Therapy

Is therapy a legit way to get help or is it bullshit pseudoscience the Jews created to make money? I've been doing therapy for a year now for my anxiety and nothing has changed, all my therapist does is ask me questions and have casual conversations. It baffles me how someone that just asks questions and talks could get payed so much.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kaNO09cPS6c&spfreload=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>payed

Probably because you're a retard and easy to take advantage of.

therapy is a meme, you are literally paying someone to talk to you

>bullshit pseudoscience the Jews created to make money
it is that, no more, no less

I did trauma therapy (to help with PTSD), before I used to wake up several times a night screaming and had all kinds of issues (like this really weird thing where I felt like I couldn't eat in public, knew it was retarded but couldn't put myself over it).
My therapist had a lot of information and scientific papers for me to read because I was really skeptical, the underlying theory is mostly decent.

It can help, but you need a no-nonsense therapist, and avoid cognitive therapy.

I don't pay for it my health insurance does. What does anything I said have to do with getting taken advantage of? Also switched wifi so different id

psychologist vs therapist

A psychologist is a real doctor, who can actually diagnose and prescribe you medication to correct mental illness

A therapist is giving out bullshit pseudoscience. You don't need to pay someone to vent your bullshit too. Talking is free.

Yeah I figured. It's the same as just talking to a friend about life I honestly don't understand why people say so many good things about it

I would say this is pretty much what it's good for. Good therapists won't just talk to you- they'll try to figure out what thought patterns or behaviors you have that are negatively affecting you, and give you well researched techniques to eliminate them.

They're essentially a special kind of consultant- the same way a company may consult with another to get access to information they may not readily have, you do the same for a therapist.

Sounds like you have a shitty therapist OP.

>It can help, but you need a no-nonsense therapist, and avoid cognitive therapy.

This. Therapy can be effective only if you have a legit therapist. Just because they practice in the profession does not mean they're good at what they do.

Psychiatrist is a Medical doctor
Psychologist is a PHD

Man they sure do make a shitton of money for just asking questions I wouldn't mind becoming one
>and avoid cognitive therapy
That's what I'm doing, behavioral cognitive therapy.

would you sell your soul for money?

Therapy doesn't help, won't change anything. You really just sit there and talk to a stranger for a while.

It's real and part of the modern slavery that makes us nihilists

try meditating op
youtube.com/watch?v=kaNO09cPS6c&spfreload=1

Therapists duty is to show you places in your mind where you try to hide from.

After that talk you will remember the time your dad hit you.
Your mother ignored you.
Your brother disrespected you.

A stranger slighted you.
Normally you bury them deep.
He shows you what buried.
You then decide what to do with that.
It's a meme that works.

unless you can pay your bills with your soul in poland, I'm going to have to go with the obvious answer of "without hesitation"

I did a psych rotation and one of my patients was totally bipolar antisocial personality disorder. Finished my rotation and after graduating I see the same guy on my local news arrested because he decided to pull a BB gun on another driver and ended up in a police chase caught when he crashed his car. Local news reported that he was off his meds.

Psych patients are so difficult to deal with.

Try CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) instead

That's what I've been doing. I've yet to see a change and my family says the same thing

No, it is not a meme. Nor is it a scam.

You get out what you put in.

Stupid and lazy people get nothing out of it because they put nothing in.

This is why people like the folks on Sup Forums think things like an education or therapy are a scam. They are worthless, lazy fucks.

Sure: you go sit in a chair and talk. THEN what do you do? If the answer is "nothing" then you are being scammed, but not by the therapist. You are the one swindling yourself, by squandering the opportunities you have.

