Why is College so expensive in the US?

Why is College so expensive in the US?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7PsmkAxVHdM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because of Donald Trump and other rich white people.

Because of our high academic standards, lol

No Canada the digits don't count

youtube.com/watch?v=7PsmkAxVHdM

It's highly subsidized (student loans).

Any time you flood a market with cash to be spent, vendors will up their prices. Then more subsidies, then higher prices, etc...

Just basic economics.

Somebody has to pay for it, and the Government won't. So instead it falls to the students.

FPBP

The GI bill and further legislation about college loans increased demand but supply didn't follow, then with Marxism and general leftism colleges started using more and more administration personnel rather than hiring professors and lots of funds went towards non-teaching goals like sports and research. So in the end you have lots of demand little supply and the resources aren't sent towards increasing quality of the service or quantity.

>mfw i'm going to become a doctor for 500E per year

Pensios, unions, teachers assistants instead of teachers, teachers that don't need to be hired to teach unnecessary coarses, etc

We have to take about 10-20 more courses than other countries in Europe for our bachelor's

A tertiary education costs relatively the same across all western nations. The main difference is, many governments subsidise this, therefore the taxpayer pays ultimately. That's hardly value for money.

Nice digits, leaf bro

wut? College isn't even expensive. Most state colleges have tuition under 6k a year. That's 24k for a degree.

Where morons screw up is they take out (((student loans))) to pay for their rent, weed, food, and other living expenses for four fucking years. Then they graduate and are shocked to find no jobs for archeology majors because they didn't bother to look at projected job growth, they just (((followed their passion.)))

Babysitting services are expensive for adults.

OHHH CANADA

Canadians are clearly Kek's chosen people with gets like these

it's an idiot tax, liberals wonder why they're always poor. it's their teachers that are taking all their money

Bullshit I live in one of the cheaper states and it's $3600 a semester for university

state schools are like 6-10k a year.

Big colleges that everyone aspires to go to are expensive

LOL
O
L

Attractive campuses are very wasteful
The market tolerates them because people are willing to spend money to attend a well-groomed university

So, nobody likes state schools?

Capitalism

This.

If they were going to subsidize higher education they needed to do it through the state schools, where they at least control pricing.

because of supply and demand. Of course a beaner doesnt understand this. there is alot of pro-college propeganda.

because they can get away with it

You can't live the "college life" there.

Is it true that in america your degree is highly tied to the prestige of your school and if you get a bachelor or master in a shitty one it will be looked down upon?

This. Colleges will charge as much as people are willing to pay, effectively as much as Government is willing to back students debt.

If you took the Government out of the equation, fewer people would attend bullshit classes and prices would eventually go down.

Alright, so 7200 a year at 4 years means you'll only have 28k in loans when you're done. Assuming you'll get a job that pays 40k or more after graduating, you would only be paying a small portion of your income to pay off the debt.

Almost everyone goes to a state school, but they use their student loans to pay their living expenses for 4 years.

kek works in blunt and overt ways

I love free education in Finland. I studied years for free and my country actually paid my living. I didn't even need to take student loan.

American college prices are just insane.

the federal government subsidizes loans. subsidizing anything increases the supply (in this case, "supply" is the supply of people going to college). when demand has been artificially inflated, prices will increase to reflect that demand beyond the market equilibrium price.

Sort of

You probably won't be working at Google or Wall Street if you went to a shitty school

But you can still find a decent enough job

Living expenses are pricey as fuck. Add on at least another 15k a year for living expenses.

IT ISN'T CAPITALISM!

it is the exact opposite. the government subsidizes loans. in a pure capitalist economy, only those who can pay will pay. when the government subsidizes anything, the true nature of the market has been subverted.

it isn't capitalism!

Outside of the Ivy League and top tier schools, it doesn't matter much. Some schools have specialized programs that are well regarded within their field and those students would get preference.

Honestly, most of college is about networking and getting your first job. Once you have your first job, your degree doesn't matter much. Nobody even asks for my GPA anymore and I only graduated 4 years ago.

That's your own fault for thinking you're a special snowflake who doesn't have to work while going to school.

