Will Donald Trump keep his promise to make battleships great again?

Will Donald Trump keep his promise to make battleships great again?

Yes, he'll make super-battleships that are so great they can carry airplanes

I hope so, a single battleship has more firepower then some entire armies, I think that the US has some in reserve but as far as I know most navies don't use battleships anymore

Why were battleships scrapped?

inb4 boatslut memes

I can't wait for his future air craft carrier

>Battleships
>Posts a cruiser

>Expensive to maintain
>Even more expensive to operate
>Made obsolete by aircraft carriers and missiles

A railgun battleship would be pretty cool, also able to be much smaller than normal battleships.

Though it'll be more of a floating battery than a ship of the line.

You guys already have the best Navy, what else do you need? Spcashi....darn

They're maintained as museums now. All of the Iowa Class ships are still afloat, but will need a good deal of work to get them back to fighting shape.

I stayed on the NJ when I was in scouts, shit was absolute cash. I'd have joined the Navy if I could serve on a BB.

Aircraft carriers overtook the role as they are more dynamic, also, despite there enormous fire power, warfare between battleships can be compared as two eggs swinging sledge hammers at each other, they weren't considered good cost/risk analysis.

murica has tonnes of out of service battleships, but they would probably be a liabilty to bring back into service

but then again desperate times call for desperate measures, hopefully there wont be any desperate(er) times

The USS Salem was the last of the Heavy Cruisers.
poor bait

>battleshipfag from /k/ now posting on Sup Forums
kys

The yamato shouldve went down in more grorious fashion. Like the Bismarck. Could the gooks do anything right with America involved in ww2?

The weapons and tactics of the last Great War will be obsolete for the next one. Count on it. I think carriers are a lot more vulnerable than people give credit for, especially from some of the newer and more novel missile systems.

Interestingly there's something to be said about battleship armor in that most modern anti ship missiles would fail to penetrate the citadel, turret, or belt armor of an Iowa Class. Since most ships use aircraft, ecm, picket fleet, and point defenses instead of armor, modern antiship missiles neither have the sectional density or the warhead capacity to reliably penetrate WWII era battleship armor.

Give a newly battleship replaceable/ablative sensors like a swarm of aerial and undersea drones to provide data to the ship via redundant reception locations. Combine it with a large missile capacity, a picket fleet, and perhaps some of those new rail guns once we get the kinks sorted and you'd have a platform that is a massive area denial weapon at a fraction of the cost of a carrier.

Carriers are super vulnerable. It's a joke that people think they're the be all end all. Subs will get the carrier.

Carriers are good now because you can park an airbase right off of dumbfuckistans borders and rain death.

But dumb fuckistan can't strike back.

well her orders were to beach herself and to fight until destroyed, it's just that the americans got to her first.

*aircraft carriers

They're going be YUUUGE

detection still remains the chief determination of sea warfare.

subs don't mean shit when they can't find the carrier group and they return to port to resupply only to be met with rubble.

Solid railgun slugs would also be harder to intercept from anti missile defenses.

But a large battleship will still get wrecked by a modern torpedo

Too late, I already have been making battleships great again by renaming my account to "USSDONALDJTRUMP" way before he won the nominations. Made me infamous, feels good man.

That might have been devastating for us. Our guys did a good job preventing that from happening. Tough to imagine a scenario where those guns were an armored unsinkable emplacement.

>2017
>le Battlship

What a stupid fucking idea.

So what the zumwalt was supposed to be?

No, because they are useless.
Today's warfare missions are done by destroyers with their missiles and aircraft carriers with their planes.
Maybe in the future a large battleship that can't be seen on radar is developed.. but don't count on it.

Far more expensive that most ships, and can do less than what an ACC can do.

the zumwalt is a destroyer

Naval officer here, there's no tactical or strategic use for battleships in an age of naval aviation and cruise missiles and submarines.

It's sad, yes, but we must all deal with it.

I don't think a battleship beached in shallow waters would hold up too well to waves of bombers flying over it and dumping fucktons of bombs on it and in the shallow water next to it

Island fortifications were resistant to bomb attack because of deep earth and concrete barriers that the guns could be pulled back into

Why is Trump such a retard about military hardware?

What do you mean?

Because he panders to other idiots who don't into military hardware.

Do we need to spend more money on the already bloated military.

Don't blame the military. Blame contractors. Seriously they're ripping us off.

And it's congress' fault. Fucking lobbyists and corruption and bribery.

They need to get rid of the fucking fattys and shitty women on permanent profiles already.

Last battleship coming through

Its not the carrier itself but the fighters on the carrier that matters. They can strike from a massive distance and no ship can really defend itself from airplanes fires missiles. A battleship will never get in range to use its cannons before its taken out so its better with smaller ships thats cheaper and harder to hit.
Really, navies are obsolete, their only purpose it so defend the floating airbase that is the carrier. Battleship will never again be useful and thus a waste of money.

I read he wants to make a nigger navy why a nigger navy?

>tfw you will never witness the full might of the imperial British naval force at its peak

I completely agree with you. I wish Congress would pass legislation that if a contract goes 5 or 10 percent over budget the government can cancel it with no consequences. That would cause defense contractors to be much more honest about how much a project is going to cost from the start.

>make battleships great again
>Implying they were ever not great.

1. That's a cruiser.
2. No. Battleships are obsolete for all but one role (Supporting coastal landings), and that role only appears once every few decades.
3. Are you that fucktard making constant threads on /k/? If so, knock it off.

Contracts should also be agreed to up front, no overtime allowed without renegotiating the contract, and if the work is subpar the government should be able to get a full refund since the work will have to be redone. It's ridiculous that a ten minute job is stretched out to 8 hours on a saturday just so contractors can get their double overtime.

There really isn't any way to may WWII-style battleships worthwhile in a modern navy. Aircraft and anti-ship missiles mean that engagements are fought outside of the range of cannons, so a battleship would be nothing more than a coastal bombardment platform and deterrent against small craft attempting to approach a fleet.

A better idea if you want a modern capital ship would be to build pic related. Basically a scaled-up Zumwalt with hundreds of VLS cells and a bunch of point-defense weapons.

Totally. I was just looking at it from an acquisitions standpoint, but for maintenance and upkeep that would be good policy. I suspect the subpar work on new equipment would be hard to prove, ie I think the contractor would end up taking the government to court rather than admit they have crappy design to begin with.

They'll be oooooGe.... and easily sunk by Chinese subs.

I hear there are brown folks in your usa. Maybe it's a navy for them?

>I don't think a battleship beached in shallow waters would hold up too well to waves of bombers flying over it and dumping fucktons of bombs on it and in the shallow water next to it

This.

they were obsolete by ww2 because of airplanes and submarines

nowadays we have land based rockets that could kill one and there goes your billions of investment

They're out dated, theres better options to support landing forces.