What was life like before 9/11?

What was life like before 9/11?

Other urls found in this thread:

truegamer.net/SA_911/911 SATHREAD/
news-at-11.bandcamp.com/album/news-at-11
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

TSA didn't existed

There was still a sense of belief in a positive future. People actually believed they would have a wonderful life, career, etc.

That pretty much sums it up. We even had a fucking space ship.

The world was at least somewhat less hateful.

Shit was pretty awesome tier. Although, I might be a little biased. I was like 10 and a decent chocolate bar could make me happy.

Identity politics wasn't so wide spread.

corny, naive, comfortable, safe

It's difficult to explain but basically, the days felt longer. The sun seemed brighter. People were closer. Things were just "how they are", instead of everything an agenda being pushed (although this still went on)
Less tension. Like others have said, it somehow seemed that "everything is going to be alright", there was a place for you, a career for you, if you wanted it. This was probably false and likely all side effect of the opium for the masses conditioning anyway, but still, it felt like it.

I think "less tension" is the most accurate description though. Now here we are, hyper-connected, plugged in, turned on, the world has seemingly been discovered, there are no more unknowns, there is nothing lying outside the edge of the map, we have seen all and done all, and we have nothing left. We are dying, make no mistake.

>Be 15.
>My parents let me go to the US, on a plane, connecting flights in hub cities, by myself.

On a scale of 1 to 11 it was about a 9.

Oh fug

Have you guys ever checked out the archived Something Awful forums from September 11.

truegamer.net/SA_911/911 SATHREAD/

>less tension
I agree. I think alot of it has nothing to actually do with 911, the world is fucked up because of communication tech going full retard. 911 just happened to take place at the right time to be a huge event that fairly neatly divides the current era of total connectivity and the previous more sensible time.

Even though Internet usage was common by the late 90s, it was not particularly social for most and did not transcend into mainstream society. Cell phone usage was still pretty limited too. My 90s childhood was much more similar to my father's 60's childhood than the childhood of someone who was born in mid 90s or later.

I have and they make me cry like a bitch.

People literally thought prior to 9/11 that America was almost invincible, as in people would have never thought someone can pull off an terrorist attack like that (I remember when 9/11 did happened people refused to believe that it was a terrorist attack, and swore it was accident, boy were they wrong.) Before 9/11 the 90s culture didn't die out, that's why so many mid - late 90s babies deluded themselves to think they were 90s kids because the we didn't move on from the 90s.
>People were a lot nicer and positive
>having conversations on the train with strangers without looking like a weirdo
>you can walk down the streets and smile at a stranger and they'll smile back >making lifetime long friends was still a thing
>many of the tensions we have today wasn't a hot topic but it was inevitable that it was going to blow up

Depending on where you live, nowadays people are a lot more aloof, blunt, disconnected and just lack empathy. It's not just because of 9/11 it was a combination of shit that went down in the early 00s

Saged and reported underage faggot bitch

Can you imagine the response from 9/11 if it had happened in today's liberal society?

boring. same old shit over and over. when al qaeda detonated a bomb at the base of the towers in the 90's, NYC collectively said "is that all you got? jesus, why not do something interresting, like fly a plan into them. we are so bored here, we'd rather jump from a burning building than watch another woody allen film"

Wasn't most of SA threads back then just warez+cp until lowtax got scared and mass deleted half the site?

I did that when I was 12 a few years after 9/11

This is pretty cool. Reading it now. Funny that people were already calling that Bush would start a war in the thread.

Internet/technological accessibility, simplification, and efficiency are primarily responsible. You used to have to not be retarded to get on the internet, now it's as simple as clicking an icon.

The speed in which news travels via the internet from any location with access to it makes the world seem much smaller, resulting in a degradation of any semblance of real individualism, hence the boom in retarded identity politics. Virtually everybody has a platform to spew their opinions, regardless of how stupid, and receive validation and acceptance via likes and retweets, with the added ability to simply block out/delete thoughts and ideas that they don't agree with.