Don't compare Yale or Harvard to the Technical University of Oulu.

Besides Finnish education costs are also insane. However your government, ie your fellow taxpayers paid for your education. So no Paavo, your education definitely wasn't free.

It's not really that expensive for what you get. If you compare it to other subsidized countries it seems higher.
Also, it's not a necessary thing so that's why the government doesn't pay for it.

>Why is College so expensive in the US?

Why is gas so expensive in Mexico? kek

government subsidized loans

>your fellow taxpayers paid for your education

I always find this funny, taxpayers don't pay anything in the West anymore, it's all debt because we're spending just so much more than we produce. Still, it's future taxpayers vs current taxpayers paying it so it's not too different.

Greed!

Well, the problem isn't only the gas price. Here in Mexico the minimum wage is 80.04 pesos or $3.71 per day. That's why people are so mad with the current government. Most of them can't pay for it.

Correct.

And that makes it even scarier.I just CBF going into further detail because our Finnish friend only attended Tampere University. For that reason I'm unsure of his ability to grasp the concept.

jews

Because most universities are public, and the states quit funding them.

The real redpill answer that hasn't been posted yet is that it's yet another part of the oligarchy debt scheme to keep westerners enslaved and unable to function. If you're in debt, someone owns you until it gets paid. You are not truly free and the plan is to one day use this to bring about another depression.

Well I never compared Harvard to Oulu university. US has over 300 million people, there's plenty of rich kids who can afford insane student fees for top universities. Not all schools in US are Harvard or Yale either.

I got high-pay programming job thanks to my education and I'm now paying it back with taxes.

In here it doesn't matter if you are rich or poor because you can still end up at top if you have brain for it.

Because teachers shill for it and tell you you will flip burgers your entire life if you dont go. Then leftists vote for more and more tax money to pay for more education. They spend that money on beautifying the campus rather than improving education. Meanwhile any dumbfuck jumps at taking out an 80k student loan which is completely predatory in nature especially for an English degree that is as easy to get as breathing. Those dumb enough to fall for it become slaves to their debt for the rest of their lives. These people then become bitter and angry leftist activists who petition for taxpayers to bail them out and provide more money fo dem education programs. The universities continue to gouge thr government and have no incentive to lower price. the cycle continues.

>Why is College so expensive in the US?

Because it is run by Jews.

BECAUSE THEY RECEIVE WELFARE FROM THE GOVERNMENT IN THE FORM OF GOVERNMENT-GUARANTEED STUDENT LOANS

Jews.

because student loans are guaranteed by the federal government, so universities can set any price tag they want

What does that have anything to do with it? A college wouldn't have to pay back the loan, a student would.

The number of students trying to go to college is staggering; even people overseas are trying to come here on an educational visa. It's supply and demand - we used to subsidize this in our public education budgets, but now we don't.

People are discovering what it really costs to go to college.

gov't subsidized demand increases equilbrium price

if gov gave movie theaters $10 per customer, they'd just raise ticket prices by $10 per customer, same difference to everyone involved, except the taxpayer

that's the murican ed system

No, but it means they can raise tuition with impunity. The federal government just writes a bigger check and high school counselors continue to funnel everyone to college. At no point does any student sit down and say "does paying $60k for my degree actually make financial sense?"

what i mean is that the gov pays X amount for someone's ticket

There's a lot committees and employees at the top making a lot of money

Theyre basically funneling your money

I can only speak for my state, but I imagine public universities have some sort of price controls that any changes to need to be justified.

pictorial explanation

Of course. What happens is that the state legislatures see all the federal backed loans coming in and they cut subsidies to the state universities claiming to do so under "fiscal duress." Then they raise tuition rates to offset the cut in subsidies. This is only a small part though.

A large part of the problem is people who use student loans to pay for every living expense for four years. Then they graduate with a degree in fashion design and wonder why they can't get a job. Forced to work as a batista, they're unable to payback the 80k student loan, most of which was just their rent and food expenses while they were "studying."

So raise public funding. Forcing everyone into diploma mills isn't beneficial to the economy. College isn't about a certificate, it's about fully actualized thinking. Or it's supposed to anyway, most people just think it's a ticket to a job.