Sounds to me like some grade a bullshit pseudoscience. "uncovering the debts of your mind" yeah what the fuck is that all about he's just asking questions

why the fuck would you want that, bad memories constantly pop up in my head, I just wish I could forget them

Just take acid and have a conversation with yourself it's what I did for depression it works if you want yourself to get better

M8 nobody is saying education is pointless, but therapy does nothing to actually improve your situation it's just a placebo affect. Therapists pray on desperate people with mental problems and claim they can help them but in reality don't do a goddamn thing

>talking will make my social ineptitude go away :^)

>pseudoscience

this reddit meme must die

T. Dr shekelstein, your friendly therapist that will cure all of your problems by talking, just be sure to pay for every visit

Therapists don't actually make very much money. When I was doing Internship as part of my Psychology degree they were all telling me how little money they actually made. There's also rules to prevent them from making too much money by limiting how much time they can bill!

Got out of that as fast as I could.

But yes, it 'can' help sometimes. If you don't feel like it's helping, just stop going.

I've done acid 3 time last summer and I wouldn't say it helped just made me see the world in a different way, made me a lot more anxious in public though

How about we do that here.
Tell me.

When someone ignores you what do you feel?
You smile without showing your teeth.Why is that?

Do you think your dad care about you?
You work all day.Do you feel your GF appreciate you?

This is called probing.
No matter who you talk to noone will ask this kinds of questions to you.
Not even your mother or wife.

Ah unfortunately bad memories get to be remembered.
Because they hurt you.
Actually hurt you just by being real.
You will never forgot how your mother cried in front of you.
That's eternal.
Therapists have a way to find and cure these memories.
They remind you of a bad memory and then ask you to describe everything in that memory.
A tree, a watch, pretty face of a friend, your own innocent childhood, a nice toy....
This is how you cure them and accept them. By focusing on the best part of the memory.

Been doing psychoanalisys for an year now, i can't say that i got better from my anxiety and low self steem issues but i got to "realize" the root of most issues and that a lot of random experiences are connected somehow. My social life is a lot better now, there were times i wouldnt go out because i thought all my friends were just pretending to like me, that doesnt happen anymore.

Incorrect. Therapists give you the opportunity to reflect on and confront feelings and impulses that we do not reflect on nor confront.
>but we can do that ourselves!
But we don't. You don't. I don't. The person you most-admire in the world doesn't, either. No one does until confronted with those by another person.

In Finland alcohol is the therapist, talking feelings with some random stranger seems stupid

>I feel unwanted
>I smile without showing my teeth because I had 2 teeth fall off when I was a teen and I was embarrassed about it I wear dentures now, how did u know that btw
>my dad doesn't give a flying fuck about me he lives in a different country and started a new family, he doesn't call me or contact me in anyway ever
>don't have a gf, don't have a job

Do you study science at all? Do you understand statistics? Are you at all educated? Or are you speaking out of your ignorant ass?

Be honest. Because you sound like a higschooler who thinks he has it all figured out.

I'm have the same problems you do in glad you improved, I haven't felt any improvement tho
Lol therapists are modern day witch doctors man. They are no better than those ladies that claim they can talk to other people's dead family members

Ah I feel you drugs just affect others diffeently. It helped me simply because I was able to actually understand what I was feeling a little better. Plus I've always been super anxious I never talked until I was 5 it was always hard for me to open up to therapists. Everytime I went to a therapist I sat there the whole hour and a half so in my mind who was better to talk to about my feelings than my self you know? I'm still incredibly anxious not sure if it's from the acid or if I just can't figure out why I'm scared about everyone or everything in my surroundings whenever I trip that or I haven't taken enough to dive deeper into my mind

I once did therapy and now I am a retarded faggot loser.

It's the curse of men to be ignorant of their own lives.
Science of matter is easier than the science of the mind.

(When I see a disabled person my mouth shuts completely and I start speaking softly and begging God to help.
I want to kill myself there and then.
I think I identify with those disabled people.

I feel like I am failure of biology and I should be dead)

Hopefully I will get my hands on a tab soon so I could try it again. Either that or shrooms whichever is best for the therapeutic effect

Lad honest advice

When you dont have a job, mental shit piles up

Having a daily scheduel where you go out, work and come home and even earn Money from it, will help you.

