Is it reasonable to assume that even if I use a VPN the government is reading and tracking all of my activities?

Is it reasonable to assume that even if I use a VPN the government is reading and tracking all of my activities?

I use firefox with ublock origin, no script, and a vpn. I don't use a VM or take steps to conceal my MAC address.

I can hide my activity from my ISP but I imagine the government is much more sophisticated.

Other urls found in this thread:

gist.github.com/joepie91/5a9909939e6ce7d09e29
youtube.com/watch?v=e1w6irNav4s
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4120636/Woman-pleads-not-guilty-framing-husband-s-ex-menacing-stalker-arranged-fake-rape-fantasy-ad-Craigslist.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Use a free vpn service and connect to it via tor.

To hide the fact that you are connecting to tor, use a vpn.

router that uses vpn: =

tor: -

your tor connected vpn" **

your ip: ~~

==========================
--------------------------------
*************************** (what everyone else sees)
---------------------------------
===========================

Yes, in fact use of a VPN will get their attention faster. They can still subpoena your data from anyone, or perhaps they've already compromised your VPN provider.

So your ISP only sees =

The VPN only sees -

tor only sees *

* can't see ~~ but instead sees -.
- can't see ~~ but instead sees =.

= sees your IP, but can't tell what is going on.

bump

Use paid VPN services from eastern europe, problem solved.

Yes. You need to do like Trump says and don't send things electronically. You get a courier to deliver them

Why do you care?

Oh right, you want to look at cp.

>these words I don't understand

Sigh. I've become my parents. Time to get a job and pay for my shit...

gist.github.com/joepie91/5a9909939e6ce7d09e29

Here's something that will activate your almonds

Not to mention tor itself uses a 3 hop system (proxy chaining) as well as 3 layers of encryption.

So with my model you are looking at 5 layers of encryption.

I suggest that the VPN you use for your router be extremely fast and use only a thin layer of encryption. The point is not to have unbreakable encryption, it is to have so many barriers that attempting to break it seems pointless.

You use a VPN to make your traffic look like it's coming from Germany, you trade your home government spying on you for the German government spying on you.
Just use a VPN from a country that doesn't have close ties to yours.

No need to hide your MAC address, nobody past your router sees that.

Free VPNs are basically the worst thing you can use.
They're publicly run for free, so the people doing it might have shifty motives, and unlike Tor the VPN can see both your traffic and your IP address instead of just either or.

I don't look at CP, I simply don't want intelligence agencies to have a complete picture of my activties online. Your activities are your thoughts and your thoughts are you. They are building hologram personalities of every person connected to the internet. When this network is sophisticated enough, they will be able to run simulations of how various actions will percolate through social media. The Kony 2012 was a landmark experiment of this system. So quite soon, they will not try something they know will fail, they will succeed because they'll run it through their hologram person test environment.

>Free VPNs are basically the worst thing you can use.

Hence hiding who is connecting to it via tor.

>vpn can see both your traffic and the ip

Top layer vpn only sees encrypted traffic from constantly changing IP (tor)

Bottom layer vpn only sees traffic, but not where it is coming from

My method works.

I don't think it's reasonable at all to assume that the government gives a shit at all about your shitposts.

Also top layer vpn sees my IP. But only the random IP addresses I connect to. The encryption remains until it reaches my computer.

You are really overestimating intelligence agencies.

They just log whatever sites your direct IP is going to and store it in a huge database.

Sure, they have the capability to see through VPNs and TOR but unless you are terror suspect numero uno, they will never use ressources on you.

>capability to see through tor and vpn

This isn't magic. They don't. They have to break specific service providers or subpoena them for access. They don't automatically just get access.

VPNs usually send encrypted traffic, most i've seen do it via openssl
it's impossible* to track
*- however the VPN providers could have logs to track your connections, so use logless VPN providers such as IPVanish or Private Internet Access

also you don't need to have a vpn to make sure your traffic is unreadable. https already does it for you. just have sure you don't visit http websites and use plugins like https everywhere

I only bother using a VPN the download shit.
Pain in the ass to use it all the time because google are cunts who block me from receiving my email via thunderbird when I've got it enabled.
Only really use Tor for darknet stuff because of the damn CAPTCHAs, but I'm a big supporter

Use a nested VPN and for.

How? Run VMware

Inside there you use tor and a VPN. From outside of VMware connect to another VPN service

Hide your tor connection with a proxy you rented via bitcoins.

Or go rent a 2 USD/mo vps and turn it into a private proxy.

LOL. Probably only Ukraine and African countries' intelligence services don't have access to all this data already. lrn2 PRISM

>They don't automatically just get access
intelligence agencies do, but they need a court order to be able to admit it for any legal process

>Implying that you are important enough to warrant attention from the government.

The government tracks all unregistered telepaths.

