Just casually wachting a tv program about autism. Apparently talking too long about a subject you like...

Just casually wachting a tv program about autism. Apparently talking too long about a subject you like, being perfectionistic or even feeling slightly awkward in social situations makes you autistic. What the fuck is this shit, Sup Forums? Following this logic, 1 in 4 people are autistic. I think not.

The presenter has autism too, apparently. A lot of the things he says applies to me. Like the fact that he'd rather do tasks alone, or that he absolutely fucking hates it when children start saying everything in screams when they reach a certain age. All this shit is relatable, but labelling it autism is beyond ridiculous.

I genuinely believe this is just a set of personality traits someone can have. I have some of these traits but I'm not socially inept like actual autists. I like having small talk besides the fact that I worry too much about what I say.

Anyone else ever diagnosed themselves with severe life threathening autism just from watching a cheap production tv program?

Other urls found in this thread:

autismspeaks.org/what-autism/diagnosis/dsm-5-diagnostic-criteria
thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(02)07740-1/abstract
abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/02/heres-a-list-of-58-gender-options-for-facebook-users/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>but I'm not socially inept like actual autists
GTFO NORMIE REEEEEE

I'm pretty sure by current definitions at least half of people under 35 are autistic.

>you're an introvert? YOU FREAK!
It's basically shaming people who can think properly. Pay it no mind. They're fags, running scared.

Because its not black and white. It's a whole spectrum and maybe everyone is on it but to such a small extent that you wouldn't notice the symptoms.

so basically if you're not an automaton you're autistic, got it

>I like having small talk

Sup Forums is an introvert board
extrovert normies get OUT
REEEEE

When I was 6 I was more sociable than the other kids cause I was exposed to more of them than my peers (heres your phrasing joke for the 13 year old lurkers). My teacher tried to convince my parents I had ADHD and get me medicated at fucking 6, and she got told to fuck right off. This was the 90s.

If you act out you have ADHD/ADD. If you prefer solitude and don't interact they say you are autistic or depressed. Lose lose.

Ever notice everyone that drives faster than you is a maniac and everyone that drives slower than you is a fucking retard? That is how mental illness works. Unless you got some severe victimitus and want to be a snowflake to make excuses for your failures, you gauge others off of yourself.

Mental illness is overdiagnosed and kids are doped up on shitloads of drugs here, who grow up into good complacent consumers.

Let me tell you a secret. Everyone is fucking insane. It is a spectrum and 99.9% of people can be perfectly functionally fine if they want to be.

The only people that are actually sane are straight up sociopaths. Emotion is insanity. That is why the excel in society and so many become CEOs, doctors, and lawyers.

(((autism)))

take your pills goy. up that trazodone scrip. heres some for sleep. heres some amphetamine to make you work longer. heres some to make you happy with your shit life. CONSUME.

>If you act out you have ADHD/ADD. If you prefer solitude and don't interact they say you are autistic or depressed
>Ever notice everyone that drives faster than you is a maniac and everyone that drives slower than you is a fucking retard? That is how mental illness works.

you said it perfectly

>>Ever notice everyone that drives faster than you is a maniac and everyone that drives slower than you is a fucking retard? That is how mental illness works.

And someone with (((autism))) would say

"lets make two lanes, if you want to drive slow you go in the right lane, if you want to go fast, to go in the left lane"

>hey, i'm going to see a movie tonight, wanna come?
>maybe
>hey, i'm going to see that movie now, you sure you don't want to go?
>no, see you later

>hey user, how was that movie you're obsessed with now? you've been talking about it non stop for ages now!

being obsessed with something in the 21st century means mentioning it more than once. we have become a very easily distracted people...

Read the diagnostic criteria for yourself. Have to scroll down a little.

autismspeaks.org/what-autism/diagnosis/dsm-5-diagnostic-criteria

Perfectly said. Stay enlightened, user.

I have a diagnosed now adult sibling.apparently bad when she was a child to about school age. Instead of treating her like a retard my parents got specalized early education for free as it was some of the initiatial studies treating it differently than undiagnosed schizo. Regular school after that. Id argue most would just call her odd now and she lives in her own, fully functioning adult. Your rain man types are usually crippled with also having low iq, or parents who treated them like special retards as direct education to reading emotion and social situations is the only known effective treatment and it must happen early as possible.

GET BACK ON YOUR SIDE OF THE WALL

Should add my parents were firm no unnecessary medication. Add is just a kid that needs to run it off or be told to shut up.

Didn't you hear OP? Not being an absolute Chad with a silver tongue in every social situation and charming the pants off models when you first learned to talk means you're an autistic faggot and should castrate yourself

>If you act out you have ADHD/ADD. If you prefer solitude and don't interact they say you are autistic or depressed.

This is just untrue, there is a correlation between ADHD diagnosis, Autism diagnosis, and depression. If you're diagnosed with one, you're more likely to be diagnosed with the others.

>Mental illness is overdiagnosed and kids are doped up on shitloads of drugs here

Mental Illness I think is better understood, like the left says, as a social construct. "Having ADHD" would not be a problem in a hunter gatherer society where everybody is moving around. It's not the kids with ADHD that are strange, it's the society that they're in that is strange.

