Civil War Thread

Post your Confederate or Yankee family history, any tales or stories you like, or just rant.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/hFOFCi1uVYk?t=27m39s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump I want some fuckin stories people lets go

Long story short, I had ancestors on both sides.

after the war during reconstruction in the appalachians, one of my great great (great?) uncles and his neighbor got into an extremely heated fight over yankees vs redshirts. the neighbor was a scallawag and my great great uncle was a die hard confederate. anyway being drunk as hell (like mountain people always are), the neighbor came to the house with a shotgun, chased my uncle up the houses steps and shot him down in his own house. apparently the family left the bloodstain on the stairs for the next 70 years so that nobody would forget what happened.

>just blood feud stories

Yankee. PA artillery co. Fell in a ditch and broke his back. Got a discharge and a pension out of it

I'm english but I like civil war music

Slavery was a mistake

youtu.be/hFOFCi1uVYk?t=27m39s

kommondors are the best doggos

One of my 5-6x Great Grandfathers
5th Confederate Kentucky Mounted Infantry
Killed at the battle of Resaca
Pic related

at least his neck was protected

I was there at Topeka with General Randy Marsh

Another one of my ancestors
14th Kentucky Union Calvary

Family from Tennessee. Throughout the years they pioneered the south, co-founded a town in Texas. Not sure if any fought in the Civil War but wouldn't surprise me.

Yankee because raised up north but born in Florida, father moved up to better support his family because career opportunities but don't really feel like identifying as a rebel or a yank, just American.

German tradesmen.
Came in 1880s. Moved to Kentucky as cabinet maker. Pulled job on a few mansions in San Fran, so moved there. His son was a cabinet maker as well, moved to Canada somewhere, left a few seeds there, maybe one generation stayed there, don't quite remember, then moved back. Grandpa was a plumber, stayed in CA his whole life. Father is a plumber, moved to WA in 96. I am a tradesmen in WA, soon to move to a red state, or one where it's not asinine to buy your own land. Dirty liberal hippies until me. Red pilled my father, who has red pilled some cucks. It's a bit of a shame, but I'll teach my daughter right. Especially in a nice red state that has actual morals.

Merchant

My ancestors were Southerners loyal to the Union. Except one on my mom's side, who fought against his Unionist dad in Gettysburg.

All i know is i had an ancestor who fought and died in the civil war fighting for the confederate side.

>grandpa drafted to fight for the je- I mean state's rights
>dad drafted
>son drafted
>only grandpa came back
TSWRA

This is a great grandfather from way down the line I found on ancestry.com. Confederate for the state of Alabama. His offspring would eventually make their way to Arkansas which is where I live.

he was apparently 6 foot something with light hair and grey eyes.

Ancestor was a captain from Person County, NC. His statue "guards" the courthouse there now. I'm pro-Union but appreciate his service.

>named after a faggot who hated the south
>fight for the south

My family came on the boat staring in the 1870s, ending in the 1910s.

idc jackson was based

lol he died fag

dont we all

My family's from the south and my last name had over athousand hits for service during the war with ~200 dead
>rebel at heart

Great-etc. grandpa (mom's side) was in the 11th Texas Calvary. He was an ambulance wagon driver, also saw some combat.

He died of pneumonia at the battle of Pea Ridge, Arkansas

My dad's ancestor was a prison guard at Andersonville for the Confederates. He survived the war, but was killed by a thief on his way home. Witnesses identified the thief, and they hanged him.

sorry i laughed at you

Great great great great grandpa and his brother fought on opposite sides of the war, grandpa killed his brother.

On my dad's side I've got a 5x great grandfather who was born and raised in Tennessee. He bought a bunch of cheap farmland in Illinois, but when the war broke out he traveled back down south to fight for the Confederacy. He was at Appomattox during the surrender.

I've got plenty more ancestors who fought for the south, but his is the only story I know completely. All of my ancestors who fought, fought for the south, despite my being born and raised in the north.

On my mother's side my ancestors are from the south, but settled on the Ohio side of the Ohio-Kentucky border in order to catch escaped slaves and send them back.

When I was in the Fighting Diamondbacks I got shot 4 times and barely escaped with my life

Civil war thread? Okay sure

Who /parliamentarian/ here? Fuck royalists

My family moved here from Germany after WWII when the Russians were killing Party members. I've adopted American culture, but don't have a rich history on the continent. Despite being indoctrinated since my youth with "slavery is bad the Confederacy was evil" I would have probably have sided with the Confederates from what I've studied though. Their independence mindset, methods of economic production and the culture of the South, is much more attractive to me desu

the confederacy was more in line with what the founding fathers envisioned

The big bad plantation owners you here about in school were actually few and far between despite owning the majority of the slaves proportional to the remaining farms in the united states. That may come as common sense but know that the number of plantations may have been in the single digits. This handful of slave labor moguls controlled likely 75-85% of all slaves if you count all subsidiary land under their ownership as well.

What I'm getting at is that people say the war was over state rights or slavery but that simply wasn't true. Nearly half of the recruits, the states incentive to join the rebellion, and propaganda that you are taught in school today was financially strong armed by the plantation owners. The south's lack of alternative resources and factories not only cost them the war but was also the reason it was thrust into it.

Those that they could, they would threaten into joining the war. At will they could crush financially tried competing farms, unless they sent their son to war. Times were hard so it was fairly easy to either threaten or claim that either they or the union would destroy their livelyhood. There just wasn't many options with or without slaves. The ones with the most to lose, were the ones who retained the best chance to stay afloat after the war. The plantation owners. America was a corporatocracy before it was cool.

Cavalry*

My 4th great grandfather was a volunteer in the 36th Georgia Infantry and fought until the end of the war. He was shot twice and lived with shrapnel in him until he died in about 1920. That's my direct paternal line one son to the next. My maternal lines are harder to trace but there's probably Confederate soldiers on my maternal side too since they're Scotch-Irish. My paternal side is Anglo and my maternal side is Scotch-Irish.