What was life like for the average Roman?

What was life like for the average Roman?

Other urls found in this thread:

pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti from Pompeii.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_Lives
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Based af

They cowered in fear as forreign hordes took over and destroyed everything they believed in.

probably the same as your average person who lived in the british empire during the colonial era
feels like you're living in the eye of a storm

Matters. Ancient Rome was around from ~500BC-~500AD

During the 40-130AD(ish) it was probably the best time for free persons, rivaling today's standard of living (considering personal liberty and such)

>We are born into this time and must bravely follow the path to the destined end. There is no other way. Our duty is to hold on to the lost position, without hope, without rescue, like that Roman soldier whose bones were found in front of a door in Pompeii, who, during the eruption of Vesuvius, died at his post because they forgot to relieve him. That is greatness. That is what it means to be a thoroughbred. The honorable end is the one thing that can not be taken from a man.

Average Roman was middle eastern looking.

They only became "white" after the barbarians invaded and settled.

First large wave cultural appropriation by whites.

>romans
>white

A SPEAR

It was ok, I don't remember much of the details, it was ages ago.

depends during which time and in which region he lived in

>They cowered in fear as forreign hordes took over and destroyed everything they believed in.
Sounds familiar.

Byzantians were romans

They lasted till 1452

We wuz roman emperors n shit niga?

The romans couldt resist the BGC

They don't believe that the Romans had Mediterranean features (as expected) but instead were nordic

This shit happens every thread

Grecoroman, and Constantinople fell in 1453, May 29, not 1452.

So the people from the Mediterranean pre-mass migration became a thing weren't mediterranean.

What the fuck is next they try to tell me British people in the 13 hundreds were actually sand niggers?

theres a lot more similarities than that.
>money goes from being made completely of silver to only a fraction of a percent silver. inflation.
>women are criticized for not being feminine anymore and not caring to raise children
>immigrant/slave/cheap labor stifles jobs for citizens, but are necessary to add more money to the economy so the government does nothing to stop bringing in more of them.

It was super racist and sexist because white men ruled. I'm glad the USA defeated the Romans.

You forgot to mention all of the populist appeals to the masses in the form of wealth redistribution and the seizure of wealthy land owner's estates to be given to foreigners who were now considered Roman citizens by legal technicality of conquest.

fuggin kek

Gog bless nuke the mongols :DD

It's lots of fun I like it a lot

That explains it very well it wasn't aryans that built all those aquaducts, makes much more sense that arabs made them since they are so good at irrigation as well

Nice try, kebab.

They shitposted just like us

pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti from Pompeii.htm

Lots of boy pussy

better

This is true, although the ruling caste of Ancient Rome were Nordics who had invaded from the north. Pic related, an artist rendering of Julius Caesar.

>USA defeated the Romans.

The fuck are they teaching you over there?

Delete this post goy-I mean anima-I mean anonymous!

Romans were the direct predecessors to modern day Italians :)

exactly sun bleached luigi

WE WUZ EMPERORS N SHIIEIT

Any time Mario ;)

its called a joke you inbred aspie

Hold on for a moment, are you presently making the claim that we were ancient Roman dictators, amongst other things?

>ass yag ok
>ass gay ok

Is this another joke?

R O M A
O L I M
M I L O
A M O R

Greatness

Yeah but at least their world didn't turn fucking brown

If you lived in the city, I would assume lead poisoning would be a pretty big factor, considering the aqueducts were lined with lead if I'm not mistaken

"roman", not "german", Hans

WERE ALL DA ROMAN WIMENZ AT

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_Lives

Not the average, but the wealthy. Still a good read.

For a Roman soldier?

You have all these pussy soldiers today who cry because they are on 6 month tours. Back in WW2 you fought until you the war was over - 4 fucking years out in the battlefield.

If you've ever read Odysseus, they would be out to war for 8-10 years at a time.

karma is a bitch

roman soldiers were on duty for 20 years, 25 if you were an auxiliary, not all at once sure, but still 20 years, Caesar's legions fought for 8 years in a row in Gaul and then in the civil war, they were downright un-fucking-stoppable veterans.

10 percent were slaves, 40-60 percent of those living on the Italic peninsula were slaves. It was probably shit

Of course it varied through history though, in the early republic most people were poor farmers that would be conscripted to fight wars every so often. The infant mortality rate was unimaginable and most people didnt live past their teens. The modern era is way more comfy for the average person

Oswald Spengler is a cold bamf

Terrible and depressing . There was little to no possibility of climbing the social ladder, you would likely be a poor pleb forever working a shitty job 12 hours a day or more. Unlike modern day there was little medication, little entertainment.

>20 years

That honestly sounds horrible

What's worse is I bet a lot of those guys had wives and were getting cucked back home beyond belief. can you imagine, 8 years away from your wife and kids, assuming the kid is even yours. I bet most of the kids were fathered by some weasley Jew running a brothel.

but it did
why you think people on Sup Forums always saying mediterraneans aren't white?

Lead poisoning wasn't a thing. Infact water pipes were made out of lead well into the 19th century.
Water doesn't dissolve the lead, only your spit or alcoholic drinks do. Drinking vessels made out of bronze therefore had a tin coating on the inside to avoid any poisoning.

t. archaeologist

I didn't even become fully sentient until I was at least age 16. I hardly remember anything before then.

