Did women really fight effectively alongside the men back in the Viking days?

Did women really fight effectively alongside the men back in the Viking days?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shieldmaiden#cite_note-5
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brynhildr
archive.is/EooSM
youtube.com/watch?v=GRB2QTP8DpU
youtube.com/watch?v=E9vcRzerT2E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No

no, they were passed around for trophies

This guy knows

No. They stayed home while the men raided.

Yes, the term 'effectively' is relative though, you have to remember they invaded fags such as england where they have nothing but manlets, so nordic women could fight in equal terms with them.

Hahahahahahahaha

No

No one knows for sure what shieldmaidens did.
But considering they were statistical outliers and not the norm even in Viking societies, does it really matter?

>effectively
As in being of some sort of help? Probably. As in taking on multiple enemy men and cutting through them like in some female Wonderwoman power fantasy? Most likely not.

A lot of Viking "warfare" was raiding villages without proper defense. I don't see why a trained women warrior wouldn't be of help slaughtering unarmed civilians.

No. They stayed at home and forged battle axes and swords.

NO
this is liberal propaganda

>Did women really fight effectively alongside the men back in the Viking days?

In the middle ages, women sometimes contributed to defense of a town. In one town the lord's wife lead rounded up the women and them to cut their skirts short so they could run up the ramparts carrying stones to drop off the wall.

Very rarely a military force could be lead by one if the lord was died and the heir was still a baby.

There were no female warriors though. If a woman was fighting it would be because her town is attacked or something went horribly wrong.

There are legends about it but no archeological evidence yet discovered so... if it did happen, it wasn't very common.

The idea of 'shield maidens' comes from excavated graves that contained a female and some armor or a weapon. But historians are fairly sure these were simply inherited heirlooms and not indicative of female warriors.

Only a few if not a lack of women fight alongside men in the Viking era

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shieldmaiden#cite_note-5

I can imagine if they did it wouldn't be that hard anyway. They mostly raided settlements rather than proper fighting, so if you're going to btfo of some peasant farmers, you can give your wife or sister (who's tougher than regular women for working on a ship) an axe and tell her to go catch or kill the womenfolk you're raiding.

Probably not that common at all, but if you've got a raiding band of 20 men and 1-2 women, you could totally have Helga and Greta go and round up the women and children, while you and the other guys fight the men.

no

Vikings were poorer folk and younger sons left out of inheritance. Scandinavia had a shortage of arable land so people started roaming. Men were expendable, women were not: rich and powerful Norse always needed servants, concubines, maids.

Vikings show is terrible.

The only time in recorded history I can think of where females fought against males. Was during Pyrrhus attack on Sparta while all the men were out of the city at time. In the first day Pyrrhus killed all the slave soldiers defending the city. The only thing left in Sparta were women, the elderly, and children. So the women on the second fought the invading army with slings hurling rocks and pots and were able to hold them off for the day for men to arrive back home to defend the city.

With the advent of guns, you got women dressing as guys sometimes to fight in wars. I mean you've probably always had *some* women posing as guys to fight, but a woman with a musket is much more dangerous to a man than a woman with a sword.

This, the show is pushing agendas harder every episode.

Yes they did. "Shield maidens" - skjoldmoy

"So did the shieldmaidens exist? When taken as a whole, the literary, historical, and archaeological evidence suggests that there were individual Viking women who cultivated warriors’ skills and, if the sagas can be believed, some achieved great renown in battle. Were there communities of Viking women warriors, as Saxo claims? There may have been, but there just isn’t enough proof to definitively say so…yet."

nice of her to carry spare gear in between gang rapes

That's what makes it even more sad what's happening to your people/country - you have brilliant genetics which your pissing away. Despite their great genetics modern Swedish "men" will allow scrawny Somali's beat up on them without even attempting to fight back. What the leftists have done to you guys is an unforgivable attrocity.

I couldn't imagine females carrying heavy melee weapons and fighting effectively against males. Skyrim isn't real life.

No, they were called shield maidens and were used to carry shit, and occasional sexy times.

lawl no

When they were colonizing rather than exploring they took their women with them. When attacked those women would take up arms as a "last line of defense" before the children. They were not trained for battle, and they most certainly were not in the front line of combat.