From what I can tell, you are anxious with low self esteem.

You have no idea how common that is.

Dont be afraid of taking a "bad job" because once you are in a better rythem you will eventually change job.

Ive been in the military and they thought us these things are essential for psychological health:

1. Hygiene. Brush teeth and shower
2. Physical activity. Even just long walks if you dont feel like running at first are very healthy
3. Having a daily scheduel (work / School)

If you do these things you can talk with your therapist about how you feel at first.

Like I got this new job but I feel X

Then they can help you get better

I've had jobs and they just made my social anxiety way worse, like panic attacks I can't deal with people I freak out so that makes it hard too I agree with the exercise thing I have been working on getting more active

Thank you for the advice btw I apreciate it norweighbro

Talking to someone is proven to help because some people don't have someone there to listen.
But mental problems like bipolar disorder, depression, ADHD, can't be talk out.

Your anxiety might be caused my a misbalance of chemicals in the brain.
Tell your therapist you don't feel like your anxiety has lessened and ask about pills.
Then research the fuck out of the different ones they recommend and ask about side effects. Don't give up, don't stop taking your pills once you are one them. If you don't like them, switch.

If you want to avoid pills or want to try something else first and switch to pills if they don't help try:

Eat foods high in things that lower anxiety. Vitamin B, Calcium, Magnesium, Omega3.

Foods to avoid that raise anxiety: Caffeine, high sugar foods, alcohol, processed and refined flour.

Try herabal remedies proven to help. Like st John's wart, nutmeg, and chamomile. I suffered from depression and my dad gave me a bottle of st John's wart. Sad part was I was too depressed to have the energy to take them. But it is one of the strongest herbs for helping anxiety.

>It's the same as just talking to a friend about life
Must be a pretty fucking great friend then if his listening abilities can rival those of a therapist. A skilled therapist will ask you the right questions to nudge you into a direction where you can eventually help yourself out.

One of the most important advices I give as a research psychologist, not a medical one mind you, is to sort out your diet, get proper sleep, exercise and lead a good social life. The most important things for happiness is good occupation, social life and health. If depression goes on for 6 months despite this, you could be "depressed". However, if you're experiencing extreme stress or something like a death in the family it's completely naturally and trying to medicate this is more detrimental than sorting it out.

*natural, fuck me.

>It can help, but you need a no-nonsense therapist, and avoid cognitive therapy.

avoid congitive? why? I mean congnitive isnt used with PTSD. cognitive combined with behaviour is fantastic for easier fixes. Brathing techniques and musle relaxations are also fantastic.

>or is it bullshit pseudoscience the Jews created to make money?

this is true in many cases

t. psychologist

AVOID AS HELL : psychoanalysis, gestalt...and everything that looks and smells new age guru-ish

>but therapy does nothing to actually improve your situation it's just a placebo affect.

few studies showed that comparable effect is quite weak and its mostly about talking with people, help me out with the references...but in defense its hard to compare different probelms and therapies

>Talking to someone is proven to help because some people don't have someone there to listen.

this,

>But mental problems like bipolar disorder, depression, ADHD, can't be talk out.

depends on the depth, ADHD is strongly phisiological, bipolar can be also (but in most cases its not but it is a result of longterm use of pills)

>One of the most important advices I give as a research psychologist

I know you, you posted about the Flynn effect havent you? and your advice is correct but not as easily achieveble.

I must say no, I'm ignorant to the Flynn effect. This is very common advice taking in many schools of pyschology into consideration. I want to say this is common knowledge before even Jung. I was in the AMA psychologist thread earlier some Swiss dude made. I partake in pyschology threads often but not me this time. I get my rocks off on MKULTRA threads.

>Flynn effect.

some USA user was pasting smth about flynn from a payed journal which he hasnt named since he claimed he would have been easily identifieable

Being phisically fit and generally healthy with (!) good sleep (!) makes most problems go away, but rarely are people good on all 3.

