Vatican: Catholics now recognize Martin Luther as a ‘witness to the gospel’

> In 2017, it says, “Lutheran and Catholic Christians will for the first time commemorate together the beginning of the Reformation.” The text also states that “Catholics are now able to hear Luther’s challenge for the Church of today, recognizing him as a ‘witness to the gospel.

> The announcement follows on the heels of Pope Francis’ controversial trip to Lund, Sweden, where he joined in the launch of the 500th year anniversary of the most devastating split in Christianity in its history. The Lutheran Church of Sweden to which Pope Francis went for the celebration accepts contraception, abortion, homosexuality, and female clergy, all of which are strictly and unalterably forbidden in the Catholic Church.

lifesitenews.com/news/vatican-catholics-now-recognize-martin-luther-as-a-witness-to-the-gospel

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VTYkvsQd18M
earlychristianwritings.com/text/martyrdompolycarp-hoole.html
archive.org/stream/epitaphscatacom00nortgoog#page/n89/mode/2up
archive.org/stream/epitaphscatacom00nortgoog#page/n97/mode/2up
archive.org/stream/epitaphscatacom00nortgoog#page/n99/mode/2up
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not in my fucking Parish we won't. I fucking hate Pope Ramon. I would rather be excommunicated than put up with that kind of Protestant bullshit degeneracy.

This is ridiculous

Thats what you get for calling us niggers

remember when we all thought pope pablo was secretly a "boy from brazil" and he turned out to be a cuck leftist puppet hated by all true catholics?
>tfw the orthodox church saves christendom
>tfw idolatrous papists and SWEDENYES lesser branch christians unite with globalists to bring about the end times
>tfw martin luther was right, but lutheranism is an abomination he would violently purge.

That's the last straw

I'm a Presbytarian now

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

Luther was full-on 14/88 gas the kikes, race war now. Unfortunately all Lutherans seemed to have forgotten that. It's pretty pathetic though to see the pope doing this type of shit agian like he wants to become the official religious leader of the EU or something by embracing all of the EU's cucked liberal agendas.

well that's because they didn't have the divine authority to stop it from happening. I'm sure plenty of lutherans were tearing their hair out as their church got worse and worse.

and one could argue that luther witnessed to the faith, the reformation would have never happened if the clergy wasn't so corrupt.

but if vatican catholics start accepting contraception, abortion, homosexuality, and female clergy I'm just going to fucking kill myself because then I'll know hell doesn't even exist.

Liberal Christianity is the dumbest shit ever.
Some people consider it a survival strategy to adopt to a changing world, but liberal denominations are the quickest to witness a plummet in membership.
Turns out when you permit parishioners to come up with their own dogma, they often wind up writing your institution out of the picture together.

People are looking for a rock that stands firm against the tides of modernity. That's the whole appeal of religion in the first place. What's the fastest growing faith today? Islam: a creed that demands discipline and rejects all this faggot shit. It's not difficult to see why.

y not Tradtionalist?

y not Orthodox?

Satan always has to compromise and attempt to co-opt the truth to maintain credibility and power.

>PROTESTANTS ?

Fuck this liberal jewry.

Martin Luther wouldn't be a "Lutheran" if he was alive.

Pope Francis was a mistake

From what I've heard America still has plenty of traditional churches and they are overtaking the liberal churches in terms of popularity.

Ye pretty much, it's kind of like the US election, the whole media establishment is agianst Trump yet Trump wins. From this you can obviously see that the liberal media is not at all trusted or followed by the majority of people yet dumbass clergy still think it's a winning strategy to think whatever the cucked media tells them to think which is fucking retarded considering the Church are conservative institutions almost by default.

The further he pushes the conservatives in Vatican the bigger the backlash will be.

>yet another "The pope or pontifical council clarifies long held belief/makes an offhand statement that is in no way dogma/issues a misenterpretable statement, and anti-catholic shills lose their minds over it" thread

Do you fucking people have anything better to do?

What's the best branch of Christianity to convert too lads
Or do we hold out hope for a based pope

Boy I'm trying to stay Catholic but this pope is making it really fucking hard.

It's not just this, we see it everywhere. The (((Jesuits))) are destroying the Church everyday.

we call him the Red Priest here
cultural marxist infiltrate

Don't be fags and listen to There is hope.

What next? Is he going to say Mormons are officially Christians, too?

>Or do we hold out hope for a based pope
Do it like most sane people and realize that based Benedikt is the real pope. Protestants aren't real christians anyway and the orthodox church outside their home countries only cares about the local diaspora.

