Why did France screw up that bigleague

back 250 years ago? I mean, JESUS, look at it - a sea of bleu!

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Jersey
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Jersey_(1779)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_the_Conqueror
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_VIII_of_France
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabella_of_France
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jèrriais
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Dugua,_Sieur_de_Mons
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Pavia
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrosius_Aurelianus
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because they got their asses handed to them in Europe!

They weren't honourable with the Indians and got chased outta town.

>Because they got their asses handed to them in Europe!
No. The real reason was the lack of migrants. Going to America was pretty much a death sentence at the time and France could only send prisonners and desperate people. England had the "chance" to have a huge religious crisis who solved itself by sending the losers in America. In France, the religious troubles became a war and made the country weaker.

In the end, the "sea of blue" was barely populated by a few thousands french with Iroquois allies and the red was 20x this number.

French monarchy realised it was a lost caused and thought north america was less interesting than the caribeans, they choosed sugar and seas over furs and lands.

Very few settlers, didn't put near the effort into colonization efforts as Britain. Treaty of Paris from France and Injun War.

French people were much friendler to natives than English people. Hurons were notoriously good allies for France because of Jacques Cartier (not the Iroquois, scratch that, they were Huron's ennemies)

Pretty much this. Hence why the British territories never really expanded more than that red either.

they surrendered

The only areas of that sea of bleu that was colonized was Quebec, Maritimes and Louisiana. The rest were just territories where the French traded, fished and set up forts

It's easy to explain by those countries nature. England always lacked space to devellop, they were very interested by colonizing new lands.

French never completly occupied its own lands in Europe, so colonizing new ones were not a priority (before Algeria, which was for economic reasons) so they pretty much only built outpost and used natives for trading while English colons were building entire cities.

nope, napoleon sold the territory to Americans for a very little price

our lads were tearing shit up in French Canada. They were losing territory rapidly quickly and had to sell to america so it didnt fall into British hands

He is right. Louis XIV sold land too in order to get money for european wars

>faily to conquer a tiny island within swimming distance of their country

>TWICE

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Jersey

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Jersey_(1779)

Thanks for those prisoners btw. They make excellent food. Have you ever had gumbo? I'm sure you wouldn't, you uptight diaper on a stick. LE FRANCH QUOXIONE LE EXCKS DIOEE

The thirteen colonies and Anglo-Canada were populated by British people and nigger slaves, the Spanish colonies were populated by nigger slaves, injuns, half-spaniards and full-spaniards.

The French colonies were fucking empty, nobody lived there.

Englishfags posting with American IP address ITT

You sir are absolutely correct. The only settlement in that area big enough to call a city was New Orleans which was small until the Louisiana purchase. The rest of the territory had trappers camps and a few trading forts. It was much harder for French immigrants to get to the heartland there. Not to mention a ton of hostile natives, though some traded with the French and even learned the language.

France was bankrupt and Napoleon needed money for war

Still got cucked by a Russia

there is a term for it, i forget what it was perhaps some kind user could remind me.

basically, france didnt have the people in place or the power to get them there in time, in order to actually hold on to the land. britain did. france saw the writing on the wall and got what they could out of the deal before they were completely without bargaining power.

>Englishfags posting with American IP address ITT
You mean Colonial IP address, right?

Algeria was a pretty nice place under French rule. I know a man who was born there, he had to leave as a child due to the exodus of French from the region. At its height there were 2 million French living there.

Oh but we did invade the tiny island

THREE TIMES
> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_the_Conqueror
> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_VIII_of_France
> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabella_of_France

I always laugh at Algerians trying to disunite the race by attempting to dishonor and insult the Race that colonized and expanded the race, it has no basis in reality.

>Have you ever had gumbo?
And I can cook some. What do you think ? We're not the best cooks in the world for nothing.

Its way easier to defend than to attack, also add the fact that they were defending an island and honestly, its a wonder they even bothered to try and take the island with such a small invasion force. A basic siege requite at least 2-3x as many soldier as the ones defending the city, anything lower than that is to insure oneself a crushing defeat.

stay mad frog

Sorry but we are actually Norman, I can feel the blood of Guillaume running through my veins.