However, since we can't change society, we act like some kids have ADHD, and give them drugs to try and get them to fit into society better.

If you're a parent that knows that drug could be the difference between your kid being a graduate or a high school dropout, it's hardly that easy of a decision.

I was fed those pills when young. I tounged them, spat them out, yet all the authority figures around me raved about how much better I was doing. I got convinced people weren't paying attention to how the drugs affected me, and were just blindly drugging me, and refused to take them.

>The only people that are actually sane are straight up sociopaths. Emotion is insanity. That is why the excel in society and so many become CEOs, doctors, and lawyers.

Misconception, sociopathy is more likely to land you in jail or in legal problems, especially when it presents combined with low IQ. Turns out when you're talentless and a jackass society tosses you aside. It's also associated with extreme high achievement, but it's sort of a binary thing, sociopaths usually end up in jail but sometimes end up ruling the world.

Funny how that works in a way, reminds me of this old quote

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."

Sociopathy isn't sane because a society of sociopaths becomes a games of thrones like backstab festival. It's a parasitic pathology. They won't do things for the greater good of the nation, thus moving society and the entire gene pool further, they will just backstab their way to the top even if society crumbles around them.

If sociopathy was sane, we would all be sociopaths. Emotion exists for a reason.

I see where you are coming from, but I think you are confusing sociopathy with psychopathy. Most sociopaths function perfectly in society, and actually do much better and contribute more than the "average joe".

I wasn't trying to imply sociopathy is ideal at all. Empathy and tribalism is what build civilization. I'm saying that empathy is a result of emotion and emotion makes you irrational. Irrational behavior is a shade of insanity. Anger is an emotion. Someone with severe anger issues might be diagnosed with being bipolar or having intermittent explosive disorder, mental illnesses. Sadness is an emotion. Someone who is too sad all the time gets called depressed, a mental illness.

Basically, emotion makes you do irrational things and being overly irrational is the DEFINITION of insanity. The whole thing is a spectrum.

Get to know anyone and you will find out how crazy they are. Everyone has demons, the question is, "how many?"

>Having ADHD" would not be a problem in a hunter gatherer society where everybody is moving around. It's not the kids with ADHD that are strange, it's the society that they're in that is strange.

This. Define normal? Its basically just fitting in to society and what society deems as "normal"

hes trolling u silly roo

People with antisocial personality disorder, which is what sociopaths are diagnosed as having usually, are FAR more likely to end up in prison than the general population.

This study
thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(02)07740-1/abstract

found 47% of male prisoners had ASPD

Sociopaths have a hard time forming long term meaningful relationships, and tend to go from one person to another in parasitic relationships. This can make it harder to form things like families.

There seems to be certain very important roles in society that benefit from antisocial personalities, generally roles where if you do anything you ruin a few thousand peoples lives like CEOs or Presidents. Crime also, depending on the society, can actually pay. Still I would say your average sociopath in western society is pretty dysfunctional.

Of course, we can get really philosophical about what "sane" really is, but if we accept the axiom that people that have troubles suceeding in modern society are insane, than sociopaths are insane.

TV shows and movies make them seem like they're all high powered businesspeople, in reality most sociopaths are lonely people constantly getting into trouble with the society around them.

It's also highly correlated with substance abuse, forgot about that.

I think that is an unfair generalization about sociopaths. How many do you think go undiagnosed and just blend in? That is one sect of the mentally ill that are master manipulators and good at blending in. I cannot, however ignore that study, honestly surprised. I would have expected under 30%.

I think intelligence is a problem with crime and when you compound that with ASPD there are definite problems. I think intelligence is a huge factor in it, mental disorder excuses aside.

I also consider psychology a very soft science. It changes every 5 years. Freud and Jung used to be the Bible for fucks sake. Now they are laughed at.

I think you are missing that my main point is that mental illness is a spectrum and most people fall into the area where they are perfectly functional, but nobody is really "right".

Top 10 jobs for sociopaths are:

1. CEO
2. Lawyer
3. Media
4. Salesman
5. Surgeon
6. Journalist
7. Police Officer
8. Priest
9. Chef
10. Civil Servant

These are contributors IMO.

>Of course, we can get really philosophical about what "sane" really is

Haha I won't then.

In the end I really believe mental illness is just overdiagnosed, and people are over-medicated. I think stoicism is an admirable trait and lots of people with this happen to be sociopaths excelling in their chosen field.

Again, I think correlation =/= causation, but more often than not is.

I think intelligence is the leading root cause of crime.

Hello fellow intp-a

Big pharma brainwashing. Introverted = mental disorder. Give me a fucking break.

autism is a scale on which everyone can be placed, its just a question of where you draw the line between normies and not normies

but no, none of the things in that OP are indicative of autism

autism is about ability to pick up on social queues and reason what somebody else might be thinking/feeling

That's a valid point, maybe a better way to put it is that if you're DIAGNOSED with ASPD, you're likely to be a dysfunctional person.

