Would you pay $200,000 for a trip to Mars?

Would you pay $200,000 for a trip to Mars?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Sacramento_riot
change.org/p/berkeley-unified-school-district-fire-yvette-felarca
archive.fo/zLOGY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbit_insertion
youtube.com/watch?v=c7BLsmRAMaU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Only if it was one way with a guaranteed job once I land.

Actually, that's kinda my life plan. I want to get an education in modern agriculture.

no.

Only if they promise to crash me into a mountain.

no

round trip or one way?

Will there be any survivors?

Yes, I wont need earth emone any more

No. NASA would expect to find someone in the wreckage.

Only if I'm allowed to grok Martian.

yes, if only so I can draw a giant sign on the sand that says. FUCK OFF, MARS's FULL

You understand the gravity on mars will fuck you from ever coming back to earth right?

Y

One way, but you can buy a return trip.

Yes.

You're gonna have to pay me $200,000 to do that pal.

It would be a 1 way trip so no. Wouldn't want to miss out the shitposting on Sup Forums for anything

The fuck would you use 200 grand for on Mars?

If you took your helmet off, would you die?

i would pay $200,000 to be shot out of a cannon at mars with only a crash helmet and pillow-armor

I'd pay $200,000 for a one-way trip to terraformed Mars.

But current, frozen hellhole Mars? No thanks.

>I pay $200,000 I got from criminal life
>We get there
>Put space suit on
>Go out with everyone
>nothing but desert
>ship suddenly flies off with only pilot Goldstein on board
>Everyone stranded
>mfw it was a scam all along and there is no base or anything
>die

It would be extremely painful

It would be very decompressing.

Doing anything with Mars except mining it with robots doesn't seem worth it. There are like 20 billion planets in the galaxy, we're bound to find a perfectly earthlike one eventually.

You guys seem like men of large stature.

For ayyy.

For

Fuck off Elon

Depends who flies with me.

x months in contained space with obnoxious people - go fuck yourselves.

you could not PAY me $200k to take a trip to mars

I wouldn't do it if it was for free.

Add 4 Zeros and you are in the current ballpark costs... without any landing, just orbital. Maybe only 3 Zeros added for a flyby mission per person.

You'd have to pay me, I wouldn't mind being a pathfinder for a decent sum.

Might be able to send an asteroid into mars using fairly low cost laser ablation.

With any luck the energy released by the impact would cause the ice-caps to melt, pushing enough water vapor into the atmosphere to give mars a live-able climate.

Then all you'd have to do is put a fuckload of algae into the newly formed oceans.
With an atmosphere consisting of 95% carbon dioxide the algae would spread like wildfire and pump out insane amounts of oxygen.

I'm talking about Melon Husk's vision of getting the price down to the "median cost of an American house" not initial voyage costs.

fgt

Would it be warm enough though even after that? Further from the sun + cooler core

No idea, average temperature right now is -60C.

But considering that the average temperature on the south pole is -50C and that it used to be teaming life, I'd say anything is possible.

teaming with** life

To live or die I would not care. My name would be remembered for all of time. I might wait until I am sick. However, instead of passing away at a hospital I would love to die on Mars, but my dead body would bring life to a dead planet.

Why would I pay 200k for a year long trip to another planet when i could pay smorthing like 600d-1k for a flight to west Austrailia sane thing right?

Mars doesn't have the magnetosphere necessary to retain an earth-like atmosphere.

gotta recall though that Mars does not have an electromagnetic field, so any atmosphere that it had, or will have, will simply be stripped away by solar radiation

gotta figure out a way to turn the core back on, or any hope of colonization is lost

>I'm talking about Melon Husk's vision of getting the price down to the "median cost of an American house" not initial voyage costs.

And I am telling you the actual costs.

For a flyby, we are talking a 600-650 day timeline, which means for a minimal crew of 2, you need a 20ton spacecraft module and a 5ton (modified) soyuz attached to it. To get it to a Hohman orbit for a flyby of Mars you need at least 3 x20ton propulsion modules at least. So at the end you need 4 x Proton missiles, 3 x times propulsion stages, 1 modified Soyuz and a 20 ton Zarya type module, for the nice cost of about 1 billion to 1.5 billion (not including mission control costs). This is the lowest cost Mars mission right now and it doesn't even include orbital insertion.

Maybe the kinetic punch of the asteroid would be enough to re-liquefy the the core?

>Would you pay $200,000 for a trip to death?
It's a hard question since on the one hand I will go down in history, but on the other, wikipedia description might be bot very complimentary and having Darwin Award won't help wither..

kek
t. West Australian

Not if India gets there first and shits all over it.

no, I'd rather wait for the aging cure

lol no

fuck that shit hole

>Would you pay $200,000 for a trip to Mars?

No, I need that money to protect myself from racist minorities

Oh, if only it helped me escape CALIFORNIA: THE BIRTHPLACE OF RAHOWA

You are tuning into /COMMIEFORNIA GENERAL/, good evening, everyone?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Sacramento_riot

change.org/p/berkeley-unified-school-district-fire-yvette-felarca

archive.fo/zLOGY

>$200,000 to be irradiated.
sounds expensive. Trip to Japan is much cheaper.

Only if I can stay there.

No active core and no active electromagnetic radiation to protect from 100 percent UV rays.

Sounds like a bad idea if you ask me.

>Insertion

Insert my dick in your butthole

So, is Mars One still a scam?
Or have they shown anything credible by now?

The fact that this shit is allowed to continue makes me feel physically ill.
What kind of psychotic headcase would play with the fucking fate of humanity in order to gain a few more bucks?

every fucking government of human civilization in history is a scam to make some bucks.

hans

I am not gay and it is called orbital insertion, faggot.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbit_insertion

that's not true, but I'd love to hear you explain why you think this

But would you spend it on terraformation of mars?

