Why is Nippon called Japan?

Why is Nippon called Japan?

Are there other countries that are called one thing by the native people and something totally different by the rest of the world?

Are there other names for the United States of America that other countries use instead of that?

Why don't we refer to countries by the name that their countrymen use? Wouldn't they know what it should be called?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan
forum.istorija.net/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=5470&DisplayType=nested&setCookie=1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagaudae
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walhaz
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellas
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's weird. Isn't Finland actually called Suomi? The fuck? Sounds like some Asian restaurant

Germany is the one that has always confused me. Deutschland is what they call it.

Romans say Roma
Mexicans say mehico
Frenches say frounce
Etc

>Why don't we refer to countries by the name that their countrymen use? Wouldn't they know what it should be called?

Lots of countries have different names in different languages, e.g my own Österreich/Austria/Autriche, etc...

>Why is Nippon called Japan?
because the west learned the word through a chinese translation and it was like a game of telephone basically

Finland is mongolian you dumfuck

Yes.

I wish we would call it Germanien just like the ancient romans did.

Germany has it even worse.

Ya , India was orginally called bahrat

Pretty certain the US is Miguk in Korean. I know Australia is Hoju there...

Burgerland

In french we call is Allemagne.

USA>EEUU

Greece is Hellas in greek

yeah you fucks, when will you learn that its not "portugal", its EMPÉRIO PORTUGUES
ANGOLA É NOSSA

Isn't Germany called so many different names because its history of un-unified states?

it's nice that you think so highly of yourselves

ITT: burgers have never studied a language

>Österreich/Austria/Autriche,
Thats hardly different. Just corruptions of the same word, like Schwyz->Schweiz-Suisse-Switz(erlan)-Svizz(era)

portugal has not been relevant in 100 years

Spot on.

>when you realise the redpill was actually a spiked M&M

Yeah, different languages are different

Wales.

Cymru

Neat

Because we met up with the ching-chongs who took us over to their island where everybody was jip-jappin'.

Fun fact: Slavic words for "German" and "Germany" are derived from the old Slavic word for "idiot," which somewhat cognate and approximate to the English word "nimwit."

I would speculate that it's because they didn't understand Slavic languages when spoken to.

But we now can all agree that only idiots commit collective suicide.

So fuck you, Germany.

Thats a germanic pejorative for "stranger". Se walloons or wälsch (french speaking swiss)

That's why we call Koreans gooks.
We came across them and they would walk up saying "Me gook. Me gook."

This is so odd, because, the english didn't it get a lot of words from france due to normandie, so logically wouldn't they call Germany Allemania/Alemania? How did they end up with a latin, since i.e. Spain is from the anglo-norman Espayne, if you look at the place names in english of german cities they're also from french, Cologne, Aix-la-chappelle, Juliers, Mayance, Munich, Nuremberg, Ratisbon, etc.
So why did they even pick a latin name for germany???

>why can't OP figure out (((Google))) or (((Wikipedia)))?

why don't you call our people and languages Netherlanders/Netherlandish?
why dutch?

or Pay-bas

or like everyone just calls it Holland because they are retarded.

Egypt is miSr

It's actually closer to mute or silent than dumb

Nope Niemcy, means more like "those we don't understand" "or those who can't speak [our language]", it had the same meaning as Barbarian had to the greeks.

Sure we do, English, Ebonics, Spanglish

Most Americans know those 3 languages plus a myriad of dialect nuances

You're a Brit, you know how it is. Everything we are we learned from you

don't forget the Wallachians of romania.

>based italians calling it by its PROPER name

Duly noted.

Germany is basically in every language different, german deutschland slav njemacka, turkish almanya, french allemand

Anyway:
teutones -> blue
germanii -> green
alemanii -> yellow
saxones -> red

niemcy was already pointed out, dont know about Lithuania/Latvia, but it probably means "cross-bearing invaders"

>Why is Nippon called Japan?
>Are there other countries that are called one thing by the native people and something totally different by the rest of the world?

Holy fucking shit, you got to be kidding me, pls tell me this is a joke or a bait thread at least. Please tell me, you as an american(lol) did not asked those questions seriously.

If you did, i hope you are a nigger or at least clinically retarded. God help us all

Thanks for your scientific interest. Now explain the fuck Vokietija comes from or fuck off.

americans talking foreign policy, culture or geography always is a painful cringe to witness

Where did Hindustan come from?

I feel sorry for all you foreigners that don't even know what the place you live in is really called. Here are the real names of a few places.
Germany = Þýskaland
Kiev = Kænugarður
Vienna = Vínarborg
Istanbul = Mikligarður
Iceland = Ísland

Maoris call New Zealand "Aotearoa"

I dont think there is a legit explanation for thr word "vokietija.

There is a mainstream if you could call it explanation which is that balts captured a german and hit him on his head. The german was wearing a plate helmet and the balts said "vo kiets" which would translate to something like "Its hard". And the name for the hard headed people become Vokietija.

Not sure how legit this is though.