TL;DR humans weren't ready for what we got.

Like this

I flew to Venezuela by myself when I was 15 back in 2007.

The exact same

>2001 was 16 years ago
MODS

There's no way you can actually believe this, right? Is this what kids are taught in school?

The murder of bankers doesn't change history and alter the fabric of the human experience

everyone stating how great it was doesn't understand that it was nothing more than a time of an uninterrupted stream of blue pills.

late 60's to 2001 everyone was sleeping

This

The world felt so small and even sometimes hidden, I remember having a pen-pal back then when I was younger and was fucking stunned on how naive I was about the world

You mostly had to leave the house and interact with people to do things, OP, developing a social cache and as a result, even the nerds from high school eventually got laid.

>tfw I read kissless losers on here now constantly fucking whinging about women

No TSA, no pat downs, you just had to answer 2 questions about your luggage. You could bring pretty much anything into the cabin.

United States were massively respected before Iraq war, loss of respect worldwide after US joined in the global brawl is very sad.

Nonmilitarised police, security agencies did not boss people around. No Patriot act, people could express opinion more freely in public.

Generally society was on the upswing despite Clinton scandals and Columbine. This timeline blows.

It wasn't the bankers who died that day, it was a bunch of low level employees, normal people.

> I remember when 9/11 did happened people refused to believe that it was a terrorist attack, and swore it was accident

My defining memory of 911 was standing around with coworkers watching the news before the second plane hit, some people saying it was an accident, some people asking how you mess up that bad. Then the second plane flies into frame and the fireball comes up.

You could instantly see there were two types of people in that room suddenly. The people who had known that was coming, who had been waiting for the attack to continue, and the people who were completely caught off guard. The people who had understood what was happening simply sighed, and sank a bit; the others gasped or even jumped backwards.

It kept up like that. There were people who simply couldn't comprehend the tower had come down when it collapsed. They kept saying "no, just wait for the smoke to clear, just a few floors at the top fell in, it's still there." I remember when the breeze picked up and there was a patch of blue sky visible where the tower had been the entire room just went dead silent. And then the people who had been so surprised just lost it. Screaming and crying, running out the door to go home because they were sure this was the end, that nukes were gonna go off, that chemicals were gonna be dumped in the water, their whole universe imploded in front of them and they couldn't cope. It didn't help that there was tons of rumors and panic running like fire. I was in the north bay area CA and people were picking their kids up from school and just driving north into the woods because they were sure SF was a target. People running in from other offices saying they'd just gotten a call that there was a bomb on the GG bridge (there wasn't, they just closed it for a few minutes to set up increased security) or that we were going to war with russia (since jets were doing flyovers around the area). It was nuts.

>gen z will never live through the 90's

I'm so sorry

>First a bomb. Now a plane.

>That fucking building just can't get a goddamn break.

That entire thread is basically real life foreshadowing

You could go to any airport and just chill even if you didn't have a flight or weren't meeting anyone. There was no queue to walk through the metal detectors and they didn't make you take off your shoes. Metal detectors were manned by one or two rent-a-cops or airport PD if it was a big airport.

If you saw a movie that had Middle Eastern terrorists in it there was always a hot chick terrorist who didn't have to wear a hijab or burka.

was in SF during attack sleeping off a 3 day meth binge, missed 9/11 entirely. God Bless America.

I recently watched the CNN coverage of the attack and they were originally saying it was probably an accident. Then the second plane hits and they get kind of skeptical but still say it could be an issue with the guidance on the planes, they even got someone who knows about that stuff on to talk about it and he said that the pilots wouldn't have even been using the guidance during that time of day and weather.

It was pretty surreal watching it happening from 15 years in the future.

I was in elementary school when it happened and I don't even remember when I learned about what happened. I don't remember getting released from school early but maybe we were. And we didn't watch it in the class. All I remember was my mom the next day saying something bad had happened and we might talk about it at school.

