AMERIPOORS CAN'T HANDLE A $500 EMERGENCY

>While the jobless rate is down and wages are up, most Americans nevertheless remain one misstep away from a financial crisis. Fifty-seven percent of Americans don’t have enough cash to cover a $500 unexpected expense, according to a new survey from Bankrate, which interviewed 1,003 adults earlier this month.

cbsnews.com/news/most-americans-cant-afford-a-500-emergency-expense/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iGiefe5NP_M
carecredit.com
youtu.be/t6qF5NU-ehU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No shit, that's why I voted Trump.

the only reason the jobless rate is down is because full time jobs became part time jobs.

Don't they have "cash loan now" type of business?
youtube.com/watch?v=iGiefe5NP_M

Wife and I could take about 20k on the chin..it would hurt, but we could swing it.

Thanks obama

Too many people like to live way above their means, when they finance things like homes or cars they only pay attention to the monthly payment, they don't even think about retirement which is frightening. They think it is pointless to save but don't think twice about spending 5 fucking bucks on a coffee.

This boggles my mind, even though I'm in debt up to my neck with a family of 4, I could still scrounge up $500.

I am an upper middle class fucking white male though, enjoying his privilege.

It's true. And fairly pathetic. I'm not even particularly well off but I still keep enough money in the bank to handle emergencies.

One of my subordinates fucked up his finances so bad he couldn't handle $200 in travel expenses TEMPORARILY that he would even be refunded later. I wasted 4 working hours on his shit costing my company about $800 in lost productivity total.

Your skank wife takes my black load on her chin fgt

Shouldn't even be an issue your trash company should be giving him an expense card or an in advance per diem

Yes Timmy, when you grow up and leave your mother's house, you'll quickly realize that $500 is a lot.

I don't expect Sup Forums to know or sympathize seeing as most here are degenerate alt-right NEETs who live with their parents.

I don't even have anything that would cost $500 to fix
I have insurance so an ER trip would only be like $200

Read the article, it's "without going into debt".
Jesus, with six figures of debt myself, worrying about going into debt for $500 is fucking laughable.

I'm part time, trying to scrape paycheck to paycheck.
Needing $500 out of the blue would turn my shit upside down real quick, thanks for making me sweat for a second over that scenario OP

Yes they do. They also have at least one credit card company that only does medical expenses. Don't think it's excepted by all medical practices but it's pretty good.
carecredit.com

Those are scammy as fuck.

Just get a credit card for emergencies like that. Be sure to pay it off though, and only use it for emergencies.

>just an ER trip
>$200
>he says that as if it wasn't a lot
Y-you're kidding, right?

Kek I told my nigger coworker the other day I couldn't believe she didn't have $250 for her kid's daycare. If you are an adult human and you don't have at least $1000 to not give a fuck about, you have failed.

if you can't afford a $200 drop AND you don't have friends or family to loan you a measly $200 you should not be living on your own

Everyone knows Americans are shit at saving. Their whole culture is based on mindless spending.

Get a credit card, anyone that hits up friends or family (other than parents) is a piece of shit. Stand on your own goddamn legs.

yeah they are for nigs so shit that they cant go to the bank and ask for a 1k loan

$200 is nothing

>american under the age of like 40 not having a maxed out credit card 100% of the time

That's a different matter entirely.

No, it's a lot for a simple visit to the ER.

im 21 years old, preparing to transfer to community college this fall and I already have several thousand in an IRA and come fall I'll have enough to pay for the entire first quarter at the UC of my choice thus activating the deal with my parents for them to pay for the rest. I'll be graduating from a top tier university debt free with my retirement plan already fairly padded. Get cucked poorbros

>John just asked me for $300 again! Goddamn we used to be friends but I can't stand this mooch anymore.

I'm sorry br but in america if you have good health care ERs are actually good
I have been to the ER twice for myself and once with my dad and I think the combined wait time for all 3 visits was under 1 minute, and they were all in the middle of the day
you get what you pay for

All things considered, it's still pretty expensive. I have good health care and I've been to the ER many times. Waited a matter of a few minutes, and didn't have to spend a dime. Exactly, my health care covered the entire trips. And that's not to mention I live in a third world shithole.

