Why aren't mathematicians, physicist, engineers as highly paid as NFL players?

These people are the foundations for technological society. Why are they not compensated (on average) as highly as NFL players?

NFL players drafted in later rounds get $300,000-$400,000/yr and some of that is just to sit bench.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eNymeX_Z4wU
ncatlab.org/nlab/show/HomePage
thedroneracingleague.com
robotwars.tv
statisticbrain.com/prostitution-statistics/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why is Beyoncé so prejudiced?

We *know* but we really can't do anything about it

What is supply and demand nigger

Payment for NFL players comes from the massive profits that the sport brings in.
Where are the massive profits from my autistic diddlings in low dimensional topology? Of course I won't get compensated the same.

Stupid question.

NFL players bring in BILLIONS of dollars in revenue from sold out stadium games.

Mathematicians and Physicists just masturbate into bun-sin burners all day long.

The market decides.

Because people are stupid and would rather pay money to go see games are watch them on TV enabling team owners too pay players exorbitant salaries.

Did I spot a fellow /sci/ here?

I studied pure math as well. Main reason I am creating this thread. I'm moving into CS (PhD studies) since the prospects seem better.

Part of capitalism. It's not about moral good but rather for profit consumption. Loads of people love watching sports. Loads of top sponsors spend top money = loadsamoney.

But as much as it might feel stupid, capitalism is a very basic and free economy system that mostly makes sense globally and on an individual level which is hard to come by and very hard to change from now that we are so invested in it.

because people care more about watching some criminals on a red team vs a blue team toss a ball around

Yeah I'm a PhD student. I know tenure isn't common these days but a comfy job teaching math courses and sitting in my office all day doing topology sounds fantastic, and it pays well, certainly enough to support a family. And I like being around universities, they're political hot spots and I'll probably be shitposting on Sup Forums and deeply invested in politics for the rest of my life.

Why would they be paid as much? Do you even understand the factors that dictate how much money someone is pair?

Pro tip. Being the biggest fucking nerd is not one of those factors

this most Mathematicians and Physicists do nothing all day long, maybe just confirm something we already knew, those who invent shit have billions

but yeah, stupid people who pay for sports or fashion are responsible for what you asked OP

You just wanted to make a thread or are you really this stupid?

assuming you mean the ones working for tech companies - they could (the best ones). but the companies they work for don't share the money with them the way that NFL players are given their share. maybe research scientists should unionize

capitalism. sorry, loser. i'm sure voting for trump will save you, though.

>if you like what I don't like You're stupid

The best engineers in the world make comparable lifetime salaraies as footballers. Same with doctors and such, physicists not so much because they don't actually do anything.

NFL players just make it all in 10 years instead of 50.

Because there aren't as many slots.

With 32 teams and 53 players maximum on a team, there are only 1696 slots to fill. You might find that the top 1696 STEM graduates have been able to parlay their skills into a business and actually make at least $300,000 to $400,000 as you point out as a minimum for NFL play.

I can smell the 95 IQ off you
smells like damp, musty, mildewy failure

I wouldn't mind being a professor. I found it quite hard to switch from pure math to CS, because while I satisfied all math pre-reqs in CS, I had basically 0 pre-reqs satisfied for CS & most programs want essentially a CS minor or above.

I am now taking all the CS pre-req before applying to programs, but I have to say all of my mathematical studies has immense pay off in CS. All of the "hard" problems in CS are what we as mathematicians are "used to". I noticed quite an aversion to mathematics among fellow CS students, kind of funny because I find computational complexity, logic, graph theory, combinatorics, algorithms, etc. to be "fun".

I'm not totally certain if I'll be a prof. but I probably will entertain the idea. I like academia a lot.

youtube.com/watch?v=eNymeX_Z4wU

tfw airline pilot, 29 years old and making 150K a year to work 15 days a month, and pretty much guarentees that one day I'll be in the top 5% of seniority making 300K in today's dollars to do nothing

Because most engineers are too busy shooting the shit at work and playing fantasy football.

if you like sport go play sport, if you like to pay so big niggers can fuck you daughter don't bitch about it

I study physics and what you propose is totally retarded, if your work worths something you wouldnt be bitching here.

For every successful NFL player, there's a hundred mediocre players, and a thousand players who never stood a chance to go professional. Mathematicians, physicists and engineers, even if they are at the bottom of their class, generally get decent salaries because their skills are useful even if they aren't the best. And a large portion of the self-made richest individuals are scientists and engineers. The best NFL players get a good salary, but they never become billionaires.

