The US military is studying how memes can be used to win wars

>Memes, as any alt-right Pepe sorcerer will tell you, are not just frivolous entertainment. They are magic, the stuff by which reality is made and manipulated. What’s perhaps surprising is that this view is not so far off from one within the US defense establishment, where a growing body of research explores how memes can be used to win wars.

>This recent election proved that memes, some of which have been funded by politically motivated millionaires and foreign governments, can be potent weapons, but they pose a particular challenge to a superpower like the United States.

motherboard.vice.com/read/meme-warfare?utm_source=mbtwitter

Other urls found in this thread:

dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a507172.pdf
archive.is/CA2ql
youtube.com/watch?v=lp8qUeEHPZ0
pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti from Pompeii.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=RoPV1FOATUo
youtube.com/watch?v=I-eVbJbgUpE
youtube.com/watch?v=SZnkULuWFDg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I won't paste the whole article, but thoughts?

>spending taxpayer money studying memes
I don't usually say this, but the US military budget is too big.

better than drone-strikes for sure m8

>using a bad shop of a dying game
I thought I could trust Motherboard

>one day you too can be Lt. General of the department of Memetic warfare.

wow. this is it. MGS has been memed into reality. 10-20 years and military will build a giant bipedal mecha robot. screencap this.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Bureau of Memetic Warfare, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 30,000 confirmed triggerings. I am trained in gorilla shitposting and I’m the top memester in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with rare pepes. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Meme Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, cuck.

>PhD memetic warfare

>I won't paste the whole article

Why not? Archive link it or screenshot the entire page.

> thoughts

Nothing new about this other than the name. Propaganda has been the big game since WWII, it ties into psyops and media manipulation, narrative control, astroturf, all developments in opinion manufacturing that's happened up to the present day.

Memes are just the modern equivalent of a leaflet drop.

don't you know by now that the military uses "studying" as a euphemism for "engaging in", "research project" for "shit we already have", and "observing" for "going to war with", etc.? congrats u trolled alongside people in the government

>This recent election proved that memes, some of which have been funded by politically motivated millionaires and foreign governments

i mean... if the military is repping digits

who am i to oppose?

We are the culture warfare masters now.

They're talking about how CTR was funded by Saudi Arabian money.

this is literally what Macross is about...

PROTOCULTURE

CTR was a gigantic failure run by a perpatual loser

why would they study that?

>literally just dehumanizing the enemy and morale boosters

I thought we already knew this?

Rofl i get your reference because i grew up in the 80s sweet vf1 on the way

OP is a slowpoke and a faggot.

Quit acting like this is news. This is old shit. You keep bringing this up to a lot of salty grizzled veterans of the Great Meme War you dumb ass.

MEMETICS—A GROWTH INDUSTRY IN US MILITARY OPERATIONS
dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a507172.pdf
>ACADEMIC YEAR 2005-2006

>not knowing our 'memes' are a brute forced, crude version of professional military grade memetics

this shit hole won an election using a photo of a cartoon frog, and you think we're wasting money by using it more with our military?

>weaponised shitposting .

>normies ruined ragecomics back then

>political shits ruined pepe

>now normies ruin memes once and for all

Pepe punishes false gods. Those who attempt to use meme magic against the will of Kek will be cursed tenfold by it.

Cory Booker was talking about this years ago.

archive.is/CA2ql

we need rules..

first rule of meme majicx: there is no majix

second rule: there is no majicx

Kekd

kek

>not asking for a meme budget increase
if everyone in the US were taxed just one extra penny we'd have some pretty sweet memes
youtube.com/watch?v=lp8qUeEHPZ0

>tfw all those hours spent mastering the dank memes might pay off into a well paying military carreer

> I could've bilked the Army out of precious tax dollars with my shitposting

Fug how do I become a contractor?

Military will embed destructive payloads inside images and use exploits to execute the payload. Memes will be the vehicle.

Wars are won and lost in peoples minds.

The US spends a SHITTON on propaganda and propaganda research. They constantly manipluate social media, mainstream media, really everything in an attempt to improve US morale and hurt enemy morale.

Memes are crude art, I'm reminded of graffiti, which spread ideas, memes. They're so plentiful on Sup Forums because Sup Forums is an unusually transistory place. To keep a thought pervading here over time, you have to get other people to say the same thought. Argumentation is one way to do that, but an arguably much more effective way is memes. Thus Sup Forums is infamous for being a wellspring of nothing but the freshest memes due to the high population and high darwinian pressure on memes.

Sup Forums even has a few mechanisms to ensure quality of memes, like declaring memes "forced", claiming they did not grow organically, but via somebody spamming them until people started repeating it.

Sup Forums is the bathroom door of the internet. A place that is usually crude, sometimes covered in shit, but has moments of deep insight.

Have you guys thought about how everything really comes down to iteration -- creativity, civilization, philosophy, technology, etc.? Everything comes from iteration. So maybe there's this single 'core' pattern and Everything is the result of its iteration.

The medium is the message and right now the medium is memes.

>Trump won the election with meme magic
>people are starting to notice the power of memes as propaganda tools
yeah no shit

>I won't paste the whole article

>being this desperate for a couple of clicks.

kys

>they're already taking Sup Forums's ideas and strategys

>your face on their big computer someday and you will be treated as some kind of senior agent despite zero training in central intelligence work

w-what timeline is this? i-i-im literally shaking right now

Quality post

where do I sign up?

I have a phd in this shit

How the fuck does a bathroom door have moments of insight you retard?

Fucking leaf.

archive.is/CA2ql

I was on mobile and it's annoying to do it. I don't write for fucking motherboard you syrup nigger.

Witnessed.

Honestly though, I believe you.

