Can we all agree that society doesn't need atheism?

Can we all agree that society doesn't need atheism?

Other urls found in this thread:

princeton.edu/~rbenabou/papers/Religion December 1g_snd.pdf
nber.org/papers/w21052.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Of course, there's alot of things that society doesn't need. It being good to society however, that's a different story.

What argument can you make for it being good to society?

Compared to what?

I'm pretty sure atheism would boost productivity in most Islamic countries, where people take multiple prayer breaks per day.

What metric are we using here?

Productivity sure. I was thinking moral but those are pretty connected.

To be quite honest, none. But the same works with any other belief, what people are able to due, can't be credited with their faith.

It encourages skepticism, critical thought, and questioning of dogma.

Christianity and religion in general has been at the forefront of religious violence. Atheism softens people towards the mindset that gets them caught up in it.

All rephrase the question to align with what I'm thinking. Do you think atheism is less beneficial to society than theism?

So does science, and a lot of people make science and theism coexist.

Praise Kek

2017 is the year of cleansing

>Hell smells of burnt toast and he caught a whiff

Here's what inspired this thread for me. I was hanging out with a group of people and one guy just started tipping his fedora at maximum velocity and trying to start a debate that nobody wanted.

I thought what fucking benefit does it have to take away blind faith and a moral framework from your average person?

Yes, they do. However that's mostly due to compartmentalization. It takes a strong person to apply scientific reasoning to their long-held beliefs.

It's much easier to be one of the herd who doesn't question anything.

But you already know all this considering where you are.

I think atheism in all honesty, breeds alot of nihilism when it comes to attitudes. And when you don't believe that there are even morals, things can go bad. Of course there are plenty of atheists who don't need a god(s) to have morals, but the downside is still there.

Confrontational people exist everywhere. Christians who did it were the Westboro Baptist folks, for example.

Right now we live in a world which is inverted, and that confrontation comes from leftist dogmatics.

When they approach you, just take their momentum and redirect it at themselves. Maybe get them to confront their own dogmas.

For example many atheists are feminists. Take their skeptical attitude towards god and condescend to them about a 'Magical sky-daddy who gives all men the power to oppress womyn.'

You get the idea.

How would you all about this scenario: Some missionaries go to africa and take a community and give them some sort of theist religion (or the community has their own religion). So along comes Richard Dawkins and shits all over their theistic framework and everything that comes with it (morals, tradition) by convincing them of atheism. Now these people that run around naked and live in mud huts have nothing.

Nigga said maximum velocity lol.

You must remind them that atheism is a form of anarchy. It requires people who already have instilled upon them culture, tradition and morality.

Unleashing an anarchic mindset upon people who have an established order only causes them greater burden as they must struggle harder to establish their own traditions and ethics and morality without the benefit of an authority to rely upon.

I'm not sure they needed a faith to have morals. It definitely helps, but having a taste of some humanity should be enough to keep em civilised.

I'm an agnostic/atheist and I actually hate other atheists.

They fucking circlejerk each other on kikebook and social media "muh world hunger, if God exists he must be Evil!" "Whats a king to a god, whats a god to a non believer!" type shit. Always thinking they're smarter and above everyone else for their beliefs. And somehow they justify abortion, EVEN THOUGH LIFE IS ONLY GIVEN 1 CHANCE AT LIVING ON THIS EARTH, SOMEHOW THATS OKAY FOR 99% OF THEM. Atheists are poison and cancerous.

T. Atheist/agnostic/whatever the fuck you'd like to call it.

Such a smug post, I'm not a fedora tipping trenchcoat either but fuck, as antagonistic as one could possibly get. Members of the clergy should have more class.

>pruductivity ever being a principal part of society
Morality above all

I think this is exactly what I needed to hear.

I know some people don't, but I'm thinking most average people need it in a nice packaged religion.

Does it need atheism? No.
Does it need religion? Also no.

Dawkins btfo. Will he ever recover?

I know a great religion called Scientism you might be interested in.

So what do you guys think of preaching atheism to the average american in today's society?

It fosters scientific innovation

princeton.edu/~rbenabou/papers/Religion December 1g_snd.pdf
nber.org/papers/w21052.pdf

>Scientism

that's all well and good when you can afford beakers, bunsen burners and thermometers. not so much when you live in a mid hut.

It correlates with autism. It stands to reason that autism fosters scientific innovation if that's true.

>beakers, bunsen burners and thermometers
I chuckled.

Dawkins has become a pretty good athiest.

Most """""Athiests""""" are really just anti-Christian liberal americans.

Dawkins recognizes that Christianity is good and frequently calls out how bad Islam is.

>offers zero moral guidance
>only possible gleanable tenant is to believe nothing without evidence
>a religion

Not an argument

off by 8. KEK HATES YOUR FAGGOT GUTS THIEST SCUM

>South American thinks productivity is not a key function of society

praise kek

Genuine atheism doesn't exist. The political left replaced Christianity with global warming mythology.

What's the alternative, following some shitskin zombie's word? Get your blue pill the fuck out of Sup Forums

>westboro baptsist church are everywhere

>westboro baptist church has 15 people in Kansas

I started this way as an atheist until I realized theists had a methodology for a sense of community, something atheists do not have. I chilled out drastically knowing both ideas have major flaws.

I am a genuine atheist, although I don't care to "spread" it, it is personal imo.

Can we agree religion is for man-childern who believe in magical ferries to distract them from the obvious truth?

I think I am an atheist. Society needs sane atheism. I not a leftist though.
He is not going to die. Kek wants him to live.

Dawkings did a 180% on his atheism, didn't he?

First of all if you're an atheist, don't preach it. As an atheist I'm wondering if Dawkins did more good or bad by preaching atheism. Atheism provides open mindedness for the intellectual. It open all sorts of possibilites for you to discover. But the average person is not interested in discovering new ideas. Atheism doesn't offer anything of value to the average person.

Lol!
Society need no religion.
Beliefs in invisible friends is symptom of schizophrenia.