Reply to "Is Lord of the Rings Redpilled?"

Couple days ago some user asked if Lord of the Rings was redpilled. Obviously yes.

Someone tried to point out that they let a woman kill the big bad Witch King of Angmar (Eowyn) and this is evidence of bluepill feminism. No, fuck off.

1. Eowyn's decision to ride with the Rohirrim is not some badass GRRRRL power moment. She does it out of love for her lord, who is also her uncle. It is the kind of liege-love that Tolkien always espouses as one of the greatest virtues a person can have and taken straight from Anglo-Saxon war poems like The Battle of Maldon.

2. The prophecy doesn't refer to Eowyn. First things first. In Tolkien's world, there are four major races: Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits, and Men. There are no "humans." They are almost always referred to as the Race of Men or the Race of Man (or "the Edain"). So, Glorfindel's prophecy about the Witch King, that he shall not fall "by the hand of man," is not a reference to some lady in the future. Eowyn slaying the Witch King is a poetic coincidence. In truth, Glorfindel was probably just saying that to warn Earnur (the Gondorian general to whom he was speaking) not to try to defeat the Witch King in single combat. He later tries and is never heard from again. Instead, the prophecy (if it is, indeed, a prophecy, and not just advice), refers to MERRY.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_I_of_England
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The sequence of the Witch King's death is as follows: Witch King dismounts to kick Eowyn's shit in. Meriadoc Brandybuck, HOBBIT (not a Man) of the Shire stabs the Witch King with a Blade of Westernesse specifically meant to defeat the Witch King. Eowyn then stabs the Witch King in the head.

Merry's sword broke whatever enchantment preserved the Witch King's undead life, allowing Eowyn to kill him normally. Merry is who causes the Witch King to fall.

3. Bonus: It's a reference to Macbeth. Shakespeare, you stupid cunts. Just like in Macbeth, there's the prophecy that "no man born of woman" shall kill Macbeth, and a dude whose mum had a Caesarian section ends up defeating him.

On the general topic of Lord of the Rings' redpilled status... obviously.

It's a legendary germanic-style monomyth for England with old school Christian/Catholic influences. It's all about being virtuous and resisting temptation and eventually exterminating all of the filthy foreigners invading your country and ruining the countryside.

(Well, actually, it's about the virtues of bucolic living and how it ought to be protected, with your last breath, because there's nothing shameful about a simple life.)

>1. Eowyn's decision to ride with the Rohirrim is not some badass GRRRRL power moment. She does it out of love for her lord, who is also her uncle. It is the kind of liege-love that Tolkien always espouses as one of the greatest virtues a person can have and taken straight from Anglo-Saxon war poems like The Battle of Maldon.
>2. The prophecy doesn't refer to Eowyn. First things first. In Tolkien's world, there are four major races: Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits, and Men. There are no "humans." They are almost always referred to as the Race of Men or the Race of Man (or "the Edain"). So, Glorfindel's prophecy about the Witch King, that he shall not fall "by the hand of man," is not a reference to some lady in the future. Eowyn slaying the Witch King is a poetic coincidence. In truth, Glorfindel was probably just saying that to warn Earnur (the Gondorian general to whom he was speaking) not to try to defeat the Witch King in single combat. He later tries and is never heard from again. Instead, the prophecy (if it is, indeed, a prophecy, and not just advice), refers to MERRY.
>>>
> Anonymous (ID: D1ZUAil4) 01/01/17(Sun)21:15:54 No.105294009▶
>The sequence of the Witch King's death is as follows: Witch King dismounts to kick Eowyn's shit in. Meriadoc Brandybuck, HOBBIT (not a Man) of the Shire stabs the Witch King with a Blade of Westernesse specifically meant to defeat the Witch King. Eowyn then stabs the Witch King in the head.
>Merry's sword broke whatever enchantment preserved the Witch King's undead life, allowing Eowyn to kill him normally. Merry is who causes the Witch King to fall.
>3. Bonus: It's a reference to Macbeth. Shakespeare, you stupid cunts. Just like in Macbeth, there's the prophecy that "no man born of woman" shall kill Macbeth, and a dude whose mum had a Caesarian section ends up defeating him.
Pointless

>No, fuck off.
Her reasons for doing something is not the point. The point is a woman would not have been able to do that.

