CATHOLIC GENERAL

CATHOLIC GENERAL
>DEDICATED CATHOLIC GENERALS EVERY SUNDAY

Everyone is welcome.
Discuss news, ask question, give answers, be kind to one another, and above all assist one another in living the virtuous life. As usual, I will be assisting with answering questions and helping people out. I recommend you do the same.

Today is the second Sunday in Ordinary Time.
Here are your daily readings
usccb.org/bible/readings/011517.cfm

Community links, such as recommended media, are now below in pastebin links. Remember to recommend things to add to the lists!
>Catholic Encyclopedia
newadvent.org/
>Directory for Finding a Latin Mass (U.K)
lms.org.uk/mass-listings
>Directory for Finding a Latin Mass (U.S/Can)
ecclesiadei.org/masses.cfm
>Laudate App
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aycka.apps.MassReadings&hl=en
>Recommended Movies
pastebin.com/xAL9w4fk
>Recommended Books
pastebin.com/K8DUUPdC
>Recommended Music
pastebin.com/dgqjiSgs
>Beauty of Creation
pastebin.com/VKGZEvXK
>Tales of Love and Virtue
pastebin.com/Qt3RUsXA

Other urls found in this thread:

tubeunblock.org/watch?v=dBv1eluvKzU
youtube.com/watch?v=NJG-lgmPvYA
oxfordoratory.org.uk/mass-times.php
catholic.com/qa/if-a-baptized-catholic-marries-a-non-baptized-person-is-that-a-valid-marriage
themediareport.com/fast-facts/
masstimes.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redemptive_suffering
catholic.com/magazine/articles/a-pope’s-answer-to-the-problem-of-pain
newoxfordreview.org/reviews.jsp?did=0108-seaman
cbsnews.com/news/the-debate-over-sainthood/
archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/104853044/#104854013
archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/104853044/#104854030
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_Bible
itunes.apple.com/gb/app/laudate-1-free-catholic-app/id499428207?mt=8)
archive.org/stream/sermonsforallsun00liguuoft/sermonsforallsun00liguuoft_djvu.txt)
liturgia.pt/musica/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

St. Teresa, pray for us.

We need this guy:
tubeunblock.org/watch?v=dBv1eluvKzU

Le tips fedora here. How do know your God is real and all the others aren't? I'm not trying to shit up up the thread but all the philisophical argument(s) I've seen for the case of God seem universally applicable to any God, even malevolent or indifferent God(s).

(THIS BELL SWAN REPOST)

Good morning, everyone.

Halo! Its divine wind will rush through the stars, propelling all who are worthy along the path to salvation!

why do catholics keep pushing protestants away. We should focus on our common enemy: the forces of satan. And why do catholics prefer the foreign invaders instead of their brothers in faith?

wtf i hate fedoras now

youtube.com/watch?v=NJG-lgmPvYA

Good morning!

Yes, absolutely that!

I've seen it happen in my family directly. My godmother's husband lived his whole in a seminary and he became a missionary and they both lived in big cities. They got married, had a kid and moved to a small village of about 100 people and a really small traditional parish.

Whosoever is gripped by fear, take heed. I am the Prophet of Truth. ...And I am not afraid. Noble Mercy is here at my side, his wise counsel ever in my ears.

Oxford theology student here. I am of an Evangelical Protestant background but when I took the module on the early church, I was surprised by how Catholic it actually looked. And it got me worried as fuck

What do?

I've heard the other day that protestants are specifically taught to hate catholics. Is that true?

Go away, Godless leaf.

Raised Lutheran here, that wasn't my experience

Then again as a kid I was never serious about Christianity

Bishop Robert Barron is a good man. We need more people like him.

>Everyone is welcome

That's not been my experience at all

I can help with that. I was told at my school by a teacher growing up in the south that I and my family would go to hell if I didn't stop being Catholic. I was in the first grade.

Kind of breeds it into you.

love your neighbour. yes, that includes blackies

What is this sorcery?

user, larp elsewhere.

The vast majority of arguments for God classically - in their full detail - speak about specific traits necessary of the result of the argument. "Gods" is an umbrella term for a lot of different types of things ontologically. This, itself, refutes many things. Details can be grasped beyond that and connecting it to specific historical events is a monster of a task in itself but that goes beyond what you're wanting right now. In my next posts I'll be laying an example out for you.

To fight Satan, we fight derision.

Learn and grow. Scott Hahn was very influential for precisely the stuff you're speaking of.

It's the ideal I and others try to shoot for.
But people are not the same as ideas either.

Not at all. I see a lot more vitriol aimed at Protestants by Catholics than vice versa.

