction of remotely controlled shit

Very very reliable source here. There will never be a human exoskeleton used by the military. Technology exists, and its highly feasible, but you won't see it in the military. You'll see rich old people using it, and you may see a construction application for it.

Here's why the military will never spend too much DARPA energy on exoskeletons:

The pace at which autonomous terrestrial robotic platforms are being developed, accompanied by software breakthroughs that enable nuanced target identification without the need of a human brain, negates any demand for a human exoskeleton.

Hey go back to faggot school. You talk like a homo go hang out with your mud buddies.

The guy on the right is a super-soilder, the guy on the left, not so much. The weapon is as only good as its user, and God knows how much it would cost to even match the Spartan 2 program.

Seems legit. The military is cutting out the human component whenever possible because the idea of people getting killed is unpalatable anymore.

One might be preferable over the other, but having a Spartan would be more useful in in some situations. I'm sure the both will find a role.

I don't understand. You're saying that having an infantry sized unit who is not only immune to small arms fire but could carry and use heavy equipments like machine guns and wire guided missles, take cover and is as mobile, if not more mobile than the regular infantry, wouldn't be useful somehow?

Yep, and you're going to see people making weapons out of Microwave ovens to disable them, and low flying drones.

No

Because humans have a conscious and will not shoot on their own brethren to keep someone else they dislike in power.

Carbon nanotube actuators are shown to bench 50,000 times it's own weight and can react 30,000 times faster than normal human muscle. So a humanoid robot with CNT actuators are capable of having Superman tier abilities. But there's still a lot of investments and breakthroughs needed to get this to the market.

Anyone interested in the amazing applications of carbon nanotube muscle watch this.
youtu.be/xMGXqT0LWUI

technologyreview.com/s/507576/nanotube-muscles-bench-50000-times-their-own-weight/

They also want to take out the human factor so then they could have an army of subservient superbots. You can't have Snowden tier leaks when most of your military personnels are either advanced AIs or humanoid robots. This will make it difficult for anyone to oppose the established order.

Pilots have "go pills". There are two versions. I don't know what the first version is,but the second longer lasting version is basically speed.

try DARPA.

FOR THE EMPEROR

>Because humans have a conscious and will not shoot on their own brethren to keep someone else they dislike in power.

read a history book lad, one from anywhere but the USA.

What? Kent state massacre brah. Nazi Germany. Mao's cultural revolution. Gestapo anywhere.

The soldier of the future

realistically, we have to be 30+ years from practical application of that

>All these posts about it being too bulky.
>No posts about the real issues.
Being heavy and flexible on the outside but squishy on the inside doesn't have much viability once you are hit. This is one of the reasons why maces were so popular in Europe before guns came along.

>Inb4 the machine holds itself up.

>immune to small arms fire

I wish this generation had more veterans. War is a necessary experience for the making of men.

Oh well. Nothing is immune to small arms fire. There are depleted uranium rounds, tungsten rounds, incidiary rounds. 7.62mm ball will do a number on armored light vehicles (HMMWVs, MRAPS, etc). Even tanks can get fucked up by a .50 cal, and RPGs cut through everything.

Exoskeletons would grant the same ballistic protection of the SAPI plates in your IOTV, but with a lot more coverage.

I think I am just going to play another play through of Stalker SOC

I'm just hoping Power Armor in the future wont look faggy and ugly like Crysis and Metal gear shit.

I can't wait to go on a crusade wearing this bad boy

Any military exoskeleton not looking like terror incarnate will fail field testing.

We don't need to make our Power armor cold steel levels of edgy to be intimidating. Just seeing them all march, hearing their powerful kinetic pistons pumping would be enough.

newfags think you just post abything on here

Okay, so this means that you should still take cover when there are any, but have a much smaller chance of being incapacitated when you do move.

Still sounds like a good deal to me, because this means you will be able to take the initiative much more often compared to a normal infantry.

The difference is that modern exoskeletons support itself where medieval armour used your skeleton as its own. Blunt force goes right through a medieval armour onto your body, but powered exoskeleton would absorb a lot of the force before it even reach the padding between the outer layer and your body.

Won't work. Standing armies should be made up of monsters, not look like baby sitters.

Like all high tech gadgets, it needs a powerful source of electricity and batteries are still terrible and nuclear batteries that can supply enough power are too radioactive so it's unlikely unless we completely revolutionize the way we store and discharge electricity.

>I'm confident that IRONMAN shit does not exist yet

You're fucking retarded

TR3B, Aurora exist, you think exoskeletons are still sci-fi?