Women have never been and likely will never be effective combat troops, not only do they lack the appropriate musculature, but cucks will throw other men under the bus to keep women from getting hurt.

can't see why not. I know multiple women that given a sword and good training could kill men no problem. they would probably get their heads caved in eventually but they can still do damage with a sharp pointy sword. also, they generally wore less armor so they were quicker than men.

>WE WUZ KANGZ the TV show

I would let her fight me

What did user mean by this?

No evidence to suggest that, other than some burial places and sagas. Neither of which prove that they were used in any serious capacity.
If we were to find some battleground that had serious amounts of female remains that were armed and died of battle wounds then we could begin to speculate. Right now is just a nerd fantasy.

Sure. They all looked like this.

Swords and spears are not heavy.

I would put my sword between those knockers if you contemplate the underlying meaning of my words

On the next episode "Moor lives matter" come to katikatte to "protest" and remind the vikings of their privilege.

Also, anyone notice how all the moors were niggers with whitish/brown women?

>katikatte

That image is of nightmarish stuff

/thread

>Did women anything effectively ever?
No

>being this triggered by blue hair
why is Sup Forums a bunch of pussies that need their natsoc safespace?

For you

Sweden was the whitest country in Europe. Now it's the least. Sad!

Not entirely true. In atleast some of the larger invasions the women tagged along, seeing as their home area was so overpopulated.

This was likely to settle down in the land they conquered though, not as shieldmaiden units or what have you

In Estonia, we have grave findings from Estonian high-status men and women from 1000 years ago before the german crusaders arrived, and we had an egalitarian society here, where high-status men and women had equal amount of treasure in their graves.

This basically means that in viking times, men and women actually were equal, but not in some sort of cucked way, since there still were traditional gender roles amongst Vikings, but it's more like they respected women for being mothers, caretakers, and occasionally allowed women to fight. Think of the Nazi Germany, which very much valued womanhood, not Islam, which doesn't respect women at all.

Ofc, you can see lots of videos in stressful situations where women are present and they quickly get on top of the situation and help those in need, every time.They definitely dont start screaming like an animal out of instinct, annoying the men around and making the situation worse.

>tfw will never impregnate her

Of course, most were. I mean why not use the people who breed the next generation and are consistenly weaker for brutal face to face combat?

>Did women really fight
yes
>alongside the men
no

remember Ephialtes?
weaknesses in the ranks = death for all

separate women's groups can successfully rob unarmed settlements for example. If we talk only about vikings

>they generally wore less armor so they were quicker than men.

This isnt an rpg. Women do not get speed and agility points for not wearing armour.

>muh vikings

Literally nigger tier logic.

Yes.
a very VERY few exceptional women were warriors alongside the men in celtic and norse societies.

some were even war leaders (google bouditha or grace o'malley) but it was not common practice.

WE

No. I imagine they probably picked up weapons to defend themselves and the children if a raiding tribe came while their men folk were off pillaging somewhere, but they never fought alongside the men.

Women were just as useless as they are today, only women back then knew their fucking place. They stayed home and fed the animals, gardened, and raised the kids.
The
ones that have been found buried with weapons and shit were probably the most fiercest dick suckers, and their skill at polishing norse knob was probably heralded as on par with berserkers in battle so to celebrate their life, they get buried with weapons in armor to aid their journey across the rainbow bridge to enter asgaard where they suck dick for all time in the great mead halls of valhalla

you speak the truth, Esti.

What are they talking about, Sup Forums?

Sister, I require your barely.

Many such cases!

thx straya, have a (you)

>did you see those moors the other day?
>yes gaertha I made Bjorn bring one home
>did you bed it?
>yes I had Bjorn prepare him and then retire out to the chicken shed
>wow I bet he was incredible, we really should bring more Moors to live with us
>yes I'm so sick of all these white boys
>oh shit here come the enemy, what do we do
>I don't know how to fight I just wanted to do this because we're so much better than men

Then they all got killed.

Shieldmaiden are characters in Viking / Nordic sagas.

only in tv shows

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brynhildr

strong women have a long tradition in the Germanic cultural sphere

>blue hair is the only problem he sees
gas yourself

They held down the fort, like Spartan women did, and were some pretty bad bitches

Only if they were widowed.
Read it up.