Is it true that marriages between a non-baptised person and a baptised person are invalid and can be annulled? Asking for a friend.

You don't. It's not about fact but faith.

Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” 14 And they said, “Some say John the Baptist, others say Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17 And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. 18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock[b] I will build my church, and the gates of hell[c] shall not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed[d] in heaven.”

When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”

“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”

16 Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”

17 The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. 18 Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” 19 Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!”
____

You know what to do.

You mean you cause the derision in the first place.

I'd like to have a word with the person you heard that from, because it's completely false. We might dislike the pope and some teachings in the catholic faith, but all protestants I've talked to see catholics as our brothers in faith.
>teacher
>talking about faith
>ever

Yes. I will learn. But it contradict so much of evangelicals

I dunno what to do. My family are all staunch Evangelicals. We are of Indonesian decent and if I convert, my family will disown me

Initially it would be important to say that the majority of cosmological arguments (besides ones such as the Kalam) generally do not deal with temporal causation (a "before the big bang") but rather a constant, sustaining causation within each moment in time. Aquinas, along with pretty much all the classical Christians understood God in a sense now called Classical Theism, which would view God as a constant ground of being rather than an individual or anthropomorphic type of thing. This is the standard Apostolic Christian (Catholic/Orthodox/Coptic) view to this day. This is opposed to the view Theistic Personalism, which is God as a kind of individual and anthropomorphic to some degree. This is constantly popular between all laypeople for easy understanding and became popular between Protestant scholars from modernity onward. How God's attributes (omni-stuff) are understood differs between these two branches.

Next, here is a modern rewriting of one classical argument in its full form: Aquinas' First Way. Since he makes use of classical language such as the potential/actual distinction I'll still use that.

Part 1/3

Try goin to mass here oxfordoratory.org.uk/mass-times.php

If, like some others, you're worried about not knowing the Order of the mass, download the laudate app and you can learn how it goes

Also, as an Oxford student, get Waugh's book on Edmund Campion

1. Causation exists.( Empirical Premise)

2. Act and Potency are classic terms we can use to explain causation: When something is in Potency it has the capacity to become something else, but is not it yet. A fertilized egg has the potency to turn into a chick, an unfertilized egg does not. When a potency is realized, it is actual. To actualize a potency is to take a property that something had in potency and make it actually inhere in the thing. The same thing, in this case, for things within an instant. While they are simultaneous they are still essentially ordered.

3. When we find an instance of causation in the world we find some potency being actualized.

4. Something that is only in potency cannot actualize anything.

5. For some potency to be actualized something actual must actualize it.

6. If A is actualized by B, then B must first be actual.

7. Either something must have actualized B from being in potency to be in actuality. Or B is either necessarily actual, having never been in potency before. ( A v B)

8. If the left disjunct “A” is true then premise 7 applies to a new cause C.

9. If disjunct “B” is true there is a “first” uncaused cause that is pure actuality.

10. If disjunct “B” is never the case then there is an infinite series of actualizations. And we can apply 7 to C, then to a new cause D, and so forth. With every being having its actuality derived from another being.

11. If “10” is the case then there can be no actualization, as every being in the series has its actuality derived from another being, but there is no being with actuality on it's own to derive the actuality from.

12. If “10” is the case there is no causation

13. There is causation ( from premise 1)

14. Premise “10” is not the case.

15. If premise 10 is not the case, then at some point in the series “9” is the case.

16. There is a first cause, which is a being of pure actuality.

I can help you if needed.

part 2/3

I don't know any protestants in real life (just 2 Jehovah's Witnesses) that's why I ask. I feel like the people who try to bash catholics or bash protestants are anti-christians trying to weaken us. Have you seen how aggressive they are around here? Just wait a few minutes and they'll appear.

Blasphemy! The weight of your heresy shall stay your feet, and you will be left behind.

Those quints are Kek laughing in the face of your Jew Lord, Sup Forums.

part 3/3

Now you'll notice that the argument ended with "pure actuality" rather than "God", which is what the argument does in its full form. Aquinas' Five Ways are to get five different results from classical arguments for God, examine attributes necessary of such traits, and then, afterwords, defend rationally that all five results must be the same thing to establish a more complete image of the thing from rational deduction. Afterwords, the term "God" is applied as it's entirely synonymous with how God in understood theologically.

The picture crudely summarizes this whole argument but also goes into necessary attributes at the bottom.

From this we can see how common disagreements are tenable at all:

>God being uncreated is special pleading!

The result inherently leads to an uncreated creator and lays out what of its nature is discernible.

>Why can't it be the universe that's eternal?

The universe cannot be as the initial premise mentions motion within the universe and the end result states a lack of change inherent to it.

