Why don't we turn these areas of bridges/overpasses into storm shelters?

why don't we turn these areas of bridges/overpasses into storm shelters?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?q=under an overpass tornado&rlz=1C1AOHY_enUS708US708&oq=under an overpass tornado&aqs=chrome..69i57.4920j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They already are in LA, can't go past an underpass without seeing at last 4 tents

sounds like a government funded rape cave/drug den to me.

>an above ground tornado shelter

wont these just fill up with homeless people squatting in them?

another pic

sturdy structure made of 60+ tons of reinforced concrete

accessable to commuters and town residents

how long until hobo jim turns that into his heroin overdose and non-consensual hug bed and breakfast?

Both of these

Also some may turn into crack houses

Because if you can't lock them, what you've created is a rape and drug infested shithole for homeless bums.

If you DO lock them, then they're useless.

this

>works perfectly fine as a storm shelter as-is
>wanting to enclose it and allow it to become either a drug/disease ridden hobohole (poorly maintained) or a constant resource drain (well maintained)

please stop

It's going to be somone home during the nuclear holocaust

Because money. It would cost an immense amount of money to outfit that many sturdy, disaster-proof shelters (at 100% taxpayer expense too).

Additionally, people living in disaster-prone areas should be very aware of what to do and where to go in case something happens.

These shelters would see extremely limited use by a small number of people who likely wouldn't be in much danger anyway.

More likely they would just become hobo hideouts or crack dens.

shelter not home*

Because tornados are barely an issue. Like 100 people die a year to tornados. It's not even like stopping terrorism, which is really about asserting America's dominance against hajji rats.

Door at lowest level
Just asking to be flooded

You, you know your shit.

What if it was (un)locked automatically as part of the storm warning system? ADT can control your whole house remotely. I'm sure somebody could figure out how to rig up some automatic door locks.

>putting yourself in a giant tunnel during a high pressure weather event

Ishygddt

Because being out in the open during a tornado is arguably safer than being under an overpass.

google.com/search?q=under an overpass tornado&rlz=1C1AOHY_enUS708US708&oq=under an overpass tornado&aqs=chrome..69i57.4920j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Overpasses are one of the worst places to be in a tornado!

Good point. What if we create a institution of armed people that are paid to uphold the law and protect public and private property? Then we put some of these armed people around there?

You mean homeless shelters?

>Storm shelter under bridges/overpasses
>Areas usually in lower elevation

They would just be the first places to get flooded

You now realize homeless people live like peasant tier troops in the middle ages. Just give them some spears and tell them to go raid city hall. Instant vikings.

Overpasses are literally the worst places to be in a tornado or thunderstorm.

if those were in europe, they would be literal rape caves for muzzies

if they were in the US they'd be full of homeless/ drug dealers

They'd start overflowing with shit, piss, and heroin needles after about a week.

if you gave them spears they'd sell it for crack or kill each other for heroin

just drive around the tornado. problem solved

>yfw the homeless are always protected from tornadoes

This
Decent idea ruined by niggers and other degenerates

Hobo Rape shacks

Everybody knows the center of tornadoes is calm. All you need to do is go into the middle of one and you'll be safe.

This, Unfortunately.

People don't walk. Put a few park slots in there in case of hail

Such wasteful idiots.
Let's say you think an idea like this is necessary. All you would need is small concrete sides added toward the top and MAYBE stair for fatties who can't go up an incline to save their lives.
There, now you don't have to spend a million dollars on something no one will ever probably use.

You can't have this because niggers exist

That's a great idea.

Turnaders r scury

I live in houston and under bridges usually gets flooded, plus homeless people will just sleep there

I bet it will turn into a drug user area.

this screams hobo shelter. they would be full of needles, shit and garbage after a few weeks

Because of a little quirk in fluid dynamics. Normally, you'd need Storm Shelters to ride out Tornadoes, etc. However, wind speed actually increases in that zone in the underpass, adding a structure to block more of the wind increases its speed in the remaining open area, which makes it even more of a hazard.

>lets put a public building right next to the fast lane on the highway what could go wrong

This.

Underpasses here in the states (close to and in cities) are almost always full of left over drug paraphernalia and the occasional homeless person sleeping next to his shopping cart.

>implying this won't turn into a prime drug and rape location

The homeless should be the first to hang on the day of the rope.

>automatic door

what could go wrong?

I actually remember hearing that hiding under an overpass is just a meme and will get you killed during an actual tornado but hollywood keeps using it because so many people believe it to be true they wouldn't believe the movie if it said otherwise. I think there is a term for this effect when media has to use debunked myths because they've been commonly accepted, like how in the 80's and 90's most movies in space had people exploding when the air lock was breached.

Underpasses are death traps in storms. Just funnel the high speed debris right at me bro.

Still sounds like instant vikings to me

Thats not where you want to be during a storm

>Hey guys let's make our system entirely dependant on electricity that we may or may not have during a storm

This, I wish the media would stop spreading that dangerous bullshit that you go into an underpass should there be a storm.
Go lay in a ditch, 100% protected.

because then homeless would have no place to live

Thats all well and good but earth quakes happen, sink holes happen, homeless people will commandeer them...

We just dont have bad enough weather to spend the amount of money on something like that

The hell state has foot traffic on a highway?

>just drive around the tornado. problem solved

This. Tornadoes have an average land speed of 30mph and the really big ones crawl along at a snails pace (the wind speeds within the tornado are high, but they advance very slowly along the ground).