That's exactly how I imagine most franciscans experienced 9/11

God I remember driving home there was a homeless dude high off his ass smiling with a big sign that said "The end is near" but near was crossed out and he'd written in huge letters "HERE!"

That was my first 911 related chuckle

The world trade center was still standing before 9/11

why do they rely on thrust from the shuttles engines? I thought they saved the shuttle engines for after separation?>

>Page 4
>FBI says, "This is NOT an Terrorist Attack."

Ha

How come britcucks can't spell "whining" correctly
what is this winging bullshit

You could freely speak your mind at all times because no one was recording (or listening). Sort of anonymity we lack today, right nigger faggots? I hate Jews! It was really great

Can't remember what page but

>Even president Bush can't be stupid enough to start a war over this

Well our government pulled it off in conjunction with Saudi Arabia, so they're technically not incorrect.

Yeah it felt very remote... dot com crash was more real than 9/11 imho.

"Whinge" is also a word, lad. And a better one than "whine".

>in third grade
>waiting outside for class to start
>did you see the news? terror attack blah blah blah
we all sat around in class and discussed our fee fees.
>why aren't you crying user?
>because nothing happened to me..?

Its gayer, for sure.

My son was in 3rd grade and I will be eternally grateful to his teacher. On the west coast the whole thing started at 5:45 and the second tower came down 7:30 so it all happened before people went to class. My wife had woken him up after the first plane hit since she had a feeling it was important and we weren't the type of parents who kept our kids in the dark (got a lot of shit from other parents for that later, but I stand by it, you can't shelter from reality like that) so by the time he got to class it was mostly just uneasy waiting for another attack and for word from family in New York, and his teacher basically sat the whole class down and went over what had happened, and how this wasn't the first time America or another country had been attacked, and how we'd made it through Pearl Harbor, and the UK had made it through the blitz, and that they were all gonna be OK but things were going to be hard for a while. And she just let the class talk about how they felt, and if they had family in New York or DC, and about the buildings (since some of the kids had gone on a trip to New York and visited the viewing center up at top a few months before). She basically just gave them a frame of reference to understand what was happening that wasn't full of panic. Other teachers ignored it, or were telling the kids that this was the beginning of endless war and we were all next, but she just kept everyone calm and gave them ways to do better. She talked over how adults would be donating blood and how some of our firemen would be heading over to help clean up. It was just above and beyond anything I expected a 3rd grade teacher to have to deal with and she did perfect.

Steering, the shuttle has to orient itself a certain way (not straight up) to help it get up into orbit, and the solid rockets can't swivel

Shuttle was the shit. Such supremacy, so wow.

>The murder of bankers doesn't change history and alter the fabric of the human experience
It was 9 am in the morning, most the people there were either minimum wage janitors, food workers, etc. or office wage cucks hoping today was the day they got the courage to ask for a 50 cents raise. The rich guys usually spend their mornings trying to meet up with old or new connections

>on a selfish aside, i was going to get u2 tickets this week, and from what i've read, Bono was in the WTC today discussing Aids relief for Africa

Better than now. Muslims essentially didn't exist. Just a bunch of nutjobs out in the desert nobody cared about

Francis Fukuyama seemed like he was right.

The end of history was near.

Just read that stupid book and you will understand how people felt back then.

The media talked about Columbine for years after it happened, it was thought to be a singular event like the OJ trial.

Internet was segregated into AOL sheeple and hackers paradise. You did have to have a real business to register a .com domain and fax your shit to InterNic.

Oh god 9/11 internet

I'd almost blocked those memories away forever

I don't know what's creepier. Peoples reaction in forum or the the fact that these archives are now considered important for historic purposes. Well people look back at Sup Forums 15 or 100 years from now and see what was happening during the Trump election? What would history look like if the internet existed during WW1 or the Roman Empire? The future and our records will forever be recorded for centuries after we're all dead. Will the future understand our story?

It's creepy and fascinating at the same time.

Really it was pretty much the same as it is now. There were plenty of terror attacks before 9/11, including ones just as spectacular. The US and the rest of the world in the 70s was very turbulent, people really thought everything had gone to hell. "Days of Rage" is a good book on that if you're interested.

