Christ, that is retarded

Here's the link incase you think this is fake
nytimes.com/interactive/2013/09/02/science/the-high-school-challenge.html

>(((Zev Aber)))
>(((New York)))

what is the problem here?

>t. Muhammad Ahmed

I took the test and got 5 points.
The Avatar question is fucked up because they all look the same in the movie.

It's a trick question. A fucking dumb trick at that.

That's completely correct though, OP. Let's say you're running a 100m dash. For the first 50m, you run at 5 m/s. What speed must you run the last 50m to run the race at 10 m/s? Well, at 50m, you have already used up 10 seconds, so you must finish immediately in order to finish the 100m in 10 seconds (it took 10 seconds to get to 50m). Although running at 15 m/s for 10 seconds would bring your average speed to 10 m/s, at that point you have already finished the race.

Wait. Why does the distance of the lap have anything to do with it? Why does it matter if the first lap is 1 mile or 20 miles or 2000 miles? The horse is running at 20 mph. It needs to average 60 mph on the second lap to average 40 mph for the whole race. Right? I mean...right?

Am I a retarded American?

God damn it.

>Lithuanian education

>american liberal education

>Horses can run infinitely fast
Nice math problem there

No it would have to equal 60mph for an equal amount of time to the time spent at 20mph, which would be three laps of distance.

No, because for the average of 20mph and 60mph to be 40mph, you need to have traveled an equal time not an equal distance.

>this is what americans truly believe

dat lithuanian troll

Did you fail physics or something?

The distance matters because it's the way the question is defined. Basically, most people would look at the question and assume it's talking about a horse running for the same amount of time, but they defined it by distance instead. That means that if your horse runs faster, you reduce the amount of time it needs to close the distance. Since it's running for less time, the average speed is adjusted by a smaller amount than if it ran for the same amount of time.

If you ran 50 meters at 5 m/s and 50 meters at 15 m/s your average would be 10 m/s.
It's that simple.

I don't know what the fuck kind of math you're doing to pretend time stops existing after 50 meters.

Averaging the mph like that only works for time, not distance.

If he went an hour at 20 mph and an hour at 60 mph he'd average 40 mph. But if he went 20 miles at 20 mph and 20 miles at 60 mph he'd average 30 mph.

>communists are insects

It is correct, average speed is Δx/Δt, if the track were actually 20 miles one track at 20mph and the other at 60mph you would have 40miles/1,33hs, or 30mph.

The time is irrelevant, you dunce. It's an AVERAGE.

Actually, the distance d of the lap have nothing to do with the solution.

If V1 is the speed for the first lap, V2 for the second, and t1 and t2 are the times, the problem is :
d/t1 = V1
d/t2 = V2
(2*d)/(t1 + t2) = 2*V1

It leads to V1/V2 = 0, which is independent of d.

As explained, not everything in life is linear.

no it wouldnt. You needed 10s for the first 50m and 3.333333...s for the next 50m. You needed 13.333333.....s overall, not 10s which would be the average speed of 10m/s.

Check your math, you'd be at 7.5 m/s

But if you actually do the math there you traveled 100 m in 13.3 seconds which is not 10 m/s

Damn. You are right. Unless its average speed per lap.

Time doesn't stop existing after the first 10 seconds, what the fuck are you talking about.

wait, I switched up numbers, needs to be "not 5s which would be the average speed of 10m/s",

disregard that post, I got it right on the first try. Forgot we run 100m overall...

>Americans being retarded wasn't a meme

youtube.com/watch?v=tOFJpsDmKvU

Journalists aren't known for mental capacity, only literary fluency (and only sometimes).

They're just heralds for what happens next.

>American education costs money and it's this shit

10s @ 5 m/s
3.333s @ 15 m/s

Average is 7.5 m/s, because the time you ran @ 15 m/s wasn't the same time you spent running at 5 m/s. For the average to be 10 m/s you would need to 150 m @ 15 m/s instead of just 50 meters. Dumbfuck.

Assume a lap is 20 miles. Assume the second lap was done at 60 miles per hour

Lap 1:
>1 hour spent
>20 miles per hour

Lap 2:
>20 minutes spent
>60 miles per hour

Entire race:
>1 hour, 20 minutes spent (1.33 hours)
>40 miles covered
>40 / 1.33 ~=30
>30 miles per hour for entire race
Not 4mph as required

Now if
>1 hour spent (same time spent on first lap, so infinitely fast on second)
>40 miles covered
>40mph

Picture in OP looks correct to me.

It's a neat trick. I wouldn't expect a low IQ user to get it right away.

But the point is just do total distance/total time

Just do the calculation u lazy bum. U will see that 60 mph isn't the answer.

Eight years of gay mulatto president didn't do it, but you, user, are what made me ashamed to be an american