I'd argue sleep and diet are the most effective.

Health in general. There's a reason many cancer patients whom give up die and many who have a reason to live do so. It's more than just telomeres, we're superorganisms. If you throw your neutrition away everything goes down the drain.

cognitive behavioral therapy works, helped me deal with my crippling anxiety disorder

CBT is good in therapy, applied with other schools of thought but I fucking hate mentalist hippy shit. I abhor Rogerian psychologist as a Skinnerian radical behaviorist.

I've never gone to therapy because I'm flawless but I do have a couple friends who have benefited from it. I think it really depends on your issue and the therapist. Keep in mind, though, that most therapists are batshit insane themselves.

it comes down to the most reductionist level - our neuronstranmitters who can function properly without nutritiets + cardio vascualar health.

if you are interested in MK ultra, you are probably familair with pinecone symbols representative of pineall gland and how aluminium affects it...

offcourse, you cant deduct everything to neurons but in most cases people overcomplicate.

>cognitive behavioral therapy works

you bet it works - simple, cheap, effective. everyone practices most of those techniques on a daily basis.
Yeah, Skinner went to far with raductionism and the rest of fags around him but had a good goal in mind

British therapist here.
Happy to answer questions for a bit. General stuff mind. Can also post links to self-help resources for all manner of things if people want them.

I agree with you, however neuropsychology is good for seeing things but not understanding why. You might be able to see that someone is depressed or whatever but it doesn't show why. I'm more annoyed by Rogerian lack of responsibility and reliance on perception moreso than Skinner's trust in emperical evidence and rejecting mentalism. It had it's short comings but it was a hard science.

This is literally me. I wish I could forget all the bad and embarrassing shit in my life.

>mentalist hippy shit

that is literally 75% of psychology right now, only respectable new thing coming out of it is congitive research.

>Rogerian lack of responsibility and reliance on perception moreso than Skinner's trust in emperical evidence and rejecting mentalism

both Roger and Skinner were quackers basically - roger went the other extreme and wrote interesting stuff but in reality there was nothing scientifical about it, nor was Skinners (whose Biheviorism is actually ateoretical)

You are a stupid cuck. Mental issues can only be solved by your own mind.

See this post.
You can cure the memories.

>Tfw you have shy bladder so bad that you grew a phobia of public toilets and now are soon to see a cbt therapist.
Why the fuck do our brains do this? You know how irrational a fear is yet you still fly into a panic over something as stupid as needing a piss in public.

I'm a therapist. Seriously.

You might just need to find another therapist that's a better fit.

Try and find a red pilled therapist. They do exist. I am one.

You also actually have to want to AND try to change. Therapy isn't meme magic. It's all on you bro.

>It had it's short comings but it was a hard science.

one note here. Biheviorism wasnt actually science, it was more "serious" lets say but not science since it didnt have any theory but was more or less descriptive.

Measuring the number of objects you can grasp in working memory and then making a model of it or making a measurable theory of personality makes a theory and therefore can be approved/dissaproved but with biheviorism you end up with circual reasoning.

psychologist can also have a Psych.D

>mom's feeling down since my dad lost his big factory job a few years back when the burger recession hit the hardest and they had to downgrade their way of life
>tries out therapy
>$100 minimum per hour
>tries out several because even my gullible mom could smell their bullshit
>sticks with one who concinces her all her life's problems were caused by her dad
>my own dad got enough of paying so much for that idiocy and stops

Just a great and costly adventure which amounted to nothing but meaningless family drama

i used to have really bad anxiety. like i was going to kill myself because i couldn't do anything around people without shaking and having a panic attack.

then i started meditating. just 10 minutes everday of sitting down in the dark, closing your eyes, and focusing on your breath. now after a couple of months i barely have any anxiety.