There is actually a lot of leeway within the Catholic church to practice traditionally. You just have to do your own research and see if you can find a good parish/priest. They are out there.

My own priest told me the people who changed the liturgy are going to Hell. He added the prayer of St., Michael at the end of Mass because he knows Satan is growing stronger, and every Mass used to do this, but not anymore.

So, they are out there.

I sure hope this isn't a meme and it will actually happen.

How are protestants degenerate when Catholics are the ones who worship false idols.

How do you put the word of a man over the written word of God.

Look at what he's been saying lately. He clearly does not speak for God.

Christians have been fighting each other forever and doing weird iconoclastic shit together forever. Who cares?

You do know the Orthodox Church is also on board, right?

I'm afraid I can't offer more than anecdotal evidence about it: one of my cousins is a rural priest, he's pretty pro-Francis (or at least that's his public and private stance as far as I'm aware of) and he told me himself he and the rest of his colleagues are a bit scared of what "the crypto-fascists in the Vatican" could do and how the kids going into seminary these days were scary radicals.

>(((Jesuits)))
>destroying church
you mean slowing the downfall by appealling to third worlders and liberals in a non-colonialist manner?

The bible hasnt changed, pope frank hasnt reallly changed anything to the point where degenracy is encouraged at all.

What false idols?

Nobody worships the pope and nobody speaks for God.
Where do you people get that?

>you mean slowing the downfall by appealling to third worlders and liberals in a non-colonialist manner

exhibit A

I hope it is a meme because then it is garunteed to happen.

>Litierally worship the virgin Mary
>pray to saints

>what false idols?

>jesuits are out to get me

It's fucking nothing, and you people are blowing this way out of proportion as usual.

But I'm glad you took the time away from fapping to traps and watching anime to let us know how you feel about our church.

What are you going to do about it? Convert from a cultural catholic to a cultural eastern orthodox? Or a cultural anglican? Or a cultural muslim?

>another protestant pretending to misunderstand intercession

wew
the memes are out full force today, lads

Whore of Babylon and the false prophet.

>What's the fastest growing faith today? Islam: a creed that demands discipline and rejects all this faggot shit. It's not difficult to see why.

or it could be the convert or die thing and if you're born into it you can't leave or you die i dunno dude your argument has chops too!

Islam's just growing fast because its adherents have shit tons of kids and are retarded so they can't see through anything and believe in all of that stupid horseshit.
Extremely traditional/conservative Christianity has a limited appeal in modern Westernized countries and its appeal will only shrink as time goes on and information proliferates via the internet.

This x 10,000.

Have you guys forgotten that Luther only wrote that shit because the Church of his time was absolutely fucking rotten? If anything, Francis is acknowledging that, in a time of corruption, Luther was the only person willing to stand up for the purity and honesty which all Christians should expect from themselves.

Catholic fags what the fuck happened to the traditional prayers?

I went to a funeral recently and I forget which but something had changed, either it was our father or hail mary or something

Added a bunch of bullshit and changed out some other bullshit

What the fuck was that about?

I wonder what would he think about this?
>The Lutheran Church of Sweden to which Pope Francis went for the celebration accepts contraception, abortion, homosexuality, and female clergy
>accepts contraception, abortion, homosexuality, and female clergy

Now waiting for Francis to endorse Luther's views on Jews and make On the Jews and Their Lies official Papal Literature

?
Christianity is not some fringe cult. It is, and always has been, a mainstream driver of culture. This status is being subverted over the last 30 years and it is more important to keep it relevant (without dilution of message) among growing demographics (hispanics, young whites) than it is to preserve every single tradition/motif of the religion.

Okay be honest, Martin Luther was not fucking anything like that, he would have been a hardline traditionallist and would find the modern state of society and churches to be unimaginably degenerate beyond redemption. If you think that he would run a church or want to allow anything like that you're insane.

Isn't even relatively liberal christianity 10x more desirable than degenerate liberal pop culture or islam?

>Christianity drives culture
>Christianity must change as degenerate culture changes.

Luther would still have spit on this cuck. He wanted absolutely nothing to do with the corrupt Catholic church, and for good reason.

I'd imagine your answer to that question would depend on which of those you grew up with.

How liberal are we talking?? I've lived in the US 20 years and have never seen a church that deviates from the basic teachings of Christ/the bible

Look up Muscular Christianity, it's experiencing a revival in the US.

cathcucks btfo lmao

loving every laff

>2017
>believing in superstitions
I seriously hope you guys don't do this

you need to do more research. google Hesse. Vatican II was not just "keeping it relevant," it is a different church.

youtube.com/watch?v=VTYkvsQd18M

Nah, magisterium cannot be changed. There's a good chance a removal will be occurring this year.

