Agriculture thread

Nothing like some good produce

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iXG9cM5QxgU
ipm.ucanr.edu/TOOLS/TURF/PESTS/inchaf.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Californians and their almonds need not apply

Robot here from Grimes CA

remember to stock up on bullets for when the hungry city dwelling masses starve they will try and steal your shit.

Gunna seed the stolen but worthy...Praise KEK! Corn, beans and farming stuff

>live in So Cal liberal hell hole
>have land though
>experimented growing 14 diff things during winter
>beans only growing

What varieties should I plant during the spring? Stuff I can harvest and can/jar/preserve then repeat until next winter?

Your best bet would be pretty much any kind of vegetable in springtime California. Mainly potatoes peas onions. Possible melons if you wanna mix things up

this thread made me lol

Those mallards are pretty cute

Thanks user

I was thinking herbs (dry and jar)
Beets (jar)
Garlic (jar)
Onions (?)
Carrots (can)
Watermelon (kek)
I have small orchard too, apples, lemons, oranges

Potatoes are the future

Studying for plant breeding phd, some red pilled shit

youtube.com/watch?v=iXG9cM5QxgU

grown at the 50th parallel

Beets are the future

Those are some fine melons you have there,son.
Now let me tell you about the melons from back in my day they grew to the size of a Buick and required four steers to drag back to the the root cellar.

my neighbour spent more time trying to grow a giant pumpkin than i did on my whole garden
then his pumpkin turned to mush, kek

After 7 years I'm not surprised it turned to mush

I can see that happening real easy, was it his first giant pumpkin?

yeah, he paid a good dollar for a few seeds, set up a water tower for a trickle feed, had a mountain of rotten horseshit. It was about 3 feet across when it started collapsing.

Gardening is the ultimate application of autism.
Everyone who calls themselves redpilled should at least grow some of their own food.

timestamp out of whack on pic, lol didnt realize the camera was even that old

Had my first 2 apricots this summer on a tree i grew from seed. Tree was about 8 years old, in a pot for the first 3, then badly eaten by deer repeatedly, and finally got tall enough they couldn`t get at most of it.

What do you guys think of an environmental science degree from a good uni?

Damn that's a nice looking apricot tree. Strange how it hasn't yeilded much fruit though

I have one that roughly 20 years old and it needs support braces every year for the amount of fruit it yields. It's only about 7 ft tall.

alot of my fruit trees flower too early for the bees to be out, it`s usually still so cold that time of spring. Had a bear come and pull one of my apple trees right over this year, wildlife is a real challenge where i am.
pic is yellow plums

Those are some fine looking ducks neighbour.
How does one become a success at duck farming?
All mine flew away cunt. Sad.

You ever consider investing in carpenter bees? When you notice your trees are about to blossom you can wake them up by warming them up.

The only thing that keeps wildlife away is a healthy population of rednecks, if there are none around you then you must become the redneck.

>Pepe rocks a Deere

Based as all flying fuck.

>so cal

how about you grow a dick and fuck yourself with it

If I'm not mistaken the solution to that are lady bugs. You can buy a box of 100, from Amazon of all places, for about $7. Release them anytime to do the job of the bee. Just a thought

aka mason bees? yeah would be neat.
lots of rednecks, but the critters all come and sneak around at night. One morning i heard a mountain lion slowly killing a household cat in the bush about 20ft from my back door, pitch black, but graphic, i know what i heard.
i think they would freeze when i let them go though.

Ok, I'll try

Where you live user?

not faggotsville usa,otherwise known as california

Anyone here have duck experience? Sell me on ducks. Why shouldn't I raise rabbits and chickens instead?

:(

How's apartment life?

I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn I like corn

What type?

have a shit ton in my yard.
Pros: really hardy animal, eat grass and other shit so dont require nearly as much maintainence. Very intelligent and lay eggs with remarkable consistency before 10am. A E S T H E T I C

Cons: Meat not as tasty as chicken
Hard to kill because they are so easy to get attached to
Slightly longer rear times

>Ducks
>Easy to get attached to

Every interaction I've had with a duck has led be to believe they are demons upon the earth. Do they get cute when domesticated?

beter than a dog these things can be trained to duck everyone that enters the property and are louder than any doggo

None of the ones I had the displeasure of knowing were.
Most fowls suck ass and are horrible animals to be around.
Everyone knows geese suck ass but another is peacocks don't trust those fuckers.