>You just call it God out of nowhere!

In abbreviated versions, definitely, but the basis I lay clear in my post here. One attribute in the arguments is the view of Simplicity. That is, a lacking of parts. This itself is totally against most other conceptions.

Quads******

I had to walk out of Church halfway through.

Swedish church is nonsense and a meme at this point.

I am seriously tempted to become a priest myself and uncuck it bigly.

Sorry.

>turned 20 today
>tfw one year closer to meeting the Lord

One of your three posts in the thread is a documentary about how one of our saints are not actually that good in response to someone asking her to pray for us, and two posts complaining that Catholics are unfairly mean to you.

Another option is that you like to cause conflict and then do that thing where you try to come out of it clean and make other people look bad. Which is less a Protestant v. Catholic thing and more of a you being a cunt thing. Be more like that Finnish guy. He's alright.

Fucking baptists. Not even once.

Happy birthday.

I usually bash Catholics quite a bit but I always regret it, the Sup Forums-Catholic LARPers who only became Christian because it's vaguely right-wing and then became Catholic because "it's like space marines" just make my blood boil.

Thanks, buddy.

God bless.

This will be hard to understand for someone who doesn't know at least basics of Aristotle.

t. philosophy student

Shocker.

Made sure to say the Lord's Prayer before steping out of the door though.

catholic.com/qa/if-a-baptized-catholic-marries-a-non-baptized-person-is-that-a-valid-marriage

This can help you a lot.

>accepting and upholding one view for everyone instead of trying to accept a plurality of views that contradict one another
>cause derision

user what?

The document is spot on though.

Not if they don't respect me, my family and my home.
Those blackies in my country abandoned their homes and invaded my own while being complicit with the eternal subverter.

Christopher Hitchens is blatantly wrong about his research about Mother Teresa and its an embarrassment people peddle a deliberate hitpiece as real scholarship. It's easy to debunk.

Do it.

I sometimes do banter, but mostly try to build bridges. Anyone who acts like pic related is just trying to divide and conquer

Debunk it then. I'm not a fan of Christopher but the documentary seemed pretty solid.

I'm so sorry, user.

Fuck your boy didling religion

Edgy.

Happy birthday, user.
Remember, that you can start such things early.
Pic related.

I just might bite it

themediareport.com/fast-facts/

Chugging this Monster Zero Ultra white then heading to mass. My local church is very post-vatican II but oh well.

I'm pretty sure you're making things up. I've never met anyone on this site who thinks the Catholic Church are like space marines. I know Dark Heresy is jokingly called "Catholic Space Nazis" on /tg/, but that's not to be taken as an endorsement as Catholics, space, or Nazis.

You're literally going to spend the entire thread trying to cause derision aren't you?

How do we summon the archangels to combat that which shall not be?

>just make my blood boil.

and you have the right to bash them. it's really cringey to see that they are trying to imitate ISIS with the "Deus Vult/Ave Maria" replacing the allahu akbar.

Can't make it to the mass today.

How was church today for you anons?

I don't expect otherwise, but I also do not wish to assume too much of an user who wants to ask a big question and also want to give an impression of what there is behind the faith if they have no initial impression already.

>Debunk it then
Okay.

She's claimed to have outright denied modern palliative care from the dying with the express intent of trying to get them to suffer in a masochistic sense. This is extremely easy to shoot down given that modern palliative care was simply unavailable in India, let alone the West Bengal.

With reference to India generally, see, e.g., Rajagopal MR and and Joranson DE, "India: Opioid availability - An update", The Journal of Pain Symptom Management, Vol. 33 (2007) 615-622, passim. As late as 2001, researchers could write that "pain relief is a new notion in [India]", and "palliative care training has been available only since 1997" - Rajagopal MR, Joranson DE, and Gilson AM (2001), "Medical use, misuse and diversion of opioids in India", The Lancet, Vol. 358, July 14, 2001, pp. 139-143 at p.139.

With reference to West Bengal specifically, it was only in 2012 that the state government finally amended the applicable regulations simplifying "the process of possession, transport, purchase, sale and import of inter-state of morphine or any preparation containing morphine by 'Recognized Medical Institution'." See: International Association for Hospice & Palliative Care, Newsletter, 2012 Vol. 13, No. 12 (December); and for a brief regulatory overview for the previous year, see M.R. Rajagopal interview with the UN Office on Drugs and Crime, April, 2011 India: The principle of balance to make opioids accessible for palliative care.

And note that she had died in 1997.

Part 1/2

One of your sermons was left in latin, they never translated it, and I know why.