I believe the primary reason why we have mental illnesses is to allow doctors to prescribe drug and treatments for their patients, and to be able to bill insurance companies.

You can't hand an insurance company a bill saying "This kid is all fucked up and he needs some SSRIs", you have to give it a name, like oh, he's "bipolar"

The groupings of mental illnesses are arbitrary. Autism is thought to have a ton of different causes for instance, it's sort of like how many diseases are called "cancer" despite them many of them actually being unique because of common similarities, or the conditions strongly correlate with eachother. Using a ton of differant labels doesn't make sense because it just confuses people, you group similar things together, and give them one label.

An autist now describes literally anything from an awkward kid to somebody that is so severely impaired they cannot go to the bathroom without somebody helping them. Yet the condition has exactly the same name.

I believe most of psychology, and psychotherapy, is weak loosely applied science. The very idea that by drugging somebody, you make them more sane, actually is a bit mad if you really think of it, especially when you realise the cause of insanity these days is often the society around us.

Still it does exist for a reason - people want to succeed in modern society, and psychologists and psychotherapists have better track records at making people fit into society than other folks. It's still pretty weak science, especially specific fields like social psychology with their MUH GENDER IS A SOCIAL CONSTRUCT.

Still back in the day when the catholic church used to treat mentally ill people, they exorcised them. Alternatively, people were just left untreated. It's easier to attack the Jews than propose an alternative to them.

You gave me something to think about though I could be wrong. I'm drunk and tired, goodnight leaf.

>Apparently talking too long about a subject you like, being perfectionistic or even feeling slightly awkward in social situations makes you autistic.

Well well well spoken like a true person that doesn't understand what autism is in the slightest and has no intention to.

My brother has high functioning autism (actually diagnosed, not some self diagnosed tumblr idiot). Some of the traits are pretty obvious when you've seen them for about 2 decades, but I think some of it is...

>Apparently talking too long about a subject you like, being perfectionistic or even feeling slightly awkward in social situations makes you autistic. What the fuck is this shit, Sup Forums? You know someone who reads webmd with some minor ailment and thinks they have some obscure disease with a prevalence in the range of one in a million? This is basically it. This is why you've got a bunch of special snowflakes on tumblr who diagnose themselves with autism (they might be figurative retards but I don't think most of them literally are autistic) and whatever disorder they think will garner sympathy and sate their desire to be recognized as eccentric/"so random!!!!" or whatever persona they imagine to be quirky.

>It's a whole spectrum and maybe everyone is on it but to such a small extent that you wouldn't notice the symptoms.
Thats a crock of shit, and the same crap that has led to people believing gender is a spectrum and facebook having 58 feel good made up genders.
abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/02/heres-a-list-of-58-gender-options-for-facebook-users/

>Apparently talking too long about a subject you like, being perfectionistic or even feeling slightly awkward in social situations makes you autistic. What the fuck is this shit, Sup Forums?
You know someone who reads webmd with some minor ailment and thinks they have some obscure disease with a prevalence in the range of one in a million? This is basically it. This is why you've got a bunch of special snowflakes on tumblr who diagnose themselves with autism (they might be figurative retards but I don't think most of them literally are autistic) and whatever disorder they think will garner sympathy and sate their desire to be recognized as eccentric/"so random!!!!" or whatever persona they imagine to be quirky.

I'm actually not angry at these kinds of people.

I'm amused, and a bit pitiful.

There is nothing glamerous about being diagnosed with a mental illness, or having people treat you differently.

It means always being an other.

It means always being on the bottom of the social hierarchy.

The more people treat you specially, the less independant you are able to become.

It's like, getting to live what will statistically be a thoroughly mediocre life, but getting the benefit of people pitying you and making excuses for you.

I can understand why Tumblr retards think they want that, but they really don't know what they're asking for when they want everybody to treat them like they're autistic. It's akin to beating treated like a child and living in never never land.

Ten years ago, being autistic meant you couldn't even understand someone's emotions, facial expressions, nothing. It means you were a broken human who struggled with basic interaction with other humans. Who couldn't read body language, or understand why someone didn't like x or y behaviour

Now being autistic means you give a shit and actually pay attention to finer details while simultaneously being awkward in social situations.

>constant existential crisis

intp here. can confirm

always have to try and stay distracted so i don't start thinking about how i'm going to die one day and never exist again for the rest of eternity

>It means always being an other.
>It means always being on the bottom of the social hierarchy.
>The more people treat you specially, the less independant you are able to become.
Yeah, I know. Ironically, these kinds of people tend to place more weight on labels and group traits than individual characteristics, so they label themselves asexual snowflake-gender autists, or you get people who are 1/128th Cherokee acting stereotypically, or Shaun King/Talcum X. They define their entire personality as traits typical of the group they like and develop an entire persona around it, rather than developing an independent personality.

Its depressing to see, and has a sad irony to it. These types of people are usually the most vocal "anti-racists" you can find, but simultaneously they define individuals of a demographic by the group traits of said demographic.

nonexistence is actually not that bad compared to the alternative eternal suffering

I'd rather just go poof than for heaven or hell to exist