Catholic countries never figured out how to do development. This why Latin American countries are still dirt poor compared to Anglo-America.

Algeria was still a great place before the 90's. Islam then Boutef ruined it.

Now to be fair William was a Norman and he was promised the throne but the saxons defaulted on that promise. But he did use French tactics of the time such as implementing heavy cavalry into his army.

Then Brits exiled us to America and we turned it against them

Doesn't explain the two others.

Also you royalty spoke French until the 18th century.

>Going to America was pretty much a death sentence at the time

Do you have any sauces on this? I'm pretty interested in that period of history, and I'd like to learn more about colonist mortality. Everyone bitches about the natives not being able to handle Eurasian disease, but I see less on the reverse.

Also, we had a thriving trade in Irish Slaves, er, Indentured Servants for the colonies. You should have deported all the Germans in Lorraine or something.

Religion has nothing to do with it, only race.

Well he was culturally French and linked his dynasty to the extremely french Plantagenet, duke of Anjou.

we spoke our native lange until the 1960s:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jèrriais

Yes in England only the peasants spoke English. But the English court spoke high English by the time of the tudors. But famous kings such as Richard I spoke only French. DESU Richard only spent a total of one month in England during his whole life.

No, England was completely capable to expand more, the people in the thirteen colonies wanted to expand more westward, the british just didn't want to cause a war with France, but it happened anyways.

Because the dutch started trading guns for beaver pelts

> Sauce
I have the best you can think of, "Candide" by Voltaire. He described perfectly how America was a hellhole attracting fools who usually lose everything in return. You have many other stories like that of desperate nobles seeking fame or fortune and ending up broken or dead.

Correct I was just pointing out his ancestry, he did owe allegiance to the king of France before he embarked on his expedition. After being crowned he owed allegiance to no one. But the French influence can be seen in our language since 40% of it is of French origin.

Sorry I didn't saw the tiny part upon the english flag. So you're from Jersey, great, I'm a breton. French don't like tiny islands, I think that's the only reason.

Oh yeah: YOU BELONG TO BRITANNY YOU FUCKERS ! GIVE BACK CLAY !

British colonys: Cities and farms

Spanish colonys: Farms, churches, and settlements

France colonys: Nothing

>he owed allegiance to no one
The allegiance came back 50 years later with the Plantagenets and just before the century war, the king of england was still technically the vassal of the french king.

Forts and tradeposts

>France colonys: Nothing
>what is quebec

That's cool that you are Breton, you are the only Celtic bloodline still in France. Brittany stood strong against the franks. In fact many believe that the historical figure known today as King Arthur was from Brittany and claimed dumonia (Cornwall) as his kingdom.

>I'm a breton

Come home Welsh man

French is the mother tongue of about 7.3 million Canadians

Québec’s GDP per capita in 2013, measured in purchasing power parity (PPP) with the US dollar, reaches US$36,216 PPP.

We belong to Normandy actually our language is just a dialect of Norman.

Though we all visit Brittany as children with school St. Malo is so beautiful and thankfully still white.

How is FN doing in Brittany?

True. France was never a country of mass emigration. Life is too good here to leave. Well, it was, before the niggers and mudslims.

DESU I think he was talking about the land bought in the Louisiana purchase. But even then New Orleans was a sizable city of almost 10,000.

>France was never a country of mass emigration
More like you didn't have the means to colonize lands, it is something that advanced people do.

Sorry I don't like sheeps

Yeah. And we lost everything because of our saint, Anne of Brittany, who married two french kings and gave away the duchy. Well ok, it would have been complicated to defeat France on our own BUT STILL !

Jersey was once Breton so it's like the Mount St Michel: ALWAYS BRETON

FN is doing extremely poorly in Brittany because we never forgive Jean-Marie LePen for being Breton and never talking about it.

They colonized Algeria with 2 million Frenchmen.

>France was never a country of mass emigration.
Well yeah, there was Algeria

Migrating is what advanced people do ? Syria thank you for those kind words.