I have a shit tier government job with no realistic promotion prospects, probably forever, and I probably have more than that kind of cash just laying around the house in places I don't even remember.

There are people where I work who make nearly twice what I make who live paycheck to paycheck.

How fucking hard is it to cultivate a habit to live just one small notch below your means?

>How fucking hard is it to cultivate a habit to live just one small notch below your means?

its like getting five starred on a third degree sunburn

Depends, what's your life difficulty level?
Owning a house and having kids throws a lot more unexpected and known costs your way. If I was living easy mode (no kids, single) I'd be wiping my ass with money.

youtu.be/t6qF5NU-ehU

Povvos

99.9 percent bullshit. The inference that you have a father is the closest thing here to truth.

The quality of care in ERs is fine. Waits are always long though (not "what's the point" long, but more like "forget about your evening plans" long) and even Cadillac HC policies have high co-pays for ER visits.

"where people buy guns to kill others, especially children"
fakken lost

Honestly I am so thankful to be relatively financially secure. I have about 5k in savings, about 90k in capital equity in my house and probably another 10k in liquidisable assets. Add another 15k credit limit across a couple of cards and I could handle most financial events.

I'd prefer my cash savings to be higher but I keep splashing out on things I've wanted for a while.

Americans are always blowing their money on stupid shit.

And by stupid shit I mean cars and houses. Seriously I know people who's car is the same as their yearly income.

From an economic perspective, your scenario is no different from racking up $10K cruises on credit cards on a $17K salary.

You may think your that choices are better than that, but the outcome is the same. You have no backup plan if things go wrong.

Nevertheless, those are choices that you make. The fact that you left it to me to point that out is the fundamental flaw in your perspective, and why so many people in such a wealthy country are in such dire economic straits. Zero accountability.

My company tries to pull this shit and I tell them the same thing, "It's not within my current financial plan to pay for X". Whether its travel expenses or a fucking USB thumb drive, it's not happening.

Friends and family should help each other in need. You sound like an unlikable person.

I am middle class and I do not know one single person that could not shit $500.00 if they have to.
>CBS

oh faker news never mind

Heh. My car isn't even worth what I just paid for rear struts.

I look out in the parking lot where I work though and see plenty of examples of what you're saying.

>No, it's a lot for a simple visit to the ER.

the fuck kind of magical insurance do you have?

I got in a car accident and had a $200 bill for liquid stitches and a $500 bill for the ten-minute ambulance ride.

I always have emergency money in my savings but the older I get and the more expenses I have, the harder it is to keep that up. My car constantly fucking sucks up a fuckton of money for unexpected tune-ups like new wheels or a broken part.

this guy gets it.

>$500 bill for the ten-minute ambulance ride.

Top kek what the fuck m8

I don't deny that they are choices I've made, and I can most surely handle shit that comes up, I live a pretty great life. Nice assumptions though, I'm sure there's plenty of pleb americans that fit that bill.

I've questioned people on this and they refuse to see anything wrong with it.

>bill you make $35k a year do you really need to buy a new crossover, that's like you're whole income right?
>yeah but I like to go on vacation with the family
>bill how much shit are you bringing to cape cod for the weekend let's be real here

Friends and family are to be respected, they have problems to deal with too. You sound like a needy person.

That's not because they don't make enough money, it's because they're millennials and are fucking retarded with their money and constantly blow it on stupid shit like eating out, drinking, and toys.

T. millennial with a crappy job and a few thousand in savings

If you can't float a couple days meals and a hotel for reimbursement, the company needs to question whether it's in their interest to have you as an employee. That's the message.

Demanding advances for petty travel expenses and refusing direct deposit for paychecks are defining characteristics of untrustworthy employees.

The media should be writing stories about people like you then, showing what it looks like when you get it right, instead of these stories of middle class paycheck to paycheck woes.

Americans see that most people have shit domestic money management skills and don't say to themselves "boy, I never want to be like that." We take from that instead that since most people manage their money poorly, then it must be okay.