In California you actually want to start your climbing (shelling / Little Marvel) peas in the Fall (Fall meaning when it has consistently cooled down to below the high 80s -- i.e. late October).

If you wait until Spring, they don't have enough time to vegetate into tall vines, and they won't produce nearly as much. I would also highly recommend constructing some type of 6-7ft. trellis for them to climb on (can be made out of anything, I used 1x2s and chicken wire).

Right now my winter garden includes lettuce, radish, beets, carrots, parsnips, cabbage, kale, spinach, swiss chard, green onions, mustard greens, brussel sprouts, broccoli, snow peas, sugar snap peas, and shelling peas (all climbing varieties).

Beets and radish finish very quickly (50-65 days) so you can immediately plant more when they're done. I find I can get about 3 waves of these during the winter. But if you want to have a steady supply and not 20 radishes/beets at once, you need to stagger the plantings (plant 10 radishes, wait 2-3 weeks, then plant another 10 somewhere else).

Spring is a great time to plant your herbs (basil, thyme, dill, and oregano are essential). In early Spring you want to plant tomatoes (early as February), corn, more carrots, potatoes, onions, and beans. In late Spring when it has warmed up a bit (80+...April-ish) you can plant okra, squash, peppers, tomatillos, melons, and pumpkins.

Onions can be planted in the spring or fall. They go dormant in the winter and stop growing, but resume growing in the Spring. Works out very nicely for CA winters, and sometimes they finish in the winter if you plant them early enough. Strawberries can also be planted in the fall if the frosts are not too hard.

Just google lots of articles. I try to read 5-6 articles online about each thing I am planting/doing. Once in a while consult planting guides / gardening books.

I mean goose a hors of them aproaching you

do you prune the feathers or do they just not want to leave?

Sweet corn mostly but I'm looking for field corn.

Pretty much

Ducks are not demons, i never knew the joy of owning a duck till i did. They are incredibly loving and affectionate and have a way about them. They are smart enough to figure out most things themselves very quickly and will make a "home" with you, so you do not need to clip their wings (well, if you raise them well).

Geese are bird niggers and all deserve to die however

Probably worthless unless you want to be an academic

ay boys

how's the grain supply been over there in the united states of amerisharts? heard youre very oversupplied at the moment

Can confirm Socal is a hellhole.

>They are smart enough to figure out most things themselves very quickly

except for flying
if they dont learn at a young age they remain flightless retards

tasty too

We pruned the original male and female for more or less obvious reasons (not raised by us). But the rest of the flock can all fly away. They just dont for the most part.

One did and accidentally went in a neighbors yard and got mauled and died. Thats about it.

The males are very happy and there are two brooding females. The other females we have tend to stay on the sidelines.

The main duck (our first) is incredibly affectionate beyond words. The others respond with affection if you call out to them but are cautious and will not walk to you unless you have food.

They have these strange mannerisms that you get accustomed to just like with a dog. Our first duck was raised around a dog and is essentially a guard duck. He is more reliable at hissing (muskovy) than the dog is at barking when people come around.

Its honestly a real pleasure.

Sometimes a dog is too much for me and the duck just fits that niche

Hmm i did not know this. My muskovies all figured out how to fly on their own. Both parents were clipped.

Interestingly the largest male (he is huge, at least 6 kilos) learned to fly only as an adult after he realized flapping long enough could give him some lift. He must have learned from one of the other flyers. Before that the best he could have done was just run around flapping wildly.

they also have some really interesting puberty responses. They get pretty agressive for a bit to other males (and sexual with females) then as they get older, they tend to stop squabbles and accept the order of things without any real pain. There is a kind of respect.

Sai, the big male mentioned above used to run his dad away (his pops was much smaller) and now they really cannot be separated for too long. Everything that pops does Sai tries to do in some capacity.