Arthur was a latin-speaking celt from western England that united the Romano-Celts against Saxon invaders

Brittany was a colony founded by migrating Cornish people as the Brythonic peoples were pushed back in their homeland of Britain by Gaelic and Germanic peoples

Galician also has Celtic influence because Brythonic peoples also settled there

If I remember correctly you were independent well into the 15th century. I have to ask is there still a cultural difference between Bretons and French.

Algeria was the only exception. And Algeria wasn't colonisation, it was France.

> Brythonic peoples
> Romano-Celts
Spoiler: they are the same one

Syria is not using its own means to incorporate more land.

This. At the time, all of that area was wilderness and hostile natives, making it pretty much retarded to invest in the infrastructure needed to tame it only to get some shitty fur out of the deal. Hell, the United States didn't even really know what to do with it when we bought it.

>Because they got their asses handed to them in Europe! No
But you did. You guys lost pretty damn hard in Austrian Succession, Spanish Succession, the religious wars
>Going to America was pretty much a death sentence at the time
Are you retarded? Your peasants went to make a quick buck. Same with the English. Most failed and had to stay. Poor Frenchwomen and orphan girls were sent over so there was no degenerate interbreeding like in S. America.
>England had the "chance" to have a huge religious crisis who solved itself by sending the losers in America. In France, the religious troubles became a war and made the country weaker.
You forget that the early voyages to New France were funded by Hugenots/Calvinists
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Dugua,_Sieur_de_Mons

>it is something that advanced people do
All of Europe was France's bitch up until the mid 1800s, retard.

The truth is we truly don't know where Arther came from I was just telling one of the theories. But yes he was latinized. You are also correct about Galicia, red hair is still very prominent there.

>All of Europe was France's bitch up until the mid 1800s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Pavia

How the hell did France lose the War of Spanish Succession?

The Bourbons rule Spain to this day.

le mont est normand, norage

>I have to ask is there still a cultural difference between Bretons and French
Yes. We have the language but the French state pretty much destroyed it during the 30-50's. Beyond that Brittany was for a long time a backward regions in France, poor and less educated but when Algeria got its independance, DeGaulle started to be worried about Breton independantist and started to invest massively in Brittany, putting research centers, universities and high tech industry there (but no nuclear plant so we're still dependant for energy). Since then, thanks to this and european subventions, Brittany is now one of the most advanced and rich region in France. It's also whiter, with less crime and better academical results.

That "sea of bleu" were claims, supported by a couple forts and trade posts, Mississipi/Missouri boats, New Orleans and a few Cities in the Northeast (Montreal etc.). It wasn't settled. Many tribes there didn't know the Frenchmen other than an encounter or two per decade.

>Life is too good here to leave.
More like your people were all serfs to such a degree your peasants spent 5 years beheading all the aristocrats, and there's multiple award winning movies about how shit it was to be French

BS.
The French had much better relations with native Americans than the English.

>Austrian Succession
We took more lands than we lost
> Spanish Succession
WE PUT A FUCKING FRENCH ON THE THRONE, HE'S STILL ON IT, HOW DO WE LOST THAT ONE ?
> Religious wars
Yeah we lost against ourselves

> You forget that the early voyages to New France were funded by Hugenots/Calvinists
True and they failed miserably because Richelieux refused to back them up. See the french colonisation of Florida.

No empire of Franco-Spain.

Franko ruled Spain not a bourbon, the bourbon has no real power.

Didn't they ban Huguenots from settling in New France because it was to be an ideal "Catholic colony"?

They pretty much banned the only people likely to settle.

François 1er was a shit warrior, maybe because he liked Italia so much... he still crushed the Swiss into eternal neutrality though. Also please consider the fucking SIZE of the HRE at the time.

>More like your people were all serfs to such a degree your peasants spent 5 years beheading all the aristocrats, and there's multiple award winning movies about how shit it was to be French
>multiple award winning movies about how shit it was to be French

POUGHAHAHAA...

And yeah I confirm.