>Just a great and costly adventure which amounted to nothing but meaningless family drama

THIS

dont trust those quackers. Psychology, belive ti or not, can be scientifical (like based IQ test and personaltiy tests + cognitive psychology), while Psychotherpy in most cases is trendy wankery for guillible people.

"Psychoterapist" in most cases dont even track their patients to see how longterm its effect is...its chaos mang, no wonder it is fulled with womyns, I know for first hand.

Therapy can help, but the biggest issue is most therapists/psychologists are fucking useless faggots in it for the bigbux and don't give a shit.

Good job finding one who isn't a faggot. I just came off my overpayed pill popper when that cunt gave me my (((meds))), the guy was such an obnoxious cunt, and I'm guessing legitimately had aspergers or autism. I remember getting in the lift with him one day and that faggot stood nose to the fucking doors the whole trip, I had to try not to burst out laughing at the cunt. He also fucked me around for two days since the cunt didnt update my scripts so I was out of meds before I went to his office three times in a day to get the cunt to do something about it, I was damn near ready to rip his head off by the final trip. Worst part is, he was still a pretty standard psych.

Which is still not a medical degree.
Psychiatrist do, however, usually recommend trying a combination of pharmaceutical and therapy for sustained results.

It's functionally scrub-tier philosophy for people who are unable to perform introspection and judge their problems from a less subjective angle.

It is literally just paying someone to be your confidant so you can unload all of your stupid, shitty ideas and (hopefully) let them tell you that you're wrong.

It's almost incredible that people can be so bad at introspecting on their own.

Actually, therapist don't actually make very much money.

Only way to make a lot of money is private pay, not insurance, and then you can charge whatever people are willing to pay you.

t. actual therapist

there's some perks though, I don't make appointments on Friday's so I only work 4 days a week.

Therapy is horseshit, along with psychiatry

>feeling exhausted all the time, constantly oversleeping and never having the energy to get stuff done
>see psychiatrist, tells me I'm depressed
>doesn't bother to find out why, just gives me anti-depressants and therapy twice a week
>neither of them work
>therapist dies in a car crash on her way to my appointment because she was texting
>see another one
>even more useless
>see another psychiatrist, attempts to do the same shit, I decline all of it
>see a neurologist who specializes in sleep and mood disorders, does sleep study and tells me I have narcolepsy
>gives me Ritalin and Provigil
>doesn't help
>see another neurologist, doesn’t offer any new ideas
>fed up with this shit
>talk to my uncle, a Harvard-educated nephrologist
>reads the report written on my sleep study
>sees that I grind my teeth at night
>presses on the side of my head, which hurts
>entire head and jaw hurts no matter where he presses down
>I now realize that my head and jaw are constantly throbbing, must have gotten used to it so I never noticed it before
>tells me I have TMJ from grinding my teeth and I need to get my teeth x-rayed
>turns out my wisdom teeth are horribly impacted
>get them out, grinding stops, headaches start to diminish
>a year later feeling completely normal and energetic again

tl;dr: a kidney doctor did in 5 minutes what 2 therapists, 2 psychiatrists, and 2 neurologists couldn't do in 5 months

>It's almost incredible that people can be so bad at introspecting on their own.

why Hegel doe? he wasnt very introspective, quite the contrary some would say.

dang son, I belive you. its sad about the state of everything...

Your description sounds like depression, and unless you answer "yes" to being in pain, no one could no to look past the psychiatric symptoms.

However, nephrologists are generally great doctors. That is an underappreciated but difficult medical specialty to study.

I did the EMDR therapy for some anxiety issues. It seemed strange at first, but helped me identify some emotional baggage I was carrying around I didn't realize. It basically digs out the subconscious so you can deal with it consciously.

Only did it for about 6 months and felt much better. If you are going long term and not feeling better, you might want to try something different. Unless you are dealing with some major trauma it shouldn't be a long-term issue.

