TeaPeePee

Can somebody red pill me on TPP.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/politics/comments/5poxjt/donald_trump_to_sign_executive_order_signalling/
telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/11621804/Tobacco-companies-prepare-multi-billion-compensation-claims-over-UK-plain-packaging.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Gook NAFTA

Why? It's fucking dead already desu

I wanna know if im happy about it or not. I havent looked much into it.

it means all the non whites have to fend for themselves

Yo no soy gringo y vivo en los estados.

fpbp

It was just another multinational trade agreement that benefits the corporate elite in the nations involved, at the expense of the local power of law.

but why isnt China in the TPP?

The entire point of the TPP was to economically isolate China.

Kek can't read for shit, sorry

So then China benefits from this?

In short, It would make 3rd world countries richer while making 1st world countries much much poorer , much less powerful and much more diverse

It was basically designed to do two things

1) Export US style copyright law (DMCA style shit) to other nations

2) Allow foreign corporations to take local governments to a binding tribunal decision any time your local government gets in the way of their (((interests)))

The rest is basically free trade fluff.

The TPP being dead is a good thing.

If I remember correctly, deep inside the TPP there was a part where it mentioned ANY use of music/images/etc that you don't own will be copyrighted.

You wouldn't be able to use pics on Sup Forums anymore.

Also this. The TPP was a major part of Obama's "tilt to asia" or whatever he called it. It has a lot of the same problems the ACA had/has.

>Can somebody red pill me on TPP.
No more free animes

Chinese toilet where they dump their shitty products and wipe their ass with US dollars.

You're happy about it. The TPP would have been hell on earth for anyone not involved with the inner workings of big business.

Basically
Truly free trade
No regards to the environment
Outsourcing of even more jobs
Corporations can sue governments if they pass legislation that impedes on their profits(Basically aristocracy/plutocracy)

Fpbp

reddit.com/r/politics/comments/5poxjt/donald_trump_to_sign_executive_order_signalling/

>NAFTA is pretty crucial to the US economy. The TPP is good in the sense of giving the US alpha status in globalized world. Without it China can swoop in and claim that putting a ceiling on the US as far trade presence goes. There's a lot of misinformation and ignorance regarding how globalized trade works. It's very confusing.

>Trade deals are good for the economy. I think the US struggles with wealth redistribution. Voting Trump in won't fix that.

>No, it's not good. It's only good if you want to see China unseat the US as the global super power. The TPP was meant to contain China's economic growth, without it, more countries in Asia-Pacific will pivot towards China and they will economically outmuscle us in 30 years.

>Anti-trade economic illiteracy is surprisingly non-partisan. Bernie Sanders would have ripped up the TPP too. Doesn't mean it's a good idea

Written by jews and top companies behind closed doors.

Any congressman that wants to look at it gets ushered into a room with no cellphone and gets to flip through the hundreds of pages of legalese

Lets people sue across borders, opening up persecution of pirates, torrent users.

A bunch of other shit I'm forgetting.

Damn no wonder Memeie Sanders is so against it.

>Reddit is kind of dumb. TPP would have extended our influence

>The honest truth (as I know it) was that TPP would cost us a few jobs but greatly extend our world influence. It was also designed to curb Chinese influence in South America.

>Exactly. China is going to negotiate trade deals with someone. It wouldn't have been a bad thing for that to be the US.

>Reddit progressives did what Reddit progressives do: latch onto a couple things in it they absolutely despise while completely ignoring the net good it would do, assume the worst case scenario will happen, and believe that since every single snowflake individual isn't included in the backdoor dealings that it must mean rampant government corruption is afoot. So now the legislation is the definition of evil to the Reddit progressive.

>Reddit progressive here, I've been in favor of TPP for long time in order to keep US influence in the Pacific. I've also been in favor of retraining the rust belt to take advantage of the new economy, rather than try to bring back jobs that will never come back. We want new jobs, not old jobs.

It allows corporations to sue states for infringing upon their profits (eg. with environmental protection laws).

It also incentives corporations to move jobs to countries with the lowest wages.

>>On the other hand: the labor and environmental protections in it are very weak
>Spoken like somebody who has never read the TPP. The TPP has the most extensive environmental/labor protections of any free trade agreement in history. Why do you think those protections "are very weak?"
>>it's not clear that U.S. workers would really see all that much value.
>It would have increased GDP, wages, and full-time employment, as well as lowered prices for consumers. It also would have significantly benefited other countries like Vietnam.

>Congratulations activists: you helped defeat the secret plot to make the world a better place.
>Now, instead of a trade deal that protects worker's rights and has environmental protections, we get to see what China wants in the deal. My guess is worker's rights and environmental protections don't make the cut.

the TPP, CETA, and TTIP need to die so the idea of private tribunals letting private corporations sue governments dies with it
along with the SOPA/ACTA zombie limbs

Neoliberal capitalist plot to destroy nationalism and homogenize the world as much as possible in order to create a single market for goods and labor.

