How can we solve antibiotic resistance problem?

How do we solve antibiotic resistance problem? Give them only to select people?

>On Friday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released a disturbing report about the death of an elderly woman in Washoe County, Nev. What killed her wasn’t heart disease, cancer or pneumonia. What killed her were bacteria that were resistant to every antibiotic doctors could throw at them.

>This anonymous woman is only the latest casualty in a war against antibiotic-resistant bacteria — a war that we are losing. Although most bacteria die when they encounter an antibiotic, a few hardy bugs survive. Through repeated exposure, those tough bacteria proliferate, spreading resistance genes through the bacterial population. That’s the curse of antibiotics: The more they’re used, the worse they get, especially when they’re used carelessly.

>Already, more than 23,000 people in the United States are estimated to die every year from resistant bacteria. That death toll will grow as microbes develop new mechanisms to defeat the drugs that, for decades, have kept infections at bay. We are on the cusp of what the World Health Organization calls a “post-antibiotic era.”

>And we will miss antibiotics when they’re gone. Minor scrapes and routine infections could become life threatening. Common surgeries would start looking like Russian roulette. Gonorrhea and other sexually transmitted infections might become untreatable. Diseases that our parents defeated — like tuberculosis — could come roaring back. The economic costs would be staggering: In September, the World Bank estimated that between 1.1 and 3.8 percent of the global economy will be lost by 2050 if we fail to act.

nytimes.com/2017/01/18/opinion/how-to-avoid-a-post-antibiotic-world.html?_r=1

Other urls found in this thread:

livestrong.com/article/1007744-stds-can-cause-infertility/
m.pnas.org/content/106/12/4629.full
businessinsider.com/antibiotic-resistant-superbugs-are-causing-bacterial-infections-2014-12
tbfacts.org/xxdr-tb/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacteriophage
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Lets ask the new head of the FDA

You don't need to. The resistant strain will die down a few decades after the cessation of unregulated antibiotic use in the region. So you don't really have to worry about it.

>implying we can solve it
It's the same issue with guns. The cat is out of the bag. People aren't going to willingly forgo antibiotics.

>Gonorrhea and other sexually transmitted infections might become untreatable.

This part will be beneficial.

It will cut down on degeneracy by natural selection.

Get into a swinger gang bang, have your dick rot off and then die.

Those are not essentially life threatening diseases though so it won't really affect "natural selection".

Billions in r&d

But they are fertility threatening diseases.

Untreated STDs will usually lead to infertility, resulting in a loss of gene transfer by natural selection.

No they aren't.

>Chlamydia and gonorrhea are the most common bacterial STDs. Doctors often describe them as “silent” infections because the majority of people diagnosed with chlamydia or gonorrhea do not have any symptoms. For this reason, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend annual chlamydia and gonorrhea screening for all sexually active males and females age 25 and younger. Untreated chlamydia and gonorrhea can adversely affect the fertility of both men and women.

livestrong.com/article/1007744-stds-can-cause-infertility/

Phage therapy

Nuke the chinese, they are the ones using the "final solution" antibiotics on cattle without a care for the consequences

The creation of more potent antibiotics have not only caused the appearance of killer antibotic resistant strains, but also kill off all of the necessary gut bacteria which prevent infections. It's a self perpetuating cycle that is seemingly designed to kill off humanity.

Minimize their use to absolutely necessary instances.
Emphasize proper cleanliness and curb the spread of disease to begin with.
Require doctors checkups before allowing international travel.
Ensure that antibiotics are taken properly.

The current problem is directly caused by poor health practices and abuse of antibiotics.
Here's a scenario:
>be middle class retard
>get sick because don't wash hands
>go to doctor, disease is minor and body could fight it off alone
>I have health insurance and the doctor likes money
>he writes me prescription for antibiotic because lol why not
>supposed to take for 2 weeks
>I take it for 1 and start feeling better
>"Fuck it I guess I don't need these anymore"
>disease in my body wasn't really defeated yet
>antibiotics were just suppressing it so my immune system could fight it off
>surviving bacteria survived because they were resistant to antibiotics
>if I had kept taking the pills my body would have genocided all of the bacteria
>because I stopped my body now has to finish off the normal bacteria and the resistant ones.
>resistant ones now have a chance to reproduce and spread.
>because I'm an idiot and I'm feeling better I decide to go on the plane trip to Switzerland I had been planning
>again, I don't wash my hands

And now I've just spread an antibiotic resistant strain of whatever I had to the entire population of switzerland

>How do we solve antibiotic resistance problem?

stop using them

Phage therapy. We've had it for around a century already but it's only seen use in commie countries where profit isn't a big concern in medical communities.

pic related, russian hackers in lab coats use viruses to hack infections

Then people die anyway?

What's the best way through substances that strengthens my immunity?

>give them to select people
>stop using them

Africa uses them all day everyday. Africa, once again, will be the forefront for diseases.