Most modern psychology isn't totally wrong because a lot of it is just spiritual concepts from the middle ages rebranded with atheist shit

>>therapist dies in a car crash on her way to my appointment because she was texting
wtf

>Most modern psychology isn't totally wrong because a lot of it is just spiritual concepts from the middle ages rebranded with atheist shit

*psychotherapy.

its quasi religious bobbledy gook, with a few good exeptions.

psychology as based IQ test and personaltiy tests + cognitive psychology is actually an independent field.

I know why people are so bad at instrospecting on their own...

Many don't.

It's easier to turn on the radio, get lost in games or netflix, or look at your phone.

I recall reading an article somewhere discussing how people are unwilling to introspect because it makes them uncomfortable and in turn try to avoid it.

Also, self introspection sometimes results in self loathing developing instead - where you examine youself and start hating yourself, and anger/sadness can throw rational though for self-improvement out the window.(This has happened to me, and I'm not even old yet)

I guess that's why we have people that we can express our anxiety to, unlike a friend or family member they won't mock or turn their back on you so long as you pay them :/

>ask therapist what I'm supposed to talk about
>"just b itself :^)"
>talk about random bs for an hour once a week for 3 months
>eventually the guy straight up tells me " you're not ready for therapy"
Like okay but I was never even told what to do

It's more about the fact that he's a melting, disapproving bulldog than any of his actual DIALECTICAL HISTORY stuff. He was more of a systems builder than an introspecter, although his preliminary stuff on ideology and why people do things that make no sense is pretty gr9. Shame Marx had to take it in the direction that he did...

Having a healthy sense of self-loathing is pretty important for improvement, to be honest. You ought to not like the way that you are in certain respects because you could be better --it's just accepting that sometimes it won't happen for various reasons that is the most important caveat.

My main man Schopenhauer literally built a large part of his career on explaining why people hate introspection, and it's pretty much exactly as you described. It makes people uncomfortable to know that we're vapid, shallow creatures who move from desire to desire not really accomplishing anything -- and it's true of more or less everyone.

Easier to lose ourselves in the dance...

Or 'activities' if we're being less poetic.

t. Continental with yet another unintelligible, nonsense theory of everything

Yes.

Freud - jew. His right hand boy right above him, Otto Rank - also jew.

Second most prolific psychoanalytic writer from the most effective psychoanalytic faction, Melanie Klein - jewess. Fairband, Bion and Winnicot - anglos.

Alfred Addler - jew, but converted to christianity.

Anna freud, Rene Spitz and Margaret Mahler - jews.

Eric Fromm - jew.

Wilhelm Reich - jew, yet demanded to be uncomplexly considered a german, and very eagerly against fascism. Alexander Lowen - jew.

Eric Erikson - jew, though his scandinavian influence did add a very western side to him. Kohut - jew.

Lacan - French hardcore academic, deemed a scammer even by psychology backers.

B F Skinner - american, but still the biggest batfuck delusional tabula rasa radical.

But then, they do have massive arsenal of logically connected material, generally spending assloads of time training before heading out to work, so obviously they do have methods for getting results and being helpful often enough, but then it's fuckexpensive.

You'd have better luck in church. The problem with shrinks is they are moral relativists lacking any balls to say 'stop doing that, it's evil'.

Well if you have anxiety issues, taking meds forever is not going to stop your anxiety.

Because what created your anxiety in the first place has a behavioural and psychological cause. Therapists can help you gradually discover those behavioural causes so you can start making changes in your life and so, also make gradual changes in how your emotional brain works.

If you don't get out of your comfort zone and make those life changes, you'll be on meds forever, until your dick shrinks.

I think the important thing is to realize yourself your problems and if you can make a change? At some time I started to think the psychologist didnt understood my feelings or problems, but try to make me realize my problems myself while making few interjections with small questions that sometimes even seemed unrelated. Maybe I just needed someone to tell what I was feeling but where in the world are you going to find someone you can simply tell anything? Time is money. I hope you get better, anxiety really eats the shit out of you.