Did Congress really NEED the Ethics Office...

Did Congress really NEED the Ethics Office? It just sounds like a way for liberals to launch partisan witch hunts against pro-corporate Republicans who accept generous campaign donations from rich donors.

Pic unrelated.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Iw9IybMbsI8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_Committee_on_Ethics
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Congressional_Ethics
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That's pretty much the jest of it. Anytime you here the word "independent" thrown out so casually in American politics, rest assured it isn't.

Is that chris chan in the picture?

wtf is Chris Chan doing there?

I agree completely. Congress should have the full ability to investigate itself of any wrongdoing, so that we can know that Congress doesn't do anything wrong.

I guess he lost it after the school wouldn't show his educational videos like this one youtube.com/watch?v=Iw9IybMbsI8 to the children.

"independent" no such thing

we already have dozens of oversight bureaucracy
if only the media wasnt bought and paid for they could do alot of these investigations themselves

I bet some kid stole his original character.

Autists are a menace to society, and we all knew Sandy Hoax wasn't a one-person job.

Cops just didn't suspect Chris-chan because they thought he was too stupid to pull something like this off. But think about it, he killed both of his parents, lit his house on fire, assaulted the employees at two different games stores, and sent terroristic threats to Sega after Sonic's arms' color was changed. He's totally capable of this.

Independent Oversight doesn't work, only the FBI works.

For example, this guy took forever to be caught.

Leland Yin Yee was former Democratic California State Senator who had been an arms dealer for years.

No oversight committee caught his actions only an undercover FBI sting operation did.

>he killed both of his parents

?

Also the death threats to president-elect Donald Trump.

He can't keep getting away with it.

He totally did. He can deny it all he likes.

but

how? first time I've heard of this I think

They are removing a tool that would surely be used by the minority (the democrats) to try to restrict the works of the majority (the republicans) outside the normal procedures of congress.

The checks and balances of the constitution are clear: each separated power already has the ability to put checks on the other two:

> Judiciary can rule actions by the legislative or executive unconstitutional
> Executive can veto measures coming from the legislative, order investigations on their behavior and appoint federal judges and supreme court judges to the judiciary
> Legislative can override rulings by the judiciary by legislating on the matter, override presidential vetos and pass legislation on his behaviour

Having an "Office of congressional ethics" is a modern invention (2008) considering that there is already an "United States House Committee on Ethics" [1], also bipartisan and tasked with the same task.

The Office of Congressional Ethics [2] was created as a kneejerk reaction against the former, think of it as those Title IX investigations on universities, a witchhunt

[1] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_Committee_on_Ethics

[2] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Congressional_Ethics

So pros and cons of this?

Probably poisoned them. Who knows. We just know he did it.

Be sure to let him know that we know what he did. Trump will have him executed for it.

Pros: No partisan witch hunts by the minority.

Cons: "We have thoroughly investigated ourselves and found ourselves innocent of any wrongdoing."

>ethics
hmmm

>claim to drain the swamp and remove corruption
>gut the ethics committee so that there's no barrier to straight up graft anymore.

It's a nothing committe that was created in 2008 and has done fuck all since

It was probably lined with democrats so the republicans too thenchance to fire a bunch of democrat loyalists and insert their own guys

It's literally nothing but it sounds bad because it looks like the republicans are removing some kind of ethics watch dog

Once again this office didn't exsist 8 years ago and has jack shit since. It's literally nothing but click bait

Because of the liberal outrage it looks like it was beurocratic libsshits sucking up bux.

Tried researching it some and seeing what kind of cases they had done.

Anytime liberals and NGO watchdogs are pissed, it's usually because one of their communist things got taken away.

Ethics is good, but who's ethics were they enforcing? They claimed to be nonpartisan much like our "media" and "polling" claimed.

Looking at the employees of the ethics group.

:-) yaaaaaaasssss.

I was thinking this, 4D chess.

