College is a waste of time. My mom refuses to accept that

Hello Sup Forums this will be my first and only thread I ever make.

I felt inclined to post after my mom showed me my acceptance letter to her university she graduated from. I've been training to be an electrician and work when I graduate high school this June. When I told her no I am not attending college(and I told her this before I applied), nor am I attending her university, she threw an SJW-esque tantrum about how she raised me to be a sheep that is just normal and goes to college mindlessly.

Sup Forums, why does the left brainwash people into thinking college is the only way, why can't she see I don't want to be a debt-slave? Trades are a very good way of making money in the world.

This was not an easy decision for me. I hope you guys understand.

inb4 I am an edgy teenager who knows what's best for him.

Pic semi-related.

Other urls found in this thread:

Sup
bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/mechanical-engineers.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>my mom showed me my acceptance letter to her cock carousel she graduated from
how much dick do you think she took under the pretense of "learning"?

approximately 17 pounds

College education is best bro, get a degree in something magnificent such as industrial engineering and such.

>Women have sheep/herd mentality

In other news, dogs bark and water is wet.

What a fucking ingrate

Yes, but I would still be in debt after a college endeavor, and struggle to search for a job because the industry is over saturated.

Thank you for the advice, fellow burger

It just all depends on what you want to do. I don't know much about being an electrician, college may not be in your best interest but getting certifications or something similar probably still would be

kek

I have already gotten a job offer for being a lineman. The company would pay for any certifications if I perform well enough.

>I've been training to be an electrician
>Trades are a very good way of making money in the world.
Kek, you are an idiot if you think you'll make a good living off that.

It depends on what you want to do. It's not a waste of time if you work hard to get into the field of study you want to get into. Gonna be honest, blue collar work is fine, but it's extraordinarily time consuming and is much harder. I think in the past few years there been pushback against schools and for that reason this romanticized version of blue collar jobs. Not only that but the money is not as high as people seem to make it out to be, sure there are people making 100K+ but they're few and far between. It's confirmation bias.

Dude, go to fucking college. Most people on Sup Forums are fat NEETs with no future prospects.

In other words, they don't know jackshit about how our system functions.

Major in STEM. I'm a STEM major, and there is very little of that SJW bullshit you always hear about because it's very rigorous and we focus on concrete mathematics and sciences, instead of the philosophy of ethics.

College grads make significantly more money over the course of their lifetime than high school fags.

If you don't go to college, you will regret it the next time a recession rolls around.

You can learn a trade and then get a job that pays for your college. I have alot of friends that went that route making $25-30 an hour

And not everybody is in debt. I chose community college for a number of years, saved while I was there, got into the college I wanted to go to and only went when I could do so without going into the red.

Maybe the military will help, join up to be an electrician, try it out for 4 years. If you like it, you'll have certifications and experiences at no cost to you, if you don't you have college completely paid for.

An electrician I know enrolled in college after years of being an electrician. His justification was the work was hard on his body and he wanted to apply his knowledge in a less physical way. He did make enough as an electrician to pay for college completely on his own. Something to think about OP. Trades can be hard on your body.

Electricians can make easy $70k/yr in the states

Is money an issue? For me personally money wasn't an issue since I had my grandparents to pay for tuition. I'd recommend going to college and earning a degree. While there are a lot of other options available to you, if money isn't a problem then you should earn a diploma just to hang it on your wall. No one can take it from you. You also get that college "experience" that you won't appreciate until later in your 20's.

tldr; Just go to college if you can afford it. Study what you want. You never know. Your preferences may change. If not, then you can go into the trades with a college degree. You'd be golden.

The people in reality who build the most wealth, are people in business for themselves and those who invest.

>college kids make more than non
True but what about people who get an $80k/yr+ job with the correct certifications?

>next recession
Patently false. An HVAC, for instance, will ALWAYS need a job as there will always be houses and companies in need of AC repair. An electrician, as OP states, will ALWAYS be in need and will be even more so during a recession due to large migrations of people to and from

Just say the world has changed, it's that simple.

College isn't cheap anymore.

Knowledge and debate is no longer confined to university halls, it's all online or in the street.