I can tell you, but you won't listen or learn anything, because you're just proud religious assholes. If you're so clever, and so right about everything, then you tell me - wtf is a Nicolatain?

The Bible says, in Rev 2, that God hates Nicolatains; but he likes people who also hate them. Weird how nobody has any idea what they are then, aye? It's like Jezebel, it's a complex pattern, a systematic problem in every church, and God hates her too - for real.

It's the priestcraft! The communist whore up the fronT, who cannot and will not confess a sin to you, because he's hiding from the real world, in his little church lala land. The one who gets paid for this shit; pretends to teach, pretends to love, pretends to relate... they never translated it, so as not to bum out the priests, who God hates.

Sword of your mouth is the proscribed weapon - also in Rev 2 - because those sacred cows can't handle the Celebrity Roast, being proud assholes and what not - it kills them!

The hidden Manna (same chapter) is the false tithe - works better when the priesthood of all believers administer Gods portion, because many eyes and ears are far more efficient. Pompous priests have a way of diminishing your priesthood, they're just whores!

Jezebel witchcraft is not magic, there's no such thing; they're just gossips and liars, and since no society has ever survived feminism, this fully explains why Jehu, in the book of Judges, showed us such a violent fix. Every society has a form of witch-hunt. Also, the church has rejected every single verse relating to the conduct of women, so get used to male on female violence, or become extinct.

Finally, Balaam (love feasts) are when Jesus loves you, even though you are a proud asshole, and the bible says that grace is only for the humble, who are like unicorns these days.

Nobody ever comments on this information - it's new to them, therefore not a thing.

Thanks!

masstimes.org/

Have you tried visiting other parishes?

part 2/2

On the topic of masochism generally, however, this comes about from misconstruing the Catholic position on Redemptive Suffering.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redemptive_suffering

You can read more on the Catholic view of suffering in detail here.

catholic.com/magazine/articles/a-pope’s-answer-to-the-problem-of-pain

The claim of masochism is a warping of the traditional Catholic view either done out of ignorance or bias and, along with the lack of modern palliative care in the Missionaries of Charity's hospices, come together to form the popular and entirely fictitious view of Mother Teresa as a villainous monster. It's all conjecture.

As for her disposition on the poor, I'd recommend her private writings where the Oxford Review says "Page after page documents her perpetual sorrow with the miseries of the poor, the "least of all God's creatures" living in unimaginable "holes"". I'm not sure how someone who is secretly like that could also secretly be a masochist.

newoxfordreview.org/reviews.jsp?did=0108-seaman

And, to end, there's the strange popularity in using Hitchens' book The Missionary Position as a basis for claims in popular media and in biographies despite Hitchens book being a deliberate hitpiece. And this is undeniable as Hitchens was asked by the church to be a hitpiece so to fulfill the role of "Devil's Advocate" in the canonization process for the, now, St. Teresa.

cbsnews.com/news/the-debate-over-sainthood/

Like most things with Hitchens, he does a great job at sounding intelligent and having a sense of morality but still being fucked up in his arguments.

>reading the New Testament before the Old

Am i doing the right thing?

For Catholics who care about Europe, becoming a priest is unironically the best thing they could do.

Already widespread enough troughout the continent; no need to form new connections etc. And you automatically have a platform. Can't do much as one person, but with a flock of parishioners, you can

Yes.

Gunnar Björnstrand, the actor from pic related, converted to catholicism when he was alive. Never knew that until now.

yes

I went to the 8 am mass and it was worth it. The priest always gives great homilies. :)

Have you tried this website? I use it whenever I have work and can't make it to my usual parish.

masstimes.org/

Yes, the other way is confusing.

The NT will act as a looking glass through which you will understand OT more deeply.

Keep at it, user.

You can get a job with the church without going full blown priest.

Lots of religious ed jobs out there.

Literally the best place I've ever worked.

There is no summoning and no manipulation. There is unity.

Heading very soon. Walking about a half-mile to my parish to partake at 11.

That will be hard.
Bring up the issues first, then lead to the result. It will help them lead you to where you are.

Yes.

I do a breakdown on reading the Bible here if you want more info:

archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/104853044/#104854013
And continue it here
archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/104853044/#104854030

I am protestant though..

And because my family have been heavily religious for over 700 years and almost exclusively Protestant I have no interest in converting.

This will prove a challenge indeed.

Wow, glad to hear that.

I always thought that he shared atheistic views with Bergman.

Uncuck it? By becoming a priest? A Nicolatain? Don't you know that Nicolas invented cuck? His wife had many husbands - quite unusual in christian culture - hence the need to hide away in chuck lala land, and be a communist.

You already are a priest dumb ass - it's called the priesthood of all belivers. Did your Nicolatain/whore not explain that to you? Wonder why...

