Dealing with pseudo-intellectuals or people that think they are smarter than they are

How do I deal with people that think they are smart or informed but in reality are not as smart or are mentally ill?

If you are smart enough, like me, you would not have this problem.

you dont. its impossible.
some people are lost and this is ok.

It seems impossible to find people that are actually cool, chill, open minded, smart, aware and goal oriented but not delusional. How do I find these people?

im 28 and honestly do not have the answer to that.
people are shit, lad

Tfw when too intelligent for frivilous, useless communication with people.

Whats the point? they will forget nearly 95% of everything you said within 5 minutes, and 100% within 24 hours, so communication is pointless.

The only REAL communication is within the SELF, and the WHOLE.

Excuse me, bewteen the self, and the whole.

Use the Socratic method to send them barking up wrong tree in front of their crush then sarcastically compliment their intelligence

this tbqhwy
improve your mind and these 'needing friends' feelings become more irrelevant (which is good because they are so rare)

>How do I deal with people that think they are smart or informed but in reality are not as smart or are mentally ill?

You stop using words, and use MEME's

See if they react to logic, but if they won't even bother forming arguments then just ignore them since they can't be saved. Add them to the list, move on.

Preferably leave them with a redpilled topic to research. Balfour Declaration is one of my favorites.

A faster way to look like an obnoxious smartass would be to namedrop Kant into the conversation.

You have to make them.

You're asking for a human without flaws. Just settle for either humble and smart or fun and stupid.

A good place to find a the closest match to your preferences would be in a hospital. Doctors with a few years of experience tend to be pretty chill. Med students may be a little arrogant though.

Made me kek. Has happened to me before. She made it all the way to my bedroom too. Asshole.

>cool, chill, open minded, smart, aware and goal oriented but not delusional.

All the brighter people I've met in real life that happen to be right wing are either: spiteful as fuck or resigned to defeat.

How are you judging thier intellect? Using you are own ``I am smart & informed'' system? Are you unable to show them there errors?

Most people don't have this problem.

You cut them out of your life and find like minded individuals.

This will be a hard task though and you're not guaranteed to find anybody, so just become comfortable with yourself and your own company.

Read pic related and you'll be fine

How the fuck can you have a problem with pseudo-intellectuals?

If they're pseudo-intellectuals, discuss something intellectual, and wait for them to go UH UH UH UH UH *cough* UH UH because they can't keep up. How is it hard to win debates against low IQ people?

If you're having problems debating a "pseudo-intellectual" you're probably a dipshit yourself. The only time I find dumb people hard to deal with at all is when they are better than me at making emotional appeals, and even those people can be broken down and exposed as idiots with a little elbow grease.

This.

>How do I deal with people that think they are smart or informed but in reality are not as smart or are mentally ill?

You better leave them to their stupidity.

I have an example of my own:
>Known this guy for few Years from school
>Well read, interested in all sort of topics
>No PC bullshit back then
>goes to University
>half a year later, starts to talk in strange Terms
>always acts out smart, "insults" me with Leftie BS phrases
>your ignorant, you dont know nothing
>hails communism, starts to talk about Marx and stuff
>After 2 Years University
>Complete Idiot, has lost any connection to real world, only think about people in his political mindset
>acts arrogantly, laughs about anybody
>has become a total Bitch, alway whines about how someone in 3rd world gets mistreaded by evil Facists (aka everybody who doesnt share his opinion)
>CANT FUCKING EXPLAIN WHAT COMMUNISM OR FASCISM ACTUALLY IS

Like I RELISH debating against a pseudo intellectual because they come out swinging smugly but collapse and humiliate themselves under pressure. When they use big words they don't understand, and then you point out they don't understand them, they embarass themselves. When they namedrop people whose works they've never read, and you're read them, they humiliate themselves.

Psuedo-intellectuals are hilarious and fun. Real intellectuals are what piss me off because they make me feel stupid.

If you aren't all of that yourself, then don't expect it from other people to be like that.
Everybody has some flaws.