No, they had shield maidens who were like knight's pages, and they took them on raids, but only as backup and mostly just to fuck or leave a colony. Aslaug being a bad bitch lesbian is pure fiction.

Bingo. This is all shield maidens did.

NO. This is what actually happened:

" [..] According to Tacitus, women traveling with these fighting tribes stayed behind the battle lines, probably within a protective circle or oxcarts. If their men seemed to be losing, the women would goad the warriors to victory by baring their breasts behind the battle lines to remind them of their responsoibility to protect their dependents."

French banter noice

Tacitus Germania:
"In history we find, that some armies already yielding and ready to fly, have been by the women restored, through their inflexible importunity and entreaty, presenting their breasts, and showing their impending captivity; an evil to the Germans then by far most dreadful when it befalls their women. So that the spirit of such cities as amongst their hostages are enjoined to send their damsels of quality, is always engaged more effectually than that of others. They even believe them endowed with something celestial and the spirit of prophecy. Neither do they disdain to consult them, nor neglect the responses which they return. In the reign of the deified Vespasian, we have seen Veleda for a long time, and by many nations, esteemed and adored as a divinity. In times past they likewise worshipped Aurinia and several more, from no complaisance or effort of flattery, nor as Deities of their own creating."

>Anglo Americans complains about the world they made
That's some epic chutzpah.

>we made Sweden accept refugees and have a low birth rate

Wouldn't surprise me. Northern Europeans are cucks and are controlled by their women.

archive.is/EooSM

I don't think they were as common as popularly depicted, but some did exist.

Shieldmaidens were glorified cheerleader weapon racks

Was Boudicca redpilled Sup Forums? she burned to the ground 3 major roman settlements in britain

This. Youll find the rare outlier skilled woman in combat in scandinavian sources ie Gesta Danorum, Heimskringla or the Eddas

However it was clearly exception, not rule.

I see a lot of kneejerk reaction posts here from both sides of the discussion, try to retain some sort of objectivity instead of immediately jumping to either "women stronk" or "fucking SJWs women are weak", is this Tumblr or some shit?

At least one did in 1200 BC China. Fu Hao was a Shang Dynasty noble who fought and commanded sizable armies in battle. Her tomb is a major archaeological site packed with bronzes and human sacrifices.

Go to the Wikipedia and search for German - Swedish relations. Strange, but Sweden get all their troubles right after their rapid reorientation followed to the Anglo American cultural area.
Pure coincidence, isn't it?

And got her entire people slaughtered.
Great work there.

romans were based before christianity also

The Viking men couldn't fight effectively, never mind the women. They were basically nogs who go looting stores during a riot and the moment the police turn up they run off because they know they'll get arse raped.

She could sheath my sword. If ya know what I mean.

Let's see, what does individual melee combat consist of?

Oh yeah, coordination and upper body strength
youtube.com/watch?v=GRB2QTP8DpU

Works for me. Worked for them, too, usually.

What's this from?

They conquered 4/5ths of England, but I'm guessing they didn't teach that in somalia

Total War: Attila

>Sup Forums now believes in feminist fantasies
Wow, you guys fell pretty hard, pretty fast.

>OP asks a question
>pretty much everyone replies that female viking warriors were either non-existent or exceedingly rare

>feminist fantasies

Did you even read anything that was posted?

and are now living there.
The people living here are descended from the victors, time and again.

Sarcuck of Cukkad did a pretty good video debunking this shit, you ought to check it out if you're not just baiting or sliding, it's barely ten minutes.

youtube.com/watch?v=E9vcRzerT2E

Kek britbongs btfo

It wouldn't make any sense if they did. Women were left behind to raise children to become the next batch of vikings, and to defend the homelands. I'm sure nord women fought but not as equals alongside men on raids unless there were some exceptions.

underrated

4-6 kilos for an axe
1-3 for a single handed sword
1-2 for a spear
Now imagine holding at the end of a 1 metre stick 6 kilos
Or imagine swinging a 1 kilo bit of metal for 30 minutes with a 7 kilo bit of round wood in your other hand, while blocking varieties of blows