They are pretty common here every summer and you can just drive around them (or away from them if worried).

I have never understood why people who own cars decide to take shelter when they could just leave the area and easily outrun the tornado. If storm chasers have enough time to rush to where they touch down from the other side of a state, people living in the path can just as easily flee.

Better idea: hire people to lay brick until no empty space left? More people working and less asking retarded questions

because those areas intensify storm forces you dumb fuck, that's literally the last fucking olace you would want to be in a tornado/hurricane
this ctr shit is still infantile level

You dont know shit about weather, or the warning system in place.

1. Not everyone is a storm chaser with thousands of dollars worth of equipment

2. Not everyone is glued to the emergency broadcast system

3. The EBS is not instantaneous or precise. a report of a tornado can say its in one location heading in one direction, but a minute later its somewhere else.

4. Tornados occur at night and are impossible to see

5. Tornados are unpredictable. They can occur out of nowhere if the conditions are right and can change directions and be upon you before you realize. Its hard to judge the speed and direction of tornados and storm chasers are sometimes gobbled up by them or come close to it.

this would be filled with homeless drug addicts within hours

Because they'll turn into bum cities.

Also don't try to outrun tornadoes if you live in Oklahoma city. People died in traffic jams the last big tornado. If your freeways turn into parking lots during a normal rush hour commute you obviously won't evacuate in time.

see

Op's scenario is shelters for people who are already in cars driving around.

I have personally driven past tornadoes before. If traffic is low and visibility isn't shit then it is fine to just avoid them.

A tornado hitting a community at night is obviously a problem when people are asleep and miss the warnings. Underpass tornado shelters won't help them either.

Do you want bridge trolls? Because this is how you end up with homeless people living under those bridges.

Sounds like a problem that solves itself... Maybe OP is right?

>why don't we turn these areas of bridges/overpasses into storm shelters?

Because you have a broken society that would result in these places being overrun with squatters.

Every single one will 100% turn into a crack/heroin den

>tfw live in apt
Wtf am I supposed to do

I can give you a few good reasons.
>Door locks and unlocks.
Imagine somebody getting sealed up inside by accident.
>Door at lowest level.
Flooding.
>Door and power goes off inside.
Trapped inside to die.
>Cement fucking air tight room with the door shut.
I dont like Oxygen either.
>Bridge collapses on itself, nowhere to run except tiny door.
>Door gets blocked off by object, trapped.

Just leave it as is, people can easily get under the bridge from multiple directions and stay safe, where as the silly BOX WITH A DOOR limits the ability to make it safely under the bridge.

> easily accessible from road above.
> no wheel chair ramp with hand rails
You handi-ablist discriminatory son of a bitch.

Because wild hobos would turn roadkill by the highway

Public storm shelters already exist and have solved all those problems though.

The only problem they have not solved is hobos.

I think the idea is the door stays open, still offering protecion but allowing people to come and go at will. In terms of flooding I agree, it should be a raised door with steps and or stairs to the top of the road.
When they are shut it seems to suggest a person will physically check each shelter and then shut it.

hobos would just live there r u dumb

why? just go inside literally anywhere else

>Cars travelling at speed and slamming into your steel reinforced structure.
>Expecting them to survive.
This will probably kill more people than it saves.

>eople can easily get under the bridge from multiple directions and stay safe
Are you retarded, burger?
Do you not understand that sitting under a bridge during a tornado would literally turn you into mincemeat, because the bridge would act like funnel for all the debris-filled air?

wtf is this shit?
looks like piss with sand

Will Fallout be real?

An overpass already is a storm shelter. I don't know what the size of a tornado would have to be crossing directly over it to suck you out but it's huge. An open storm shelter would be more used as a rape center in any populated city.

Some ice cofee variants are pretty much just a slurpee but with coffee syrup instead of softdrink syrup turned into slush. Other types are like a watered down mocha milkshake.

They are pure sugar.

>rape cave

Congrats. You have designed the perfect gay sex den for people on the highway and a great homeless murder den.

Kill yourself.

You wouldnt need that curved thing behind the door. Virtually no wind would be hitting it. Its redundant and would encourage bottle-necking and stampede.

Storm chaser here, this guy is right.

Also OP, being under one of those highway bridges is an idiotic idea. Your best bet is to get into the ditch on the side of the road, cover your vital areas and get as low as possible.

Because no one,besides homeless people live near them

If you look at the design it looks like only opens during an emergency, it's not open 24/7

It's so weird to think this idea is just now coming to Brazilians. I could've sworn Brazil translated to lawlessness

Yeah, but if someone breaks into one, destroys the locks, nobody's gonna know until the next tornado warning... not unless you've got cops or somebody checking in on these every couple of days... that takes time and money, especially in counties with big stretches between towns.

The homeless and weirdos will dominate those areas. Pulling over near an over pass will now make it very likely you will be killed or raped.

Good idea but retarded and crazies will ruin it.

Good idea, and then when they're full of bums we can lock them in there

Standing under a bridge during a tornado is suicide. The wind sweeps right under and throws shit at you upwards of 100mph. You would be in pieces.

no, we don't get to have nice things.

damn nikka

because homeless faggots will just move in and it will become a crime ridden area with drugs and other shit.

Plus the odds that you are near a tornado and near an overpass and have just enough time to leave your car to enter said overpass is almost non existent. Shit like that only happens in a movie.

Bunp

Exactly. This is why we can't have cool shit.