If you don't know how to deal with them, they're smarter than you, OP

Because they're stupid, so you can't have a good discussion, but they're too invested in thinking themselves smart so they'll never admit fault. They'll throw every fallacy they know at you, deflect endlessly, and if they at last admit fault they won't remember a thing the next day.

I am like that though and the fact is I haven't found anybody else like me. It makes me sad.

I usually shut them up by asking them how to find the surface area of a sphere

I swear everybody that complains about how they can't win an argument against a pseudo-intellectual is a low IQ pesudo-intellectual themselves.

Pseudo-intellectuals make me almost cream my pants because I get a sadistic ego rush out of exposing them as idiots.

Then tounge lash them the next day until they fucking stop lmao. If they're using fallacies you should laugh hysterically as you rip them apart for using fallacious logic.

I know how to deal with them I guess I just wish they had an open mind to listen to logical and rational ideas

hit them

Canadian intellectual, that's a oxymoron

If you're asking this question, you've already lost.

>not realizing that "they" too are a part of the whole and the self is just the illusion of the gravity of your unique positioning to being.

Stay a pleb, user.

Spend 2-3 hours on reddit everyday.

an*, fucking stupid ameriburger.

In college when I encountered people like that at parties I would usually push shots on them and drink them under the table. My liver's seen a few too many battles to keep that up though.

And that proves my point, thanks leaf

You guys realise being a pseudo-intellectual is a bad thing that makes you shit at arguing?

That using fallacious logic against you doesn't work when you can expose their own fallicious logic? Or use their own fallacious logic against them, but in stronger ways, forcing them to admit their fallacies or admit the logic of what you were saying?

I've never felt intimidated about arguing somebody that was legitimately dumber than me. Think you're the real pseudo-intellectuals Sup Forums.

Of course the very act of getting into an argument with a pseudo-intellectual that you can't learn anything wrong is highly autistic and degenerate, but like, why does Sup Forums think it's hard to win debates against dumb people?

You use million dollar words to sound smart , that's what pseudo-intellectuals do

I feel your pain, Russiabro.

> Implying people aren't in the same situation talking to you

Sounds like this one user I know

You cannot convince them, brother.

It's too late for them. Save who you can.

Also stop hanging out with Trannys.

You are calling me Bro with THAT fucking Picture?
Everybody knows someone like this, unfourtunatly.

I've yet to ever see the views of someone that would describe OTHERS as 'pseudo intellectuals' that has also had thoughts or a position I've respected.

Its literally the dumbest of 'collectivised dismissals' I can think of. They're dumb because they think they're clever and they're not?
WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU EVEN TRYING TO SAY?!

Don't address the illogic when its not the illogic that will cause you problems,
a good, psych sounded answer is respond and address the BEHAVIOR that causes issue, because thats the only thing that both of you can have an active participation in the remedy of.

>i_was_only_pretending_to_be_retarded.jpg

>Real intellectuals are what piss me off because they make me feel stupid

Sup Forums in a nutshell

Alright, bro. Say we meet up, then what?

You are a leaf, you don't have to pretend

I generally feel really, really bad when dismantling a stupid persons delusion of intellectual superiority. It's gotten to the point where I'll self censor so to avoid upsetting stupid people.

I've had a few friends like you before and although a thrilling experience, I don't have it in me to argue with someone who is significantly dumber than myself.

You sound too intelligent to actually read yourself. Wow that is pretty damn intelligent.

PROTIP: If you want to talk about certain issues then inform yourself accurately and in detail. You will then be able to check them with ease.

But you don't want to do that, do you? You are as intellectually lackadaisical as they are and your stubborn egotism won't allow you to accept it.

Inform yourself. Be a man and value your intellect and its growth. This thread is akin to a DYEL crying on /fit/ that other guys who sort of lift a little bit make him feel Auschwitz mode. If it is annoying you so badly then correct it and do it accurately and better than they do. Simple.