I had a Joan of Arc vibe from Eowyn, not modern feminism. She's sacrificing herself for others, not making herself greater than others like that girl from the Force Awakens, which disgusts me.

Otherwise I am so glad that the LotR movies were untouched by the Jew. Let me remind you that there was not a single non-white man in that movie (I say man because there were probably black people who might have played the Uruk Hai but i'm not sure). Anyway it's an excellent story.

In what succession do I read the books?

Do I start with LOTR and the the Simillarion?

Not an argument. OP specifically told you how it was made very easy for Eowyn to slay the Witch King by Merry.

Start with The Hobbit, then the LOTR, then the Simillarion imo, that's the order of complexity. The Hobbit is my favorite fiction book.

I think you should do Hobbit, then LotR, then Simillarion if you can.

Silnarillion is really a much separate story, so it doesn't need to be first. In fact, reading the LotR books first may help out with the massive amount of geography that is invoked in the Silnarillion.

MUH JOAN OF ARC

She never actually fought in a battle.

You know what she would've been called if she had been a man?

A FUCKING COWARD

Correct, Hobbit -> LOTR -> Silmarillion, which you might not even feel like finishing.

Hobbit is 100000x better than the hobbit movies

great argument, we're talking about fiction and you say "Nuh uh she couldn't do dat!"
he explained exactly what happened, and you didn't read a single sentence you insipid little piece of shit

What specifically would a woman not have been able to do?
what specifically would have been the action that was not possible for a woman to perform?

You are a cuckold, wasting so much time writing all this

>would not have been able to do that
An extremely rich woman with tons of free time to train, who wants to train to be like her based uncle, can't stab someone?

Is the Simillarion supposed to be like really cryptic and stuff?

Everyone I ask tells me to read all the other books first, due to the complexity of Sim.

Butthurt English expat spotted.

Is it common for women to fight in the gook army? No wonder we beat the shit out of you pan faced animals

Silmarillion was Tolkiens real investment as a writer. The Hobbit and LotR were simply extensions of it. It's extremely complex and cryptic, and it is not upfront with all of its content. Get a map of the lands, you'll need it

By that logic most generals are cowards because they don't actually fight.

just fuck off shitface.

I'm not the OP, if that's what you're implying. You really don't pay attention do you?

>simplifying what she did down to simply stabbing someone in a desperate attempt to win the argument

NEXT

Don't know about the book but Tolkien was a faithful christian who researched in Nordic mythology. The guy was based.

It's like reading the Old Testament, and you won't feel any desire to keep reading unless you're already read the narratives for which it fleshed out the background story.
It's a collection of tales and fragments compiled after the author's death.

>Joan of arc
>an actual General

You'll believe anything won't you

It's not a written work so much as it is scattered notes and stuff compilled and edited by his son posthumously I think which makes it difficult.

You're both cucks

its not bad but it is NOT an easy read.

the dozens of pages of the beginning of the universe and the song they all sang lol fuckin aye

It's not common for women to fight in wars in Japan, but women do sometimes stab people.

I hope one day you'll be able to touch a vagina. I'm rootin for you bud!!

checked
>lotr didnt include Tom Bombadil wtf

SeeAsians are fucking stupid

>not equating Joan of Arc to a historical military figurehead
>thinking she wasn't important
>ignoring my point that your logic is flawed

What is actually wrong with you. Go to fucking history class again. Typical burger education. I'm ashamed.

All she did was ride a horse and stab a weakened monster.
It's not grrrrl power, retard.

Exactly, this just looks like "wtf is this guy rambling on about" unless you are already strongly interested in his cosmology due to having read the other books.