Making animal agriculture illegal would be a start they consume 99.9% of antibiotics.
Since that isn't going to happen because no one takes doomsday scenarios seriously, perhaps we will actually start taking all the rest of our barely followed health protocols seriously.

Also not producing cigarettes would help. Pretty sure we can blame a couple epidemics that spread on cigarettes like the 1918 flu.

Not to mention people nowadays pop pills like they're skittles. My friend pops penicillin for anything! Then when he got sick and had to do got the doctor for a foot infection the doctor said your resistant and we need to get you on like super penicillin but after that we can't do anything.

Tell liberals to fuck off at a&e and save the antibiotics for aryans

Why not get infected with a virus that'll kill the rebeling antibiotic and then kill it?

There's a lot of reasons other than antibiotics to shut down the meat farming industry. Giving up meat sucks, but we're going to eventually be forced to with the world population still massively growing like it is

the majority of antibiotic resistance comes from the food industry, shit is so over-used by farmers/factories/etc and we eat that shit every day.

Leaf is right. The bacteriophages are also more beneficial because they do not kill gut flora and only specific bacteria. That's also is a drawback because it narrows the effectiveness against certain diseases but also means less irritating side effects like bowel problems.
>What if they happen to mutate and start killing human cells?
Highly unlikely. Bacteriophages are not as complex as other viruses and even if they do mutate they will most likely not be deadly and can be treated with antivirals.

Now think of all the shit those millions of sand niggers flooding into Europe are carrying that they have a natural resistance to...

If a bacteriophage mutated into something bad I'm pretty sure we'd be able to pick it up and isolate it pretty quickly

this is retarded just make better antibiotics

it's not like you wont get killed by not using antibiotics

Same shit we have natural resistance to.
Huge killer epidemics like smallpox wiping out the natives happened because the Americas were totally isolated from the old world, worse yet the Americas had no huge killer pandemics like the old world did.

Good to have a backup tho. Diseases are quite unpredictable.

Fucking this. We dont even necessarily need to kill the bacteria directly with phages. I read a paper from some doctor at UCI who was using modified phage to suppress expression of the SOS response in bacteria. I cant remember what species were being used but the effectiveness of different fluoroquinolones increased ten fold.

invest more into anti biotic research. We're just gonna have to keep coming up with more and more as more become resistant.

Asks for an executive order.

majority of people have no symptoms..?

Damn, I want to get tested now just for not being a virgin

Stop giving them to every little affliction. If it's not life-threatening, you don't need them.

Stop giving the medication to genetic retards that can't even use our technology without threatening the future of humanity

Prescribe less antibiotics.

It is supposedly much less of a (growing) problem here because you need a doctor's prescription to receive any antibiotics.

pharmacist here, multi-resistant pathogens are inherently less fit than their wild-type relatives. healthy people can usually fend them off quite easily. it's only really a problem for people with a weakened immune system.

also, wash your hands with soap and water before eating or touching your face.

Checked. Dude if you're sexually active you should be getting tested periodically.

Ever heard of multi drug resistant tuberculosis?

>108803468
DEFENSINS

>They will never research anything to replace antibiotics until they don't work at all anymore, there's too much money in them and when they all stop working they just send a team out with 10 mil and have them scour the entire globe, bottom of the ocean, Antarctica etc to find new ones to sell.

m.pnas.org/content/106/12/4629.full

Link for anyone interested.

We don't. This is nature's course correction.

It's the fucking burgers, they pop them like tic tacs and you don't need a prescription to get some of them.
Big Pharma rules them

I tried to get a research grant on non-pathogenic phages and defensins after leaving uni years ago and they told me to fuck off, too expensive to produce apparently

>It's the fucking burgers, they pop them like tic tacs and you don't need a prescription to get some of them.
That isn't the case. It is mostly third world countries who give them out without any diagnosis or even check in. If you say you have something they will just give them to you. India is one in particular that is a problem

businessinsider.com/antibiotic-resistant-superbugs-are-causing-bacterial-infections-2014-12

It's improper use that causes the super bugs. People do not listen to their doctor's instructions and stop taking them when their symptoms clear, rather than finishing the entire prescription. Some doctors even prescribe anti-biotics for sicknesses that don't need them. We'll also probably develop bacteriophages relatively soon, if not something else cutting edge.

Fair enough, that might have been Murica the 50's actually now I think about it, you guys are slaves to big pharma though that's undeniable.

The problem with making antibiotics Is not killing the host in the process.

Weve discovered thousands of "antibiotics" that are tremendously effective at killing bacteria, the problem is they kill the patient too.

We're fucked, there likely aren't any antibiotics left to discover, and even if we did, we'd use it so much that it would be ineffective again within 5 years.

We aren't in a discovery phase of medicine anymore, it's been an information technology since the human genome was sequenced. We're definitely not fucked.

>Fair enough, that might have been Murica the 50's actually now I think about it
Yeah. It was a lot worse in the 50's, but I am not sure if that was specific to America or not.
>you guys are slaves to big pharma though that's undeniable.
I think any country with a strong multi-national corporation presence suffers that, but I am not sure. I'd be welcome to seeing data on whether big pharma has a strong presence in the UK and EU.