If you don't want to do that then don't cry to strangers on the internet that reality won't let you feel like a badass no matter the situation.

Fuck you and your shit navel-gazing thread bro for real.

/thread

sure thing autismo

I personally am a big dummy that's pretty good with numbers. In my opinion everybody is a big dummy, but the worst dummies are the ones that think they are more intelligent then other dummies .
But what do I know, I'm a dummy

What "million dollar words" am I using?

Are "intimidated" & "fallacious" big words to you?

This is what I mean about pseudo-intellectuals, they can't go two seconds without embarassing themselves. This is like 12th grade level writing you're intimidated by.

wew lads
w e w
e
w

>How do you explain how something looks like to a person who only believes/pretends to have eye sight?

You can't

/thread

autismo isn't a word
They have a word for people like you though, it's retard

Mate, I've felt the same way to the point that I just withdraw from social situations when they start talking nonsense.

This all came from making my mom cry while calmly debating about the existance of God, I didn't realize what I was doing until it came to the tears (Also when I acknowledge my fucking autism).

I rather be seen as quiet than as an asshole.

The fact that you have to ask show your intellectual inferiority,they should be pretty obvious to you

Well that's a fine way to look at it.

Don't read. Don't try to intellectually challenge yourself and grow. Just throw out some homespun gee shucks attitude about it all and go about your bullshi- err, I mean business.

You mean humanity in a nutshell, this applies to life.

It's horrible. I've had to completely alter my behaviour around some family members and friends. I used to be so hardcore about my intelligence too... Now I just feel bad for everyone. the good side is that I can use this to excel at my career.

Humor me. What words in my post are difficult for you, and what words should I substitute to make my post easier to understand for you?

Baked Alaska

look in the mirror

The only thing that truly exist beyond a shadow of a doubt is the SELF, The whole is the illusion, So one can infer that the only thing that matters is the information you obtain from the whole, for yourself.

>Tfw when too intelligent for frivilous, useless communication with people.
>He said on the Cantonese clarinet forum

For a long time I have struggled with the fact that one group of people I've known has always attributed the "smart" moniker on me, and that the other, I've held as peers, or my superiors. To pretend that there isn't a general level of intelligence that exists is a bit silly, but in the end, the real difference here isn't being smarter than others, it's knowing how the fuck to treat others regardless of their intellect. I think a lot of "smart" people just need to be able to get out of their head, and genuinely self criticize, not just in regards to intellectual pursuits, but also empathic ones, learn how to treat your fellow man with respect. As to being on the other side, I can't imagine how annoying my hubris must be at times, so I would just say to avoid that type of person, if you can manage to bust their bubble that they're being an utter dick, then go ahead, if they really are intelligent, they'll learn from that mistake, might take a few tries, though.

Smart or stupid, no one likes being proven wrong.

You tell that maple nigger who's the boss.

That has nothing to do with intellectually challenging yourself, that's trying to put words into my mouth.It's about how people try to 'act' intelligent to make themselves feel superior. Debating opposing views is how people learn, and grow, but thinking someone is less because the opposing view doesn't match their own is idiotic.

I seriously wonder how people ITT would react if they went to school

>inb4 lol school

and had to read dense fucking writing with like 50 word sentences with 15 letter long words where you looked at a page and just went "What the fuck?!" The technical books I read make my fucking brain explode and make me feel like a complete idiot that wants to hang myself because I just don't understand it.

Meanwhile Sup Forums is intimidated by 12th grade level writing and wants me to dumb down my writing but they the REAL INTELLECTUALS! Grr why can't they win debates against "pseudo-intellectuals"?

I've always preferred reading to watching, or listening to something as a way to get information.

>Debating opposing views is how people learn

Mate, reading is how people learn.

The very fact that you have command over the language that you are using to tell me this is proof that reading it integral. This is necessarily the case. You can't egoistically sidestep this.

If you want to be knowledgeable on a wide array of topics (or certain subjective ones that you are interested in specifically) then you need to read and read extensively.

