Students demand removal of philosophers because they are white

University students demand philosophers such as Plato and Kant are removed from syllabus because they are white

hey are the said to be the founding fathers of Western philosophy, whose ideas underpin civilised society.

But students at a prestigious London university are demanding that figures such as Plato, Descartes and Immanuel Kant should be largely dropped from the curriculum because they are white.

School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS)'s student union is insisting that when studying philosophy “the majority of philosophers on our courses” should be from Africa and Asia.

telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/01/08/university-students-demand-philosophers-including-plato-kant/

They will not rest until our civilization lies in ruins, resembling the very place they fled from originally.

Other urls found in this thread:

seattletimes.com/seattle-news/education/too-many-dead-white-dudes-seattle-u-students-protest-programs-curriculum/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS)'s student union is insisting that when studying philosophy “the majority of philosophers on our courses” should be from Africa and Asia.

I see no problem with this if it's ONLY for philosophy courses in the School of Oriental and African Studies, which it looks like it's referring to. Yellow journalism and illiterate OP.

>Greeks
>white

try again

The leaf makes sense. Something is wrong.

At my CATHOLIC university in the CLASSICS/Honors program, the students did a sit in for weeks and got the dean fired.

Article is called, "Too many dead white dudes?"

Forgive me for wanting to learn about the foundations of western thought. If you want to do afro-queer studies I'm sure there is another university that will take your money.

seattletimes.com/seattle-news/education/too-many-dead-white-dudes-seattle-u-students-protest-programs-curriculum/

No, he doesn't. The majority of those philosophers would be from the middle east. To learn about the middle eastern philosophers, you must first know the Greeks.

No you double nigger, just because they're European doesn't mean that their works cannot be influential to their culture.

>thinking you can understand middle eastern philosophy without understanding Plato and Aristotle

You're both as illiterate as the OP. Read the article and try again.

>It says that “white philosophers” should be studied only “if required”, adding that their work should be taught solely from a “critical standpoint”.

Essentially, they concede that they may be required to discuss "white philosophers" but again, they want their courses to focus mainly on philosophers from Asia and Africa.

Secondly, they said that the MAJORITY of philosophers should be from Africa and Asia, not necessarily all of them. Are you even suggesting that an "Oriental and African Studies" philosophy course should be mostly about Western philosophers?

you might be right that everyone is over-reacting, but you're missing the cultural marxist dog-whistle.

>adding that their work should be taught solely from a “critical standpoint”.

"critical" = postmodernist/post-structuralist/critical theory

aka here's how it is bad in all the ways. never the mind if whether the criticisms of college kids far less intelligent than kant are smugly responding to a dead man's brilliant writing and getting applauded for their snide remarks in their colloquiums for being brave survivors of their racist, 18th century rhetoric.

The problem is now you're jumping to conclusions and making assumptions. Teaching something from a "critical standpoint" doesn't mean bashing it for the entire lecture, but doing an analysis and, yes, formulating criticisms or debating. There's nothing wrong with this, and it should actually be encouraged in all philosophy courses. If you aren't examining ideas critically, you are just consuming them (and mindlessly accepting/rejecting them).

This entire thread is making a mountain out of a molehill.

When they demand the same from Western philosophy courses, OP can make this thread again.

are they asking for female philosophers like ayn rand?

shit, that's exactly why you've never gonna see feminist step into philosophy to ask for parity

Agreed. White supremacy needs to end. Give one reason why it shouldn't.
>Inb4 muh white accomplishments
Almost everything white people have done have been at the expense of People of Color.

WHAT THE FUUUUUCUCUCUCCKKASFDAÖLAFLägelwäfe

What will we be left with? Argentinian philosophers?

>School of Oriental and African Studies
What the fuck? This is an actual field of study?

Jesus wept what the fuck happened to our education institutes?

What is the difference between colored people and people of color?

Don't ever let your government or any social/political/religious ideology make decisions about education. All of those people have vested interests in slanting and corrupting your education so that future generations are more easy to manipulate and lack the critical thinking skills to recognize this. If you do let those people have influence in your schools, you end up with
>American """education"""

Western universities have been pioneers in Oriental (Near East + Middle East) studies for as long as there have been Orientalists in academia. When I was in uni I took a course on Ancient Mesopotamia which was taught in a similarly named department.

>(((if required)))
>(((critical standpoint)))
you're as naive as they are illiterate

Kant was basically a sjw "muh feels", nothing of value would be lost

I'm not naive. I get it, they have an agenda. And so do you.

That doesn't mean I have to leave my critical thinking at the door.

>require critical standpoint
>implying they aren't already limited to the necessary ones

If you're aware of the agenda then why bother citing those lines as if they mean anything
>all right class, today we'll talk about how Aristotle condoned slavery and Plato's philosopher Kings were bigoted cisheteronormative oppressors to fulfill our white philosophers quota

literally what African philosophers exist on this earth. And don't cuck out with obviously romanised phoenicians.

His feelings were about how masturbation was as bad as suicide and degenerates should basically kill themselves.
I agree he's overrated but it's harsh to call him a sjw.

I can't wrap my head around this, someone please explain.

What the fuck has SOAS to do with philosophy? As far as I know in schools over here at least. if a dude wanted to learn about asian philosophy he took a separate class for it, no problem.
Philosophy classes in general were focused on understanding the ideas of famous philosophers living in the western culture or in another words, it was basicallly history class about wisdom in our native home. There was no room for branching out because there is a lot to discuss.

>African Studies
>African Culture
>African Civilization
>African Technology

For the same reason I bother responding to the people ITT.

Memnon

Kek, don't freak out. This kind of courses are created for SJW-indoctrination. It has nothing to do with real knowledge.