There's a FSSP parish 1 town over that is wonderful, I go there during the week for confession and mass.

I guess I just like supporting my local parish, it's where I received first holy communion.

Do you belong to the Church of Sweden or Catholicism?

I met a Swede on another website who said he was dissatisfied with the way the CoS was headed (too liberal/progressive) and ended up converting to Catholicism.

Allow me to present myself more clearly.

There's a problem on this website of people I call Sup Forums-Christians. These are people that were otherwise atheist/agnostic and only started to call themselves Christians because they've realised through this website that atheism is generally left-wing and destructive to the nation/family, while Christianity is generally constructive and right-wing.

These people procede to call themselves Christians without really doing much about it. They don't act Christian, they don't do any deep theological or cultural research. They just regurgitate cringeworthy Crusade LARPing memes and etc.

A sub-set of this group are the Sup Forums-Catholics. This is a set of people from the above group that decided to become Catholic. They usually became Catholic for poor reasons, for instance they did little research into the history and theology of various Christian denominations and just assumed, based on a lack of knowledge, that Catholicism must be correct. Now I know most people ITT will claim that Catholicism is the true Church. I'm not here to contest that claim, there are legitimate arguments for it. What I am pointing out is that the Sup Forums False Catholics you see justify it through bad means, such as assuming it to be correct because it's the largest or some other such reason.

What I meant by Space Marines is you get a lot of these false Sup Forums-Catholics LARPing about Crusading and burning Protestants (fellow Christians, usually white). This is obviously not in the spirit of Christianity or Catholicism, they simply like it because they think they're being similar to the Space Marines by constantly crying about "HERETICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

This is what I mean: These false Christians who are just trying to copy ISIS by crying Latin phrases they hardly understand.

Godless heathen here. I'm at an all-time low and all the terrible shit in the news and on this board are having me look for answers and hope recently. I wanted to try and find solace in Christianity, and there's even a Catholic church a few blocks down. My question is though, what sort of bible am I supposed to be or should be best to read? I see King James this, New American that, is there really much of a difference or should I just get whatever I can get my hands on? Where could I get said version if any old Wal-Mart bible won't do? Help me out, friends.

What did you do?
What was the experience?
How were the pay/benefits?

I understand. Thanks for clearing that up and sorry for posting the documentary in the first place.

I am a part of CoS, this is also a meme desu.

They use government funding to push liberal propaganda. I should really leave it and join something else. But as i have previously stated Catholicism is not really an option for me.

I would recommend Jerusalem Bible.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_Bible

I do facilities management/building maintenance. I keep the place looking pretty. The pay depends on the parish. The one I'm at is lower income but I'm hoping to move up in a couple of years after I get more experience. The benefits are absolutely god tier(no pun intended) and since benefits are paid by the diocese I can easily make just as much in benefits as I take home in pay.

It's incredibly low stress and I like that.

Douay Rheims bible is best bible.

Also, if you don't feel ready for mass or anything like that just yet:

>get the laudate app (itunes.apple.com/gb/app/laudate-1-free-catholic-app/id499428207?mt=8)
>read the daily readings
>On Sunday, get a book of sermons and read the sermon for that Sunday (for example, archive.org/stream/sermonsforallsun00liguuoft/sermonsforallsun00liguuoft_djvu.txt)

>FSSP parish
You're lucky, user. The nearest one for me is 4 hours away.

>I guess I just like supporting my local parish, it's where I received first holy communion.

That's good to hear. Just remember that you can always switch parishes if the priest starts preaching things that seem contrary to Church teachings or are too 'progressive'.

Priests are imperfect humans like us and can be easily influence by outside forces.

God bless!

For starters I recommend the NiV (new internation version).

Start easy and focus on God in your prayers, give your mind to God and ask him to cleanse you of your sins and thus letting him in your heart.

Try not to be good for God, eventually God will make you good.

What kind of music do they play at your churches?

Here's somthing similar to what they play in mine.

liturgia.pt/musica/

Just click anywhere under the cathegory "Missa" or listen to the Akathistos (it's pretty good too), whatever you like.

Lots of music in "Salmos Responsoriais"

God is Truth & Love.
Every sect is full of heresy, because of the Priestcraft/Jewing/Nicolatains - who the bible says that God hates.

I suggest siding with the high church faction. They are the only guys in the Church of Sweden fighting the cuckery

Will look into that, thank you user also nice trips.

For someone just starting out in their walk I'd stay with the more popular translations. King James, NIV, English standard, etc. The differences won't mean much until you have a better grasp of your faith.

But why do protestant contradict the church fathers?