LOL

So what happens when the battery runs out? Or the circuits get damaged? Or something like an EMP bomb gets invented?
Hard + flexible + squishy human body is a disaster waiting to happen. Mechas with actual cockpits are more likely that exoskeletons.

What happens when

>"oh hey guise we have this super compact energy source that's in no way related to the hundred patents we've been burying for decades :^) "

Mechas are fucking stupid anime shit, and no one will ever use it.

Graphene is probably the most likeliest candidate for an indestructible Exoskeleton

>Until recently, research into graphene’s has focused on its tensile strength - how much stress it can withstand when being pulled taught. With 200 times the strength of steel, it is being consideredfor the construction of concepts like the space elevator. But almost as impressive is the fact that it can dissipate 10 times the amount of kinetic energy as steel, which means it is also very strong in the face of direct assault.

>At Rice, materials scientist Edwin Thomas created an impact test using small sheets of graphene, and subjected them to a process known as the laser-induced projectile impact test (LIPIT).

>Using this laser-driven process, they were able to send “microbullets” against graphene sheets at speeds of up 3 km (1.9 miles) per second, which is much faster than the velocity of bullets being fired from a AK-47 assault rifle.

>For the sake fo the test, the research team lined up multilayer graphene sheets that were derived from bulk graphite – ranging from 10 to 100 nanometers in thickness. They then used a high-speed camera to capture images of the projectiles before and after they impacted the sheets.

>In each case, the microbullets punctured the graphene, but did not leave a clean, tidy hole. Instead, they noted the presence of fracture patterns around each point of impact, indicating that the graphene stretched before breaking. From their observations, they were able to calculate the amount of energy absorbed by the material and the rate at which it was able to dissipate it.

>They concluded that the graphene distributed the stress of the bullets over a wide area at speeds
of up to 2200 meters (7217 feet) per second. This is not only a rate of stress transfer higher than with any known material, it is also faster than the speed of sound in air - which is equivalent to 342 meters (1,125 feet) per second.

Cont
>This research into the potential of graphene for use as body-armor comes to us from Rice University, Houston, with additional support being provided by the Defense Threat Reduction Agency and the Welch Foundation - a Texas-based non-profit organization dedicated to the funding of chemistry research.

>What they found was that graphene's ability to simultaneously be stiff, strong and elastic makes it ideal for protective shielding. As Professor Thomas explained to Rice University's news and media oulet: "The game in protection is getting the stress to distribute over a large area. It's a race. If the cone can move out at an appreciable velocity compared with the velocity of the projectile, the stress isn't localized beneath the projectile."

>What this means is that a vest that is augmented with sheets of graphene would not only have a better chance of stopping a bullet, it would also be able to distribute the stress outward much more effectively. This would have the effect of reducing deaths and injuries associated with "blunt trauma", which in the case of gunshots is almost as lethal as a bullet wound itself.

>In addition, the ability of graphene layers to dissipate stress could also be useful with tanks and armored vehicles considering that kinetic weapons - like depleted uranium flechets and high-energy directed explosive devices - are widely used against them. Already, blocks of "reactive armor" and segments of composite are placed over tanks to offer additional protection, so it is not difficult to image that these existing systems could be further supplemented with graphene layers

Yeah which is why exoskeletons will also never be used.

bolters fire caseless rounds

Actually im expecting isreal to come up with that shit. As a result of the possible upcoming war, I say we will see them near 2050, bc rn is not a good time for the military to invest in that, along with the complications already existing prototypes have.

Lack of a reliable compact power source means it's not going to be feasible until that's addressed, but the concept itself is sound. Giant robots on the other hand need many many more technological breakthroughs to be practical.

While I hope you're right, I just don't get conspiracy theorists. What's the appeal of being a military conspiracy nut? We have plenty of revelations that didn't need all this conspiracy mumbo jumbo and few instances where a conspiracy theory has been shown to be even partially true.

Automated hominoid robots, drones, and military aircraft are the future of warfare. We're never going to see John-117 deployed in battle. He'll be obsolete before we even reach the point of creating super soldiers when humanity would already have machines that can exceed even superhuman performance.

Why fund a superhuman soldier program that just attempting to be an inferior version of a mechanized robotic super soldier when you already have the robotic super soldier?

>not having a shield generator
Nigga...

Getting squished inside a machine that is heavier than you are isn't feasible. There is a reason why vehicles have plenty of internal space.

>hominoid
It's a meme. Humanoid shape is a pretty shitty one as far as fighting goes.

The only application of an exoskeleton would be the Lieutenants and Platoon Sergeants who are commanding robotic infantry platoons and companies, but they wouldn't be in the traditional tactical placement of a PL and PSG where they are in the middle and rear of the platoon.