>telepaths

Disable ipv6 and use a vpn that doesn't keep logs, like pia. That's it.

Dumbfuck, look at the companies that participate in PRISM. (which isn't even relevant)

If you use layered encryption from multiple services in an arrangement like then you are fine.

That will literally do nothing.

You could make a shitpost on a Raspberry Pi that's connected over WiFi to a smart TV that's connected to a PC that transmits internet upstream via a connection 56K modem that is behind a VPN and 3 VirtualBox instances...and I guarantee you the NSA would still be able to get your dox instantly.

pic very related

Your arrangement makes no fucking sense. Of course they would catch you if you had a network architecture like that.

>Disable ipv6
why?

It can leak. Some speculate its only purpose is to make people easier to track.

thanks shady user

Do I look like I know hwat a jpeg is?

Or.. you know.. deal with the fact that we're basically out of unallocated IPv4 addresses

IPv6 was made because IPv4 ran out of IP blocks to assign countries.

Unless IPv6 is a protocol (it isn't) then you can still hide it just like IPv4.

The reason you need to disable IPv6 is because some services may request you default to IPv6 over IPv4. So if you use a vpn you leak IPv6.

That's only my guess though.

Or.. you know.. not "only" purpose

Yes, let's not suppose a false dichotomy, k guis? Go ahead and look into it yourself. I've personally experience ipv6 leaks.

So it seems like I need to use a VM and two VPNs. One VPN inside the VM and one outside.

Is this correct?

THREAD THEMESONG:

youtube.com/watch?v=e1w6irNav4s

Get a tibet VPN that only accept payment in yach milk

indisputible

Don't use VM's unless you know what you're doing.

It's easiest to just configure your router, then if you want buy a raspberry pi and configure it to use the second layer of vpn.

Then connect your laptop to the raspberry pi as a gateway. That way you don't have to set this shit up every time you want to use it.

also you should add the use of tails if this guy actually needs more protection.

A VPN is like putting your head under the sheets, unless you really know what you're doing it's not going to really help. The UK and US have unlimited spying power now, they are far more advanced than most home users.

At the very least you want to get a VPN that's not in a country friendly to the US.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4120636/Woman-pleads-not-guilty-framing-husband-s-ex-menacing-stalker-arranged-fake-rape-fantasy-ad-Craigslist.html

Tails just uses tor you idiot. I already implemented tor in my model.

Just use nice addons and shit to protect yourself.

Spoof your user agent, https everywhere, disable tracking shit, and have self-destructing tabs and you're all set.

Also you need to have the addon to make your browser reset itself as though it's newly installed on every startup.

Also install the browser in sandboxie if you use windows.

This, it's kind of why Malaysian proxies or Indian proxies are the best.

You would have to do something really fucked up for them to turn you over.

If you are stealing wifi you need to spoof your mac. Make sure to use a usb 2.0 wifi antenna because usb 3.0 transfers hardware ID automatically

>PIA
Hello FBI!

Well, you correctly certainly ascertained that I'm a noob at this. I've been on chans for a decade and I've over the years I've felt the slow ominous specter of my lack of technological prowess creeping up on me. I just want to shitpost and commit thoughtcrime in peace, and now I feel compelled to protect myself.

What can I google to find detailed steps to setup the type of system you are describing?

Can people encrypt code into .png? Computer newfag here, try to touch down on what is toxic, what isn't... .png is toxic, YES?

Your MAC address doesn't matter, it's only visible to your local network

If you are going to google that stuff then you should use someone elses wifi.

Why? The NSA uses a system of building/flagging profiles based on what you search (This is where PRISM comes into play)

Google, "how to build tor raspberry pi router"

Google, "how to connect router to vpn"

Then, for the raspberry pi, google, "how to use vpn"

Also for the 2nd layer vpn I suggest you google VPNGATE (free academic vpn)

For the 1st layer vpn you could just buy a vps (I suggest OVH) and google, "how to set up a vpn server on Ubuntu"

it matters if he is stealing wifi

Can you explain to a semi-retard why 1 layer of VPN isn't enough?

They're going to track you regardless. Might as well do what you can to shake them off.

>implying the tracking isn't automated
>implying they don't have the money and resources to track everyone
Sorry, but you're not safe by any means, tripfriend.

I have a VPS with OpenVPN running. I just use it because the VPS has a 100Gb/s line compared to my 20Mb/s line. So torrenting is insanely fast on it. The OpenVPN is really just for shits and giggles since I know it adds 0 privacy

Let's say you don't do anything but use a vpn.

Then your ISP can't see your traffic, only the bandwidth consumption and the IP you connect to (the vpn).

That only protects you from your ISP and possibly from some 3rd party services that want to track you.

However if the govt sees this IP after (for example) you hack into something, then they just need to order the VPN service to hand it over. If they aren't within the US or an ally then they just have informants break into it.