Population control. The less people we have the less we use antibiotics the less resistant they become, basically allowing antibiotic research to catch up to the evolution of bacteria.

But we haven't created a new antibiotic since the 70s, and the one before those took decades to get out on the market fully.

Sure, a lot of the guess work is no longer a problem, but it would still take a long time even if we started tomorrow.

phage therapy

Tuberculosis has by and large been vaccinated against.

We found one last year but it's likely the last.
Texobactin I think it was called.
GSK and other big pharmas spend hundreds of millions sending teams out looking for new ones so they can have the rights and hike up the prices.

What if the viruses mutate?

I'm pretty sure America will genocide the rest of the world before we give up meat. Unfortunately, you will be the first to go, leafbro.

Bacteriophage therapy will render antibiotics useless.

Find out the hard way then.

tbfacts.org/xxdr-tb/

Pharma is a lot bigger over there, here we don't pop so many pills desu

>What if the viruses mutate?
They would need to mutate a tremendous amount to be able to go from infecting bacteria to infecting people. The Flu virus, for example, can only infect you through your respiratory system. If you could ingest it without exposing it to your respiratory system you would not get the Flu.

On the off chance that they do mutate, isolation and antivirals.

They will become the meat.

Soylent Green is made of...LEAFS

Didn't they just find a way to lessen resistance?

Nanomachines

>be a germ
>chilling out infecting normies
>suddenly the world is covered in poison
>it stings so much
>trillions of us die, unable to eat molecular tendies
>I am the last survivor due to various mutations that leaves poison unable to cuck my pores
>turgid F+ factor extends to fuck the last few bitches via conjugation
>spread my redpilled plasmids to everything I can
>germbros become too swole to control
>resist the jewbotic
>kill every normie
>the weak should fear the strong

silver

simple actually, stop giving out antibiotics for a few years, start accepting more natural deaths, and increase peoples immune system by supplementing with survival shield x-2, also get some super male vitality (liquid formula) for good measure.

>Gonorrhea and other sexually transmitted infections might become untreatable.
I'm pretty okay with that

>Be me
>Be immune system
>Just chilling, T Cells doin their things, killing the untermensch bacteria
>Oh fuck this one is tough
>Wait who are these guys that are fucking up these bacteria
Fuck yeah.png
>Rally up the boys to capture the dead ones so we can kill more
>The fights going well, removing micro-kebab pretty well
>Suddenly the other guys leave
>Still fighting them, the fight is still going well for us
>They begin to outnumber us
>The lymphocytes are trying their best but it's a losing front
>See the guys from before
Removegrampositive.wav
>Wait they're not killing them
>Oh god they're not even working at all
>These new guys are killing the cells they touch and not even effecting the baterial niggers
>Die because the Colistin is fucking poisonous

Bumping this thread with a smug protist

There are unpursued avenues of research such as phage therapy (developed by soviets and still available in Poland, iirc), using CRISPR-CAS9 (new) to either target the pathogen or target the immune deficiency that is allowing the pathogen to thrive. Keep in mind that most immune systems have failed at several points for a cancer or an infection to become a problem. Sometimes the failures are more common and subtle, sometimes they are rare and genetic. In the case of pathogens like Tuberculosis, there has actually been a selection over the years where those who have natural immunity were more likely to survive.

bacteriophages can only infect other bacteria. they're also a VERY common method of gene transfer among species of bacteria. bacteria of the same or different species will exchange DNA strands (plasmids) with each other kind of like an open source code repository, but with no central database.

This is true, but sadly it goes just beyond skin color. There are too many unhealthy whites and it is mostly due to lifestyle choices. Zionist Occupied Gut Bacteria?

We literally have had this tech torpedoed since the 60s.
But it works and was developed by the soviets. Its still used in Georgia (the country)

I hope we don't. The world is overpopulated because we've overcome diseases that should've slowed the growth rate.

Hahahaha. Microbiologist here. That BCG vaccine isn't M. tuberculosis it is M. bovis, the cow version. Also it has a very low success rate because as I said above tuberculosis is often an opportunistic infection and those who get clinical disease have some kind of immune system problem, thru their lifestyle and sometimes even thru genetics.

There is a new antibiotic against TB that is supposed to be super effective and is the first that can kill bacteria not currently in the growth phase, but it is expensive and its use is greatly controlled.

I don't think a bacteriophage can infect a human or any eukaryotic cell, but I have read about them carrying eukaryotic DNA (some bacteria also do this) and it is usually so the bacteria can re-create some kind of enzyme usually required by the host. I'm fairly sure a bacteriophage cannot infect a human cell, but then I fail to understand how bacteriophages could kill intraceullar infections, the bacteria that live inside cells. The immune system probably "flags" the infected cell with a receptor that that phage can actually attach to, so the immune cell steals the receptor and uses it as a beacon.