Why do so few people vote?

The latest estimate is that only 55.3% of the eligible voting population actually voted. Why is that?

electproject.org/2016g

Hedonism, why care about shit like politics when you can do whatever gives the instant gratification you desire at that moment

mind control?
I dont know, they make it so fucking difficult to figure out which one is going to destroy us all. Really instills some apathy

Lots of people vote. Dead people vote. Illegal aliens vote. It's not just citizens who vote in our democracy.

Freedom.

There are a few times when I didn't vote. When the choices were shit, or when there was only one to vote for, or the incumbent was a sure win, and I didn't want to waste my time on it.

i really wish I could do this. I know its bad but can you imagine the feeling to just be free of all this shit that you know? to not just care

This has a lot to do with it. Both choices being shit in the minds of the people leads them to just stay home. It's less of a hassle than going to the polls and filling in some protest vote. I've sat out more than one presidential election for that very reason.

Most people barely know who the candidates are, let alone wanting them to go out and vote.

>or the incumbent was a sure win, and I didn't want to waste my time on it.

yea this is why i didn't bother in 2012. Romney was such a weak candidate. Like they sent him to the slaughter.

(((Voting)))

>Clinton would have led to war with Russia, a collapsing Europe cause lack of strong conservative country in Europe
>A nuclear war against russia
>Trump would have led to war with China, a collapsing Europe cause of cut trade deals
>No nuclear war but crippled country with china war

>Clinton would have led to economic collapse and a zombie apocalypse of Clinton army vs alex jones trump drone army
>Trump would try his best to bring back a dying country but powers that be would cause a shadow war that would spill over to trump drones fighting soros controlled drones, vote trump and deep state IDs you

44.7% of the population knows that taxation is theft

The Electoral College

I voted like my life depended on it, because it did.

too busy watching the kardashians and being a degenerate probably

>Millenials bitch and moan about Trump
>Don't vote
>Still bitch about Trump

55% is a lot, honestly the only people who should be voting are those who actually pay attention to the issues and truly care about them, which 55% of Americans sure as fuck dont .

The same amount of ppl who voted voted. Around 60m for each candidate.

People are fucking roaches. Go to a mall/ club some time

I don't know why this is universally considered a bad thing. Do you think people too lazy/apathetic to vote despite the government bending over backwards to let you would make it better?

If 75% of the country voted you would be getting Idiocracy-tier candidates

Because a large portion of people don't think that one vote matters, and they're right. BUT, when you add all of those individuals up, 44.7% of the electorate makes a gigantic difference.

Unless you're of the school that thinks the non-voting set of the population would parse out to the same overall distribution as the voting set.

I tend to assume that it doesn't matter because everyone needs to go to the polls, since the more people that vote, the more clearly we can assess the wishes of the population. More votes are always better.

I think a lot of democrats didn't vote because they were being told by the media for months that Hillary had it in the bag. All the illegals, dead people, and mentally retarded made up for it though (but thankfully not enough).

Not kidding, twice now I've seen an entire busload of tards being wrangled out to vote at my polling station. They can't wipe their ass on their own but they're over 18 so its their right to vote

No one cares, we seem to be the last people who do. It is a fight between Globalism and Nationalism now.

Low turnout is a great thing, probably only 20-35% of the adult population has the slightest clue in hell whats going on politically.

Half are to young to vote and are just jumping onto the bandwagon. It also doesn't help that the biased media is filling their heads with disinformation.

neither party was going to fix specific things. every one knows this. if those things matter a lot to you and you dont care about any social arguments or public safety there was no reason to vote

Another thing that's weird is that I can't find anyone who will admit to not voting. Granted, my friends and I tend to be pretty politically aware, and I work in an industry where people tend to be fairly middle-class-wage-earning, so there's probably some selection bias, but I can't shake the idea that there are a lot of people who won't admit to not voting.

Sup Forums and Infowars see it that way. Nobody else even thinks in those terms.

I'm sure some did, but generally speaking, people are slightly more likely to vote the more they think their candidate is going to win. She was just an atrocious candidate.

not every state is a swing state, lots of demoralization for the losing voters in those states
this election in particular was a "lesser of two evils" deal for a lot of people, whereas people where generally pretty enthusiastic about the chimp in charge

I don't know man. Every time I'm on line waiting to vote it's all

>oh did you hear how sally voted?
>oh, no, I was trying get tickets for the politics bowl
>oh, you saw it?!?!?!??!
>no, I had to pay Marsha to water my lawn, you know how she is

It's a total shitshow

"A citizen of America will cross the ocean to fight for democracy, but won't cross the street to vote in a national election."

Yeah Ive found that funny too.

Though it does depend what state youre in. Ohio had 72 or 73% turnout for example. So someone talking about politics(because obviously some simply don't give a shit enough to talk about it) from here probably did actually vote..

You should see the turnout when it's not for a president.

There are no lines, you walk in, you wonder if you're not supposed to be there, and then some old guy who's been sitting at the table all day is surprised somebody is here to vote since his morning coffee.