Uptalk or How I Learned to Hate Americans and Start Worrying

Why don't you guys shit more often on uptalk?

This is a seriously concerning issue, it triggers THE FUCK out of me.

Besides, 99% of liberals talk like this, that's why I'd expect it to be bashed more vehemently by the opposing sides.

Nevertheless, nowadays I feel like half of "conservatives" have also already adhered to it, because they've been taught by media and their single moms and are just blind to how cringeworthy it sounds.

It has been manifesting itself in WRITTEN form, and browsing any corner of the Internet has started to wear me down. Everything reads absolutely passive-aggressive.

Examples:
youtube.com/watch?v=pPZMy_JWsOU
youtube.com/watch?v=yDZYCagHeqQ

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/YvZ2B0uDM4g?t=30
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I think the thread is dying?

bump

This is old news. Hollywood popularized it with the "Valley Girl" shit in the 80s.

that's west coast shit you stupid mexican

bump

Not anymore, it has spread thanks to the media. The use of the word "like" as a filler and hedge is another example, and the general use of the passive voice.

>West Coast
EVERYONE speaks like that now, it's not limited to Valley Girls anymore.

Fuck you guys, there is a recent rise in this trend and every ESL that has learned English in recent years now uptalks. It's getting out of control.

I used to follow the progress of a Japanese girl learning English and, at first, her English was shit, but normal, affirmative, even charming.
After exposure to natives for a few months, she now uptalks all the time and I stopped watching her videos.

And what's the solution? There's no Academy that regulates the English language, and Americans wouldn't give a fuck if there was anyway.

It's cancerous, but there's nothing you can do other than mock people who talk like that.

What I'm asking is why is the Brazilian guy the only one who seems to care.

Everyone mocks gays with the lisp and other speech patterns. Ebonics is looked down upon by many.

Still, people are JOINING the uptalking masses and spreading this cancer without even noticing.

Ctrl+F "?" through some threads and you'll find it very close to you. Feel the passive-aggressiveness.

Because pol is full of cancerous threads and always has been that way.

Every once and a while you find intelligent conversation, but it's always been an ocean of piss.

I agree with you, and a lot of other people do if they stop and think about it, but it's just not an issue at the forefront.

THIS SHIT GRINDS MY GEARS Makes sense, locally speaking.
But it's not a Sup Forums-only issue. It's about the approach everywhere around. You can easily find Trump supporters out in the open bashing liberals, they're on every corner of YouTube.
I would expect equally some kind of revolt against this crap.

You can even make a meme against it when you run out of arguments against a liberal in order to ad hominem xim, how cool is that?

More

More

I don't know how you favela fuccbois do it in Portuguese, but those are just questions you're getting mad at right now.
Rhetorical or otherwise, starting a reply with a question does not automatically signal "uptalk" you fucking autist.

More
You are only used to it? I mean, you clearly weren't raised by your dad.
You should just kill yourself???

More

(Okay, this one was on purpose)

Ignore the 382 ending one, I brainfarted.

Good God uptalk sounds gay.
I've noticed people at work doing it too, it makes them sound disinterested and condescending imo.

I know a lot of people who speak like this
desu it's a away of being rude without using the actual words

uptalk sounds like one doesn't know when the setence ends and randomly emphases words

>Good God uptalk sounds gay?
>I've noticed people at work doing it too, it makes them sound disinterested and condescending?

I know a lot of people who speak like this?
desu it's a away of being rude without using the actual words?

uptalk sounds like one doesn't know when the setence ends and randomly emphases words?

Yes, everything can be turned into uptalk, as I did with your sentences. I figure there might be a degree of sociopathy involved (the passive-aggressiveness, making accusations into questions not to be confrontational and be the "reasonable" side of the argument), but there is also a good chunk who do it out of no actual social skills, they simply don't know how to speak with people and what would be a normal emotional response in a dialogue.

So instead they just upspeak? I guess? Trying to... kinda sense the mood? And if someone looks to not agree I can just top talking? At all?

Made a pic for it, any more ideas?

Pretty much. The "classic" version is ending every statement as if it were a question, as in English "lifting" the end of a question is normal.

That being said, a lot of OP's examples seem to be satire and shills, though I do understand his point. Quite unfortunate that non-english speakers are using valley speak as the model for their learning of english. That is one of the worst dialects to copy.

Southern/Texan is the best dialect for foreigners to copy. There is nothing really comparable to a Chinese immigrant talking like a Texan when he speaks English. This seems to also apply to Blacks raised in the rural areas as well. It is quite a thing to see a black cowboy being the announcer at a rodeo. You would never think he would be black based off his voice.

Dialects are a funny thing.

>>Good God uptalk sounds gay?
>>I've noticed people at work doing it too, it makes them sound disinterested and condescending?
God this is so rage inducing. I fucking hate California.

I actually agree with you on that? What the hell!

Good god this is suicide-inducing.

He, found something.

1/3

2/3

>literally the australian accent

3/3

I figure it also has to do with teens learning their shit from Tumblr, YouTube and other media outlets, and it becomes a "dialectal echo-chamber" of sorts.

Can you exemplify that black Texan thing?
I can think of Bastion's narrator, who PISSED THE FUCK OUT OF ME, but because of his shitty jokes, not the awesome voice/accent.

youtu.be/YvZ2B0uDM4g?t=30