>you will never live in a pastoral landscape among a bunch of highly intelligent catholics who spend all day reading mythology and scripture, exchanging their own stories and making beautiful art

The memes have gone to your head, you fucking faggot. Just because most women are inferior in manly arts such as war, there are exceptions to the rule. There are plenty of white fuck boy rich faggots who've never done a pinch of hard work in their lives, and women who could slaughter these puny beta cucks and are more worthy to stand with the real warriors on the front. Absolutely exceptions to the rule, but not by any means anomalies. The appearance of such an instance in a literary work doesn't make it "bluepilled", you faggot.

You can still be a monk though.

Everything about Joan of arc is made up except for the fact she was a glorified cheerleader that got captured and killed

R/thedonald is waiting for you

>WAHHHHHHH
>EVERYONE I DON'T LIKE IS A KEK

>there are exceptions to the rule.

No

She stabbed a wounded man who was actually an undead monster who had just been (fatally) stabbed by a midget with a magic blade enchanted specifically to kill that man.
Basically she distracted the guy while a midget stabbed him in the back and killed him, then she stuck a sword through his face as he was dying just to drive the point home

so what specifically would she have been unable to do?

Nice argument queer

autism

Yeah but I wish they were like super Catholics who could all paint amazing romantic art and compose symphonies and write high literature and we could live in the Alps or the Welsh countryside in the middle ages.

>She stabbed a wounded man who was actually an undead monster
Why include the first part?

>WAHHH
>YOU'RE GAY TOO

they're waiting for you back at Sup Forums

Virgin

> bitch gets lucky cus nazgul fucking lands in front of her then stabs a guy already wounded

improssibruuuu
lighten up senpai don't go all militant MGTOW on us

Queer

what the fuck are you even trying to say?

Virgin

Ignore the faggot, let's discuss LotR.

> calling people virgins on a website dedicated to chinese cartoons

She was fighting a guy who hadn't had to worry about getting hit in centuries and just lost that ability. No exactly impossible she'd land a hit.

>Eowyn's decision to ride with the Rohirrim is not some badass GRRRRL power moment. She does it out of love for her lord, who is also her uncle

This is wrong. Read the bit where she has a conversation with Aragorn in Dunharrow before he takes the paths of the dead. She says her true (feminist) thoughts then.

Do not reply to this post unless you have read this passage beforehand, as in right now not years ago.

> tfw I did a paper on it

should I post?

you know Tolkien irl was "misogynist" as fuck right?

Virgin

>Le paper cartoon Indonesian water weaving image board lolololo

Yeah I do agree, I haven't been to most of Europe but I would guess it's been developed in so many places.

I think he's a brain-addled game playing faggot who thinks of everything in terms of armor points and modifiers who doesn't understand that it doesn't work that way outside of a game
somebody post that gif where the little kid pulls the gun out of the fat guy's shoulder holster and shoots him in the chest with it

Now I'm convinced you're a faggot troll. Women disguising as men to fight in war is a poetic literary theme, not some girl power "liberate the women by making them sex whores existing essentially to pleasure men" stream of shite. I refuse to believe someone could be as vapidly close minded as you, so I acknowledge you're trolling and here's your fucking (you) faglord

>was "misogynist" as fuck right?

Kek, you talk like a fucking valley girl

>is a poetic literary theme,

Wow, really??

> 17 posts

damn did Tolkien fuck your bitch or something?

I heard elves were based on Finns. What was every other race based on?

Can someone who knows LOTR explain to me what happens when the elves leave earth. So I know they leave middle earth spiritually and physically on a boat, and that somehow goes into the stars? How does that work? So are they technically going into space? Or a realm outside of middle earth that would be considered space to everyone on the ground

Yes.

well all the bad races are "counterfeits" of elves/ents/men ect, as for which Europeans they stand for I don't actually know

orcs were based on chinamen and trolls were based on niggers

Tolkien was a SJW-faggot, the very first person who came up with the idea of gender neutral royal successions (first born child regardless of gender inherits the throne).