No one really cares about the fundamentals. So long as something works who cares how or why.

People feel more connected to sports in the way that it's a representation of a warrior of some kind. There is something in the psychology of the average person that makes them attracted to it, and they probably have been attracted to it for a 100,000 years. Intellectual work is very very recent in human development. Most people really cannot relate. There have been religions and such, but no one really cared, except the people who had the impulses to join the priesthoods. People seem predisposed to value brute strength and these warrior professions over the scholarly ones. They get something nice out of engineering and science. But it it is ultimately foreign to them.

Plz link to ur blog.

Ok, but you may not understand it:

ncatlab.org/nlab/show/HomePage

Because people are free to associate as they wish without interference from the state, for the most part, and value is subjective, so there will be people who value the ability to run and throw a ball more than hundreds of thousands of dollars per year.

Free association is great, don't hate.

Less theory and more practical app. The more you can sell it to the average joe the more you'll make. The average joe doesn't need an equation to fly to Mars or need to travel at faster than light speeds. In other words, create something better to replace television with and you'll be rich. Just don't let the /biz/ fags cut you out of the profits. Get a patent or something. These guys have the right idea or at least a good one. Imagine a world where drone flying is as watched as football. Maybe you could get in on the ground level of making home defense watch dogs for them home.
thedroneracingleague.com
robotwars.tv

300-400k a year ? Not every Mathematician, Physicist and Engineer gets that but alot of them actually do. Father of my Friend is senior engineer at mercedes he gets 500000-750000 Euro a year or more.

Mathematicians that work writing those automatic trading programs or whatever start with 100000 and can earn MUCH more. It depends on how good you are in which field you are for what company you work.

I think you just dont know how well they can be payed and what opportunities they have.
NFL is a tiny industry compared to many other things. People working at the right job can do alot of money. Its just nobody knows about it. Because they do not talk about their income and nobody actually cares.

>what is economics

they got higher economic impacts by capita

>tfw too intelligent to care about money

Advice for a math + physics major?

How do I make bank w/ a BS? I want to pursue a Ph.D., but will need to raise some funds for a year or two.

Well, Terry Tao makes 500k a year from UCLA and he probably gets more from other sources.

NFL players are the top 99.99% of athletes

Similarly, the top 99.99% of academics/intelligentsia could easily get enough from a uni post or just go into tech

Well Physicists can also make a lot. For example Physicist working for Intel/IBM/Samsung or material science physicist inventing new materials or Physicist working for Cern/Iter or a Nuclear Power Plant. They can earn 300000-400000 easily.

It's harder for those careers to make a fortune off the masses. An engineer MIGHT discover something worthwhile with those millions of dollars... But point a camera at a field of highly motivated, jacked up thugs and you have a guaranteed payday.

will respond in a few.

This is now a YLYL thread

Mathematicians care about their reputation, not money.

The head of a math department at the uni I attended makes like 90k / year but the lifestyle they live (taking sabbaticals every 3 years, teaching max 2 classes at a time, marrying a new 35 year old woman every 10 years despite being 60+) is not something you can put a price on.

There's far more of those than NFL players.

not who you asked but:
any research experience? it's not too tough to get a research assistantship - then you won't have to pay for your PhD and you'll get a stipend you might be able to live off of

TAKE THE BOGPILL

>most Mathematicians and Physicists do nothing all day long, maybe just confirm something we already knew

explain exactly what you mean.

>marrying a new 35 year old woman every 10 years despite being 60+

Sounds absolutely degenerate.

How many arab dicks have you sucked on today lad

Society doesn't care about science
Prostitutes get paid more than doctors
>Average annual income of a U.S. prostitute: $290,000
statisticbrain.com/prostitution-statistics/

I would get internships, research experience and learn programming.

If you need a job in between BS and PhD then you'll want marketable skill sets. Software pays well but usually requires knowledge in data structures/algorithms in addition to programming.

Data Science will require knowledge in stuff like R/Python + Statistics.

PhD programs pay stipends, but not much.

>marrying a new 35 year old woman every 10 years despite being 60+

ha. I saw a ton of that at uni. How the hell do they pull it off?

I thought these niggers were rappers

well thats a really obviouse answer. People pay for entertainment. people don't pay for science.