Getting away from job training is the reason we have a trillion dollars in outstanding student loans. How many self actualized batistas can one country afford to support?

little johnny NEEDS to become educated in diversity
and we NEED for niggers to get in for FREE
everyone NEEDS college
oh, white man can't afford it? that's okay, no grants for you, just some student loans.

The best colleges on the planet exist to suck China of its Communist Party dollars as the kids of the elite flock here for school.

In every single public and private university International Students are more valuable for the college.

alot of women and minorities get in that don't meet the same standards as asians and whites, its a simple supply and demand problem

Someone is funneling your money through the college education system.

Most of these colleges have buildings on them that are 20-100+ years old, that's not where your money is going. The professors are getting paid shit. Some of them are still PhD students themselves. And they put one professor in a room with 40-300+ students. The school isn't providing you with any learning materials, you pay for those on your own. The parking fee is usually labeled surcharge, maybe $50-$150 a semester so you know exactly how much you are paying for the parking system. Most of the research is done via government grants.

So where does your thousands per semester go to? Someone at the top is raking in millions of dollars from these students and the students are footing the bill. College is a literal scam.

It is in today's society. Most recruiters won't touch you without a degree, even if it's an easy as fuck job like playing with excel spreadsheets.

Because gov pays for people's tuition so unis decide that if they increase the cost the gov will increase spending, a back and forth thing that's been happening for a while.

Student loans, colleges will charge as much as they can as long as the money is there

And now-a-days college is pretty much a requirement for a decent job

How? There's only so many jobs open. Besides, outside of the very technical, professional degrees you're not supposed to need a specific degree to do your job.

The whole point of a liberal arts education is to bring a different perspective to any job you take.

This country is choking on it's own reluctance to provide for it's own citizens; people are locked into jobs and debt that are far beneath their talents because they have no other choice for health insurance or money. We should be encouraging small business entrepreneurs, but all we ever do is pass tax breaks that large corporations take advantage of.

>The whole point of a liberal arts education is to bring a different perspective to any job you take.
Uhh, no. Depends on the liberal arts degree. Your study in West African Zulu Interpretative Dance is not beneficial to anyone. These types of programs need to be nicked from obtaining federal loans.

>This country is choking on it's own reluctance to provide for it's own citizens
That I can sort of agree with.

The problem is we also have a race problem. Half the country is brown and useless. Do you know how much money this government spends on welfare, police, and the jail/prison system? You don't think that is a huge drain? There's a reason countries like Denmark and Sweden and Germany were doing so well is because they had an intelligent ethnically homogenous population. We don't have that anymore. Providing free healthcare to a bunch of overweight miscegenated ghetto trash with a plethora of birth defects is a huge drain on the system. But political correctness is preventing this country from doing what it needs to which is to revert to a Western/Northern white European favorability in immigration.

ban all shitposting leafs

>the point of a liberal arts education is to bring a different perspective

Yeah, I'm sure the baristas with graduate degrees in Gender Studies and 120k in debt really appreciate the "different perspective." It's a waste of resources. If you want a different perspective, take a yoga class at the gym. It's absurd that anyone would get a 50k+ loan for a degree that isn't directly applicable to their future career.

>Your study in West African Zulu Interpretative Dance is not beneficial to anyone. These types of programs need to be nicked from obtaining federal loans.
Anthropology degrees teach us a lot about people and how they interact with one another. Just because you personally don't see a benefit doesn't mean there isn't one.

Just like the God and the Jews, even though they crucified his only Son.

t. anthropology major

Enjoy your useless degree. Don't lie to yourself, you're not benefiting anyone.

I wish. Didn't finish college, got a nice manufacturing job instead.

I tried to be reasonable with you but now you're just being a faggot.

You're either baiting or a literal retard.

Study West African Interpretative Dance if you want, just don't expect to get student loans for something so useless.

>be me
>do German cause I like it
>minor in accounting to have something applicable
>go to job fair
>told to get bachelor's and cpa before entry level job
And we wonder what went wrong, instead of training people they get sent to college

If there is a benefit, then you'd be able to get a job doing it. What percentage of anthropology majors are actually working in that field?