Great argument buddy

When you have no argument, first you check for spelling mistakes, and if that doesn't work you go for the reply count

fuck off sven

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_I_of_England

>trolls were based on niggers

You haven't even read the books have you

‘Lord,’ she said, ‘if you must go, then let me ride in your following. For I am weary of skulking in the hills, and wish to face peril and battle.’
‘Your duty is with your people,’ he answered.
‘Too often have I heard of duty,’ she cried. ‘But am I not of the House of Eorl, a shieldmaiden and not a dry-nurse? I have waited on faltering feet long enough. Since they falter no longer, it seems, may I not now spend my life as I will?’
‘Few may do that with honour,’ he answered. ‘But as for you, lady: did you not accept the charge to govern the people until their lord’s return? If you had not been chosen, then some marshal or captain would have been set in the same place, and he could not ride away from his charge, were he weary of it or no.’
‘Shall I always be chosen?’ she said bitterly. ‘Shall I always be left behind when the Riders depart, to mind the house while they win renown, and find food and beds when they return?’
‘A time may come soon,’ said he, ‘when none will return. Then there will be need of valour without renown, for none shall remember the deeds that are done in the last defence of your homes. Yet the deeds will not be less valiant because they are unpraised.’
And she answered: ‘All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death.’
‘What do you fear, lady?’ he asked.
‘A cage,’ she said. ‘To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.’

As I see it,
Men are Nords, Hobbits are Welsh farmers, Dwarves are the Scottish i guess

Middle-Earth is just the middle continent.

Stop posting you faggot, get the fuck off my board

>this triggered

The thread was yesterday and I pointed that out.

You've been mad about this all damn day.

You fucking nerd.

Another moron who hasn't even read the fucking books

Why is it so difficult for most of you to accept that women can stab things? It's not that difficult, I've done it. Eowyn probably owes a great deal to the shieldmaidens of nordic myth. Sure, Tolkien mostly drew from English floklore, but as a Beowulf nut he certainly would've heard of them.

Even in real life, women are capable of stabbing things. It's not that tough, pointy end goes in and all that. If you've got any doubts still about what Tolkien was implying, just read his letters, that old bastard didn't stop writing until the moment he died. It's the reason why we know that his work wasn't anti-semitic, contrary to certain schools of thought.

its like 8 pages so

J.R.R. Tolkien created one of the most beloved fantasy series ever with his creation of the trilogy “Lord of the Rings”. Tolkien mirrors the epic struggles that take place within all of us, and stars as the titular hero not a great warrior, a powerful wizard, or a powerful dictator but a simple, well-meaning hobbit. Tolkien uses language to define the conflicts, insights into the true nature to drive the conflicts, a poignant, somber tone reminiscent of an elegy, and an almost religious faith in the goodness of The Fellowship to craft a novel that inspires the reader to take up the banner of middle earth no matter how insignificant we may seem.

>ya ya yeah she just stabbed something g g gosh guys.
>d d don't worry about the fact it was the strongest nazgûl
>a m m m mere minor detail

Language is a key part of LOTR, from Gollum’s almost baby-like talk, to the beautiful songs of the elves, language has immense power to define characters as they really are in Tolkien’s epic. Gollum for example is a complex character with two personalities, Sméagol and a manifestation of the ring. Tolkien uses the language, specifically the dialect of each personality to distinguish not only one from the other but the side of Gollum that is good from the side of Gollum consumed by the ring. “The diminution of intelligent life subverted by its own desires is reflected in the simple baby talk of Gollum to his Ring, his "Precious." And the elevation of intelligent life to supernatural being--the Elves--is similarly reflected in their language and song, their ability as Namers, their hold on the past: "Elves made all the old words" (2:85)” (Chance). The rest of the LOTR universe falls within this spectrum of language as well, from the almost illiterate orcs, to the ents, to the goblins and to the dwarves. In many ways in Tolkien’s epic, where you fall on the spectrum of language decides your allegiance to Mordor or Gondor. Likewise following the origin story of the orcs, goblins, trolls, and other creatures that were created by the Enemy in the darkness, they cannot hope to match the power and knowledge of the counterparts that they were counterfeited from. "Trolls are only counterfeits, made by the Enemy in the Great Darkness, in mockery of Ents, as Orcs were of Elves."(Tolkien p89) The way in which language aids the reader in making distinctions between good and evil is a unique and immerses the reader in the story as language itself acts as an explanation for who characters are and with whom lie their allegiances.