Maybe im projecting but its really funny watching them go about

Printed and saved with the seeds user

Serisouly thank you

I can't even change my cars oil. How do I homestead?

I've gooogled an watched bunch of YouTube vids, especial the Southern California Gardner. He's mostly potted plants but he is amazing.

Do you have raised beds?

I have amended my soil with metric tons of compost (the property was tilled a bit before I bought it) and is still loamy. Clay--mixed with brown now. Should I start anew with raised beds and soil or preserve with what I have?

where do you live user?

Manitoba

Yard, apartment, land? What are you working with leaf?

Need some help here. I am studying /his/ but I'll inheret my grandpa's farm I suspect. He's been grooming me ever since I was little and slightly throws it in in conversations.

I am more than happy to take on the 125 acres of field + 125 acres of forest.

The thing is, do you in today's day and age need to have studied agriculture in some form, or can you sustain the farm with just a bit of practical experience.

Wow, I am honored. ^_^

Btw Just to clarify ....all those winter crops I listed I am always trying to plant them in the Fall as soon as the temps are just around 80-84 and starting to dip into the 70s occasionally. This is because I am trying to squeeze every ounce out of the ""Winter"" season as I can. Not sure how close to the coast you are down there, but up here in Bakersfield it stays hot fucking forever and doesn't let up until Halloween. And while Spring is nice, it's very short before the blistering long summer sets in again.

Once Halloween arrives, it's go time. Don't wait, get all of those seeds into the ground. You may have a few fussy things not wanting to germinate until it's cooler (brussel sprouts) or the sprouts may succumb to waves of brown/green moth worms. Those can be re-planted a week or two later.

Snails are easy enough to control with the snail bait. But some years you will get heavy winter moth worm invasions like I did this year. There are 2 ways to control it 1) spray the sprouts heavily with a spray containing Spinosad and watch carefully every day for new damage 2) go outside at night or very early morning (when they eat) with a flashlight, find them and smash them (you will either find them eating the sprout, curled up nearby under debris or shallowly tunneled, or sometimes in the corner of your raised beds near the wood).

I mainly used method 2, would find 5-25 worms a night. After a couple weeks of this there were essentially no more worms and my garden has been on auto-pilot since early December. Zero maintenance, I just go outside to harvest things and re-plant more once in a while. But those early Fall wave of worms can be punishing especially because everything is just sprouting.

(P.S. If you are composting make sure it doesn't contain unfinished/active material , and cover it with row cover or something the last few months -- it will keep moths from landing and laying their eggs.)

Right now? Modest suburban land. Last year I grew some carrots and tomatos. Most of the yard is shaded. I want to eventually get some land outside the city and an earthship and all that outdoors crap, but it's a long way off. Right now I'm saving craploads of money every payday.

I love you user

Going to the test garden bed now with flashlight. Will updated with pics in 10 minutes what I find!

I have both. It really depends on how bad the clay is. We have a pretty hard clay loam on our lot (it's like a powdery tan brick when dry) but when amended with plenty of compost it works very well.

Basically you just want to amend it until it no longer forms a brick when it dries. You should be able to push your finger into it easily and the soil will give way, but not completely collapse. You want it loose, but firm....if that makes sense.

It's kind of hard to add *too much* compost but it is possible. Think of it this way: the plant wants soil loose enough that its roots can push through and grow easily, but not so loose that it doesn't hold the plant in place, especially when it's being watered.

Too sandy/compost-filled soil will collapse, and the water will run down holes and waterfalls and not spread around evenly.

If the clay is so bad you can't amend it, then get some "Soil Potting Mix / Raised bed Mix" (whatever they call it) from your local Bulk Yard (this is NOT the soil-less wood chip infested "potting mix" they sell at Home Depot -- this is more like sandy soil + compost that has been sterilized of weeds, they sell it at Bulk Yards).

You just need to work it for a few years before you take over. Learn by doing, user.

Write down what your grandpa says, have him introduce you to any farming buddies, actually work on the farm for a couple of years.

You can do a lot of damage to your land if you don't know what the fuck you are doing.

You do NOT need to attend any shitty college courses or anything. All that Herr Doktor Professor farming is bullshit. Learn from people who actually live their life farming.