>muh imperialism
>muh capitalism
>muh patriarchy

You know, kind of (((Frankfurt School)))

I am fucking freaking out.

Nobody touches my men Plato and Descartes. Kant can fuck off but Plato delivers the word of Socrates who went to his death just to deliver a message to the future, for us.

Philosophy is not limited to only Western philosophy. Indian and Chinese philosophy can take up multiple courses on their own.

Fucking retarded burger

>students want Plato and Kant removed from the curriculum
The logic may be silly, but this is for the best. Plato is a cancer that holds philosophy back.

>Studying philosophy
>Not studying Kant, Plato, and Descartes
No matter what you think of their ideas, those are three of the most important thinkers in the history of Western civilization and there's no excuse for not studying them even if you AREN'T going for a philosophy degree.

Nice bait Tyrone

Colored has historical roots in the civil rights era where the term was used to degrade or 'otherize' black people.
People of Color is a reappropriation of that concept by non-white individuals to refer to themselves. It's an effort to devorce the idea of being non-white or 'colored' with being inferior.

>a fucked adjective
Damn, you read nietzsche once, your'e so enlightened

>Greeks
>White

One is an outdated racist term, the other is a walking-on-eggshells-tryhard-not-to-offend-the-darkies-PC-friendly term using by liberal cuckheads when they could just say "black" and be done with it.

>People of Color
But it's fucking retarded for putting Arabs, Asians, Turks, and blacks under a single term. You might as well have a term that refers only to whites, egyptians, and natives

Also, the idea of "appropriating" words if fucking retarded and an example of itself.

>students of shit-hut general wants white to tear down villas as they make their shuts seem bad

are there even any african philosophers?
asia got confusius at least

So they are abolishing philosophy as a major then? I'm down, too many filler classes as "general requirement" anyway.

>inb4 karl "Maximilion" marx is excluded.

Again, read the article.
>School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS)'s student union is insisting that when studying philosophy “the majority of philosophers on our courses” should be from Africa and Asia.

Tell me, what is wrong with wanting to study MOSTLY philosophers from Africa and Asia in the School of Oriental and African Studies?

Let me ask you another question: how would you feel about spending a significant part of a course on Descartes to discuss African and Asian philosophers, even if those classes were related to Descartes' ideas?

Niggers are so petty desu

>Tell me, what is wrong with wanting to study MOSTLY philosophers from Africa and Asia in the School of Oriental and African Studies?
What's wrong with desperately wishing for what already is?

I agree

But ancient greeks werent white, they werent pale nor didnt have light features

>School dedicated to studying niggers and chinks
>students want to read nigger and chink philosophers

I fail to see the problem, that is the express purpose of the school

I know. And I'm all for more (((diverse))) philosophy but not on sacrificing major players in the game whose centuries old thoughts are just as relevant as they are today. You can't study philosophy with cherry picking from here and there. We study specifically western philosophers because we understand the language and the mindset. In order to get into the words of, let's say Indian philosophers (who are fucking great, we need to get into the whole of Indian culture to truly understand the words. Hell, Kant's words are a riddle to even native speakers, you cannot reduce the studies on Kant if you want to understand him.

And I also do not understand is why specifically Plato, Descartes and Kant were mentioned.

You're a whiny cunt. Fucking christ, it's the same thing worded slightly differently.

kys

>SOAS
>prestigious

that's the most glaring issue with this article

>Oriental and African Studies
>Hurr you have to study white philosophers
That is retarded, you are retarded. If it was the philosophy major in general you might have a point but it isn't, it is Oriental and African Studies. It would be like European Studies mostly covering African history.

>in the history of Western civilization
They aren't studying western civilization.

>Yellow journalism
wow no need to be racist

The leaf is wrong you idiot.
Western philosophers are the only philosophers that used logic and tried to build models that make predictions.
This is in total opposition and contradiction with other philosophies bases on '' muh feels ''
You can't properly study '' muh feels '' if you don't compare it to Plato, Socrates and the such

>You can't study philosophy with cherry picking from here and there.

I absolutely agree. But I think it's not such a damning thing to want to focus on philosophers related to your specific department/school.

im prolly lighter than you, and unlike you I know EXACTLY where my family came from

>Tell me, what is wrong with wanting to study MOSTLY philosophers from Africa and Asia in the School of Oriental and African Studies?
An education that isn't well-rounded isn't an education at all. Excluding thinkers on the basis of race from a curriculum is reprehensible.
>ow would you feel about spending a significant part of a course on Descartes to discuss African and Asian philosophers, even if those classes were related to Descartes' ideas?
I probably wouldn't throw a shitfit over it. Advaita vedanta is pretty interesting, anyway, more interesting than Descartes.
>But I think it's not such a damning thing to want to focus on philosophers related to your specific department/school.
I still don't see why you think this.

Fine teach St. Augustine he was algerian. Fucking leftists

well, the reason they are students is because they haven't learned anything yet.

St. Augustine

Yeah, I managed to calm down now and process the article a bit. I admit, I was actually baited by the way it was written. It did gave me the impression as they were trying to go against the philosophy classes in general.

Sorry, leaf. You're right actually. It's actually surprising that they don't have asian/african philosophy classes already? Or the problem is that there isn't enough of it? In a way it's understandable that there aren't any because I believe there aren't many who are capable of teaching these in depth here in the West.
I mean, over here our Asian studies department or whatever have the option to take some asian philosophy classes but there isn't much of it here because, to my knowledge, there was only one teacher who had some knowledge of the Chinese philosophy at least.

>Darkies complain that logic is to hard for them to learn
>Play the race card

Hehehoohaha

So now we should tech Mwanke Ne Kekono and the school of Kalakala Miniaki Mosuna?

m8 you dont want critical theory poisoning the well

He might be jumping the gun a bit but its a reasonable concern