There are no shortcuts. I know this is the impulse age and people are fickle want to just acquire what they want immediately without any hassle but if you want to be truly knowledgeable - as with all pursuits in life - you need to put serious work in.

There are no bloody shortcuts, ya dingus.

>but in the end, the real difference here isn't being smarter than others, it's knowing how the fuck to treat others regardless of their intellect.

This is also important. If you want to be smart just so you can better shit on people then you should be addressing certain character defects that you have first and foremost.

Most people who think like this don't actually want to debate -- they just want to argue and impose themselves upon others.

don't listen to this idiot
stupid people get away with looking smart all the time
it's called bullshitting and Americans are champs at this
the key is confidence and being good at projecting it
you can see people all the time acting like they're an expert at any given subject and have no idea wtf they're talking about but just assume that no one can call them out on their shit and so they can keep pretending that they do

someone can have a much higher IQ than an opponent in an argument, be right and still loose the argument because they second guessed themself and the confident idiot used tone of voice to convince the smarter person and the audience that they were right

a lot of stupid people end up being called smart and a lot of smart people end up being called stupid and it's because of confidence and people associating confidence with intelligence and correctness

Like, let me give an insight I learned from chess, which I stopped playing but used to be into.

When I was first learning chess I was really really pissed about players that used traps. Moves that are technically incorrect, but would occasionally trick players into making a mistake, giving them a large advnatage. Weak players would frequently try to trap stronger players to even the playing field.

I used to be angry being like "I can't believe I just lost a game against somebody that is shit at chess and just plays the same trap repeatedly and stupidly!" But you know what, I realized every grandmaster could see a chess trap 100 times and not fall for it 100 times. If you can't beat a cheap trick, you're probably stupid yourself.

This is what I feel like when I'm debating somebody I know is dumber than me but is winning an argument. The problem isn't that the person dumber than me is winning an argument, it's that I'm dumb enough to lose an argument against a dumb person.

When you complain about losing an argument to a pseudo-intellectual, and we all have lost an argument to a pseudo-intellectual, you're more or less complaining about getting outwitted by a retard. Yes it's fustrating, but it also means that you're retarded yourself.

>women having muscles and a clit dick isn't gay but a slim smooth bussy is

/fit/ will defend this.

I disagree with that, books don't teach you nearly enough. It's why Medical Doctors have to rely on cadavers to actually learn human physiology, because book learning isn't enough.
Sure if you want to play trivia games, book learning may be helpful but in the real world practical learning is more practical

I

Guess

I

Could

Of

Spread

My

Wording

Out

To

Give

The

Apperence

That

I

Am

not

a

dumbass

you

did

but

I

Am

OK

no.

read my comment above yours.

What's the redpill on Balfour? In my mind it's just the statement of the British that the Jews get Israel eventually.

I have a degree in a hard science from the top school here in Australia and work in an intellectually demanding job analysing and consulting the executive leadership of multinational technology companies. I'm pretty smart. I just feel bad when dumb people think they're smart. I just cannot put them down, it makes me feel horrible.

stay here

>being the most triggered person on the board right now
>literally

Read more you buttnuked pseud.

Pretty sure triggered is when you resort to name calling instead of providing a valid argument based on facts

It isn't a valid argument.

.>It's why Medical Doctors have to rely on cadavers to actually learn human physiology, because book learning isn't enough.

Apparently doctors no longer read any medical texts or books as they study. Where do they learn about discoveries in their field, I wonder? Hmm... Probably just word of mouth, right? That's probably it.

You really think this was a fitting analogy? lmao.

Mate it's not my fault you're a defiant dumbass. Sort yourself out or don't. But I'm not going to placate your ignorance and idiocy like a paternalist liberal.

It's pretty uncommon for me to actually get into an argument with somebody smarter than me, but I actually enjoy it in that I feel being called out on my retardation makes me a stronger and smarter person. My ego can just only handle so much punishment at a given time. Anybody with around a genius level IQ, and I've met a handful of people like this, can just smash my face into the pavement intellectually.