> Allow foreign corporations to take local governments to a binding tribunal decision any time your local government gets in the way of their (((interests)))
Protip: foreign corporations can already do that. They've been able to do that for decades, it's codified into thousands of bilateral trade deals and it's not going away anytime soon.

TPP was actually a step in the right direction in this field because it would have made these arbitration proceedings and decisions more transparent and start to treat them more like actual courts where interested third parties could submit opinions so that the arbitrators aren't just getting two sides of the story.

A broken clock is right twice a day. People who actually read this shit hailed it as a step in the right direction that actually protected the rights of smaller countries in a big trade deal, while at the same time letting the US swing its giant economic cock around.

God I fucking hate that place

Its shit and its good to be gone. America has to fuck off Europe now. With everything.

That opinion on the TPP is just naive. Preventing China from gaining more power isn't worth implementing massive rewrites of our laws. The agreement is too abusable, and the only protection against it would be the goodwill of those in power. No wonder the communists loved it so much.

Hey guys. You guys in your basements. See ya got a political discussion board that depends on substantive contribution. That's nice. I'm not gonna contribute though. I'm gonna write a one-line writing prompt, then run off to a busy night of eating Mistress Mandy's shit. Thanks for replying though.
--OP

>evil nazi trump is against it so that means I have to be for it

In a nutshell really

A conspiracy to make megacorporations take over the world. They can even sue governments.

>No wonder the communists loved it so much.

Barney Sandals is still against it though. He used up his yearly allocated alpha cuck day fast this year

Nah not really, you're just cucked

NO, THAT'S THE POINT

A way to prevent China from gaining influence in the Eastern and Southern hemisphere

ISDS are included in trade deals like TPP.
Where private compagnies can sue foreign state and make you taxe payers pay for it.
A corrupt official could purposely fuck shit up for a company and share the goodies.
That's one.
It's good for some countries like Vietnam in shit, but not for the first world. They basically become exportation platforms and you are there wasting the money you don't have on the shit they build.

Also the right to intellectual property in the TPP is a straight hit to your right to privacy.

TPP is bad

>108680443
Is it a coincidence that NAFTA can be translated to oil?

Keep it relevant you fucking retard

>allows corporations to sue states for infringing upon their profits
Your summary is completely incorrect. Never in the TPP or any other free trade deal is a corporation allowed to sue a state for decreased profits. The state has to take an action tantamount to expropriation (think nationalization) before the corporation can even think about filing a case. And the corporation has to prove that the state deliberately expropriated their investments with the intent of disenfranchising the corporation or trying to seize their investments.
Never mind that environmental protection laws are usually treated with very high deference. Take a look at the Methanex v. US case: California passed a law banning a certain chemical. Some Canadian chemical company filed a suit saying it was an expropriation, everyone in the US freaked out over this. A few years later, the arbitral panel ruled that the Cali law was valid and the chemical corp could go fuck itself.

Nice argument.

>TPP was actually a step in the right direction in this field because it would have made these arbitration proceedings and decisions more transparent and start to treat them more like actual courts where interested third parties could submit opinions so that the arbitrators aren't just getting two sides of the story.
I don't know that the transparency would have helped all that much desu. People aren't interested in things they can't understand in a tweet or a meme. Weather or not they're public, ISDS laws are just capitulating to plutocracy. Hopefully they can rip them out of NAFTA and all the rest too, although I doubt I'll live to see that day.

>mfw Canada has actually been sued for billions under NAFTA

It was not even a >MAKESYOUTHINKHA
I'm genuinely curious

telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/11621804/Tobacco-companies-prepare-multi-billion-compensation-claims-over-UK-plain-packaging.html

No, ISDS are real, a corporation can sue a foreign state. Even a fucking tobacco company.

Hillary's Gold Standary.

>Handing sovereign powers to corporations willingly

Thank you based Trump for saving the USA

And all my liberal friends are silent about it

>mfw the US has never ever lost a case in ISDS

There is a huge discussion and dispute over ISDS in academia today. I personally believe that they serve a pretty important role in stimulating foreign investment and trade. But people fall prey to populist arguments on both the left and right about the big bad evil foreign corporation trying to bully developing nations (when it's from the left) or trying to pick a fight with us (when it's from the right). The reality is not so black and white, but it's hard to persuade people to think otherwise.

Don't even need to know anything about TPP.
If (((they))) want it, we don't.

Asian pivot iirc

For as much good that ISDS might do in stimulating investment I don't know that it's worth the risk. Can you imagine if these tribunals were popular in the days of DDT and CFCs? We'd still be using them because it would be illegal to ban them, lest some poor death merchant lose his business. The idea that a democratic nation can give up pieces of its own sovereignty to cater to the whims of private institutions makes me throw up in my mouth a little. Surely there's a more reasonable alternative somewhere.