Some countries in Portuguese:

Germany = Alemanha
Spain = Espanha
Belarus = Bielorussia
Moldova = Moldavia
Denmark = Dinamarca
Iceland = Islandia
Sweden = Suécia
Norway = Noruega
England = Inglaterra
Wales = Gales
Scotland = Escócia
Ireland = Irlanda
Switzerland = Suíça (read Suissa)
Latvia = Letônia

Is this some kind of amateur hour or 10 year old retard americans discovering geography for the first time?
>Oh there are other people in the world who's native language is not english.

Not sure about what they call it in the actual country but

Netherlands = Holland
Deutschland = Germany

This

If I am not mistaken the Chinese used to call it Jippon and that turned into Japan.

Istanbul is from, εἰς τὴν Πόλιν , greek for "to the city"

Isn't it just a shortening of Constantinopolis?

Calling the Netherlands Holland is not a difference in language or dialect, it is just people being retarded. It is not dissimilar to people refering to the entire UK as " England"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan

"The English word Japan possibly derives from the historical Chinese pronunciation of 日本. The Old Mandarin or possibly early Wu Chinese pronunciation of Japan was recorded by Marco Polo as Cipangu. In modern Shanghainese, a Wu dialect, the pronunciation of characters 日本 Japan is Zeppen [zəʔpən]. The old Malay word for Japan, Jepang, was borrowed from a southern coastal Chinese dialect, probably Fukienese or Ningpo, and this Malay word was encountered by Portuguese traders in Malacca in the 16th century. Early Portuguese traders then brought the word to Europe. An early record of the word in English is in a 1565 letter, spelled Giapan."

Yes, it is.

Also
Mikligarður = Great market
Kiev = Kænugarður = Boat market

These were coined before christianity by "vikings".

Many countries have different names for different people. For example Darius, the Persian emperor during Alexander's conquest, was called Cotimanis by the Greeks. The Romans calling the Carthaginians punics. Spain is called Al Andalusia in Arabic. This is common.

Because its full of Nips.

No, Holland (or rather, Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland, you can guess yourself what that means) are two provinces. Our country is called Nederland (not De Nederlanden, just Nederland). Foreigners call us all Hollanders probably because it's the most populated and important part of the country.

According to this site :

>forum.istorija.net/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=5470&DisplayType=nested&setCookie=1

there is more realistic explanation, which is:

Vokietija < vokietis < vagaudas („vagoth“ pas Jordaną, 6 a.) < bagaudas (3a. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagaudae )

"Bagaudas" means "pabėgėlis" - which would translate to refugee

Lol, maybe thats why germans love refugees so much.

Of course they were Olafr, now go to sleep, will you? It's been dark all day...

>tyskland
LMAO tsk tsk

Nice! Thank you, Antanas.

>ebonics
kek

Interesting.

See
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walhaz

Perhaps since it was the only major city among the locals there.

Suomi and human are the same word. Comes from Proto-Indo-European.

You probably see the similarity better in the form of Häme, which is another derivative of it.

You are not even scratching the surface of funny with those.
Polish for Italy is Włochy
Czech for Austria is Rakousko

What is the difference between Nippon and Nihongo?

Nihongo = language
Nippon = country

t. weeb

Nihongo means Japanese language iirc

Shiznit, Island = Ice land

WoW

So basically the name of my people stems from a Germanic word that basically meant "Literally who?"

Great stuff

Its pronounced like tyskaland, right?
if so, its similar to the danish

It's actually spelled Kiyv in ukranian.

FUCK THE ANGLO OPPRESSOR
BURN LONDON TO THE FUCKING GROUND

>da memes are real

>Scale 1:6000000
only true name

>Scale 1:6.000.000
Most red pilled name

>But we now can all agree that only idiots commit collective suicide.
t. mr. 60 pct.

>swiss
>human

LOL

Greece/Greek = Hellas/Hellenic (kinda silent H)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellas

>Are there other countries that are called one thing by the native people and something totally different by the rest of the world?
In Brazil, Germany/Deutschland is called "Alemanha", from the alemannis.

It's usually derivations from ancient regions/peoples.

Greece is the Hellenic Republic in english

No idea why plebs call them greece

In lithuanian walnuts are called "graikiški riešutai" which would obv. translate to greek nuts.

Weird isnt it? Why would we ever call them greek nuts.

You forgot Emu

Swedish governmental social engineering is probably the hardest thing to watch ever in the history of anything

That was ironical, José

Excellent post, friend.

We will fuck you up nigger

Hivemind

USA isn't a white homeland and was only briefly more than 80% white.

too late to google the etymology but perhaps the first time they were imported to Lithuania they happened to come from Greece? they are very popular here indeed.

we have another variety of nuts here that we call "arapiko nuts", literally meaning "nigger nuts", implying they came from Africa and were not indigenous in Greece.

>Are there other names for the United States of America that other countries use instead of that?
Well, nobody ever calls the USA "America" around here.

are those peanuts?