They will be far to the rear in a command post type vehicle or at a discountable
command node (computers on the ground) monitoring sensors and ensuring AI is complying with their orders.

I don't think you'd be able to effectively use the systems necessary to command a robotic infantry platoon from inside an exoskeleton. Would be a waste of the Army's money.

The USMC is the only entity stupid enough to invest in exoskeletons if industry is compelled by DARPA and HASC/SASC to develop such nonsense.

Humanoid shape has the advantage of being able to traverse environments and interact with objects designed for humans.

Maybe you wouldn't be squished if your exoskeleton wasn't papier mache and actually did its job. Crabs could make it. Why couldn't you?

Very very reliable source here again.

Not true. Humanoid is the most practical shape for the first few generations of robotic infantry brigades. We've have trillions of dollars of military equipment that has been in the field from the 1980s onward and will remain in the field until at least 2030 that can only be manipulated by humanoids.

We aren't just going to throw away fleets of vehicles and thousands of pieces of equipment (javelines, small arms).

A humanoid configuration provides flexibility. An individual unit can shift from being a simple rifleman to a grenadier or gunner in the middle of a fight by simply picking up gear or climbing into a crew position.

Crabs get squished all the time. It's one of the more popular methods of killing crabs.
You might want to note that many animal defence systems such as manes and scales rank as utterly retarded when human systems are implemented to destroy them.

The tech is available. The only problem is the same as Iron Man.
Ya need a battery to run the damn thing.
We don't have a power source small/strong enough to run it for prolonged periods of time.

Lithium nanotube batteries
spectrum.ieee.org/nanoclast/semiconductors/nanotechnology/nanotubebased-liion-batteries-can-charge-to-near-maximum-in-two-minutes

Interesting note:

This poor fool has inadvertently made significant contributions to future of robotic warfare from a mechanical engineering standpoint. I don't think he meant to contribute to death and destruction but his designs are being heavily toyed with:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=MYGJ9jrbpvg

While robot soldiers are likely to become common I think we will still see power armor like suits being used, at least with special forces.

As soon as robot soldiers start being common there will soon be an endless amount of new EMP-like devices churned out that are designed to fuck with their electronics and computers. It will be near impossible to make sure that the robots will never be able to be disabled ever.

Because of that you will still see people used in situations where robots might be disabled or at risk of it. Even if there are no electronics involved and its just with some super high-tech armor like graphene with biological enhancements like drugs or surgery to make someone have better sight, strength or reaction times etc.

There's many promising battery techs that is undergoing a shit ton of R/D. You all have to remember that it's only recently that the tech industry has started paying attention to battery technology. I have a feeling a lot of these promising new battery techs that's being developed today in many of the top labs will mature by the mid to early 2020s.

It does exist. What doesn't is the battery technology to power it for any meaningful length of time.

>what is a faraday cage
Protection from high energy EM radiation is already a thing in most military hardware, and is very easy to implement.
What it would do however is jam any radio communication to and from the device, which will act as an incentive to either make it entirely autonomous or put a human inside.

>Humans are Terrans
>The Flood is the Zerg
>The Covenant is the Protoss
>Forerunners are the Xel'Naga

how can anyone defend Halo?

Better, more fleshed out story.

The US military's had an exoskeleton for years. It's barely out of testing phases and is mainly used for cargo moving, and lacks combat applications yet.

youtube.com/watch?v=p2W23ysgWKI

HOWEVER, as of January there's testing for a combat application, and we may see full-scale use of it by 2020.

futurism.com/2018-will-be-big-on-special-forces-exoskeleton-tech/

You understand that Starcraft itself is just a blatant ripoff of WH40K, right?

Those suits are only really going to be used for unloading equipment that is either too small or too tedious to remove with vehicular or station assistance.

We won't ever need to use them in combat because a tank would destroy the fuck out of them and an armored combat-ready exoskeleton suit would likely cost as much as a jet. Far easier to just stick some guys up in some trees and give them a painter and some grenades.

>You understand that Starcraft itself is just a blatant ripoff of WH40K, right?

Pic obligatory.

actually, its slowing down

>CTRLALTDELET

how about you delete yourself user.

That's Penny Arcade not CTRL-ALT-DEL, you faggot.

I don't see militaries wasting this much money on a soldier's life, especially the likes of China.

>not wearing superior X-01

Is the TR3B the same thing as the Ghoul that was posted about here?

>calling it by its betheshit name

ishygddt

Look at the shit like railguns that they let us see. What do you think the shit that they kill people for thinking of speaking about is?

No, all this shit will be obsolete when mastery in nanotech weaponry that can target spine/brain area to immediately immobilize is obtains.