Admins pocketing money
Federal government involved in loans
Useless majors for women and niggers to fuck around in while the taxpayer subsidizes them

I'm not sure. We've cut public funding for the sciences so many times, I doubt it's much. You could use it to get into grad school too, if you wanted to become say, a lawyer.

I'm not advocating it as a career mind you, I'm just pointing out that it's not as useless as autistic-kun would have us believe.

If you enjoy studying it then go ahead. Just don't cry about how much school cost and how big your student loan is when you can only get a minimum wage job after you graduate.

Many reasons. Demand is much greater than it used to be, Government subsidies are at their lowest point(money from Federal and State governments given to the University) and easily accessible credit (student loans).

I believe all of those factors to be irrelevant to the choice of degree and could be made up with specific public works programs.

We should be subsidizing tuition.
We should be funding the sciences (which is, in fact, one of the Congress' jobs).
We should be making it easier for people to start their businesses beyond simple tax cuts.

We already subsidize tuition and look at the results: millions of worthless degrees. Let the demand from the job market decide which majors people pick, not some government bureaucrat.

In fact we don't subsidize anything, we provide guaranteed loans which really aren't guaranteed so much as people are forced to pay them back no matter what.

In any case, we're not letting "some bureaucrat" decide, we're providing money to let people decide for themselves.

States subsidize tuition at every public university. The difference between in state tuition and out of state tuition is what the state subsidy is.

People can be free to decide for themselves, but there should be a cost to choosing poorly. Government shouldn't incentivize choosing a major that isn't in demand with employers.

This, my school bends over backwards for all the smelly poo graduate and commie chink students here. My school is only around 20% white. (((They'd))) never do anything to jeopardize their easy shekels, and the white man is running away.

And subsidizing bullshit non-major gen eds so that Joe and Jane Liberal Arts can explain to engineers the importance of gender equality.

How are we going to subsidize tuition for every single person?

Why should we change the already existing grant system where high-achieving low income students already get most of their shit paid for?

Why should tax dollars go towards degrees that will have little ROI? I went to school and paid my way through it, paid back the loans I did take out, now I pay taxes and my tax dollars go to subsidize someone who for all intents and purposes probably doesn't belong there to get a degree that won't get them the job they want? Nothing is free unfortunately.

>States subsidize tuition at every public university. The difference between in state tuition and out of state tuition is what the state subsidy is.
Far less than they used to. This wasn't fifty years ago, it was twenty. My generation was right when everything started to go to shit; classes quadrupled in cost as the state legislature slashed their budget.

>People can be free to decide for themselves, but there should be a cost to choosing poorly. Government shouldn't incentivize choosing a major that isn't in demand with employers.
So we should artificially limit the hiring pool and force employers to choose from candidates we find acceptable? That is literally the "some bureaucrat" scenario you cried against.

>How are we going to subsidize tuition for every single person?
Raise funding for public universities back to pre-2000 levels.

>Why should tax dollars go towards degrees that will have little ROI
You're trying to plan for tomorrow's economy by only using today's data. Putting constraints on what degrees are acceptable is counterproductive to the end goal of growing the economy.

I'd rather we have one failure out of a hundred than fifty successes out of fifty.

meant to quote too.

Government collateral for student loans = no risk to give a loan to a student, no matter how unable to repay it they'll be = 100% of those who want a loan get it = college can jack up their price and it wont affect the choice of their student/customer.

It's not an artificial limit on majors, it's the natural limit that demand provides.

Subsidizing majors with no job prospects is the very reason so many people view college as expensive. The government takes away the natural incentives to choose a major that is in demand. We have a major shortage of STEM majors, yet year after year people graduate with bullshit liberal arts degrees for which there is no demand.

I'm not sure why you think having a shortage of qualified STEM graduates, while artificially inflating liberal arts degrees, will grow the economy.

>It's not an artificial limit on majors, it's the natural limit that demand provides.
No it's not. It's you making a decision on which majors you think are relevant. That is the complete opposite of what you claim you want.