The entire concept of "human resources" departments is just a way to give liberals with otherwise useless humanities degrees some power over the conservative corporate classes who actually get shit done. Liberals are basically parasites

Connecticut-fag reporting in

But there won't be any checks and balances when 1 party controls all 3 branches and both legislative houses.

Holy shit! I didn't know Barb died

Yes their will, democrats can still filibuster and sue the the relatively independent Supreme Court. You also
Still have plenty of traditional GOP andti-trump republicans

He democrats had total control (not as severe) in 2008 and they didn't manage to pull off that much

Partisan makeup

Charlie Dent, Pennsylvania, Chairman(R)
Pat Meehan, Pennsylvania(R)
Trey Gowdy, South Carolina(R)
Susan Brooks, Indiana(R)
Kenny Marchant, Texas(R)

Linda Sanchez, California, Ranking Member(D)
Mike Capuano, Massachusetts(D)
Yvette Clarke, New York(D)
Ted Deutch, Florida(D)
John B. Larson, Connecticut(D)

>>pro-corporate Republicans who accept generous campaign donations

DRAIN THE SWAMP

Okay a redundant comitte that still did fuck all for 8 years. Waste of time but I guess it wasn't partisan or they are filling it with republicans

Drain the swamp guis. Seems like a great step in that direction

They've had several lobbyists convicted. I guess you don't care about corrupt lobbyists, not like Trump ran his campaign against those types.

1. There is already a house oversight comitte on ethics

2. The occasional fall guy gets fined or a few months in jail

3. Lobbying and ethics violation more common than ever

What a fantastic comitte

So it is doing really well at preventing then?

Therefore it's good to remove oversight in what is essentially a one-party state now? Drain the Swamp pedes

Realistically it's just replacing a dem swamp with a rep swamp. Business as usual.

>be you
>get get pneumonia every year
>start sucking dick
>stop getting pneumonia

Did sucking dick stop your health issue?

Retard

Oversight that hasn't done anything for 8 years, it's redundant there is already an oversight comitte on ethics

As the republicans will be filling all sorts of shit with their guys and removing democrats it's what happens

Trump will surely have something to say about this?

False equivalence

You are going to have to do better to argue a body that exists to prevent corruption doesn't do it.

>already an ethics oversight comitte
>make a redundant one in 2008
>republicans cut the redundant one later

Omg why are they trying to commit ethics violations

Do you understand what redundant means

what do you mean? You actually thought Trump was going to remove corruption from Washington?

You actually thought he was going to be a man for the people?

I mean he talked a great show sure but when it comes down to it his appointments, his inability to put his assets into a blind trust and then promises he won't have conflicts of interest, it's all shown that it's going to be business as usual and perhaps an even more corrupt Washington than we've ever had before.

Don't get me wrong, Hillary was going to do the same thing just on the dem side.

This is just the "March of Tyranny" playing out once again.

Why did this comitte need to continue

What vital service did it provide?

Maybe because of corruption that the first body failed to address?

So why don't you want to cut both as you think they have done nothing for 8 years.

I would literally be fine with cutting 90% of the federal government

I would be happy if congress and the White House did military shit, FBI, trade negotiations and federal courts only

The states can do the rest.

The only actually solution to corruption is to remove the incentive to be corrupt

I'm not talking about the committee I'm just talking about how Trump is just changing out a dem swamp for a republican swamp and calling out on the people who actually thought he was going to end corruption. It's more than just this committee that signals that he's not going to "drain the swamp" but just change out the swampy water for his own color.

they could take half the money spent on the "ethics office" and put it into transparency measures and be 3x more effective if our journalist class would actually do their fucking jobs

I'm sure they did this for a good reason, they probably just want to serve the American people even more better than they already do.

But you would do nothing to prevent corruption in the stuff you do want?

are you counting the VA as "military shit"?

I don't think the states could afford to be doing the GI bill and VA benefits for veterans.

>high quality sagable frog post

I disagree he has put people in his cabinet that have every incentive and motivation to shrink their federal departments.