1. We are continental, not an Island.
2. Life was good man.

And where's Franco now ? The dynasty is in place since 300 fucking years, who cares about one dictator ?

the HRE did nothing, Spanish soldiers with Spanish colonies while being outnumbered destroyed the french and secured Italy.

this
pic related
that motherfucker

>Buying the French Revolution propaganda meme

Louis X more or less abolished serfdom, like almost all revolutions, it was the Bougeois middle class that instigated it.

Yes, they tried to go elsewhere like Florida but starved to death.

The PP rules Spain the bourbon is just ceremoniously in place,

>Austrian Succession
>We took more lands than we lost
Meant Seven Years War. Was thinking of the wrong treaty
> Spanish Succession
>WE PUT A FUCKING FRENCH ON THE THRONE, HE'S STILL ON IT, HOW DO WE LOST THAT ONE ?
See > Religious wars
>Yeah we lost against ourselves
My point was that you guys had the opportunity to deport heretics like the English. Could have made better use of capitalising on that one.

>2. Life was good man.
For a tiny minority of ultra-rich aristocrats

The average frenchman in colonial times was 4'10 and 70lbs, and subsided entirely on stale bread and drainwater

You might notice the HRE also has a north and western border with France which needed to be guarded so France couldn't commit all its troops against spaniards.

That's the tragedy of France, we're surrounded by ennemies.

There was no French desire to send colonists abroad. There was plenty of land to develop left in France. England on the other hand was completely parsalled out to either the peasants or to lords to hunt on. There was no land to be had in England but land was a status symbol, so they jumped at the notion of free land across the pond.

t. /his/

because some greasy italian manlet called Buonaparte thought it would be a good idea to sell New France for nothing in order to keep fighting his useless war in Europe

another proof that immigrants ruin everything

sorry we were busy, preparation for the revolution

Romano-Celts were influenced by Latin and their elites were Latin-speakers. Romans also sought refuge in the Arthurian court.

Also not all Brythonic peoples were Latinized, such as the Picts who were conquered by the Gaels of Dal Riada. There were also the Cumbrians whose kingdom formed part of the "Hen Ogledd" or Old North. Brythonic peoples once controlled the whole of Britain but now have Wales, Cornwall and Brittany. And of course are heavily Anglicized or Frankicized.

>My point was that you guys had the opportunity to deport heretics like the English. Could have made better use of capitalising on that one.
Huge, huge error from the French kings.

Medicis bitch wanted to kill the protestants, Henri IV wanted to make peace and keep them in France while Louis XIV just banned them and let them resettle in Europe.

None of them thought about sending them as colons. Richelieux kinda did but then forgot about it.

>it was the Bourgeois middle class that instigated it.

Well, that's a pretty politically correct answer.

Also the French Protestants migrated to Protestant colonies like the Thirteen Colonies and the Dutch Cape Colony.

>t. /his

Good history. I live right on the border of the Anglo Saxon advance into western England and Cornwall.
West Hampshire and east Dorset border to be precise.

Arthur is pretty much this person, ambrosius aurielanus

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrosius_Aurelianus

In fact the town I live in has an iron age fort with the adjoining land named Ambrose farm. The fort overlooks a deep channel river that connects to the isle of Wight, a fortress of its day and undoubtedly used in the fight against the Anglos

>Gaels of Dal Riada

True Elvish ubermensch

>The average frenchman in colonial times was 4'10 and 70lbs, and subsided entirely on stale bread and drainwater

Source please.

The only looses of spanish succession war were the spanish,we got a frenchies dynasty...so we fought the napoleónica wars for our "spanish"king against the French invader,I wish we didn't but back then spain was based af and took no shit from anyone regardless of consecuences (such great people such shitty leaders)

Anyways the French won but it wasn't their merit they won because the other austrian candidate suddenly became also the ruler of Austria so the prospect was a unified holy roman empire spanish reloaded,or an expanded frenchie (and all of spain was already being lost so war there was becoming pointless)and so war was fought between Austria and France for a while the French simply gave up spanish land in Italy and Spanish Netherlands in exchange of nothing and so spain lost territory and got to be a French cuck

Les Miserables (2012)