>How do you put the word of a man over the written word of God.
I will never understand how protestant can both say catholic praise the word of man over god while still using the Catholic bible with a bunch of books removed because they explicitly show how bs their positions are.

THIS MAN IS THE ANTICHRIST

Removal of what?

>protestans r cucks
>pope publicly denounces catholicism

HOLY SHIT POL BTFO

Why do Protestants and luther all contradict the early fathers?

Of the heretic, of course.

A good move. In the upcoming Holy Wars, Christians must stand united against the Muslim hordes.

Except luther contradict the early Christians you dolt

Why not? Since the Vatican is trying to shove Chrislam down our throats, everything goes. So progressive!

>luther contradict the early Christians
U mean not jesus nor apostols

I honestly despise all the 'singing' of prayers and glorias...growing up, all prayers were spoken/recited, not this bullshit sing-songy choir nonsense.

He also contradict them. None of them teach sola Fide

Stay mad loser

And protestantism is the biggest nonsense

I never said he was like the early Christians.

bro, you might be waiting quite awhile, imao

You cannot because he contradict them

We wait.
Anyway, don't let that shitlord represent your beliefs. You're supposed to believe in the Bible, not in what some Argentinian fag in a robe says.

Even the Cuck Pope realises Luther was based

Nigga, we have had much worse in term of popes. Like, so much worse. All the errors then and now will be corrected. Join a traditionalist group and do all you can to get people to honestly and truthfully join. There's a reason why liberal churches are dying while traditionalist are growing.

The fathers of the church spoke as they did because they regarded themselves as interpreters of the Scriptures. Therefore they are not to be made a substitute for the Scriptures; nor can the Scriptures be understood apart from the authoritative interpretation which tradition places upon them...if tradition is primitive, Protestant theology must admit that ‘Scripture alone’ requires redefinition. (Jaroslav Pelikan, Obedient Rebels, Harper & Row: New York, N. Y., 1964, p. 180 – bold emphasis mine.)

What does this mean?

Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. (James 1:12)

Listen, my beloved brethren: did not God choose the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him? (James 2:5)

Sola Fide btfo, effort to persevere required

He certainly was right about the Jews.

The first clear attitude to emerge on the relation between Scripture, tradition and the church was the coincidence view: that the teaching of the church, Scripture and tradition coincide. Apostolic tradition is authoritative but does not differ in content from the Scriptures. The teaching of the church is likewise authoritative but is only the proclamation of the apostolic message found in Scripture and tradition. The classical embodiment of the coincidence view is found in the writings of Irenaeus and Tertullian.

These both reject the Gnostic claims to a secret tradition supplementing Scripture. Apostolic tradition does not add to Scripture but is evidence of how it is correctly to be interpreted. This tradition is found in those churches which were founded by the apostles, who taught men whose successors teach today. These apostolic churches agree as to the content of the Christian message, in marked contrast to the variations among the heretics. It is important to note that it is the church which is the custodian of Scripture and tradition and which has the authentic apostolic message. There was no question of appealing to Scripture or tradition against the church. This is partly because the apostolic tradition was found in the church but not just for this reason: the Holy Spirit preserves the church from error and leads her into the truth. The real concern of Irenaeus and Tertullian was not with the relation between Scripture and tradition but with the identity of ecclesiastical with apostolic teaching. Any exposition of their teaching on Scripture and tradition which fails to show this is to that extent defective. (A.N.S. Lane, “Scripture, Tradition and Church: An Historical Survey”, Vox Evangelica, Volume IX – 1975, pp. 39, 40 – bold emphasis mine.)

What did he mean by this?

CHAPTER 17

17:1 But the evil one, who is the opponent and envier, who is the enemy to the race of men, beholding both the greatness of his testimony and his conversation blameless from the beginning, how he was crowned with a crown of immortality, and how he carried off a prize that could not be spoken against, contrived that not even a relic of him should be taken by us, though many desired to do this, and to communicate with his holy flesh.

17:2 He suborned, therefore, Nicetes, the father of Herodes, and the brother of Alce, to make interest with the governor so as not to give his body to the tomb, Lest, said he, they abandon the crucified and begin to worship this man. And these things they said at the suggestion and instance of the Jews, who also kept watch when we were about to take the body from the fire, not knowing that we shall never be able to abandon Christ, who suffered for the salvation of the whole world of those who are saved, the blameless on behalf of sinners, nor to worship any one else.

