ITT: Admit your most embarrassing geographical ignorance

ITT: Admit your most embarrassing geographical ignorance
>Never knew Ireland was separate from northern Ireland
>Thought Portugal was in South America until I was 16

Other urls found in this thread:

railjournal.com/index.php/main-line/trenitalia-cuts-sicily-train-ferries.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>i thought america was releveant because all off movie propaganda

Literally meme the nation, low IQ, obese, 75% non white, know only one language and its not theirs...

your country looks like it's getting penetrated

I once thought that Sweden was not a Middle Eastern country.

American Education thread?

america is the annexed jewish puppet state

When I was younger and played Medal of Honor on PS1 I thought America was where Russia is

Oh....

Make me sad...Shit

>Thought Portugal was in South America until I was 16

Factually it might not be but it really should be. It can take Spain with them.

What's the graph communicating?

I knew where all of the countries were and I knew their capitals, same with the US states. Got to the state level in the geography bowl back in 8th grade. All this knowledge hasn't been too helpful overall.

>be 2006
>be me, studying abroad in Barcelona
>go to Germany for World Cup
>travel with Russian friend who "took 4 years of German in High School"
>russian friend buys train tickets back to Barcelona
>get on train to go back for classes
>train boards boat
>go above deck
>be surrounded by water
>train is on ferry to Sicily
>mfw Barcelona is also a fishing town in Sicily

pic related

Percentage of people who say x country contributed most to ww2 win by year.

Right after the war everyone said it was the Russians, but with time Murrican propaganda took over.

>I knew where all of the countries were and I knew their capitals, same with the US states by 3rd grade*

I have no idea where Yugoslavia is, I assume all Russians are drunk guys who squat and I still to this day don't know why Northern Ireland is separate from Ireland.

>train boards boat
wut

>Never knew Ireland was separate from northern Ireland"

yeah we're working on that

nad stop calling it northern ireland, its occupied ulster

My entire life I thought Argentina was located somewhere northwest in south america, where Colombia and Venezuela are.
>mfw looking up where it actually is

Explain (to Americans) why it's separate, from your perspective, not Wikipedias.

I thought there was a border between Greece and Turkey, turns out they are the same country.

I got confused about Latvia and Liberia and thought Latveria was a real place.

as time went on, more people credited the fall of nazi germany to the americans, when they infact did fuck all

>take out their greatest ally in the war with double atomic bombs
>more money spent than any other country
>Russia sabotaged the war just to keep it alive

sure, propaganda

because that cucked spaniard sent a cork lad to negotiate

>railjournal.com/index.php/main-line/trenitalia-cuts-sicily-train-ferries.html

I thought Doha was the capital of Bahrain until today.

I am a member of mensa, hold masters degree in finance, I have a wide range of knowledge in many subjects, however I have a defect. I absolutely suck at geography. It's actually quite hilarious.

Up until few days ago I thought Greenland is Antarctica and Arctic was in the south.

I suck at maps, I can barely find anything else but my own country and couple of neighbour countries, and I thought Egypt is in Asia.

Didn't know where exactly are Ireland,N. Ireland, Wales,Scotland till i was like fucking 17.

Also ex-yugoslavian states really gave me a headache till about that same age

American travel sucks so much.
>tfw I will never get to live in Europe due to marrying into a powerful DC political socialite family. Europeans marrying into the family from Denmark talk about how great Washignton DC is, doesn't know anything about the rest of the country, probably never will.
I just want to move to Ireland where my family is from. But you guys wouldn't want another immigrant burger.

Long time i thought Washington D.C. was in the state Washington.

I can show you where western states, canada, mexico, russia and china are. Some western euro countries. But Ive never really given a fuck about geography or viewed it as a sign of enlightenment.

1. Its easily available data so I have no reason to memorize it.
2. I dont give a fuck about any state that isnt Idaho or Montana, so why do I need to know where they are on a map, given point #1? Also applies to other countries. I couldnt care less. Am I travelling there? Curious about a significant news event there? No? Then they're irrelevant to me. Useless information.

Now, as for local geography, I know the entire immediate region because north Idaho is my backyard. Can even name some of the lesser known mountains and tiny forgotten pseudo-townships...because theyre relevant to my life, and kts useful to know.

Underrated

The only South American countries I could name on a map are Mexico and Argentina.

I'm an idiot.

>South American countries I could name on a map are Mexico
It shows

I never knew that Belgium was a real country.

it isint

When I was younger I didn't know South Padre Island was part of Texas.

This is why the world thinks you are all retarded.

Ironic not knowing there are 2 Ireland, as your stupidity probably comes for Irish genetics

>(((European russia)))

>Mexico
>South America
What did he mean by this?

I thought Jamaica was near Australia until I was like 19.

I have none. If you cannot locate and name every country in the world while looking at a map (besides Oceanic islands), you don't belong here.

lol I just bought a 23andme kit a couple months ago. I'm eastern european, and lack of geography knowledge is due to public schools here not giving a fuck about the rest of the world. Any learning of it would have to come independently. So I'm sorry I don't look at maps in my spare time

Up until 10 maybe 11 years I thought we were actually next to Brazil, since people talked so much about it

I thought Great Britain and England were the same thing till High School. I thought Scotland and Rep. Ireland and Wales were separate entirely.

they arent the same thing?

