When did we forsake high culture, Sup Forums? When was European music tradition swept under the rug...

When did we forsake high culture, Sup Forums? When was European music tradition swept under the rug? When did poetry become entirely subjective?

I heard some people talk about how our music was basically indebted to African tradition and what Africans brought to the New World. Do people really not care about the greater things in our past?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PAeXRJtxbrQ
youtube.com/watch?v=HMRYcj0ruQw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

When kikes starting promoting nigger rap in mainstream media, so everyone that follows the mainstream started gobbling that shit up.

Why isn't proper art promoted in any modern subculture? Even Sup Forums has merely a general that often runs dry when it comes to classical. I would expect crypto-alt-kekists to shill it to an extent, instead I have to watch Sup Forums drool over Kayne and friends like the world wants you to.

>Why isn't proper art promoted in any modern subculture
Perhaps it's because some people simply do not have the attention span to listen to classical music? Perhaps it's because it seems too "snobbish" for some, so they don't particularly like the image associated with the music. I can't really tell you why.

Wat?

Classical music is alive and well. When I was living in Vienna, the concerts were always booked out. Getting a subscription ticked for the Vienna Philharmonic is difficult, the wait for the weekend performances is about 3 years or so. Here in the UK people are a less enthusiastic about it, but if you're not quick enough, you might not get a ticket to a good concert. I think the RSO who played in London earlier also sold out quickly.

It's being promoted. And people still enjoy it. Just because you people enjoy Pokemans and Skrillex doesn't mean it's not alive and well..

Is that fucking alta dema? How awful

It's hardly promoted in a broader public, and most people you'll find in a concert hall know jack about classical; they're there because it's the cool thing to do in their social spheres.

Anyhow, I was referring to production, which is all but gone (fuck experimental bullshit), and popularity in places such as Vietnamese imageboards.

It doesn't match our lifestyle anymore, it radiates superiority and we clearly have fallen really low on every level. Although I'm listening to this right now

youtube.com/watch?v=PAeXRJtxbrQ

I do only when I'm tired/before sleep at night, otherwise I just get annoyed and I feel like I want something that has much faster rhythm, which obviously matches my energy level during day (but I'm not referring to nigger music either of course)

I think OP was referring to why it has much less popularity and listen rate, than let's say rap, hiphop, etc.

Of course they're always booked, populations have increased and some people still feel the need to seem "cultured." Doesn't change the fact that they've never heard of anyone more obscure than, say, fucking Ravel. The average person at these concerts is ignorant of such famous composers as schoeck, barber, etc

>ravel
>schoeck
>barber
all garbage, kys pleb

>tchaikovksy

I never said they were good. Seems that you're trying too hard, leaf

Did you know Tchaikovsky was often ill received by contemporary critics? It really sets your synapses on fire. He's quite a lovely (literal) faggot.

youtube.com/watch?v=HMRYcj0ruQw

My point, basically, although I'd like to add that past times weren't quite as good as we make them out to be; there were even more uncultured people back then as a percentage of the population, it's just that they didn't have access to Twitter, the HBO and cultural markets. Your average concert-goer was just as clueless, too--it's all romanticized.

On a side note, Ravel will never be bad just because it's popular. Beethoven's 9th is and will always be a fine piece of music.

I'd say you shouldn't need to know the first 46 bars of Schubert's 2nd symphony to 'pass the test' and be deemed worthy of listening to finely performed piece of music.

By the way, I had many a talk about classical music and how it's perceived in the US with Americans. I can tell you that it's very different in Europe. The elitist and pseudo-sophisticated taint that it has in the USA is missing (or MUCH weaker) in Europe. People in Vienna of all backgrounds and status in society enjoy going to a live concert every now and then, and it's affordable and promoted everywhere (you'll see large posters of schedules in the Viennese subway, same for opera).

>has to mention three composers off the top of his head
>comes up with the most mediocre degenerate garbage possible
>accuses me of trying too hard
I repeat: kys pleb.

1. a dying civilization cannibalizing its culture and breaking it down, thus antagonizing any possible standard, in general, not just for music but for art and expression as a whole, any search for order and hierarchy that isn't temporal and subjective is almost like a blasphemy
2. a plebeian culture directed towards the bottom of the barrel of humanity rather than the best

you can't even really go "against" it in a dialectic manner, it's completely ingrained in our "culture"

>Did you know Tchaikovsky was often ill received by contemporary critics? It really sets your synapses on fire. He's quite a lovely (literal) faggot.
And he should still be. Everything he writes is just a large, unoriginal stage prop to fool the listener into thinking it's actually art. Literally musical memes of the late 19th strung together.

We lost high culture in industrialization when everything became commercialized and lowest-common-denominator

The point was to mention three some significant composers that most people don't know. Why are you so hysterical, leaf?

We lost high culture when the good guys (pic related) lost.

It all goes back to the reformation which was the catalyst towards nihilism and reductionism

>indebted to African tradition and what Africans brought to the New World.
not really so much that; "black music" is entirely an american born phenomenon; very little to do with africa. the only thing in common is that American blacks and African blacks have that same sense of rhythm.

>I'd say you shouldn't need to know the first 46 bars of Schubert's 2nd symphony to 'pass the test' and be deemed worthy of listening to finely performed piece of music.
Who the fuck said you should?
> I had many a talk about classical music and how it's perceived in the US with Americans
Your anecdotes are surely good evidence, confirmed when you describe a situation exactly like that of los angeles:
>(you'll see large posters of schedules in the Viennese subway

He tried to create a new European empire like Rome but got BTFO'd by the ETERNAL ANGLO

He should have realized that he stood no chance against Perfidious Albion

>ot BTFO'd by the ETERNAL ANGLO
lol, whatever helps you sleep at night

He's a leaf; he's been trying to shit up the thread by all means imaginable since the first post.

Your 60s and 70s stuff, which was decent by today's standards, was largely based off blues--which made European tradition die in turn, weakened as it was by Jazz pre-WWII and the political and cultural changes after the war itself.

We? I didn't forsake it. Most people are plebs. Most people have been plebs in every age.

Did you really think the average serf was going to the opera on the regular?

What did you mean by this?

At least there was good contemporary stuff to listen to

There still is. In fact there's a lot more being produced now than then and you're able to listen to it anywhere.

>There still is
Such as?

As I said, I do not--I'm complaining about the place it seemingly has in society right now, particularly how it is largely ignored in fringe movements such as the one going on here in Sup Forums.

I don't get it when people say they listen to classical music when they want to 'relax' or to help them drift off to sleep. I can only imagine that these people listen THROUGH the music rather than AT the music. Big difference. If you actually sat down and engrossed yourself in Bach's Partita 1 played by Gould you would not be feeling tired, rather elated and wired.

The reason classical in general is not popular is the same reason there is only a minority of intelligent people on this earth.

For the plebeian majority there is popular music; for the enlightened few there is high culture. One has to deal with that as best one can.