The GOP is cutting a democrat created comitte and rolling its responsibilities back into a single ethics comitte

Cool I have no problem with any of this. We will see what happens after January 20th

The gi bill is bullshit, the va is bullshit

>we can know
>we
>French
you have zero right to know what happens in the United States Government.
Zero.

donald trump is not the president yet

i had to check your flag, really.

a duplicate committee of former government-types and "consultants", started under nancy pelosi's watch and (shockingly) has been accused of going after republicans, has been forced to answer to a bipartisan group of actual elected officials.

nothing of value has been lost, and trump had nothing to do with it.

>go serve your country
>get nothing for it but the meager pay while you're actively serving
>risk life and limb for it

Cool you want to go back to a draft it sounds like, I hope you're registered.

>military service breaks you and cripples you
>you're expected to just deal with it and be unemployable and homeless till you freeze or starve to death

There's an ethics committee in the House. The Senate doesn't have one. What that "shut down" was, was a realignment of an office which reported to the Ethics Committee, to stop the witch hunts.

yes this committee shit had nothing to do with Trump that's why I'm not talking about it now that we're talking about Trump. I'm talking about his appointments and him holding onto assets that would give him conflicts of interest while serving as President. I don't trust his "word" that he won't have conflicts of interest. Every other president has put such assets and companies in blind trusts.

Tuition reimbursement, 0 down home loans? Housing steipand? Literally give they gave ou after ww2 none of that should be happening

You can maybe argue that men wounded in war should get their healthcare paid for but the va system is a giant waste of money that doesn't even provide good care

So yeah cut the va I'll compromise and say give vouchers to actual guys wounded in war and then I'll let you keep the 0 down home loans but the gi bill should also be cut.

>self investigation
sure buddy

Yeah, op, people who run for office shouldn't be held to any standard whatsoever. No one should care about anything their elected officials say or do ever! Makes perfect cents.

The second body reports directly to the first body. It was just a sub committee. And it hasn't been gutted, hell most of the same people are still there. Some of its gestapo like power has been removed.

You have to provide incentives to get an all volunteer military. People won't just sign up for $1300 a month no other benefits.

The GI bill is one of the reasons we can actually have an all volunteer service.

as far as the management of the VA goes, sure I can see it's a mess. However there does need to be a way to take care of disabled veterans, and not just medically, some can't work because of their disabilities and in some cases they can work with accomodations but private sector won't accomodate them, so they wouldn't get hired.

This. If anything, we need MORE ethics and oversight committees.

And make sure they're hired for life and cannot be fired.

Okay offer more pay instead of building a vastly more expensive set of beuorocracies and agencies

The OCE refers its findings to the ethics committee with recommendations as to what to do. It also publishes the findings publicly so if the Ethics Committee fails to do anything you will see.

One of the whole points in it was to create transparency. That is what is changing, findings no longer public. As well as powers that related to overseeing matters that related to conflict of interest and financial impropriety, I guess this is your "gestapo" because the gestapo was all about transparency and preventing conflicts of interest. Most of the same people will still be there because they are not actually getting rid of it, they are watering its powers down and renaming it.

You're not going to be able to offer enough pay for people to go out and risk their lives and limbs.

If you drop all the benefits from the military we'll be back to drafting people, and if there's no promise that at least you'll be taken care of if you get crippled, people will opt to go to jail rather than serve.

Don't know how you could criticize Hillary and defend this at the same time

Drain the swamp my ass

???

No we can double the pay and save money without all the extra overhead

And ya know what we don't need such a big military if we stop getting involved in bullshit around the world

would you be willing to sign up for $2600 a month no extra benefits except living in the barracks , willing to go to war, and risk being crippled for the rest of your life and unemployable?

For $2600 a month?

Even if they promised a 6 figure salary to every sailor, marine, soldier, and airman, without the promise that if you are crippled, you'll at least be taken care of, I'd say fuck no. Yeah, making 100k a year or more off of something you can do right out of high school is great but if you get your limbs blown off and nobody will ever hire you again, what you could save up wouldn't last very long and your medical care would be horrendously expensive, you wouldn't be able to afford it on your own.

anything the jews or liberals control is bad.