>for public speaking 101 we had to give a 5min presentation on something we were passionate about
>my idea was to hold up a blank map and name every country except for the pacific and caribbean islands
>forgot french guyana and someone noticed

I knew Belgium and the Netherlands were close to Germany but I never knew where.
I also used to think Hungary was some arid place somewhere in Central Asia.

>eastern boarder of Israel isn't straight
REEEEE

Criminally underrated le gem

I mean I only thought England was GB and nothing else.

Ireland's IQ is two points below Russia and our living standards are way way better. Russians live like pigs and live like rats.

*think like pigs and live like rats.

>didn't know Northern Ireland was actually part of UK. Thought it was just a formality or a title

>(2002) accidentally studied for a world geography test with a soviet era encyclopedia world map, so I couldn't name half of the Balkans and added Soviet Republic to Ukraine and the Baltics. Teacher laughed when I showed her

rossiya ce evropa

Thought that the Luftwaffe was some area in germany

you still don't know that Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan are West Asia, not Europe

Thought New Zealand were those islands north of Australia until recently.

I didn't realize that Greenland is not a sovereign state and is some sort of weird Danish protectorate until recently.

I also used to get Greenland and Iceland mixed up, but I think that is more acceptable since that was (if I recall correctly) the intent when naming them.

There's plenty of toilet scrubbers in Ireland now from Eastern Europe. I bet most of those Russophobes with Irish flag here were not even born in Ireland. It's just too fanatical. Could be cockhole.

Occupied by whom?

holy shit, I didn't realise that Israel is technically Asia
I always thought it was in Africa, closer to where Algeria and Morocco actually are

Used to think Greenland was part of Canada.

>ITT: Admit your most embarrassing geographical ignorance

I don't have any, I had a proper education.

Never knew Luxembourg existed. Thought North and South Korea were below China

I don't think I have much problems with knowing where everything is, but if I look on a map of Sweden, then I am lost.. kidnapped and killed.

Rossiyane ce kitachi i monholi

Actually never had a problem with geography since my dad traveled throughout the world and took me with him

I hate America more than anyone but Battle of the Bulge faggot. We stifled the last gasp of the Nazi Western effort, which WAS making headway.

I always think the equator is further north, more like the tropic of cancer; there's like no land in the southern hemisphere

>literally had no idea that Russia had a non-contiguous oblast
>thought Greece was in Northern Europe for a while
>thought Sweden was Swedish, not a Somalian satellite
>thought Moldova declared independence from modern-day Ukraine
>thought Finland was occupied by the Finnish people, not Mongolians

well, they kind of are. North Korea's northern border is with China.

I've always thought that ukraine is independent and not another region of Russia.

I didnt know that scandinavians are actually mongolians

I know geography very well, I figure that if you want to understand politics, culture and whatnot it's best to start with geography. I will admit that my African geography is shit though and often times I have trouble with the Balkans.

Only problem that ive ever had in geography was that i mixed up Nauru and Tuvalu when i was 12

>I thought America's capital is Jew York
>I still mix up the Baltics' capital cities.
>I'm still pretty bad at remembering most African counties' capitals

Also, people look at me like I'm a wizard when I answer some "obscure" geography question without the use of google.

Most Americans are ignorant as fuck when it comes to geography. It's shameful.

I thought Germany still existed.

;_;

True. Now that I think about it.

used to belive that NYC was the us capital and Sydney is the Aus capital

I thought Louis Armstrong and Louis Armstrong were the same person until I was 10.

say what now?

>ITT: Admit your most embarrassing geographical ignorance

I forget whereabouts Athens is in Greece.

>Japan
>Greatest ally
>Topkek.jpg
Japan was almost as worthless as fucking Italy, all they did was rape a bunch of Chinese people and bring USA officially into the war. Also
>Japan forced to capitulate because of nukes maymay
The Japanese were so fucking insane that, if not for Soviets literally retaking Manchuria days before the nuking, Japan would've continued fighting even after the nukes. And they had a biological weapon ready for deployment against the United States, it was planned to be sent around 2 weeks after the war had ended. If not for Soviets, California would basically be a barren fucking wasteland today because it was the target. Fucking educate yourselves, Americucks did fuck all during the entire war, the only thing you should be credited for is spending a fuckton of money to keep the Brits alive. Other than that, you might as well never have even joined.
The based leaf is right, USA did fuck all, even Canada had more per capita deaths than America

Also
>Russia sabotaged the war just to keep it alive
Meanwhile in the real world Stalin was BEGGING the west to open a new front and it took them until fucking 1945 when the USSR was already pushing into Nazi Germany to do so. You were fucking WORTHLESS

same here lol. Probably I could drive from New York to LA without a map. But I am always lost in parts of my hometown that i don't know

>more dead = getting shit done
Slav logic

had no idea where madagascar is until i learned that hitler wanted to deport jews there

When I was little I thought Eastern Europe was black and white. Like life in those countries was just in shades of gray and there was no color.

You weren't wrong.

I have no idea how to pronounce Des Moines

True

>tought Barcelona was in Brazil until 15

I'm 100% convinced that Svalbard was an addition due to dimensions colliding, along with the Berenstain/Berenstain shit.

me too brother, by fourth grade I was levitating around the classroom but then these spooks came and injected me with autism, now I'm just like you

Without massive support from the Americans, the Soviets would have lost.

Who helped the Americans? Oh, yeah, nobody.

Deh Moyn