Learning a trade is more than enough to get by - in fact that's an understatement. You may be unaware of just how much the "educated" underestimate the financial prospects of what they consider mere "manual labour". This might just be a UK thing, but Plumbers and Electricians here own big houses and drive big cars, or at least they do if they go freelance or own their respective company.

University is oversaturated and you do not merely hop into a job afterwards, you have to be getting internships and the like whilst in college and making connections. Not everyone can do this, so as a method of employment, it does not work for everyone - I can only assume you don't expect that to be your thing.

In contrast, getting into work early gives you a head start. This also just an assumption, but I know plenty of people who will deliberately avoid the "college educated" when they can, if you are employed, smart and DIDN'T go to college, I honestly refuse to believe it won't be a bonus in some scenarios. It's literally a selling point, especially in Trump America.

Just let her know it's a different world and you certainly won't be missing out on the "college life", it's underwhelming and empty for most people who aren't chads or don't have the luck to find a group of likeminded people.

If all else fails you'll have to move out.

>Tells him college is worth it and says to get a degree in imaginary engineering

What's stopping you from getting a degree as proof of competency then becoming an electrician? If you have both I'm sure it'll help.

I chose being an electrician for a couple reasons.
#1 They will always be needed regardless of the economy of the country
#2 It is more difficult to automate this job

That's what I told her, very nice response Brit Bong

I don't want to waste my parents money, I want to be able to make it on my own and make sure I don't screw them over.

>Trades
>good way of making money
Enjoy being a wage slave for the rest of your life, because that is all that awaits you in trades.

The market is really bad in electrical engineering right now. I doubt mechanical is much better.

Because if his area has any amount of work chances are the contractors and shops won't care long as he completes his journeyman. I live at a west coast metro, and the local shops have resorted to making daily ads and interviews on the morning news for new hires.

Why spend 15k-40k for something not required?

Honestly I think getting a simple degree in business or accounting will do you a lot of good as an endgame to trades where you set up your own place. Having that entrepreneurial knowledge will help a lot, if not then it'll be a back-up in case shit goes south or you get tired of being a wagecuck electrician for 4 years.

Lineman is a sick gig brother

>a business degree is actually learning how to run a business
this meme needs to die.

In America they are, Achmed.
Plus I don't mind physical labor

Just learn a trade as you planed and tell your mom that you can go to college and get a degree in any field related to your trade later on do it part time while learning a trade you could always do some courses at a community college after work and collect the needed credits over 3-6 years for a bachelor or what ever you call the first degree in the US...

Go be a sparky, OP. I only do basic AC and some specialized DC shit. Most of my background is mechanical and hydraulics. Make around 80k a year.

keep on the electrician path OP

you can easily learn EE by yourself if you really want:

Sup Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Electrical_and_Electronics_Engineering

I went to trade school to be an electrician and am currently working as one. If I was an american I would do the same, just to avoid the debt.

Sounds like a sick gig like said. Maybe I will consider it.

FUCKING CHECKED

Lmao, my father makes around 60 euros a day as his own boss, he also fixes car electronics and installs cameras and alarms in building, easily makes around 90k a year, im livin large in a poor country and im going after my fathers trade

bump
need more advice, por favor.

>industrial engineering
>mechanical

Looking at american education system, id say no, dont go to college and get a debt youll be carrying around for the rest of your life, but also expand your knowledge, just because youre an electrician doesent mean you shouls focus only on the shit electricians do, my father is one and he started working on cars and video cameras alongside his regular work. Also if you REALLY think you NEED college you can always sign up, its never too late

Electrician is a good route to go if you enjoy it. We need more people in trades. College is only good for STEM type fields of study. Beyond that it's worthless. I applaud your decision.

The value of a college education is wasted on nearly all 18 year olds. Go get a degree if and when you're ready. Nothing wrong with learning a trade now.

>This was not an easy decision for me. I hope you guys understand.
I do. I am a skilled tradesman. Glad to hear that others consider it a serious career......because it is.

No robot can do most of what skilled labor does. No amount of liberal rhetoric can convince me that we have T-1000 style construction bots that are human analogs.

I think that it is important that we do what we want, while still realizing that what we do needs to be done for our employer. 8 hours a day is their time for me. I am a-ok with that. The rest of my wonderful life is awesome also.