Niggers, we don't need to get there in a hundred years.
We need to get there NOW, because every minute spent not going there is spent gambling that nothing murders us all. From asteroids, over yellowstone, to American nukes, we are in ever present danger as long as we put our species into one basket.

We should fucking start colonizing Moon and Mars right fucking now.
Every lesson learned during colonization is another lesson learned from pushing our engineering beyond its boundaries.
It's like war, but against nature. And it will cause a similar amount of technological progress, even if the colonies turn out to be unsustainable.

You will spend at least two years there, due to current limitations on space vehicles.
We do not know what more than one year in low gravity will do to your body.

>From asteroids, over yellowstone, to American nukes
Asteroids are a one a million chance and yellowstone won't erupt for millions of years.

>american nukes
What will really kill us is being slowly eaten alive by shitskins. That is the sole reason to go to Mars in my mind. Whites can finally escape.

Only if they give me the necessary equipment to stay there

My point was that we are living in the valley of cataclysmic omnicide.
It doesn't matter what ends up killing us. The only thing that is for sure is that one thing will kill us and that we cannot know if it will be now or in a million years.
To not expand away from the planet would be fucking retarded.

Is it one way?

get money from the bank and go on a one way trip then die there

>a place with no degeneracy
Though it is a tempting offer, I would not do it.

Why? I can stare at red dirt on Earth.

>paying to gulag yourself on an irradiated hellscape

Even terraformed Mars would still have microgravity.

Between NASA, EarthX, Japan, Russia, etc, why doesn't one group focus on Mars and another group focuses on the Moon?

In a long-term siftuation, Martian colonization is exponentially closer the sooner we get there, while steady extraterrestrial expansion would benefit from a Lunar base as a potential shipyard, emergency response unit, acclimation center, etc.

It seems like whenever the actual scientists start debating the subject it's an "either one or the other" scenario.

I agree, but what's important is preserving those intelligent enough to dream up these ideas in the first place.

If things keep going the way they are in first world countries no one is going to live on mars, or any other celestial body.

We are being strangled in our crib.

>Between NASA, EarthX, Japan, Russia, etc, why doesn't one group focus on Mars and another group focuses on the Moon?
Well, Google is doing the Lunar XPrize, but that one is seriously lowkey.

Personally, I'm starting to feel like it's a fucking conspiracy.
Why go to Mars with no applicable skills when you can test everything on the Moon, while also having the ability to abort in a day instead of two years?

What? Why? No, fuck no.

If it's to an American colony or an unincorporated place, where my rights are respected and whatnot, sure. I'd love to homestead on Mars.

Fuck that, I wait till the second or third going to mars and make a space cowboys colonies that fuck with the cargo ships and steal resources.

>Yes goy, pay us $200,000 and we'll shoot you into space in a one-way rocket ride so you can die there.

Terraforming mars is a meme

There is no way to terraform mars. No matter what kind of gasses you pump into it to try to warm it up, the solar wind would just blow it away. The planet has a very weak magnetic field and therefore can't protect the atmosphere from being blown away by the sun. Without an atmosphere, you can say goodbye to any kind of terraforming.

Only if it would be completed within my lifetime and a ticket was included, or at least offered at a lower price in the future.

Asteroids with a kinetic energy of 46300 megatons (the most powerful nuke ever detonated was 50 megatons) have an impact frequency of 440,000 years.

My children will be 8 feet tall Aryan Gods.

going to mars from earth would be like going to america from europe 500 years ago.

Any kind of Mars colonization would have to be done either underground or in airtight buildings.

>an impact frequency of 440,000 years.
As always with statistics:
It doesn't matter if the probability of getting stabbed is 1 in a billion. You can still get stabbed fifty times in a week.

That's why I proposed using laser ablation to push an asteroid into Mars.

Maybe the kinetic energy would be enough to re-liquefy the core, booting up its magnetosphere.

You must have missed the documentary where it's shown how to re-activate a planet's core (and magnetic field) using a nuclear weapon.

Except is a desolate rock that needs extensive terraforming or (more likely) underground cities just to live on.

At least there won't be any tree niggers this time.

Indeed, and I was actually agreeing with you.

440,000 years is fucking nothing and who's to say that data is even accurate?
Frequency could be much higher.

Plus, we really suck at detecting asteroids.
So even if we could stop one, we'd probably find out too late.

By the way, a recent talk on the topic.

youtube.com/watch?v=c7BLsmRAMaU

>My children will be 8 feet tall Aryan Gods.
So they'll be immune to the effects of microgravity? Pray they don't inherit their fathers lack of intellect.

Only if there's no niggers

You're not understanding how truly inhospitable Mars is. Even post-nuclear war Earth would still be better at supporting human life.
As far as the human race surviving is concerned it would be a lot more worthwhile to build an Ark or two to fire off at the nearest Earth-like planets.

Underground, impact-hardened moon base with supplementary polycarbonate domes to support greenhouses, and a lead-lined vault to house seeds and storage media for all the world's scientific knowledge. That's a better and cheaper option if you just want to safeguard human existence for the near future.

Yes. If food and housing is included

Only if the new colony is only whites and a few asian waifus

I'll pay 2 dollars for Uranus plz

Right, between the two I'd choose Lunar as well.

What I'm saying is, with the 10+ countries and at least 5 private companies involved in space exploration, a handful who want to go to Mars could invest in the incremental colonization (like pic related) and others who want to focus on the Moon could set that up on their own money.

The heads behind various entities just keep telling everyone to stop what they're doing because it might be the "wrong" choice and we don't end up going ANYwhere.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Microgravity would make them taller since their spines would be less compressed.

Space jews

Are you talking out of your ass or do you really understand this?