Life of the soldier was very different for each era. But for a large part of Roman history the Roman army was made of largely non citizens who were looking to earn citizenship and they'd settle down wherever the campaign ended once their time was up

why do people always talk about crazy emperor nero and lead poisoning then? just a modern myth?

well, they probably waited until the levy ended to get a wife, around the age of 28-30 or so, and it wasn't so bad, imagine fighting against literally worthless peasants your whole life, they fought with shirts and shitty weapons while you had the best fucking equipment in the world, not to mention the best fucking training and tactics

>best fucking equipment in the world
Not always. There was a long period of time when Roman soldiers had to buy their own armor and equipment

the 20 years levy thing started with the marian reforms, which made equipment state funded, so that wasn't the problem

Based Spengler

Pretty much sums it up right here.

People like to romanticize ancient times but the truth is the standard of living in most places was pretty substandard.

Funny enough one of the places I read where life was good was in Samarkand during Tamerlane's time. People had access to meat, drinks and sweets 3x a day for an affordable price at a time where Yurop was struggling to even get shitty bread. Now that region is in turmoil or recovering from.

Ancient times was still shit though. Interesting to read though.

Short.

meant to post this one. what a prophet he was

>imagine fighting against literally worthless peasants your whole life, they fought with shirts

kek that sounds kind of fucked up but the way you described it is hilarious

I'm just glad the Romans destroyed Israel, very based of them. We need to do it again.

go look at how they did it if you want to laugh even more

How they destroyed Israel?

Or how they killed a bunch of peasants in rags?

This entirely depends on when you are reffering to. Early in the empire to be a soldier was a prestigious thing and only land owning romans were permitted to be soldiers.

During the later part of the empire anyone who could carry a sword could be a soldier and anyone with enough cash could be "roman".

Absolutely patrician

Fuck yes I loved that book.

well, both, it's not like jews very heavily armed...

No toilet paper or even the dreaded bidets. That sums it up for me.

It was the worst economic class disparity in human history.

The elites would order the middle class poor land owning legionaires to the other side of the continent to acuire slaves and while they were gone the elites would take their family land and use the slaves to work it. When the soldiers got back they had literally nothing and were forced to move into the heart of Rome wear they would work in a sweatshop the rest of their natural life, eating gruel and probably dying of disease in a few years.

This is while the patricians were so fucking rich they all wore silk made in China.

jews were*

I don't think Roman soldiers were allowed to have facial hair, for hygiene reasons

If you survived the 30 years in the military cozy AF. You'd get a house, a terrain and slaves no matter what

and until the rule of Marcus Aurelius beards were considered barbaric, after his rule they started considering them the greek way, philosophy and sheeit

Hideous.

The Byzantine Empire was actually much more Greek in culture than Roman. Justinian was their last shot at making Rome great again, and he couldn't quite pull it off.

Pretty good since Romans enjoyed a lot of liberties, slave labor and being the cultural and technological superpower of Europe, but thanks for reminding me of buying that book which documents the history of all Roman legions.

No Roman soldiers were well treated, being paid a bonus on discharge from the legions, along with a land grant in Gaul or Germany. Cologne, Mainz and Trier were all originally colonies settled by veterans

what's the source on this?

What fucking bullshit drivel have you read? Rome might be considered the birthplace of true patriotism towards the armed forces as it was seen as the ultimate service to serve in the legions.

It seems like the Jews were fairly powerful at the time considering Rome had to fight them on 3 separate occasions and lost of a lot of soldiers in the process.

I'm pretty sure Hadrian was the one to popularize beards among Roman nobles. Facial hair went out of style again after the age of the Five Good Emperors ended.

Wokeness

yeah, you're right

>Blondie has taught me to hate dark-haired girls. I shall hat them, if I can, but I wouldn’t mind loving them. Pompeian Venus Fisica wrote this

What did he mean by this?

But they were

but it did and it was the main reason for downfall of their empire

No, their downfall is from their world turning Germanic white

The Roman Empire lasted a long time, chaps. That patriotism disappeared some time after the Pax Romana because of how royally fucked over the plebians were by the patricians.

Compare the second Punic War to later barbarian invasions. In the second Punic War Hannibal annihilated the entire fucking Roman military on the Italian peninsula. Did Rome give up? NO! They conscripted every single male left in the city and made a whole new army! That's the resolve that won Rome the Punic wars and every other war early on. However it eventually got so bad for the plebeians that they didn't care if some non-Roman barbarian ruled them. It couldn't be that much worse than the patricians.

Rome was destroyed by the destruction of the middle class of land owners, a class that provided a lot of soldiers to the legion before the patricians started stealing all the land and having slaves work it.

Short and uncomfortable

>Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!
i will never get tired of that one

Nah, they mostly had unofficial wives who lived in the vicus settlement just outside the fort. In the classical period, that is. In later periods of the Empire, things got much slacker, and they'd just bring the family onto the base, replacing the old barracks with ordinary private houses.

>That patriotism disappeared some time after the Pax Romana because of how royally fucked over the plebians were by the patricians
There wasn't that much difference between either class right before the end of the Republic, there were tons of rich plebeians and patricians who had fallen into poverty. If anything the Empire made the distinction between both meaningless since the grandest Patrician institution, the Senate, had gotten completely fucked over and Emperors needed the support of their own armies more than anything else to keep themselves in power.

But your last sentence is essentially right.

Not true, though, the patricians had very little role in government by the late Roman empire. The emperors were all military men and the people with power freedmen or barbarians, patricians basically sat around the senate doing nothing.

Rome prospered by the destruction of the landowners, the best legions happened after the Marian reformation, the Camillan and Polybian legions were nowhere as good