And why is the place where the elves are going only accessible by them? Magic barrier type shit?

gollum was a jew, shelob was also a jew,

morgoth and sauron were rabbis

tom bombadil was a toy his son had on his shelf

. This immersion brought about by exposition through nothing more than language, and the immersion brought about by it is one of the prime examples of why LOTR is not only one of the greatest epics ever made, but also explains the captivation of Tolkien’s audience as they are able to suspend their disbelief without need for clunky exposition.

In much the same way the greater enemies of Middle Earth are characterized by the language that surrounds them, for example Saruman and Shelob. Chance sees the two towers of Orthanc, and Cirith Ungol as examples of two of the vices exemplified by Sauron’s lieutenants. Through this simple use of language Tolkien makes a clear distinction between the different types of evil and emotions they evoke through the language used to describe the place in which they dwell. ”Saruman, then, and the spider Shelob (Sauron's "cat") represent two monstrous "servants" to Sauron. Their two towers project forth their differing powers. "Orthanc" (or Mount Fang, "Cunning Mind") celebrates in its iconology the intellectual perversion of Saruman. Just so, "Cirith Ungol" ("Pass of the Spider") typifies in its dramatic purpose (the capture of prey) the physical horror embodied in the greedy Shelob.” (Chance)

Dumbass leaf. Elizabeth I had no living brother (Edward VI died young) and that's why she could inherit the throne. Fucking idiot.

Tolkien uses the language surrounding the two centers of power that Saruman and Shelob inhabit to describe them as they really are; Saruman representing subversion and Shelob representing avarice. While Saruman is to be feared for his intellect and knowledge, Shelob is to be feared in a more animalistic sense because Shelob’s power lies not in subtlety but in appetite. This use of language shows the incredible depth across the spectrum of evil which is Mordor’s domain. The reader immersed in the very real fear of Mordor because of the meticulous detail in the language used to describe and define that evil. Mordor is as real and complex as The Fellowship and without this complexity the triumph over The Enemy would not be nearly as epic.

Merry was the one who actually killed it, and with a magic sword, no less.

The theme of language defining characters shows up in Rohan as well, with the insidious advisor to Théoden, Wormtongue. “In Rohan (chapter 6) the reader (like the Company) confronts the recently erected chauvinistic barrier of language: "It is the will of Théoden King that none should enter his gates, save those who know our tongue and are our friends" (2:143), the guard replies when Gandalf asks why they do not speak in the Common Tongue. (It was not always so in Rohan, we learn later [2:160].) The assumption is that Rohan's own folk will speak their own tongue and thus will pose no threat to their tribe. And yet it is Wormtongue who has imposed this literalistic and superficial barrier to ingress--Wormtongue, the traitor working close to the throne for Saruman (himself a traitor in the "House" of Sauron). In a similar literalism the hall guardians demand that the weapons of the Company be left outside the hall (2:144), an ironic gesture, given the debilitating ruin of king and country wrought not by sword but by tongue, and words, of the king's counselor who encourages him to eat and rest rather than to fight and rule” (Chance) Tolkien with this clever uses of languages sets up an epic struggle between vice and virtue, ignorance and knowledge, and invites us to examine how we define ourselves through language and to whom our allegiances would lie if we were to be transported to middle earth. Tolkien accomplishes all of this without ever breaking our immersion in his masterfully crafted tale, through this use of language.

You've never read the books

No, anyone could go, most just don't want to.

Finland is cold and if you try to go there without an invitation simo heyhe will shoot you from inside a snowdrift

No, it was literally not man's time

you stupid nigger, merry stabbed him with the magic blade to make him a normal mortal man again.

he was weakened when she stabbed him.

it's more merry's victory than hers.

you can't even read