17:3 Him we adore as the Son of God; but the martyrs, as the disciples and imitators of the Lord, we love according to their deserts, on account of their incomparable love for their King and Teacher, with whom may it be our lot to be partners and fellow-disciples.

earlychristianwritings.com/text/martyrdompolycarp-hoole.html

I prayed [to the Angel of Repentance, who is called the Shepherd] much that he would explain to me the similitude of the field…And he answered me again, saying, “Every one who is the servant of God, and has his Lord in his heart, asks of Him understanding, and receives it, and opens up every parable; and the words of the Lord become known to him which are spoken in parables. But those who are weak and slothful in prayer, hesitate to ask anything from the Lord; but the Lord is full of compassion, and gives without fail to all who ask Him. But you, having been strengthened by the holy Angel, and having obtained from Him such intercession, and not being slothful, why do not you ask of the Lord understanding, and receive it from Him?” I said to him, “Sir, having you with me, I am necessitated to ask questions of you, for you show me all things, and converse with me; but if I were to see or hear these things without you, I would then ask the Lord to explain them.”

The Shepherd of Hermas, 3.5.4
Rome, Date questionable; perhaps as early as AD 85-90, perhaps as late as AD 140-155 [1]

What does this mean?

MARTIN LUTHER THE GNOSTIC

3.2 From the Apocryphal Acts of John

(27) The painter, then, on the first day made an outline of [John the Apostle] and went away…later John…went into the bedchamber, and saw the portrait of an old man crowned with garlands, and lamps and altars set before it. And he called him and said: Lycomedes, what meanest thou by this matter of the portrait? can it be one of thy gods that is painted here? for I see that thou art still living in heathen fashion. And Lycomedes answered him: My only God is he who raised me up from death with my wife: but if, next to that God, it be right that the men who have benefited us should be called gods -it is thou, father, whom I have had painted in that portrait, whom I crown and love and reverence as having become my good guide.
(28) And John who had never at any time seen his own face said to him: Thou mockest me, child: am I like that in form, [excelling] thy Lord? how canst thou persuade me that the portrait is like me? And Lycomedes brought him a mirror. And when he had seen himself in the mirror and looked earnestly at the portrait, he said: As the Lord Jesus Christ liveth, the portrait is like me: yet not like me, child, but like my fleshly image; for if this painter, who hath imitated this my face, desireth to draw me in a portrait, he will be at a loss…
(29) …But this that thou hast now done is childish and imperfect: thou hast drawn a dead likeness of the dead.

What does this mean?

Protestantism destroyed by archeology of catacombs

JUST WHY

Proddies explain

Can you explain this?

How can Protestants even recover?

archive.org/stream/epitaphscatacom00nortgoog#page/n99/mode/2up

Francis has to be a Soros puppet send to destroy the pillar of the church

Martin Luther was BASED!

I don't know if you know, but pretty much all christianity hated jews at that time. It was only the bloody kings wanting free money that allowed them to stay.

daily reminder that the german pope is the real pope and this marxist faggot is the antipope

Life site news, ignore everything these twats say

This is the simplest argument of protestantism.

>Muscular Christianity
jocks for jesus huh

interesting

As a result of the renewed attention to Evangelical, Roman Catholic, and Greek Orthodox relations, there is increased interest among Evangelicals in the early sources of Christian doctrine and exegetical practices. This too is certainly to be welcomed, though with cautious enthusiasm, since the current reconsideration of the patristic era is not a “return the sources” (ad fontes), but governed by a very specific agenda: to read the ancient fathers through the lens of post-Reformation Protestantism in the search for criteria, such as sola scriptura, embedded within the religious consciousness of the early church. Ancient vindication of such religious ideas would presumably further the claim that Protestants, not Roman Catholics, are the upholders of true faith. Witness the recent attempts to find a “patristic principle of sola scriptura” in Irenaeus(11) or Athanasius, from which the conclusion is reached, “Sola scriptura has long been the rule of believing Christian people, even before it became necessary to use the specific terminology against later innovators who would usurp the Scriptures’ supremacy in the church.”(12) Is the principle sola scriptura historically tenable in the form which is usually defined so that the Bible is the only normative source for the Christian faith and practice? Do the writings of the early church affirm this principle? As will become apparent, the very search for such a principle in the writings of the fathers is misguided in the light of the early church’s understanding of apostolic authority. Even if one argues that a biblicism that approximates sola scriptura can be detected within the patristic age, it in no way guarantees a Christian doctrine of God or salvation. On the contrary, a scripture-only principle was found to create greater problems which have plagued Christianity ever since. (D. H. Williams, “The Search for Sola Scriptura in the Early Church”, Interpretation vol. 52.4 (October 1998) pp. 355, 356.)