Fuck colleges. They weren't for me either.

Keep up the good fight!....And be careful. Amps kill.

College isn't always a waste of time. Some people just aren't cut out for higher education. And more people need to understand this. You have the bottom 10% of a graduating class being told to go to college, when they will likely waste money and fail out. Learning a trade at trade schools is an absolutely amazing way to make money without going to college

Cool dude, glad to see so many tradesman browse Sup Forums for some reason.

It is. Thank you, fellow Amerifat.

college rape victim here

seriously tell your mom fuck off, i promise you're making the right decision. Move if you have to, don't get in debt.

Ok. Sorry about raping you.

buddy made 85k last year being electrician, bought a van and is starting small business with my plumber buddy.

bump

please :3

Trades have been gutted by illegals, in Texas you would be lucky to get 14/hr as a welder whereas if you own your own shop you can charge 50/hr and pocket 27-29/hr. Basically, in the trades you just need to own the means of your production and sell your services instead of working underneath others to make good money savy?

Even if you graduate, jobs aren't guaranteed when 1000000 Patels and 700,000,000 Xianwens are standing in line in front of you. But please, pull yourself up by your bootstraps buckaroo! It's free markets you see, yess, yessss, be a good goy and "compete" with the immigrantes

People in college should not give advice on college. You haven't graduated yet. You haven't seen how shitty it is.

t. someone that feel for the STEM meme hard. Have a B.s. in Molecular Bio and a B.S. in Materials Science and Engineering. Guess who gets the jobs. People that started working when I started college.

Leftists confuse formal education with being knowledgeable.

I was as an electrician in the US. Union, so work sorta goes up and down. If you work steady throughout the year you avg 80k or so. More if you are on some overtime jobs. No debt for me lol

Basically: Karl Marx was right, most everyone on this board is an absolute idiot who you shouldn't ask life advice from because they haven't lived long enough (13 y.o's with Autism hardly qualify as someone you should seek life advice from tbqh).

In this particular situation, I've worked as an engineer, as a welder, I've owned my own contracting business and now I'm a trader/import-export salesmen.

What college helped me do: Secure an engineering job

What college can't help you do: Whatever happens when you lose a job/can't get a job because the economy is shit

So to recap: College helped me achieve my personal goals in life, will it help you? If you want to be a weld engineer or a production engineer (factory overseer essentially) then yes, if ALL you want to do is be a machinist, then trade school would be better.

In summary: Life is hard, there are no perfect paths, quit comparing yourself to others who have gone down the college meme and be the best citizen you can be. There is no protection from being fired that someone with a college degree will have, there is no protection from poverty that someone with a college degree will have HOWEVER- college does help you obtain some types of jobs (government/engineering/stem gigs mainly).

user, you have to understand that you should go to college because you have a passion for a subject, not because of money

Seeing as you're probably an underage shit, you can take your time. Become an electrician and maybe go to college for EE later

D-DELET THIS

God Speed user.

Join the military. It's lit as fuck senpai

final bump

thanks bros

Come to New Zealand with an Electrical Engineering degree. Nobody wants to do it.

You're retarded.
bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/mechanical-engineers.htm

Altogether, engineering jobs are increasing at a rate of 4% over a ten year period. The jobs are very much there across the board for engineers.

The only people who puppet this engineering / compsci is a meme bullshit are the people who bite the bullet, know they're not college material, and suffice with a job in a trade. I don't know a single engineer who's not clinching a $80,000+ starting position coming out of their internship.

it all depends user id suggest looking a where your mum is now with her formal education and if push comes to shove you can always join the military and exploit that GI bill you yanks have got if unless you dont pass requirements.

>Hot girl fucking up at 66 block
why

>#2 It is more difficult to automate this job
That's smart thinking.

This, the whole "STEM will get you a job" is just a meme no longer relevant after post-2008

EVERY field is saturated

cause i actually wanted people to respond to my thread

Tell her that you will go if she pays for EVERYTHING. If not she can shut her fucking trap.

Also IT is far superior than electrician just fyi. JUST AN FYI FAGGOT, FUCKING OUT OF MY DATACENTERS REEEEEEE

Why do you make a thread asking for advice and then disagree with everyone who has a different opinion than you?