Haha, happy hunting! Glad to see fellow Sup Forumsacks get interested in this stuff.

In all seriousness though, study your YouTube vids and gardening books. Controlling insects is going be like 80% your battles. You will have to learn them one at a time and what to do. I am considering building some type of row cover / hoop house things for next year because I am lazy and always trying to find ways to go auto-pilot.

Get a Farmer's Almanac too, just for fun. Don't take it too seriously, but there may be something to it. Maybe it has to do with the Moon phases or something...

>Keeping ducks as livestock
?

one more addendum to this: any excess compost that you add that doesn't either 1) contribute to the soil firmness/looseness you want or 2) is in excess of what the plant can use will ONLY contribute to weeds and increased insect activity (especially if there is unfinished compost present).

I would say add about 2-3 inches of compost to clay that needs heavy amending. Then 1/4-1/8 in successive years.

Again, thank you man for taking the time. I'm on my iPad so plz forgive me posting images,

I found this fucko in my radishes. I smush him but not the earthworms? I'm gonna post more pic but no (you)'s since mobile fag

IT'S HAPPENING.

Yeah definitely smash that slug. Leave the earthworms ( you know that already!!). Sometimes you will find a little thing pink worm, that's an earthworm too.

Your radishes actually look pretty good man. I would also say your compost is at the right level -- it has that nice dark brown with black specks look to it. Try to find a brand of compost that's very fine and dark -- avoid the brands that use too much wood chips as filler. I mean, wood chips are fine for the first year amending a heavy soil, but in successive years for veggies you want the fine black stuff, not wood chips. Wood takes forever to break down and leads to excess Nitrogen when it does.

Another thing you will notice with the worms, they have palettes kind of like a picky human, meaning they will eat the most tender / buttery tasting things first, and only the bitter things if they have to.

So if you have lettuce, that's one of the hardest things to grow because they like eating it so much. Then peas, brussel sprouts, spinach, etc.

Your bitter stuff like radish, mustard, kale, mesculun, etc. will survive a lot easier.

also I could be seeing things, but that kind of looks like one of those grubs

We call them grubs, they're basically the larvae of the "June Beetle"

ipm.ucanr.edu/TOOLS/TURF/PESTS/inchaf.html

Smash these too whenever you see them, they eat the roots your veggies. You don't need to do anything drastic unless you're seeing more than 10 per square foot. 1-4 per square foot is normal. Takes a lot of them to do serious damage.

I'm gonna buy you a beer and like to talk more. Here's my email addy. I'm gonna delete the pic after a few mins.

sounds good to me >_>

happy I could help. It's taken me a few years to get all this stuff down right.

I bet. I have a green thumb but I'm out of my element with this actual property

I'm from BC so an entirely different region so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Seeds - Take some time to pick out some seeds from a reputable dealer. As around at garden events for a good seed dealer with species bred for your region and traits that you'll enjoy.
You can also get seedlings from garden centers, but it's like adopting a kid, they're okay, but deep down you don't love them as much as your real children.

Soil - When you're picking your land, try to get a soil test done, they're cheap and they'll be able to tell you exactly what you need to do to get the best out of your crop. The closer soil is to the ideal balance, the better the plants will grow and the more nutritious they will be. It will also help you rule out a plot of land that will cost too much to make fertile or is flat out unsuitable.

Sun - The more sun you can get the better, living in a valley where mountains block at least 2 hours of sunlight a day sucks ass.

Hydroponics - It's not just for weed, with a good nutrient solution you grow pretty much anything. It can be as simple as a fountain pump, some PVC pipes and a reservoir. If you take the time to research and invest in an outdoor setup I guarantee you it will be the most productive part of your garden.

Here's some more general advice because I'm drunk and it's late:
Don't start seeds indoors on the windowsill unless they have artificial light supporting them. It makes the seedling focus more on reaching for what light it can get than on growing leaves.
A big compost pile is bigger than a lot of little ones.
Arugula tastes like latex gloves.

BTW, it was a grub which is crazy you spotted? It's raining crazy but I went back out to find that slug. No luck.

Going go back out and post moar