9/11 put a cap on the whole "end of history" Washington Consensus triumphalist stuff, but that only lasted about 12 years anyway.

>Taliban statement: 'Afghanistan feels your pain'
Wat

Eh, pretty much the same. Jobs being sold out and globalism destroying sovereignty. People were more happy because they had less information and believed the mainstream media.

Now you guys have been reduced into an elaborate military and arms dispensing and oil acquisitions company

Funny. I was playing Risk when we heard Saddam invaded Kuwait and was also playing Risk during 9/11.

They were trying to not get bombed to shit

(It didn't work)

news-at-11.bandcamp.com/album/news-at-11

This thought occurs to me too during big stuff. Funny enough, I think people a lot like us at some point in the future will find some interest in digging through what's been recorded of our time here on this site.

Of course, it'll be glamorized (the shit threads don't get preserved), but in the end someone will find value in our thoughts and feelings and our words will become primary source material.

How's that feel?

Life before 9/11 was a heft-boob Jew chick.

The main difference is social media. Internet usage was widespread but sites like Youtube, Facebook and Twitter were 5-7 years away, so the mainstream media still controlled the narrative. However the reporting by the mainstream media was more balanced and less hysterical. After 9/11 the whole world knew the US would have to retaliate against the perpetrators, but where things went downhill was the US invasion and occupation of Iraq, that's when the "soft power" of the US declined. Another huge difference is the advent of the smartphone, I am now connected to the internet all the time not just when I'm within arms reach of a desktop computer or laptop. Was life prior to 9/11 simpler??? Maybe, but as someone has pointed out earlier, we are only waking up now to the lies that the Globalist's have been propagating for the past 40 years, this timeline is the best.

Arabs were our friends and the Chinese were our enemy.

I was 26 and on vacation in Hawaii for a friend's wedding. My life was pretty great up to that point, good job, beautiful girlfriend, basically just a chill life in So-Cal.
We had been there two days when it happened, I remember clearly sitting on the balcony of the condo, eating breakfast and staring out at the ocean, thinking how beautiful and peaceful the world was at that moment. My girlfriend at the time took a pic of me not 30 seconds before my friend's sister walked up and told us the news. Because of the time difference, it had all happened already when we were still sleeping, the towers were down already at that point. We spent the next few hours watching the replay over and over of the planes hitting, the towers falling, people jumping to their deaths. They quit showing the people jumping after the first few days, that shit was horrific to watch.
Flying back 5 days later was interesting, everyone was nervous as fuck, almost no conversation at all on the plane, and when we landed back in San Diego, everyone cheered. Only time that's ever happened to me.
In the months afterwards it was basically just a shitload of fear and anxiety. Everything changed, I almost never felt relaxed, and I started to have random panic attacks. The anthrax shit was happening and we were revving up for war, basically just a really tense and dark time.

Fuck's sake... In Australia you miss everything cool because it all happens when we're asleep. I remember waking up and getting the whole story. Would have been nuts to see it all happen.
In every disaster movie you see just imagine that while it's all happening, Aussies are all asleep, blissfully unaware.

this

Muslims basically didn't exist except for movies when they were mocked for going ALAALALALALALLALALA while you attacked people with a curved sword.

Everyday since 9/11 we have all been watching them. They got what they wanted.

after 911 they fenced off public land, renamed it federal property, and sent an old guy in a white truck to shoo me out of my childhood fishing hole.

they started throwing hissy fits when someone photographs federal buildings

couldnt hangout at the city water reservior anymore without another deuch showing up to shoo me

everyone in highschool went off to military

the library narked to the fbi about your rentals

everything became regulated amd off limits without purmissions

being muslim just straight sucked unless you loved to argue

mind the words of sonmi

our lives are not our own. through every act we birth our future. the systems that built the human cannabilism food market must be torn down. everyone is pure blood. (theres more =P)

right on dude
thanks for sharing