Honestly if you are academically inclined go to college. It's not a waste of time if you work hard. If you aren't good in school go to tradeschool.

what did those phones ever do to you, cunt?

>when I graduate high school this June
L
M
A
O
these are the Sup Forums posters

A M E N
M
E
N

the retards complaining about "sjw bullshit" in college are just oversensitive babies. even outside of stem as long as you arent a sjw major, you arent going to deal with it

>molecular bio
>materials science and engineering
choose better degrees retard. molec bio isnt career level at undergraduate and the second one is just you being a retard

Czeched

Electrical work is a good choice. Don't fall for the STEM meme like some want you to (t. PhD biochemist here). By skipping college, are you losing any potential benefits/scholarships that you can get only when young? If not, then put it off. Worst case you hate electrical work and maybe decide to go to college later, doesn't matter if you don't go right away.

I'm going intro electricity and just want to know how hard is it? I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done and I'm willing to study my ass off if need be.

For those who are very intelligent, I'd say college is a good investment. By this I mean like IQ 120+, ACT 30+. They can get good degrees and become the intellectuals of the next generation. For those less intelligent, a trade school is a fantastic idea.

Lineman

>sit in shop for 8 hours a day playing cards because there is no work to do
>get paid for it
>get paid meals
>get pension/health insurance with no cost to you
>get insane amount of overtime if you want
>work a bunch of hours in a row gets you a day off paid. if you work that day you get insane money

Wtf Kek loves electricians

>college is for wage slaves!
> ... ten years later
> dammit Obama, bring back our jobs

Conservatives, everyone.

The bottom 25th percentile of college jobs pay no better than the average high school graduate.

Get a EE degree from any school OP. Is your mom paying for it? If she is it is a no brainer.

What you dont understand is that College IS a waste of time because the MAJORITY of degrees are useless. A EE is not one of them. AND you will be 10 steps a head because you know the propaganda/indoctrination is coming.

How many different guys did you bang in college?

The socal marxists was to make everything FAIR by forcing people to do things. Why dont they ever propose FORCING colleges to top out at 5k a year? Not enough wealth transfer..

Surely there can't be that much propaganda in an engineering school. Right?

Yeah, but they keep their jobs.

So do electricians.

You have multiple options OP, you fag.
1) Get a STEM degree.
2) Learn a trade.
3) Join the military.
4) Have a connection that gets you into a career.
5) Don't do any of the above and ruin your life, you aspie.

Why not start your own college for 5k a year? Surely such a business would succeed if the market is under-served.

There was a big for-profit college in my area that had roughly that rate for tuition. Guess how that went?

You do you, man. Learning a trade is good, and you'll be comfortable for the rest of your life.

If you're already trained to be an electrician, like employed and either actively involved with, or have completed trade school, then what the fuck is she worried about?

Electricians can make like $100k+ year, and it gives you a path to eventually start your own company or do private/cash work as well on the side. Almost every electrician I know is either extremely well off, or works the bare minimum (a week or less per month) for cash and chills.

Seriously what's she thinking, that you're going to go to university for 4-6+ years, then come out, start some entry level job making ~$60k/year and have to climb the corporate ladder? You'd have made like $250k+ in that same time just working as an electrician and gained tons of experience.

Trades are arguably the better path to go from the get-go anyway in many parts of the world.

Yup, for now. Hopefully they're never overtaken by cheap labor the way construction was.

>College grads make significantly more money over the course of their lifetime than high school fags.
What's the comparison between college and trades?

fwiw I do agree that the pendulum is swinging and we'll probably see a lot more competition for good trade jobs in the future. That's why it's good to get started as an electrician now rather than suffer through 4-8 years of college getting a meme degree.

WHAT in the FUCK is that goddamn whore doing to that punchdown block.

You sound like you know where you're going, do the trade and be done with it.

College really is a jewish scam.

Why not enlist in the military?
You'll get a GI bill to pay for college, or you can do college classes while your still in through tuition assistance.
Bonus points if you join up for a military intellegence job. You'll get a top secret clearance which makes you very employable. You could easily work for CIA or NSA or an intelligence contractor after you get out and get your degree.