The point isn't to have 2 VPNs as much as you need a 3 hop system (that's why tor is designed the way it is).

You use the top VPN layer to hide what you are doing from your ISP.

You use the second layer (tor or encrypted proxy) to hide what you are doing from the first VPN.

The second layer (tor or proxy) can't see where data is actually coming from or what the data actually is. It is only passing encrypted data between proxies.

The third layer vpn can see your traffic, but not where it comes from.

Now let's go back to the govt scenario. They get logs from the 2nd VPN and now arrive at a proxy/tor. There are no logs and no way to trace it back to the person.

The second vpn is also great because it hids the fact that you use tor. So you don't get captcha'd and flagged across the internet.

Another benefit of the first vpn layer is that it hides the use of tor, which flags you with an ISP and gets you put on a watch list.

Don't take the watch list so seriously, you get put on it for almost anything.

Let's say you visit a website that is outside of the US, you're now on a watch list.

Let's say the site is within the US but has ads from another country, well you indirectly visited the site. You're now on a watch list.

Know a cousin that knew a guy that lived next door to a terrorist 10 years ago? You're now on a watch list.

Didn't know the cousin that knew the guy, etc? You're still on the watch list.

Shh, don't tell anyone but I'm gonna save your flag anyway

That makes sense

But the whole govt having informants break in to get my log history angle

If I'm just shitposting and don't want to have my IP to be directly fished into a huge database, 1 layer is enough right?

The fact that you use the VPN gets you on a watch list.

If you want to use a VPN, but don't want to be on a watch list, then buy a vps and set up a vpn server.

Make sure the VPN server is within the US and then have it forward traffic to the vpn of your choosing.

That should be fine for you.
....just noticed you aren't in the US. You have a different set of rules in your country. You're logged no matter what, just use a vpn outside of your country that resides in a country not friendly to Denmark.

So if you are not using a vpn to access tor then everything is fine right

no

Based Cyprus.

They don't, simple as that.

They gather so much data they have no idea what to do with it, so they store it. And use different algorithms to pour through the data. They find a red flag and they might investigate further, but they don't have the resources to check every single person on the internet.

Not to mention that if they actually want to get to a proxy that is say in germany, they need to get the data from wherever it is, and to get the data they need the approval of the government of the country the servers are.

If the person in question is someone spreading "terrorism" and "hatespeech" i suppose they might even press further.
But using tor for example gives you adequate protection to shitpost, because the government would have to cut through so much red tape that it wouldn't make it worthwhile.

The government and the forces spying aren't some superhuman hacker gods, and they certainly don't have the key to every software and server on the world.

i can see now

You can also do timing analysis. It would surprise me if the NSA, GCHQ and friends didn't do that to VPN services all the time, especially on the shadier VPN services.

>leaf

Yeah, it's real. Of course the best solution is to develop an immaculately clean spirit. I'm working on that but in the mean time I've chosen to investigate methods for shielding myself.

Hard to say what the NSA/CIA can actually see or not.

But for sure using a VPN puts another few check marks in your file. Raises you up a level, etc. They'll be more interested in your regular traffic now.

If you are using Windows or Mac OS, then yes, obviously you're being tracked. I'm just going to assume you're not quite that incompetent and therefore that you're using Linux.
VPNs are good, not great.
If you want more security than a VPN, use Tor.
If you want more security than Tor, use TAILS.
If you want more security than TAILS... stop using the Internet.

>t. pedo

>thinking https provides anonymity
lulz
Yes, by all means use https. But use that to hide from the kid next door using a packet sniffer, not to keep your traffic private from your ISP or the feds.

The Feds have all kinds of back doors built into hardware and software, it's a fucking joke.

All major tech companies are collaborators with the US government, desu it's pretty damn hard to hide on the internet.

Best off just not using it to avoid surveillance. That's why Trump said what he did about using couriers.

>gist.github.com/joepie91/5a9909939e6ce7d09e29

Cyprus is correct.

In the future the government will be able to build digital hologram recreations of citizens using full spectrum data collection.

Instead of you being locked away for 20 years they will create 200,000 sentient holograms of you being tortured in an infinite variety of different ways.

By obscuring your digital data trail the governments simu-recreations are inevitably less accurate and you suffer less overall.

Before you laugh me off, please consider the possibility you were a wealthy, handsome and successful businessman that happened to offend an autocrat. Maybe the original you is in a cell somewhere and the you that is reading this is one of near infinite simu-recreations being tortured by being forced to live a life of mediocrity and frustration. Now multiple that frustration by a billion and you understand how punishment, deterrence and data collection intersect.

>They gather so much data they have no idea what to do with it

AI technology will change this though

>tfw you get fired in 2045 because you used to shitpost on a mongolian fishing board

/x/ did you forget to take your pills?

>he fell for the tails meme