You learn more from losing a debate than winning one though. Trudeau has taught me well.

>when you can expose their own fallicious logic? Or use their own fallacious logic against them, but in stronger ways, forcing them to admit their fallacies or admit the logic of what you were saying?
This. I loved doing this to the "I just discovered feminism" folks in my classes. However, it usually, in my experience, plays out in a few ways rarely ever with them admitting logic in your argument.
1. They flat out refuse to see the connection or that what you're saying doesn't apply to what they're saying.
2. They attack you for something unrelated to them defending their claim or refuting yours.
3. Shut it down. I'm done with you. You're just ignorant. Educate yourself, (pejorative). I won't even dignify that etc, etc.

>getting into an argument with a pseudo-intellectual that you can't learn anything wrong is highly autistic
I find fun in exercising my ability to think quickly in an argument, then again you may be on to something about the autism. Although there is greater value in testing yourself against your betters, there is nothing degenerate in teaching someone something, which teaching itself can help you learn about yourself.

>why does Sup Forums think it's hard to win debates against dumb people?
It is hard to claim victory against one so blind they cannot see defeat. When someone is so far gone they will deny logic and evidence, it is frustrating to best mental gymnastics with a grounded argument. Pic related.
I kind of enjoy the frustration, part of what makes this place fun.

>because book learning isn't enough.

> book learning isn't enough.

>isn't enough.

What part of that did you not understand, because? book? learning? isn't? enough?

I didn't say or even imply MD's don't learn from books, I did state the fact that book learning alone wasn't enough

> defiant dumbass

Calling me names because you couldn't understand the meaning of a few words isn't helping your cause there buddy

I 100% agree with you. Even if your opponent isn't as clever, they may be a subject matter expert and that's nothing to scoff at. The problem is that I'm aware not everyone has this personality trait. It's really quite rare. And when you're as ambitious as I am, I can't afford to upset the wrong people based on the hunch that they're objective and cool

*Their

Good advice, I did this and I'm so much better off not having those people around me I wonder why I did at all.

>It isn't a valid argument.
also it wasn't an argument, it was a fact I stated.

Hell, Doctors have to be apart of a residency program and learn on the job for years before they got there License. Because of the fact practical learning is crucial to any field of study.
It's why they have internships, and apprenticeships.

You have to be trolling me, you can't be this stupid

When you only learn from books all you learn is bias imo.
I agree with your stance here.

Books and discussion on those books is the best desu. I love love love reading but it's difficult to truly understand any topic without some kind of conversation.

>What part of that did you not understand, because? book? learning? isn't? enough?

It wasn't a valid analogy because it was taking up an entirely new position: one that disregarded your entirely previous one.

So which is it now? You don't need to read at all or book leaning isn't enough? Because if we're on this new tangent I would agree that book learning isn't enough. But you know what we're left with in that newer analogy? A nice helping of book learning in the mix.

So which is it? Is it your previous position that you don't want to do any of that tharrr "book lernin", or have you taken up this new consideration that book learning is in fact needed in some part?

Getting into an argument with somebody that will say they won no matter what, with nobody else witnessing said argument to influence, is in itself kind of derpy though.

Like what you were saying, teaching people things can have value, but if you're not doing that when you're arguing down because the people you're arguing against are like the people ITT and cry "He-he must have been a pseudointellectual" when they get outsmarted it's kind of useless. That's what I mean by saying it's autistic to argue with people dumber than yourself, you're not learning anything, and they're too stubborn to learn anything, but you're shooting your social life in the foot at the same time, thus why I say autism. Which is why we have Sup Forums, to have an outlet for that desire to argue, without exposing your power level.

Arguing, and also just explaining stuff less confrontationally to people dumber than you but are willing to learn is not degenerate or autistic though.

Stop trying to put your dick in them... we all know what you mean by (((open minded)))