Question about the fall and rise of civilization

What makes civilizations rise and fall in such a cyclical, constant, way? I say this, because if you look at the the characteristics of our civilization and that of the past, you'll see dramatic changes. But there always seems to be those core underlying elements that go awry and screw the pooch. What is that element? Is it ignorance, degeneracy? Why can't we overcome cycles with all the info that fills the infosphere in what we call the modern age?

Other urls found in this thread:

people.uncw.edu/kozloffm/glubb.pdf
google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=#&ved=0ahUKEwjX2Nz2y77RAhXk64MKHd5fBL0Qxa8BCBowAA&usg=AFQjCNF1sHlk2z9QIx28jtvfnGP_UlkifA&sig2=jBfK-E1kmi4I_-h72SEi3Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

americans are incapable of comprehending the concept of civilization or anything so this is pretty pointless my friend sorry

just a natural process

an american asked the question

pay debnts

also, enjoy

people.uncw.edu/kozloffm/glubb.pdf

Read Tainter's "The collapse of complex societies"

Regarded as the prime text on this

Stay away from that fucking hack Jared Diamond like the plague

that's probably a virus

Haven't you people been subjects for over half a thousand years? Does that somehow give perspective on civilization when you have none?

Watch this: google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=#&ved=0ahUKEwjX2Nz2y77RAhXk64MKHd5fBL0Qxa8BCBowAA&usg=AFQjCNF1sHlk2z9QIx28jtvfnGP_UlkifA&sig2=jBfK-E1kmi4I_-h72SEi3Q

I hope not, it's a PDF and I just downloaded it. Seems legit for another days read

In our time all Greece was visited by a dearth of children and generally a decay of population, owing to which the cities were denuded of inhabitants, and a failure of productiveness resulted, though there were no long-continued wars or serious pestilences among us. If, then, any one had advised our sending to ask the gods in regard to this, what we were to do or say in order to become more numerous and better fill our cities,—would he not have seemed a futile person, when the cause was manifest and the cure in our own hands? For this evil grew upon us rapidly, and without attracting attention, by our men becoming perverted to a passion for show and money and the pleasures of an idle life, and accordingly either not marrying at all, or, if they did marry, refusing to rear the children that were born, or at most one or two out of a great number, for the sake of leaving them well off or bringing them up in extravagant luxury. For when there are only one or two sons, it is evident that, if war or pestilence carries off one, the houses must be left heirless: and, like swarms of bees, little by little the cities become sparsely inhabited and weak. On this subject there is no need to ask the gods how we are to be relieved from such a curse: for any one in the world will tell you that it is by the men themselves if possible changing their objects of ambition; or, if that cannot be done, by passing laws for the preservation of infants.

-Demetrius II., son of Antigonus Gonatas.

-Pseudophilippus, after cutting to pieces a Roman legion under the praetor Juventius, was conquered and captured by Q. Caecilius Metellus in B. C. 148 (Livy, Ep. 50; Eutrop. 4, 6).

Hard times make strong men.
Strong men make soft times.
Soft times make weak men.
Weak men make hard times.

no
but haven't you?
only you americans know how it not to have civilization i believe
nobody else has that problem, really

ahh its money and currency essentially

>human history can be summed up in a single platitude
xD

But it can and is.

>What makes civilizations rise and fall in such a cyclical, constant, way?
They don't. It's pareidolia indulged in by hack historians who want to see simplistic patterns in everything and/or confirm their existing political biases.

This is one view.

Another hypothesis is that Civilization goes through a "seasonal" cycle every 80-100 years based on a generational "changing of the guard".

Every cycle consists of four seasons: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter. Every winter there is a "crisis" during which the fate of that civilization is decided. Either the Civilization survives and becomes even stronger during the new spring, or it fails and goes into decaying spiral.

If you want to read more on this start with "The Fourth Turning"

I've heard Steve Bannon is a fan.

xD

>>>/reddit/

Decadence and decay vs righteousness and purpose.

said the greek, 3 civilisations rised and fall in the same cyclical way.
ancient greece, macedonian greece, byzantine empire.

>No niggers:
Civilization flourishes.
>Niggers show up:
Civilization collapses.