The next generation of shills is already here, bros. And they're evolving fast

You got Sup Forums to respond about a Vice article. Nice work!

It's nearly impossible to catch somebody writing something on a bathroom stall door. It's the one place outside the internet people are the most frank and honest. The vast majority of people that write on bathroom doors are user.

The bathroom stall door was the predecessor to Sup Forums.

pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti from Pompeii.htm

Here's something you might find interesting if you haven't seen it already.

>serious military strategists are reading our shitposts
>our shitposts are making the US military stronger

sheeeiiit

A weapon to surpass the metal gear

Vice plebs act as if weaponized shitposting is new

youtube.com/watch?v=RoPV1FOATUo

Memetic warfare kek

>dont allow comments
media is so chicken shit

To be honest they need to establish a Federal Dept. of Memes

>ruined

user if they start fighting with memes we've won
That's all that matters. They'll finally recognize the Meme war. It's literally happening.

Sorry guy but you aren't seeing the endgame here. Even just for this year. 2017 is the year of Jewpremacy.

yeah honestly I mighta enlisted had I known this was going to be an opening field. I shitpost for free, when I could be getting gibmedats

Kek was not the first. Other, older expressions of Me-me as divine exist as far back as Sumeria and the deity Enki. Still more ancient, preliterate memes doubtless lurk in cave paintings, forever meaningless without context.

If you can wake one sleeping god, why not another?

Under rated and truthful.

> Meme warfare
> Not understanding that the Nation/religion/ideology IS the meme
> Not understanding why there are so many pseudo-racists, nationalist, authoritarian, rationalists kicking around
> Structure has been compromised

What are they fighting for?
What is there to meme?

All we are seeing is the implosion of the Californian empire and its retarded ideology of vapid consumerism and psychosis-as-culture.

No good men will be in control of these memes. This is not a question of should but should not. If the means to make memes gets out they, who I will refrain from speaking off, will abuse their power. This is not just Hiroshima. A few hundred thousand casualties of memetic warfare. This an entire change to the battle field.
We simply cannot allow this. Memes are not weapons of lords bit common men. We have our fire, do not let them take it from us.

Not gonna lie, former Trump voter here and it's hilarious watching him crash and burn but seriously we can't let this guy get the nuclear codes.

The government is paying some lazy bastard right now to roll for digits over and over

They're probably developing technology to make unholy gets.

Someone is paying the guy who posted above you to do that, too.

With a picture like that, you could be farming for (You)s and finding expert digit rollers to recruit.

Machine and Ruins

KEK

this guy gets it

>Wars are won and lost in peoples minds.
>The US spends a SHITTON on propaganda and propaganda research.
nonsense and all useless. check 5:25
youtube.com/watch?v=I-eVbJbgUpE

doc related is also the reason why if US decides to go to war with Iran they will lose badly, this generation doesn't take things seriously. propaganda/memes won't help.

The will of kek is strong with this post, giant mech battles are the way of the future

yeah kojima is actually more brilliant than initially thought.

KEK

Yeah but you could apply to be the person who studies them and get payed.
More money for the project brother
More money for the project

Were memes a mistake?

I've memed so long I forgot who I was.
What has happened to the world that the military is using memes

Wake me up

human is god tier
orc a shit

>memes funded by foreign governments
They just don't get it do they.
Meme-smiths can't be bought or paid for, no amount of cash will produce quality memes.

It looks like they miss the the real power of memetics. It is chaos magic, not just fancy propaganda.

Shadilay, praise kek pbuh

>If anal is anything like pooping, then I'm gay

Guess if I saw this on Sup Forums or in a bathroom stall

US goes to war with Iran.
Iran nukes Israel.
Israel nukes Iran.
We Win.

Praise Kek (pbuh)

The future is going to be something like MGS x Deus Ex. Wew

>vice

That's how you know this is horseshit

>foreign governments

Lefty cunts still pushing their muh evil Russians memes

For the record, all the memes I created during the great meme war were done for free.

No it's not. It's just another form of advertising, no magic is involved

Memes operate on the same principals as advertising, and ads themselves are the original memes

Great advertising is truly the last form of true magic

Die You Blasphemer. Your memes are nothing but jingles.

Praise Kek (pbuh)

>being this cucked

Advertising is a meme, pleb.
The old gods will have little patience for your foolish arrogance.

I remember joking about it a few years ago but fuck, this is actually becoming real. In 10 years or so memes will be a part of academic discourse, like literature.

>mfw all of us here will be tenured professors of meme studies or government contracted meme consultants with seven figure salaries
>mfw my vintage collection of 2008 Sup Forums reaction images will go for thousands of dollars in private auctions

youtube.com/watch?v=SZnkULuWFDg

Watch this shit, you fucking niggers

If you can't understand why, this explain all of it

digits. kek wills it.

You are sadly deceived

Advertising created memes. You are nothing but the creation of Madison Avenue advertisers

You do realize that which you call memes existed long before the internet, right?

So does this make all of us experts on memetic warfare and qualified for hugely profitable government contracts?

No, that can't be happening. I'm in charge here.

>You do realize that which you call memes existed long before the internet, right?

FUCK OFF NORMIE REEEEEEE

In the name of the Kek
And of the Pepe
And of the Repeating Numerals
Shadilay

>us govt creates internet (sorta)
>memes originate out of nothing and become living digital entities
>us govt now stusying the monsters they created

I dunno, it's a fun ride and I'd like to see it go further.

Trump has his own CTR you fool.

Yeah and we do it for free

Well I did it because of my unrelenting hatred of Hillary Clinton and everything she stands for in life. Trump was just a means to an end.

Should change al-cuckida for tumblr desu senpai